My Pastor has a big house....

:lol: @ some of these unrealistic responses!!!

Like my moma would say it: Ya'll know goodn' well that ANYTIME you do some work (other than community service), you would EXPECT to be compensated.
Singing, recording music, writing a book (which on average takes 6 months to YEARS)--- ALL of that is work... and a lot times more work than just a regular 8-to-5.
Regardless of the message, it's still WORK. If you donated a portion back into ministry, I think that's GREAT and deserving! But if you take absolutely nothing for the labor you put in (and may not have any other source of income, such as a recording artist)---- you is a fool. God did give us common sense, you know?

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
So they should go into the business of spreading the gospel with the intent of making a living? There are other artists(not even gospel) that do it out of pure joy.

...and they still get paid.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
J4J said:
Why shouldn't they? It is a job too?

Sony doesn't work for free....gospel or not.
NOOOOOOOOO........ Stop. Why do we sing? To worship God. Is there anytime that we sing gospel songs and do not worship God? I would hope not but to answer my question NO.

We dont do this for entertainment. This is not something we turn on and off. WE WORSHIP AND PRAISE GOD ALL THE TIME!!!!!! With that in mind, should a person be paid to Worship God or lead in a worship service?

My answer is NO!!

Are you getting it? We worship an all time God, people. All time.

docmump said:
NOOOOOOOOO........ Stop. Why do we sing? To worship God. Is there anytime that we sing gospel songs and do not worship God? I would hope not but to answer my question NO.

We dont do this for entertainment. This is not something we turn on and off. WE WORSHIP AND PRAISE GOD ALL THE TIME!!!!!! With that in mind, should a person be paid to Worship God or lead in a worship service?

My answer is NO!!

With that being said, do you purchase books/tapes/CDs about God and spirituality, and do you purchase gospel CDs??????
If so, you're supporting those who "shouldn't" be paid for their work. :rolleyes:

CriTAUcal said:
With that being said, do you purchase books/tapes/CDs about God and spirituality, and do you purchase gospel CDs??????
If so, you're supporting those who "shouldn't" be paid for their work. :rolleyes:
Yes, I buy gospel CDs. I believe I am supporting the ministry work when I buy the CDs. But I think that is seperate from getting paid for profit off the ministry work.

I will support the ministry.

docmump said:
Yes, I buy gospel CDs. I believe I am supporting the ministry work when I buy the CDs. But I think that is seperate from getting paid for profit off the ministry work.

I will support the ministry.

You can put it that way. But your money (once it leaves your hands) is supporting the artist, TOO.

docmump said:

My answer is NO!!

So preachers shouldn't get paid either, then?

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
No they don't. I know one that works with me. Very talented cat....doesn't make a lick from it...he just does it for fun.

Good for him!!! :tup:

But those who do receive money for whatever ministry shouldn't be looked down upon.

My brother who has an absolutely beautiful tenor and bass voice and is also a church elder also sings and preaches without expecting a dime! And I say good for him, too! Slowly clapping my hands. But that doesn't make my brother and anybody else more annointed or sincere about "spreading the gospel."

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
Should a preacher turn down preaching at a church if they can't pay him?

Should you turn down a job if the employer cannot pay you?

He could volunteer but since he has to work someplace else to support himself they should not expect a lot of his time.

CriTAUcal said:
But your money (once it leaves your hands) is supporting the artist, TOO.

Agree 100%. No established artists is going to give away CDs or do free performances. Spreading the gospel thru music is how they make a living, they have to eat so...........

Back to the Pastor issue. I don't bedrudge(sp) them for anything God blesses them with. As long as they aren't doing anything illegal or taking from the church, fine. Personally, when God provides the means I won't be as lavish as some. For example, our Pastor recently was blessed with a Bentley. For those that don't now, even low end Bentleys start at around 300K. There's no way I'd put that kind of money in a car, but that's just me. He is well known and liked throughout the city so maybe he got a great deal. But unless God said "go get a Bentley and nothing else" is the only way I'd do it. Now before becoming full-time, he worked in the computer field so I'm sure he has excellent income. Plus he does have books out and does speaking engagements at other churches. Still, I would've gone with a top of the line Benz maybe, with all the accessories I wanted for 150K tops. The other half would go into the ministry. But God can overwhelm us with blessings folks, giving us more than we can ask or think. I believe my pastor is an example of that.... if you're obedient and faithful He'll trust you with much.

jag4life said:
Should you turn down a job if the employer cannot pay you?

He could volunteer but since he has to work someplace else to support himself they should not expect a lot of his time.

So then guiding souls as an overseer should be approached as a way to make a living? The church should have to pay him to get his full attention?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
BLAQUE PRINCE said:
So then guiding souls as an overseer should be approached as a way to make a living? The church should have to pay him to get his full attention?

Priests in Bible days lived off the church...

I guess churches should just let the pastors live in the building and provide groceries and transportation. But then people would have a problem with that too.

jag4life said:
Priests in Bible days lived off the church...

