Monique's Netflix deal was way worse than previously thought

drOoltI.jpg

Hmmmm....

Details and facts matter. Murphy's deal makes him Netflix-exclusive, Rhimes' deal does not, something she clarified last month. We also have no idea how many shows each will need to create with Netflix under their respective deals. Rhimes' deal also allows her to get paid on the back end on top of the $100 million. Besides, has Shonda complained about the terms of her agreement? Who's fight is this?

Details and facts matter. Murphy's deal makes him Netflix-exclusive, Rhimes' deal does not, something she clarified last month. We also have no idea how many shows each will need to create with Netflix under their respective deals. Rhimes' deal also allows her to get paid on the back end on top of the $100 million. Besides, has Shonda complained about the terms of her agreement? Who's fight is this?

The fight is for those individuals who believe that racial & gender inequality is very real not only in Hollywood but American society.

Just because she (Shonda Rhimes) has not complained publicly doesn't mean she has not complained to Netflix.

The fight is for those individuals who believe that racial & gender inequality is very real not only in Hollywood but American society.

Just because she (Shonda Rhimes) has not complained publicly doesn't mean she has not complained to Netflix.
You can't assume she complained at all.

You can't assume she complained at all.

I never assumed she did (read my post)... My response was to him/her assuming that she (Shonda Rhimes) has not...

Some folk on here so thirsty for a response that they don't read...

Last edited:

So nothing about how their deals are vastly different? Regardless, I didn't assume she had or hadn't, I asked a question. People have started and boosted a petition with zero knowledge of how Shonda's deal is structured or whether she's upset about it. Regardless, the assertion that financial issues in Hollywood are in any way linked to those facing the larger society is laughable at best. Change never occurs from the top down.

So nothing about how their deals are vastly different? Regardless, I didn't assume she had or hadn't, I asked a question. People have started and boosted a petition with zero knowledge of how Shonda's deal is structured or whether she's upset about it. Regardless, the assertion that financial issues in Hollywood are in any way linked to those facing the larger society is laughable at best. Change never occurs from the top down.

That's your opinion and still doesn't negate the fact that racial & gender inequality exist in both spaces...

I think that's why Monique is pushing this grass roots effort is because black women are not at the top and never have been at the top.

Shyt black folk have been fighting this fight for years via civil rights and other vehicles and those same individuals either in the background or forefront were also labeled trouble makers just like Monique.

Last edited:
I wonder how many folk would be riding for Eddie Murphy if he wanted to come back and Netflix came at him sideways....

How many black comedians & entertainers got screwed over when it came to contacts & paychecks and eventually died poor & broke based on exactly what Monique is fighting for right now...

That's your opinion and still doesn't negate the fact that racial & gender inequality exist in both spaces...

I think that's why Monique is pushing this grass roots effort is because black women are not at the top and never have been at the top.

Shyt black folk have been fighting this fight for years via civil rights and other vehicles and those same individuals either in the background or forefront were also labeled trouble makers just like Monique.

No she's only pushing this because she is self serving and wants others to help fight her fight. The inequities in pay have always and will always be there. She better go overseas and try to get paid because she's burned her bridge and won't be able to cross over it again.

No she's only pushing this because she is self serving and wants others to help fight her fight. The inequities in pay have always and will always be there. She better go overseas and try to get paid because she's burned her bridge and won't be able to cross over it again.

That's a defeatist attitude...

That's like telling black slaves that slavery will always be here so get comfortable and get used to it...

That's like telling civil rights leaders that the civil, social & racial injustices you are experiencing now will always exist in America and what you are doing is wasting your and black people's time. Just go & kick rocks...

I have heard her mention on several interviews that this is not only about her but for those who came before her & after her... (See 2015 interview below)

Last edited:
Its amazing that in 2018 we have a segment of black folk and men in particular that will not stand up for their women...

You don't hear White, Asian, Hispanic or Jewish men going HAM on their women because they are speaking up and demanding more. They understand and stay on code despite if they PERSONALLY like the individual or not...

My people...

That's a defeatist attitude...

That's like telling black slaves that slavery will always be here so get comfortable and get used to it...

That's like telling civil rights leaders that the civil, social & racial injustices you are experiencing now will always exist in America and what you are doing is wasting your and black people's time. Just go & kick rocks...

I have heard her mention on several interviews that this is not only about her but for those who came before her & after her... (See 2015 interview below)

Those are apples and oranges...
She never had a problem until it affected her personally and wants others to fight her fight.
Like I've said before she's not a legend in my eyes, so don't compare herself to being one.

Those are apples and oranges...
She never had a problem until it affected her personally and wants others to fight her fight.
Like I've said before she's not a legend in my eyes, so don't compare herself to being one.

Well you made the blanket statement and now want to say its apples & oranges...

I would rather folk just say they don't like Monique personally or her comedy than to sit up here and justify racial & gender inequality...

I think if you go & listen to the BC interview you will hear Monique point out various instances where she has always stood up for POC...

She just didn't jump on this wave with Netflix doc...

But then again when black folk stand up for other black people they get labeled as trouble makers, demonized or even worse...

Last edited:
Back