Mason, Culberson and Bell please own up to your mistakes..

tiger85

This is the plain and simple truth. The JSU family, fans, and the football team has tons of inspiration. The JSU administration forced a coach on the JSU family that is not wanted. The coach has not proven to be the right person for the job. He probably is a good person. Based on the facts he has not done a good job coaching the team. We need an experienced proven coach, not someone doing on the job training. The same thing can be said about his inexperienced offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. This team returned at least 14 or more starters and a lot of lettermen from last year team. JSU had the #1 rank offense in the nation last year and a defense that had improved from 7th to third in conference under Greg Johnson. The coach changed the strategies on offense and defense. Everyone in the country knows that JSU problem for the past three years has been bad special teams play and turnovers. All this Coach had to do was to concentrate on our bad special special teams play and turnovers. By the way, JSU still have problems with special teams and turnovers. It make you wonder if this coaching staff did anything thing to make improvements. The team is currently ranked 101th in total offense and 115th in rushing offense. He said he wanted to focused on the running game more this year. By the way JSU led the conference in rushing last year - 167 yds per game compared to 80.7 yds avg this year. He could have phased his new offensive scheme throughout the season, but he decided to make wholesale changes all at once. I ask the Clarion Ledger Sports Staff, the JSU Athletic Administration, and President Mason to compare the current stats to the 2002 stats and tell me if team is better off with the current coaching staff. I think the current coaching staff has basically gotten a free ride on taking repsponsility for all of this. Players are constantly taking the blame for this mess, none of the coaches or the JSU athletics administration ever take blame for their part in this drama. JSU missed an great opportunity to hire a proven experienced coach that would had the support of the JSU fans,community, and the Alumni. All the JSU president and athletic administration has done is not consider the JSU serach committee choice and family input on this matter. All is not lost, the JSU administration can still correct their mistake by replacing the current coaching staff. They can reach out to the alumni and community with sincerity this time and value their input on the hiring of a new coaching staff. The big question is - will they do the right thing this time. I encourage all JSU fans to always support our school athletic programs regardless of the current coaching staff or current adminisrtation. We should always give our time and financial support to JSU.

JSU should have hired a head coach, but the salary cap was a problem. I didn't know it existed until the search was on. You cannot get an experience headcoach for JSU under $120.000. Most experience headcoaches are making atleast $90,000 to $125,000. Even the Black assistant coaches on PWC Staffs are making over $100,000.

Originally posted by MightyDog
JSU should have hired a head coach, but the salary cap was a problem. I didn't know it existed until the search was on. You cannot get an experience headcoach for JSU under $120.000. Most experience headcoaches are making atleast $90,000 to $125,000. Even the Black assistant coaches on PWC Staffs are making over $100,000.

Actually all of this boils down to a comment you made(and I can't believe i'm quoting you) on the smack board a while back. When the JSU posters(the vast majority of us) were touting all of what Bell did during the off season, you said a coach is measured by how he performs during the long season(something like that). And Bell hasn't performed well in that role. Now that doesn't mean he'll never be a good coach. But since this is his first year, he does have a learning curve. And that inexperience is hurting us right now. I do believe that the off field improvements, along with his own development as a coach will begin to pay-off at some point. But until then, he's gonna to catch hell.

Originally posted by JSU/99
Actually all of this boils down to a comment you made(and I can't believe i'm quoting you) on the smack board a while back. When the JSU posters(the vast majority of us) were touting all of what Bell did during the off season, you said a coach is measured by how he performs during the long season(something like that). And Bell hasn't performed well in that role. Now that doesn't mean he'll never be a good coach. But since this is his first year, he does have a learning curve. And that inexperience is hurting us right now. I do believe that the off field improvements, along with his own development as a coach will begin to pay-off at some point. But until then, he's gonna to catch hell.

We have being going through this the last ten years and hope we have found a match.

You are right about the salary MD. My uncle is an assistant coach (defensive) and he said taking the Head Coach job at a HBCU would be a pay cut.

Mighty Dog, we did not have any head coaches to choose from. If you recommend one to us, maybe we could see how things turn out the next time we are looking for a coach. And I don't know where you get your figures from but all figures I see say that we pay our HC's too much at HBCU's. Most HC's at PWC 1-AA schools make less than 85K.

