Mike Davis

We can define Davis tenure as success. Won several SWAC championships, beat a nationally ranked team, and won an NCAA tournament game. The real question is...Can a coach win as a mid-major at an HBCU?

"We'll start our national search for his replacement immediately and I am confident we will be able to fill that position in short order"...Dr. Charles McClelland

Detroit Mercy/Detroit isn't a huge step up from TSU/Houston if any but congrats Coach Mike on a new opportunity and I thank you for your service.

And remember to drive slow in the snow!

Something ain’t right .... who would leave Houston to live in DETROIT ????

That dumb-ass bylaw signed off on by ten subzero I.Q. conference presidents factored in his decision. Davis was not happy about that tournament money not coming in, and with no clear sign that things are going to change there was little hope tournament money was/will be turned over to the participating conference team in the future.

3.9 Conference Revenues

Any conference member who participates in a national, regional, or sectional bowl game and/or a televised contest, or meet, whether during the regular, pre-season, or post season, will share its part of the television revenue with the conference office and other members of the Conference. The above policy includes cable television.

The participating conference institution will retain sixty percent (60%) of the gross and forward the balance of forty percent (40%) to the conference office for inclusion in the conference treasury.

All funds received by the Southwestern Athletic Conference become the property of the Conference and shall be administered in accordance with the SWAC Constitution and Bylaws or instructions from the Council of Presidents.

Before a distribution of revenues is made to the membership, the Conference office budget must be balanced for the year. After approving the budget, it is the charge of the Conference office to distribute equal shares to each institution with the men’s and women’s regular season winners, the men’s and women’s NCAA basketball tournament participants and the SWAC Football Champions receiving one extra share. The runner-up in the football championship game will receive an extra half share.

The Council of Presidents at each annual meeting will determine the amount to be distributed to the membership based upon criteria established by the Council of Presidents.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/swac/genrel/auto_pdf/bylaws.pdf

White school money is better period and what else could he have done at Tx Southern. Now it’s time for them to realize Haywood is a joke and they can maybe attract some good coaches.

Not as much fun as the early 90's under legendary coach Bob Moreland. We kicked but and took names. Would have beat Arkansas if the kid from Valley had not fallen on Kevin Grangers ankle. Speaking of Granger, i wonder if he will apply.

It's going to be tough replacing the success Mike Davis has built with the basketball program. I hope most of the players decide to stay. On the flip side with all this success TxSU has probably become the most attractive HBCU basketball job in the country. I'm sure our AD is going to a nice list of coaches interested in the job. Names to watch is the assistant coaches Keith LeGree, Michael Davis Jr, Donnie Marsh, and Shyrone Chatman.

Back