My Pastor has a big house....

nevaehinvesting

...and a lot of other nice things. ;)

A lot has been said on this board about Preachers vs Money, what they should vs should not have.
Lets use this thread to close the issue.

I know a little about these 3 pastors so I'll use them as examples for discussion.

1. TD Jakes
2. I.V. Hillard
3. The Osteens

ALL 3 men are well-off preachers with nice incomes, cars, houses, etc and similar testimonies.

TD Jakes was dirt poor. He said that his choir was made up of 5 people and 3 of them were his kids. He said he would drive like 2 hours to preach to 8 people, half being family. He and his wife had to struggle to make ends meet, have a beat up car, and old apartment but they never lost faith.

I.V. Hillard was struggling. He and his wife drove an old ugly bus around because they couldn't afford anything else. They were broke all the time. Times were tough but they stayed faithful to God and did what He wanted them to do which was spread the Gospel inspite of their less than desirable circumstances.

Joel's family (father) picked cotton and was poor. John Osteen dropped out of school when he 17 to pick cotton like his own father, and grandfather did. None of his family was educated and everyone had major problems. They were not realizing God's blessings at all and didn't care. They were the definition of real poverty.

***Long stories short, much of their lives was filled with poverty, struggling, and lack. They didn't have much money or members. BUT, they were all faithful in little so God gave them more, and more, and more.

More people came to hear them preach that they couldn't turn away and so they eventually had 'mega-churches'. They became financially savy (not crooked) & started investing, writing books, selling cds, starting businesses, & literally spreading the gospel to the world which also meant making more money.

After 20yrs+, in some cases, of struggling and building and pushing through, they were no longer poor, but rich. No longer driving old cars, but new cars. No longer living in old apartments, but a big houses. No longer preaching to 8 people, buy 80 million people. They had given so much of their lives that God began to give back more than they could imagine or think.

The good thing is that they all give God 100% praise for their blessings and success. They all tithe and give offerings and give their daily lives to spreading the news of Jesus to millions. Their ministries bless more people than ever before.

Now, my question is, after struggling for years upon years, more money comes in to these guys, as long as more people are getting saved and they're not stealing tithe money, how much money + material things do these men get to enjoy, and still be saved?

If they get 300K from books, 275K from cds, 200K outside business ventures, 100K personal donations from around the world, 100K church salary, etc then
#1. is it greedy to have a S500 Mercedes?
#2. What about a 800k house?
#3. What about a private jet?
#4. What about a 80 million dollar church building?

Should they buy a honda accord and give MORE of their earned money to church? Should they buy no more than a 2,000 sqft house and give MORE money to church?

And, if you think that they're just all about themselves, then how do you explain the 20years of being poor and still remaining faithfull to God? :confused:

That was long but I was just wondering....

nevaehinvesting said:
Oh, if it were that simple. I understand your statement but, something tells me there will be those that think well-to-do pastors should revert back to & stay stuggling to make ends meet, driving an old, ugly bus, & picking cotton. Sometimes one has to ignore certain things & keep on living as "He" blesses. ;)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
nevaehinvesting said:
...and a lot of other nice things. ;)

A lot has been said on this board about Preachers vs Money, what they should vs should not have.

I know a little about these 3 pastors so I'll use them as examples for discussion.

1. TD Jakes
2. I.V. Hillard
3. The Osteens

ALL 3 men are well-off preachers with nice incomes, cars, houses, etc and similar testimonies.

TD Jakes was dirt poor. He said that his choir was made up of 5 people and 3 of them were his kids. He said he would drive like 2 hours to preach to 8 people, half being family. He and his wife had to struggle to make ends meet, have a beat up car, and old apartment but they never lost faith.

I.V. Hillard was struggling. He and his wife drove an old ugly bus around because they couldn't afford anything else. They were broke all the time. Times were tough but they stayed faithful to God and did what He wanted them to do which was spread the Gospel inspite of their less than desirable circumstances.