Bell reminds me so much of Ron Cooper!

the only difference is Cooper never really came out and said he thought he was smarter than the fans who support his school!

Bell's arrogant attitude might just be his downfall at JSU!

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Mighty Dog, we did not have any head coaches to choose from. If you recommend one to us, maybe we could see how things turn out the next time we are looking for a coach. And I don't know where you get your figures from but all figures I see say that we pay our HC's too much at HBCU's. Most HC's at PWC 1-AA schools make less than 85K.

TP, unless things have changed for State Schools, a copy of the salaries should be in the University Library. There are so many PWC 1AA schools they don't have to pay big dollars. But we are talking about the best college programs in BCF. JSU is or was considered as among the elite HBCs. Do you agree or disagree?
Therefore SU, GSU, and SU must pay for the status they enjoy. As you know the Bama coaches were between 95,000 and 125,000 and it caused some major concerns for the former big three in the SWAC. If these coaches win, our schools will have to pay. If Pete is considered the best coach in the conference would you hire him?

So are you recommending that we try to get Pete from SU??:confused:

I am still waiting on a list of Head coaches that JSU should hire. I can't think of any...

If Pete is considered the best coach in the conference would you hire him?

MD, in a move like that, I would have to agree with you. Just like I said last year that if we wanted Comegy then we would have to play was he was asking but for us to hire someone's asst...90- 100K should be the max.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
So are you recommending that we try to get Pete from SU??:confused:

I am still waiting on a list of Head coaches that JSU should hire. I can't think of any...
A legitimate search would have to be done. I remember somebody referring to the Bell hire as a "lazy hire". If more genuine effort was put in to finding a good coach, maybe JSU would have found one.

Originally posted by A&T Brandmasta
A legitimate search would have to be done. I remember somebody referring to the Bell hire as a "lazy hire". If more genuine effort was put in to finding a good coach, maybe JSU would have found one.

I don't think Bell was a lazy hire. I think that Culberson took about an entire year to look for a replacement. A lot of people know that Bell knew that he would have the JSU job before the 2002 season started. You all put together a search and look at what you got. There are not many present and former good coaches out there at the 1AA and D2 level. That is why Culberson went the 1A assistant route and in all honesty, I think if he had to do it all over again, that is what he would do.

Originally posted by tiger85
This is the plain and simple truth. The JSU family, fans, and the football team has tons of inspiration. The JSU administration forced a coach on the JSU family that is not wanted. The coach has not proven to be the right person for the job. He probably is a good person. Based on the facts he has not done a good job coaching the team. We need an experienced proven coach, not someone doing on the job training. The same thing can be said about his inexperienced offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. This team returned at least 14 or more starters and a lot of lettermen from last year team. JSU had the #1 rank offense in the nation last year and a defense that had improved from 7th to third in conference under Greg Johnson. The coach changed the strategies on offense and defense. Everyone in the country knows that JSU problem for the past three years has been bad special teams play and turnovers. All this Coach had to do was to concentrate on our bad special special teams play and turnovers. By the way, JSU still have problems with special teams and turnovers. It make you wonder if this coaching staff did anything thing to make improvements. The team is currently ranked 101th in total offense and 115th in rushing offense. He said he wanted to focused on the running game more this year. By the way JSU led the conference in rushing last year - 167 yds per game compared to 80.7 yds avg this year. He could have phased his new offensive scheme throughout the season, but he decided to make wholesale changes all at once. I ask the Clarion Ledger Sports Staff, the JSU Athletic Administration, and President Mason to compare the current stats to the 2002 stats and tell me if team is better off with the current coaching staff. I think the current coaching staff has basically gotten a free ride on taking repsponsility for all of this. Players are constantly taking the blame for this mess, none of the coaches or the JSU athletics administration ever take blame for their part in this drama. JSU missed an great opportunity to hire a proven experienced coach that would had the support of the JSU fans,community, and the Alumni. All the JSU president and athletic administration has done is not consider the JSU serach committee choice and family input on this matter. All is not lost, the JSU administration can still correct their mistake by replacing the current coaching staff. They can reach out to the alumni and community with sincerity this time and value their input on the hiring of a new coaching staff. The big question is - will they do the right thing this time. I encourage all JSU fans to always support our school athletic programs regardless of the current coaching staff or current adminisrtation. We should always give our time and financial support to JSU.