I guess churches should just let the pastors live in the building and provide groceries and transportation. But then people would have a problem with that too.

My congregation in my home town has a house for the minister. I have no problem with the church paying and taking care of the minister. My question was should they expect it. What is the reason for taking on that position? Theres a fine line here between being compensated for something you do from your heart and doing something to be compensated.

docmump said:

My answer is NO!!

You don't get it. If Joe Schmoe records Gospel CD1 and Worship CD1. I buy it because I want to use it to worship God. Should he not be paid for his work. Every time the record plays...it is a record not the person. So the person who sang it is not worshipping every time I play the record.

Now, my worship and prayers are to God...not anyone else. But if I sing a song that helps you worship and I DESIGNATE it as free...that is different. But if it is my calling sing like Kathy-Taylor Brown and that is my gift, guess what I am gonna be doing...singing praises, writing new praise songs, directing choirs, making more worship songs as this my gift and my way of making a living. YES, I want to be paid and YES I WILL GET PAID.

Singing praise songs and making praise songs as a gift IS A MINISTRY too....but with the amount of time that is put into creating quality, spirit filled song selections should be compensated for....

As a minister of the gospel, I agree they should be on salary. One pastor (not mine)...said, "YES, I am on salary; they pay me so I won't steal!" It was a joke but seriously ...they should be compensated for their time. IF THEIR CHURCH deems a salary is better than have Pastor's anniversary...Pastor's appreciation,...organist's appreciate....usher board appreciation...etc...Put them on salary and then you don't have to be outside of sunday school selling cakes all year.

FAB5 said:
Agree 100%. No established artists is going to give away CDs or do free performances. Spreading the gospel thru music is how they make a living, they have to eat so...........

Back to the Pastor issue. I don't bedrudge(sp) them for anything God blesses them with. As long as they aren't doing anything illegal or taking from the church, fine. Personally, when God provides the means I won't be as lavish as some. For example, our Pastor recently was blessed with a Bentley. For those that don't now, even low end Bentleys start at around 300K. There's no way I'd put that kind of money in a car, but that's just me. He is well known and liked throughout the city so maybe he got a great deal. But unless God said "go get a Bentley and nothing else" is the only way I'd do it. Now before becoming full-time, he worked in the computer field so I'm sure he has excellent income. Plus he does have books out and does speaking engagements at other churches. Still, I would've gone with a top of the line Benz maybe, with all the accessories I wanted for 150K tops. The other half would go into the ministry. But God can overwhelm us with blessings folks, giving us more than we can ask or think. I believe my pastor is an example of that.... if you're obedient and faithful He'll trust you with much.

I agree with you.....

"good measure,,...pressed down...shaken together and running over...."

You know there was a time when I made $4.00/hour. I tithed off that money faithfully....and that is when I learned the meaning of "open up a window of heaven an pour you out a blessing that you will NOT have ROOM enough to receive it...." In one day, I got 3 job OFFERS...couldn't taken all three.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
My congregation in my home town has a house for the minister. I have no problem with the church paying and taking care of the minister. My question was should they expect it. What is the reason for taking on that position? Theres a fine line here between being compensated for something you do from your heart and doing something to be compensated.

If he/she is to survive in this world, he/she should. :lol: Come on now.
According to some of ya'll responses, some of ya'll acting like a preacher/pastor should be homeless, broke with no ambition to survive or push for a comfortable lfe in this world. And should also ONLY rely on a church to provide for them. And a writer/artist should pour back all their money into something he/she has labored for.
A pastor/preacher is STILL human. They have to make a living, just like ANY of us.
Where is the common sense in all this????
And who's to say it's not from the heart, if you receive money for it?

Another point...

How about the Gospel artists do the Gospel music for free and just to make a living...record secular music? Wouold that be better for some of you?

jag4life said:
Another point...

How about the Gospel artists do the Gospel music for free and just to make a living...record secular music? Wouold that be better for some of you?

It won't make a difference.
Let's be real: Some folks are making statements that they themselves wouldn't live by, if their profession or sidework was ministry/music/literature.

One more point....

When finding your nitch in life...isn't it better to do what you are GIFTED in doing and LOVE to do as opposed to doing what you love for free but being forced to do something you don't like because it isn't free?

GIVE NOT GRUDGINGLY FOR THE LORD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER...well how can a person give their time singing if they don't like singing and can't sing?

Funny to me is why ONLY the ministers/pastors/bishops/ and preachers are "required" to give their ALL to the "ministry". Why don't we all "sacrifice" ALL of what we have and "give" to the ministry like they did in the latter part of Acts chapter4? Why don't we trade in our Escalades for a bicycle & our manions for the cheapest shanty money can buy. Why shouldn't secular artists "give" all of their proceeds to advance ministry?
Why aren't bibles FREE? We shouldn't have to pay for the printed Word.
Why doesn't the utility company provide Free Electricity to all churches?
Shouldn't these mega-churches be built FREE of CHARGE?
Why do we pay for Sunday School Books? They should be FREE!

Back