Joel's family (father) picked cotton and was poor. John Osteen dropped out of school when he 17 to pick cotton like his own father, and grandfather did. None of his family was educated and everyone had major problems. They were not realizing God's blessings at all and didn't care. They were the definition of real poverty.

***Long stories short, much of their lives was filled with poverty, struggling, and lack. They didn't have much money or members. BUT, they were all faithful in little so God gave them more, and more, and more.

More people came to hear them preach that they couldn't turn away and so they eventually had 'mega-churches'. They became financially savy (not crooked) & started investing, writing books, selling cds, starting businesses, & literally spreading the gospel to the world which also meant making more money.

After 20yrs+, in some cases, of struggling and building and pushing through, they were no longer poor, but rich. No longer driving old cars, but new cars. No longer living in old apartments, but a big houses. No longer preaching to 8 people, buy 80 million people. They had given so much of their lives that God began to give back more than they could imagine or think.

The good thing is that they all give God 100% praise for their blessings and success. They all tithe and give offerings and give their daily lives to spreading the news of Jesus to millions. Their ministries bless more people than ever before.

Now, my question is, after struggling for years upon years, more money comes in to these guys, as long as more people are getting saved and they're not stealing tithe money, how much money + material things do these men get to enjoy, and still be saved?

If they get 300K from books, 275K from cds, 200K outside business ventures, 100K personal donations from around the world, 100K church salary, etc then
#1. is it greedy to have a S500 Mercedes?
#2. What about a 800k house?
#3. What about a private jet?
#4. What about a 80 million dollar church building?

Should they buy a honda accord and give MORE of their earned money to church? Should they buy no more than a 2,000 sqft house and give MORE money to church?

And, if you think that they're just all about themselves, then how do you explain the 20years of being poor and still remaining faithfull to God? :confused:

That was long but I was just wondering....
You know nevaehinvesting, lets talk about it then. Dont hold back, Ok?

Do I have a problem with any one of the gospel preachers you listed above? No, I do not.

When doing work for the Lord, I to believe he will bless you. He will grant you the desires of your heart. Give you money. The only problem I have is when people make money off the ministry, make a profit. That is what you posted above.
See all this work we do should not be for money(profit), even though there is a cost. It does take money to "write a book, make a cd, travel, eat, speak, etc." (to do the ministry work) but a minister should not get rich as a result. That is the problem I have with gospel music. Too many people are trying to get rich off the ministry of the gospel. This ministry is about scarifice. No one should be getting rich off this ministry. If a person makes money off "private businesses", that's fine. But this money should not be made of the ministry.

That's my only concern. People prostituting the gospel ministry to make money. I.E. Talent Searches, Gospel American Idol (You know this is coming soon.), Charging admission to a church to go to a concert, Gospel plays at these large auditoriums, etc.

The end result should not be for profit but to further support the ministry.

NOTE: Docmump's opinion.

I like this thread....GOD's people are suppose to be blessed. I'm glad his sheppards have big, pretty, nice homes. :tup:

docmump said:
See all this work we do should not be for money(profit), even though there is a cost.

Yes, there is a cost. Nothing is free, not even for those who are doing "ministry."
It's not free to make books, CDs, DVDs, to RENT auditoriums or arenas. It all has a cost.
Even to hold a HUGE event like MegaFest---- it costs. Yes, I'm sure they do get money back on it, but they are also putting out money for renting, security, staff, production, musicians, famous speakers, etc.

Some people just want to believe that all those things come together for free, just because it's "ministry." Even with TV ministries: Those evangelists are NOT getting free airtime... and airtime is NOT cheap!!!
These large, successful ministries we see do have a pretty price, ya'll.
We only see one side of it and are quick to form a negative opinion.

And let's be real: Ministers/evangelists, etc. are still human. If YOU put work into to producing a book or CD (even if it's for uplifting Jesus), you are STILL going to want to get compensated---- just like any other author or artist.

