NCAA ready for a 8 team playoff?

The CFP deal was a 12-year agreement that indicated a 4-team playoff.

I doubt it expands until that deal expires much like we got the current system only after the BCS contract ran its course.,

The CFP deal was a 12-year agreement that indicated a 4-team playoff.

I doubt it expands until that deal expires much like we got the current system only after the BCS contract ran its course.,

If it means more money. That deal can be amended. Just need to get folks to the table who signed it and renegotiate.

How many of those guys in that article have a vote on whether or not they expand?

I am sure Barry has some pull. He is still the AD at Wisconsin. Hell he runs Wisconsin. They will get the Big Ten commish to voice their overall opinion. 6 or 8 is enough.

And now (some of) the talking heads on ESPN are shooting down the UCFs of the world before they expand to a 8 team playoff with the "they shouldn't be automatically given a berth to the 8 team playoff. This is why I am glad that CBS/Turner have control of the NCAA Tournament because ESPN would definitely eliminate all the auto berths

And now (some of) the talking heads on ESPN are shooting down the UCFs of the world before they expand to a 8 team playoff with the "they shouldn't be automatically given a berth to the 8 team playoff. This is why I am glad that CBS/Turner have control of the NCAA Tournament because ESPN would definitely eliminate all the auto berths

I actually agree with that for football simply because the schedules are vastly unequal, teams rarely play common opponents, and there are just too few games to allow teams to automatically make the CFP based on winning their league.

This problem would be fixed if they spread the money to every school in the FBS. Winning the national championship should not be about winning all the money.

I actually agree with that for football simply because the schedules are vastly unequal, teams rarely play common opponents, and there are just too few games to allow teams to automatically make the CFP based on winning their league.

Yeah but remember you were all about UCF when they beat Auburn. Wouldn't that somewhat qualify them to be a team worthy of playing in the playoffs if they continue the trend? I honestly think they're gonna give LSU a run in the Fiesta Bowl

Yeah but remember you were all about UCF when they beat Auburn. Wouldn't that somewhat qualify them to be a team worthy of playing in the playoffs if they continue the trend? I honestly think they're gonna give LSU a run in the Fiesta Bowl

I’m all for unbeaten teams getting in, not simply winning the conference, though because of the reasons I stated before.

Totally agreed. Georgia AND OSU have a legit beef over OU as best complete TEAM.

Neither one of them have beef.

Georgia lost by a combined 27 points to the two best teams on its schedule. Ohio State lost by 30 to a 6-6 team and were shaky down the stretch against Nebraska and Maryland despite thumping Michigan and Northwestern.

Oklahoma’s only loss was by a FG on a neutral field against a top 15 opponent that it later beat by double digits.

How?
I'm talking directly to each school. Not the money that goes to each conference that has a team in the playoffs.
That's how all of the money is distributed. To the conferences. But all of the CFP money is split among all D1 conferences. Even FCS gets a SMALL bit of it.

They won't vote to change that.

Georgia lost by a combined 27 points to the two best teams on its schedule. Ohio State lost by 30 to a 6-6 team and were shaky down the stretch against Nebraska and Maryland despite thumping Michigan and Northwestern.

Oklahoma’s only loss was by a FG on a neutral field against a top 15 opponent that it later beat by double digits.

Doesn't matter one bit. . We're talking strictly about 4 BEST TEAMS. Oklahoma is not one of them. If you can't play one lick of defense period and look like a JV defense, you are NOT one of the best teams. I don't care what Kyler Murray and the offense does. Key word..........better team, not offense. I can see Ohio State maybe because they're not as solid as Georgia, but I'm sorry, Georgia is a much better TEAM than OU. OU deserves to be there and I have no problem with that. That's why Herbsreit was all over this......it's about the verbage.......4 most deserving teams...........they got it right..........4 best teams......they got it wrong. Losing to a good LSU in Baton Rouge is not like they lost to Vanderbilt.

Doesn't matter one bit. . We're talking strictly about 4 BEST TEAMS. Oklahoma is not one of them. If you can't play one lick of defense period and look like a JV defense, you are NOT one of the best teams. I don't care what Kyler Murray and the offense does. Key word..........better team, not offense. I can see Ohio State maybe because they're not as solid as Georgia, but I'm sorry, Georgia is a much better TEAM than OU. OU deserves to be there and I have no problem with that. That's why Herbsreit was all over this......it's about the verbage.......4 most deserving teams...........they got it right..........4 best teams......they got it wrong. Losing to a good LSU in Baton Rouge is not like they lost to Vanderbilt.

Since there are limited playoff spots, the outcome of games has to factor in determining the four best teams in the country. You’re suggesting that losing to good teams should carry more weight than actually winning. As good as UGA is, it isn’t logical to say a team that lost by 20 and then blew a two-touchdown lead in a conference championship game, should get in over a one-loss P5 conference champion, or even move up over an undefeated Notre Dame team, as Kirk Herbstreit tried to argue. MUCH BETTER teams don’t allow that to happen. No other program with those same variables would or should get the benefit of the doubt like you’re giving Georgia.

Since there are limited playoff spots, the outcome of games has to factor in determining the four best teams in the country. You’re suggesting that losing to good teams should carry more weight than actually winning. As good as UGA is, it isn’t logical to say a team that lost by 20 and then blew a two-touchdown lead in a conference championship game, should get in over a one-loss P5 conference champion, or even move up over an undefeated Notre Dame team, as Kirk Herbstreit tried to argue. MUCH BETTER teams don’t allow that to happen. No other program with those same variables would or should get the benefit of the doubt like you’re giving Georgia.

I'm not suggesting anything about the weight of Georgia's loss.....nowhere in my last post did I say that........which means you totally missed my point......I didn't say Georgia should be in this year over OU or Notre Dame. That's not the point I'm trying to make. OU deserves it because of their season and finish I already said that. . I'm simply saying Georgia is a better overall team than OU. I don't care if they lost by 20 to LSU in Baton Rouge. At least LSU was a good ranked team. You say much better teams don't allow this or that.........well, much better teams don't allow 40+ points to unranked bad teams either on multiple occasions OU allowed 40 to unanked Kansas at home,47 to unranked Okla State at home a 46 to unranked Texas Tech, 33 to a bad Baylor team. Good TEAMS don't do that. a good OFFENSE is what got them through. The defense is JV at best.

Either way, I don't care what Georgia did against LSU, it doesn't make OU a better TEAM.....meaning you have to be good on both sides of the ball and they're not.

Last edited:

Alabama was the number one seed. LSU was ranked number three and at home.
Georgia's strength of schedule is better than Oklahoma's.
Name one current top ten team that Oklahoma has beaten. Don't worry, I'll tell you. ZERO!!
Texas ranked at No. 14 is the highest ranked team Oklahoma has beaten.
One can almost guarantee that if you had to bet your life on who'd win between Georgia and Oklahoma, you'd choose Georgia.

Back