Let's Talk That "Tithes" Envelope

The Founder

How many of you pay tithes. I do. I honestly don't keep up with it.

So I was in one of the church trustee board meetings and one of the board members mentioned that they would like to see how much people are paying in church to determine how good of a member they are. I immediately told them that the amount they pay is between them and God. I then informed them that they would see zero from me because I don't write checks or place money in envelopes because I have no need to right them off on my taxes or for that matter be notified of how much I gave.

What are opinions on that?

So I was in one of the church trustee board meetings and one of the board members mentioned that they would like to see how much people are paying in church to determine how good of a member they are. I immediately told them that the amount they pay is between them and God. I then informed them that they would see zero from me because I don't write checks or place money in envelopes because I have no need to right them off on my taxes or for that matter be notified of how much I gave.

@The Founder ... I too, tithe; probably not as regularly as most; but I am striving to do better. I think you were right in stating that what folks do is between them and God. That board member should also be reminded that tithing comes in forms other than money....keep up the great work sir!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

It's been a minute since I was in seminary but I once did a paper on giving. Got an A-. In a nutshell, I examined every scripture I found relevant on giving in both the OT & NT. I concluded that tithing as a principal (not a law) works. It works because we give simply to be a blessing to others and when we do so, that energy to what we give with comes back to us in many forms and many ways (health, opportunity, gifted children, etc).

So to answer your question, I give what I can at will. Sometimes it is more than a tenth of my income, sometimes it is less. Though I have my own personal challenges, I do feel like overall I am blessed beyond measure and I don't lack for nothing material wise.

<--this is one man's interpretation

I concluded that tithing as a principal (not a law) works. It works because we give simply to be a blessing to others and when we do so, that energy to what we give with comes back to us in many forms and many ways (health, opportunity, gifted children, etc).

With your conclusion, does this only apply to giving to a church? Or can you be a blessing to others directly and recieve that same energy ?

@The Founder ... I too, tithe; probably not as regularly as most; but I am striving to do better. I think you were right in stating that what folks do is between them and God. That board member should also be reminded that tithing comes in forms other than money....keep up the great work sir!

Thanks....I will say this is one of the challenging positions I have had EVER!

With your conclusion, does this only apply to giving to a church? Or can you be a blessing to others directly and recieve that same energy ?

My wife and I had this discussion last night. We both agreed that it is encompasses everything you do. Yet, we both agreed that we still give 10% from each other and sponsor items for the church as a married couple.

My wife and I had this discussion last night. We both agreed that it is encompasses everything you do. Yet, we both agreed that we still give 10% from each other and sponsor items for the church as a married couple.
We primarily give to the church because of the many programs our church sponsors in the community but I do agree it could include what you do outside of giving directly to the church.

Again this is just my own understanding but I do believe being a blessing to others directly will allow you to receive that same energy whether in church or out of church.

Last edited:

What are opinions on

It’s almost 3 years later. Do you still not tithe?

Those of us who are Bible scholars and love God's truth and not church goers stuck in empty and old tradition know that tithing is part of the old covenant so no I don't tithe. I used to tithe when I was ignorant and didn't care about God's truth. But as you know better you do better. Also when people tithed under the old covenant it was never with money, they tithe with the fruits and harvest of the land.

The people I know who faithful tithers have the most serious financial issues and debt. Hosea 4:6 say we perish for a lack of knowledge. I mean I grew up in a family that tithe so I know first hand how tithing can you set you back ESPECIALLY if you not wealthy. And no where did Jesus said you must tithe to enter the Kingdom. Not to mention Jesus had a REAL JOB just like these so called pastors and ministers etc need to get. If I give in charity, I give directly to the people that I KNOW KNOW need it ... not to a church or pastor who can lie and do whatever they want with the money without me knowing. The love of money is the root of all evil so you should always be weary of churches and pastors that are very fixated on money and prosperity and living the "good life".

God wants our light to shine bright and our praise and worship. Not our money b/c just a reminder He created everything.

Last edited:
Im not giving no church 10% of my income I dont give a damn. Especially considering I know exactly the fact that we wouldn't even be practicing this shit if it weren't for white folks. Black people confuse me... how do yall denounce everything that white folks have forced on us EXCEPT Jesus? It doesn't make any sense. I grew up in the whole Pentecostal, put holy oil on em and get people in the church to act like they caught the "holy ghost" era so the folks in the congregation would go along with it. Watched all those same "pastors" do whatever the hell they wanted and watched these churches collect money tax free all while they were just as foul as the average "sinner." We called others cults while we were doing shit like imitating drinking this dude's blood and eating his flesh via wine and crackers.