CriTAUcal said:
Yes, there is a cost. Nothing is free, not even for those who are doing "ministry."
It's not free to make books, CDs, DVDs, to RENT auditoriums or arenas. It all has a cost.
Even to hold a HUGE event like MegaFest---- it costs. Yes, I'm sure they do get money back on it, but they are also putting out money for renting, security, staff, production, musicians, famous speakers, etc.

Some people just want to believe that all those things come together for free, just because it's "ministry." Even with TV ministries: Those evangelists are NOT getting free airtime... and airtime is NOT cheap!!!
These large, successful ministries we see do have a pretty price, ya'll.
We only see one side of it and are quick to form a negative opinion.

And let's be real: Ministers/evangelists, etc. are still human. If YOU put work into to producing a book or CD (even if it's for uplifting Jesus), you are STILL going to want to get compensated---- just like any other author or artist.
What did you say that I did not say. I see we said the same thing. Yes, there is a cost but we should not be putting on a gospel concert to make money.

Opps, missed the last paragraph, Did Jesus get paid? How about John, Luke, Paul and all his letters? Did they get paid? No, it was all evangelical work. Did you know the Pope, does all his speaking engagements for free. He takes a vow of poverty. All the money is funded back into the catholic church.

docmump said:
What did you say that I did not say. I see we said the same thing. Yes, there is a cost but we should not be putting on a gospel concert to make money.

Uhhhh doc, I was not arguing against you. I elaborated on your statement about it still costs.

My pastor has a big house and a nice car and wears really nice suits and robes and travels all over the world and I am happy for him. Being a minister is his profession. He runs a business with gross receipts of over $5 million dollars annually (ALL through tithes and offerings, we don't sell fish plates or host $1 pew rallys :rolleyes: ), employs 105 employees, physical plant worth $8 million dollars and a charitable foundation that gives millions of dollars a year in the form of donations, scholarship, community outreach and mission work. We pay him a salary commensurate with the income of a CEO, that's what he is; we do not have a pastor's anniversary, but if you want to buy him a gift and give it to him, or give him money, that's on you. He has been pastor for 44 years and for his 40th anniversary, we FORCED (insisted, gingerly) him to have a special program, DURING regular service and it happened to be on his 70th birthday. The members, VOLUNTARILY, gave him $70,000 cash (one member gave $40,000 of that) as a gift to commemorate his 40 years of faithful, diligent service to Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church.

He deserves the salary he is paid. And if he speaks somewhere, or publishes a book that is his intellectual property and he SHOULD be paid for it.

Besides, I don't want to see my pastor riding around in a raggedy car and living in a tore up shotgun house. I want to see him preach and prosper and I want to learn and prosper.

Seeing Spots said:
My pastor has a big house and a nice car and wears really nice suits and robes and travels all over the world and I am happy for him. Being a minister is his profession. He runs a business with gross receipts of over $5 million dollars annually (ALL through tithes and offerings, we don't sell fish plates or host $1 pew rallys :rolleyes: ), employs 105 employees, physical plant worth $8 million dollars and a charitable foundation that gives millions of dollars a year in the form of donations, scholarship, community outreach and mission work. We pay him a salary commensurate with the income of a CEO, that's what he is; we do not have a pastor's anniversary, but if you want to buy him a gift and give it to him, or give him money, that's on you. He has been pastor for 44 years and for his 40th anniversary, we FORCED (insisted, gingerly) him to have a special program, DURING regular service and it happened to be on his 70th birthday. The members, VOLUNTARILY, gave him $70,000 cash (one member gave $40,000 of that) as a gift to commemorate his 40 years of faithful, diligent service to Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church.

He deserves the salary he is paid. And if he speaks somewhere, or publishes a book that is his intellectual property and he SHOULD be paid for it.

Besides, I don't want to see my pastor riding around in a raggedy car and living in a tore up shotgun house. I want to see him preach and prosper and I want to learn and prosper.

