MCC Future??

JAGSC

Why if the city decides to tear down the historic Legion Stadium, will the MCC want to move to a newer but much smaller stadium in Birmingham (Protective Stadium- 47,100) or UA (101,821)OR AUBURN(87,451) or outside of ALABAMA?

My vote is school to school. Possibly open up the gym on each campus for overflow with access to concessions and charge lesser admissions. Even throw some of the cheerleaders in their to give them more of that "game" experience.

Do y'all think once the new stadium is up and running they will eventually tear down Legion.

I only brought up Bama and Auburn for stadium capacity purpose.

My attitude is that they will take the attendance cut and play at the new stadium and probably hike ticket prices

My vote is school to school. Possibly open up the gym on each campus for overflow with access to concessions and charge lesser admissions. Even throw some of the cheerleaders in their to give them more of that "game" experience.
This is a "Joke" right? ala Sunday church services.

Legion Field will definitely be scrapped at some point so most likely that new stadium they just built. Aint no way they'd ever have that game on a P5 campus nor would either school allow it.
I think as long as "The Old Gray Lady's" infrastructure is not an issue the Stadium will remain standing and the game and its associated festivities will remain there. The game and its weekend of activities and events brings in over 20 million dollars into the Birmingham city coffers and the city will do everything possible to continue that. Moving the game downtown to Protective Stadium and nearby "Entertainment District" just wouldn't generate that type of income for the city imho.

I think as long as "The Old Gray Lady's" infrastructure is not an issue the Stadium will remain standing and the game and its associated festivities will remain there. The game and its weekend of activities and events brings in over 20 million dollars into the Birmingham city coffers and the city will do everything possible to continue that. Moving the game downtown to Protective Stadium and nearby "Entertainment District" just wouldn't generate that type of income for the city imho.
man Legion Field is going to be torn down.... You think a city about to spend millions on a stadium for one game? The game will be at Protective.... Birmingham aint spending almost 200 million on one stadium to keep up a 100 year old stadium for one game.

man Legion Field is going to be torn down.... You think a city about to spend millions on a stadium for one game? The game will be at Protective.... Birmingham aint spending almost 200 million on one stadium to keep up a 100 year old stadium for one game.
Kool

Last edited:
I don't want the game to leave birmingham, the partnership the city has with the schools and the conference is a good one imo.

Do high schools still use Legion Field for football games? If the game is moved to the new stadium with a reduced capacity of 45k, or if the game is home and home, then the MCC will never be the same. I wish the game could be moved to the Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta, but that would never happen.

Do high schools still use Legion Field for football games? If the game is moved to the new stadium with a reduced capacity of 45k, or if the game is home and home, then the MCC will never be the same. I wish the game could be moved to the Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta, but that would never happen.

Some folks can't accept that Legion Field's days are about over.

So what happens to the MCC money in a home and home when one school (the home team) gets to collect the lions share of the money?

Back