This sounds so familar.

You all put together a search and look at what you got. There are not many present and former good coaches out there at the 1AA and D2 level. That is why Culberson went the 1A assistant route and in all honesty, I think if he had to do it all over again, that is what he would do.

You dumbazz, we got George Small who currently has us at 6-1 and in the hunt for the playoffs. He has already saved our program from the dismal state it was headed in after Hayes left. He returned the pride and intergrity that A&T football has been known for.

He is already the best coach in the history of our program.

Originally posted by bornthrilla

That's not saying much....and can he get you to the next level? Bell may not be able to get us to the next level but you should know that Small can't. Besides, you have already seen him win with other people's recruits. What will he do three years from now. He has already struggled with a 2-6 JSU team and got drug by Southern....but if beating NSU and Morgan makes you happy with what you have, then :rolleyes:

You dumbazz, we got George Small who currently has us at 6-1 and in the hunt for the playoffs. He has already saved our program from the dismal state it was headed in after Hayes left. He returned the pride and intergrity that A&T football has been known for.

Thrilla, to make a long story short....if we did a coaching search I would not want George Small to even be a finalist. You A&T people have such low standards that you would accept anything.

I am happy becaue our overall program is 100X stronger and we are now finding ways to win the gams we normally would have lost.

What, if anything, makes you feel happy about the Bell hire? You are not winning, your attendance is down (outside of the Southern game), your players are not getting better, and his whole presence on the sideline has created a public relations nightmare.

Right now Small is doing a much better job than Bell is.

You A&T people have such low standards that you would accept anything.

Dude, Bell was 1-9 at a high school last year and had no other college head coaching experience. He has been learning on the job for seven games and obviously he has proven to be a slow learner.

Before that, your last head coach was a career equipment manager.

And you want to talk to me about low standards?

Right now

Operative word.

Also, your program was in better shape than ours when Small took it over. Having an equipment manager as a HC had to have an effect on the JSU greatness. Talk to me in three years. I still don't see you refuting that Small can't take A&T to the next level. From all accounts of the game in Jackson, Kent (ints) and Manning (supposedly got ran down) caused A&T to beat JSU....not Bell.

I watched the FAMU game last night and it is obvious that Kent has never been taught how to carry a ball before Bell got there. Bell works on it all the time but bad habits are hard to break. Even though Hayes was an imbecile, he was still a better coach than Hughes. Your program was only neglected for one year. BTW, I use the word program lightly in the case of AT&T.

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
You are right about the salary MD. My uncle is an assistant coach (defensive) and he said taking the Head Coach job at a HBCU would be a pay cut.

Dayum, that sez alot. Is your uncle Walter Young's father?

Also, your program was in better shape than ours when Small took it over

Dude we were 4-8 last year. You were 7-4. We lost our top three running backs and top two quarterbacks from last season, as well as several top linemen. You returned most of your offensive starters from a unit that was rated #1 in 1-AA football.

Please stop lying, you moron.

Dude we were 4-8 last year. You were 7-4. We lost our top three running backs and top two quarterbacks from last season, as well as several top linemen. You returned most of your offensive starters from a unit that was rated #1 in 1-AA football.

Please stop lying, you moron.

Did we beat your 4-8 team?? We drug you up and down the field like a ragdoll but lack of discipline and technique gave you losers the game. Your team was a lot more fundamentally sound than ours. That is my point you stupid moron. What is the use in being #1 if you still don't beat a decent team....running up yards against sorry A&T, 1-5 SU, PV, Pine Bluff, Valley, and Alcorn is all we did. But you folks don't seem to realize that. If AAMU had a clue on offense last year, if they could have just crossed the 50 more than once and got in field goal range, we would have lost to them too. Our program was falling fast. We had no foundation....your sorry athletes were always better coached except for the 2002 season. I still can't see how your 2001 team was running through the MEAC....no offense....no defense....

Back