<font size=10>AMEN!!!!</font>

For the life of me, I can't seem to fathom why soooooooo many so-called Christians, Believers, etc. have such an issue w/this. :xeye:

I like this topic as well. My Pastors here in Kansas City do have a verry nice house and drive a Escalade and a Chrysler (Bentley Look alike). But one thing that they do not do is let those material things get in the way of teaching the true unadulterated Word of GOD. Also the church as a whole is prospering because of the prosperity of our leaders. We have just closed on a 160,000 sq ft building that our new worship facility will be housed and we always have members that have either closed on a new house or got a new or better job. Prosperity has a way of rubbing off on everybody, especially if the leaders of the church are not greedy and just involved in what they can keep and hide. Too many pastors and bishops that get the big churches and big things lose sight of what is important and how God blessed them to be in the situation that they are.

SU's Finest '93 said:
For the life of me, I can't seem to fathom why soooooooo many so-called Christians, Believers, etc. have such an issue w/this. :xeye:
I would say IGNORANCE but, someone might say I'm name calling.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
docmump said:
What did you say that I did not say. I see we said the same thing. Yes, there is a cost but we should not be putting on a gospel concert to make money...
I agree. Gospel music is a ministry. Here is a thought: Let's have everyone give 10% of their income for the establishment of a budget base. Then, lets have everyone give liberal offerings in addition to that. With that we can fund and establish a full-time staff of people including those in music ministry. We can deploy those persons multiple times each week to go into the marketplace and evangelize with their musical talents. Their families will be well-supported and the kingdom can grow much more rapidly...What do you mean that people will not be willing to give like that? I know that God's people just love obeying what he says and walking in blessing. I'm sure that we will have no problem getting 95% participation in this method if we just put it out there before the people.

docmump said:
...Opps, missed the last paragraph, Did Jesus get paid? How about John, Luke, Paul and all his letters? Did they get paid? No, it was all evangelical work. Did you know the Pope, does all his speaking engagements for free. He takes a vow of poverty. All the money is funded back into the catholic church.
You had better believe they got paid. No one's ministry runs on nothing. Jesus has a caravan at least of twelve men with him going around the countryside. At least some of those men had families who had to be supported. We do read of one incident where Jesus sent someone fishing for taxes. Was that out of NEED for the ministry? I doubt that was the lesson that Jesus was teaching.

1 Cor 9:13-14

Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

In the OT, the Levites (a family) lived off ALL of the offerings that were brought in. They took care of the temple and the holy things, but everything else was THEIRS. Can you imagine what would be said in forums like these of the heads of large and successful ministries today if such an approach was taken. Scandalous.

I know I've said it before and I'll say it again. The most meaningful statement I have seen come from a minister about this topic in a nutshell is this.

- I am not going to ride better than the poorest person in this congregation when its off the money they come here and give to the Lord.

That man could not stand to see people struggling while he rides fat off the money THEY give.

Before you ask as someone did before yes he has made motivational tapes and other productions and alot of it was given away free of charge at the time.

I find that comment about the pope very interesting.

Fortitude said:
Oh, if it were that simple. I understand your statement but, something tells me there will be those that think well-to-do pastors should revert back to & stay stuggling to make ends meet, driving an old, ugly bus, & picking cotton. Sometimes one has to ignore certain things & keep on living as "He" blesses. ;)

My pastor put it like this...

"I guess they want all of us out in the parking lot hot-wiring cars and jumping cars off other folks batteries..."

IF THOU ARE FAITHFUL OVER A FEW THINGS, I WILL MAKE YOU RULER OVER MANY.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS REQUIRED.

J4J said:
My pastor put it like this...

"I guess they want all of us out in the parking lot hot-wiring cars and jumping cars off other folks batteries..."

Why when this conversation comes up there is never anything in between. Either its something from www.cadillacunder5.com or barely rolling.