Ride through any hood on the west side in ATL and you will see black folks that can barely pay their rent but are going to make SURE they give the church their cut. Meanwhile, the churches are the nicest buildings on the block while folks living in shacks. I am glad as hell I woke up to the tomfoolery.... but religion just goes to show how easy it is to manipulate the hell out of people that have no interest in thinking for themselves. And the fucked up part is, most of us grew up in the south where these folks would go to church with their family and then go watch a lynching afterwards. Pro black when it comes to everything EXCEPT the nonsense that is Christianity. And there's always that one, "well Jesus was black..."... bruh... Creflo Dollar right here in the A with private jets while his congregation trying to figure out what they gonna eat Monday. New Birth, first it was Eddie Long messing with lil boys now it's Jamal Bryant suggesting that the property around the church could be used to grow weed.

And these mofos collecting all this money TAX FREE. Ain't no way in hell (another fictional place created to scared folks into doing whatever they want.) Wake up people. You paying for a salvation that you don't even know you get until after you die. One of the greatest finesse moves of all t ime. Can we talk about the edited "slave" versions of the "bible" that they cut out revolting and just being subservient during slavery? Or the fact that the "King James" version of the bible that most black churches use, was edited as shit by the King to only put out the parts that he wanted to? Why yall be so scared to ask questions when it's an obvious finesse? I mean if I came around the corner and told, aye, I just saw this dude die last week and wake up and ascend into the sky after he walked on water... you'd call me a damn fool. Or better yet, if I told you some dude was able to put 2 of every single animal on earth on a boat while everyone else drowned and died...or I just saw this dude separate the Red Sea, a body of water 350 kilometers wide and 500 meters deep with his staff and folks just walked across it. C'mon folk lol.

Last edited:
lol forum rules... that's what we doing with some of the stuff yall say on these forums? I guess when it's Jesus stick to the rules.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Im not giving no church 10% of my income I dont give a damn. Especially considering I know exactly the fact that we wouldn't even be practicing this shit if it weren't for white folks. Black people confuse me... how do yall denounce everything that white folks have forced on us EXCEPT Jesus? It doesn't make any sense. I grew up in the whole Pentecostal, put holy oil on em and get people in the church to act like they caught the "holy ghost" era so the folks in the congregation would go along with it. Watched all those same "pastors" do whatever the hell they wanted and watched these churches collect money tax free all while they were just as foul as the average "sinner." We called others cults while we were doing shit like imitating drinking this dude's blood and eating his flesh via wine and crackers.

Ride through any hood on the west side in ATL and you will see black folks that can barely pay their rent but are going to make SURE they give the church their cut. Meanwhile, the churches are the nicest buildings on the block while folks living in shacks. I am glad as hell I woke up to the tomfoolery.... but religion just goes to show how easy it is to manipulate the hell out of people that have no interest in thinking for themselves. And the fucked up part is, most of us grew up in the south where these folks would go to church with their family and then go watch a lynching afterwards. Pro black when it comes to everything EXCEPT the nonsense that is Christianity. And there's always that one, "well Jesus was black..."... bruh... Creflo Dollar right here in the A with private jets while his congregation trying to figure out what they gonna eat Monday. New Birth, first it was Eddie Long messing with lil boys now it's Jamal Bryant suggesting that the property around the church could be used to grow weed.

And these mofos collecting all this money TAX FREE. Ain't no way in hell (another fictional place created to scared folks into doing whatever they want.) Wake up people. You paying for a salvation that you don't even know you get until after you die. One of the greatest finesse moves of all t ime. Can we talk about the edited "slave" versions of the "bible" that they cut out revolting and just being subservient during slavery? Or the fact that the "King James" version of the bible that most black churches use, was edited as shit by the King to only put out the parts that he wanted to? Why yall be so scared to ask questions when it's an obvious finesse? I mean if I came around the corner and told, aye, I just saw this dude die last week and wake up and ascend into the sky after he walked on water... you'd call me a damn fool. Or better yet, if I told you some dude was able to put 2 of every single animal on earth on a boat while everyone else drowned and died...or I just saw this dude separate the Red Sea, a body of water 350 kilometers wide and 500 meters deep with his staff and folks just walked across it. C'mon folk lol.
I really really really understand your pain. I am willing to admit that I myself have at many times to an extent have gotten caught up with religion and the hypocritical things and actions that you speak. As I've gotten older, I've challenged my beliefs, my actions in service, and I've asked the same questions, revaluated many things out of frustration over and over.

