NCAA says that Alabama A&M miscertified 101 Student Athletes, receives sanctions

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
They didn't learn anything from us I guess. Hopefully, with McClelland in place, he will head this off with a proper hire to consult with each school.
By the time TSU, JSU and SU were fixed these other schools had already done enough to get in trouble. It's inevitable for pretty much all HBCUs. They go back years looking at the records.

Oh wow, I wonder how this will affect this year’s football season and the program going forward. It seemed like AAMU’s football program was beginning to make improvements.

Oh wow, I wonder how this will affect this year’s football season and the program going forward. It seemed like AAMU’s football program was beginning to make improvements.

No post season, (so it won't affect your football this year-that's sarcasm), but you will have a the following:

The penalties imposed by the NCAA Committee on Infractions in this case include:
- Five years of probation from Sept. 11, 2018, through Sept. 10, 2023.
- A vacation of records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible.
- A 2018-19 postseason ban for the baseball, men’s basketball, football and men’s golf teams.
- Scholarship reductions for the baseball, men’s basketball, football and men’s golf teams.
- Recruiting restrictions for the 2018-19 academic year, including:

So forth and so on...click the article in the first post!

Record keeping is key. We know HBCUs typically have issues with record keeping. Glad to read that AAMU has hired people to handle situations like this moving ahead.

They didn't learn anything from us I guess. Hopefully, with McClelland in place, he will head this off with a proper hire to consult with each school.

He spoke about this on Sunday on Black College Experience and gave an example of how a TxSU player checked in high school that he was going to be a Pre-Law major in college but ending up being a Business major. He graduated with a good GPA but because no one caught that, he was deemed ineligle and TxSU got reprimanded.

He stated that he hopes that with the rebranding of the SWAC, the additional monies that come in will help with APR so that each school can head off stuff like this

He spoke about this on Sunday on Black College Experience and gave an example of how a TxSU player checked in high school that he was going to be a Pre-Law major in college but ending up being a Business major. He graduated with a good GPA but because no one caught that, he was deemed ineligle and TxSU got reprimanded.

Yep! You'd be surprised how the NCAA comes down on an institution (well some) behind instances like this.

By the time TSU, JSU and SU were fixed these other schools had already done enough to get in trouble. It's inevitable for pretty much all HBCUs. They go back years looking at the records.

AAMU issues started in the 2011-2012 school year. TSU's ruling came down in Oct 2012 (2012-13 school year) and we began implementing our measures before the ruling. Therefore, the was a chance AAMU could've self-corrected and slapped themselves with their own penalties at that time. From what I know about Dr. McClleland, I would imagine he communicated to the rest of the SWAC's ADs and Presidents.

Per the article:
Since the beginning of the data review, the University implemented new processes and hired additional personnel in the areas of compliance, academics and registrar’s office to prevent future miscertifications.

When a member institution receives a penalty such as TSU, one would expect some type of self-review by each University and discussion conference-wide to check for the same improprieties. I think McClelland being in place will usher something like that through - if its not already being done and our member institutions keep screwing themselves over.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
AAMU issues started in the 2011-2012 school year. TSU's ruling came down in Oct 2012 (2012-13 school year) and we began implementing our measures before the ruling. Therefore, the was a chance AAMU could've self-corrected and slapped themselves with their own penalties at that time. From what I know about Dr. McClleland, I would imagine he communicated to the rest of the SWAC's ADs and Presidents.
That's not how it works. And actually I think JSU was first

We werent exactly apologetic to the NCAA about any of this. Can't fight against an NCAA investigation and come out unharmed.

Plus Hicks appealed the sanctions on multiple occasions. Eventually the NCAA was tired of the appeals and when they asked Mr Hicks for his proof on why they shouldn’t be reprimanded, he did not have an answer for the NCAA. So the NCAA did its job and issued the sanctions.

I am not close enough to the AAMU SITUATION to have an educated opinion of Mr Hicks but that AD is suspect from afar. Multiple sports for multiple years and still near the bottom every year of Commissioners Cup standings.

Plus Hicks appealed the sanctions on multiple occasions. Eventually the NCAA was tired of the appeals and when they asked Mr Hicks for his proof on why they shouldn’t be reprimanded, he did not have an answer for the NCAA. So the NCAA did its job and issued the sanctions.

SMH

Back