CHILD, I don't know why people don't want others to live well and look well and HELP YOU to do the same! Problem is the ones who need the help don't want him to preach about money or about how to live better TODAY....CHILD if they saw my pastor's house, they'd faint! :D Honest to God, they'd faint! HOWEVER, I'd like to bestow this heanh on the folks who don't want them to have:

MY PASTOR CAME FROM 5TH WARD (THE NICKEL) TEXAS....FOR THOSE DON'T KNOW...THAT IS THE HOOD. HE WENT TO ONE OF GREATEST SCHOOLS OF BUSINESS IN THIS COUNTRY; WORKED ON WALL STREET MAKING SIX FIGURES.....AND UPON GETTING HIS CALLING...DROPPED THAT SIX FIGURE JOB TO PREACH TO 25 PEOPLE IN A FAILING LITTLE METHODIST CHURCH IN SOUTHWEST HOUSTON...

RECALLING: IF thou are faithful over a few things I will make you ruler over many!

....my pastor was faithful and has been faithful. Today, our church is the largest of its kind. My pastor can't help that. If he has helped somebody then his living is not in vain. His sermons (given by God) have been life-changing for me. He's helped me and continues to help me in the messages that GOD uses him to deliver to us...

I am glad he is doing well.

Seeing Spots said:

blaque prince: I did not click the link....don't know what you mean.

ALL I KNOW IS THAT I LOVE TO LIVE GOOD AND I WANT EVERYONE ELSE TO LIVE GOOD TOO...

GIVE A MAN A FISH, HE CAN EAT TODAY. TEACH HIM TO FISH, HE'LL EAT FOR A LIFE TIME.

K~, they don't care WHERE Rev. "came from," the bottoms, 5th Ward, the projects etc. just as long as he "STAYS" at that level of living. Anything better is sacrilegious.

dacontinent said:
I agree. Gospel music is a ministry. Here is a thought: Let's have everyone give 10% of their income for the establishment of a budget base. Then, lets have everyone give liberal offerings in addition to that. With that we can fund and establish a full-time staff of people including those in music ministry. We can deploy those persons multiple times each week to go into the marketplace and evangelize with their musical talents. Their families will be well-supported and the kingdom can grow much more rapidly...What do you mean that people will not be willing to give like that? I know that God's people just love obeying what he says and walking in blessing. I'm sure that we will have no problem getting 95% participation in this method if we just put it out there before the people.
Dac, you are correct. God Blesses. My point is this. Why is the one who is musically talented playing? Why is he/she going into the marketplace? It is not to support their families. Not to go out and make money. Not even to go out to generate funds for the ministry. The purpose for him/her going is to introduce a sinner to Jesus Christ. That is with every Christian. Now, I agree that a pastor should have a 10 bedroom / 11 bathroom house. But I do not believe he should get it on the selling of tapes, CDs, books, DVDs, etc. But the church should supply his needs.

dacontinent said:
You had better believe they got paid. No one's ministry runs on nothing. Jesus has a caravan at least of twelve men with him going around the countryside. At least some of those men had families who had to be supported. We do read of one incident where Jesus sent someone fishing for taxes. Was that out of NEED for the ministry? I doubt that was the lesson that Jesus was teaching.

1 Cor 9:13-14

Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

In the OT, the Levites (a family) lived off ALL of the offerings that were brought in. They took care of the temple and the holy things, but everything else was THEIRS. Can you imagine what would be said in forums like these of the heads of large and successful ministries today if such an approach was taken. Scandalous.
Yes, that is true but remember what else did the Levites do? Nothing, they took care of the temple and the holy things only. They did not grow gardens. They did not work in the fields. They did not fight in the army. They worked in the temple and in other holy buildings. "Only." They were the priestly tribe and for their sacrifice, God gave them "all the offerings that were brought in."

Once again, I believe a pastor can have a "Big House".

Fortitude said:
K~, they don't care WHERE Rev. "came from," the bottoms, 5th Ward, the projects etc. just as long as he "STAYS" at that level of living. Anything better is sacrilegious.

M~, I get it now. They don't want him to live above poverty. Ok.

Back