I have no definite answers or response to those that feel the way you do. I think it is perfectly normal to have sincere questions and/or for one to feel such a way, especially with regards to the culture and all of those negative experiences that came about due to colonization, slavery, white supremacy and so on.

I can say this for myself, in spite of all that we see that is not right in anything, including the Bible, I believe that there is still good in it and as I've continued to live by Biblical principles alone, I continue to find myself being blessed as I live my life according to those principles.

So, in the words and suggestions of my favorite historian, John Henrik Clarke I haven't thrown my Bible away nor have I stopped fellowshipping. I've remained where I'm at. I just look at it differently from the way it was taught. I pull what has made sense. I focus on the literal meanings, context, and lessons to be learned. Thus, I have kept my on peace. I continue to evolve as I keep studying, meditating, and learn more from others as well.

I think we've touched on this before in another thread. I hope what I shared makes sense to you or anyone else. No arguments or debates from me, just sharing my own insights and how I've continued to find peace within about the topic and other Biblical things.

Last edited:
I really really really understand your pain. I am willing to admit that I myself have at many times to an extent have gotten caught up with religion and the hypocritical things and actions that you speak. As I've gotten older, I've challenged my beliefs, my actions in service, and I've asked the same questions, revaluated many things out of frustration over and over.

I have no definite answers or response to those that feel the way you do. I think it is perfectly normal to have sincere questions and/or for one to feel such a way, especially with regards to the culture and all of those negative experiences that came about due to colonization, slavery, white supremacy and so on.

I can say this for myself, in spite of all that we see that is not right in anything, including the Bible, I believe that there is still good in it and as I've continued to live by Biblical principles alone, I continue to find myself being blessed as I live my life according to those principles.

So, in the words and suggestions of my favorite historian, John Henrik Clarke I haven't thrown my Bible away nor have I stopped fellowshipping. I've remained where I'm at. I just look at it differently from the way it was taught. I pull what has made sense. I focus on the literal meanings, context, and lessons to be learned. Thus, I have kept my on peace. I continue to evolve as I keep studying, meditating, and learn more from others as well.

I think we've touched on this before in another thread. I hope what I shared makes sense to you or anyone else. No arguments or debates from me, just sharing my own insights and how I've continued to find peace within about the topic and other Biblical things.

BulldogM.Ed.23 said, " Thus, I have kept my on peace. I continue to evolve as I keep studying, meditating, and learn more from others as well."

This speaks to the most critical issue I have with the present day church, some individual believers are evolving but not the majority of churches. I continue my journey because I am still evolving, and I'm committed to helping and teaching others be blessed by seeing the light as I have.

My wife and I Tithe. We give to the Potters house and the church that we go to in Maryland. We use givelyfy. I believe in God. No further discussion needed from me on this topic.

Last edited:
lol forum rules... that's what we doing with some of the stuff yall say on these forums? I guess when it's Jesus stick to the rules.

Yes, Forum rules.

You’ve been on this platform long enough to know that Kenn has rules for his ALL of the Forums. The Prayer Board Forum rules had to be reinforced AGAIN back in 2016 because folks couldn’t post intelligently or intellectually, and without resorting to rudeness, without respect & regard to the Christian faith and the Lord we serve & believe.
Kenn has stated what the Prayer Board is for; all who post in this forum, along with the others, will “STICK TO THE RULES”.

God wants us all to have common sense, and he wants us to reason from common sense. Don't let the church rob you.
God wants us to also use that same common sense and remember Who He is and who we are.
God owns EVERYTHING, we own nothing, not even our lives because they could be taken at any moment. Everything belongs to the Lord; what is in our possession is for us to MANAGE on His behalf.

Tithing is about recognizing the Lord as Creator who has and still claims COMPLETE ownership over ALL of His creation! Tithing is about recognizing His ownership and generosity with His blessings and BEHAVING in a way reflective of that. The problem I see in some of these posts is that folks are acting like owners and are forgetting they are managers (stewards) of what belongs to the Lord.
Tithing is about remembering that it is the Lord who gives us the power to make wealth. Tithing is about remembering that without the Lord, we can do nothing! HE is our source because HE, and He alone owns everything!
Tithing is about having the COMMON SENSE to THANK THE LORD for His generosity and giving Him the best AND FIRST of what He has entrusted to us. Tithing is an act of sincere gratitude!

Don’t let pride and greed and non-understanding of Scripture and disobedience rob you of your blessings from the Lord.

Back