Let's Talk That "Tithes" Envelope

The Founder

How many of you pay tithes. I do. I honestly don't keep up with it.

So I was in one of the church trustee board meetings and one of the board members mentioned that they would like to see how much people are paying in church to determine how good of a member they are. I immediately told them that the amount they pay is between them and God. I then informed them that they would see zero from me because I don't write checks or place money in envelopes because I have no need to right them off on my taxes or for that matter be notified of how much I gave.

What are opinions on that?

Big Thunder

So I was in one of the church trustee board meetings and one of the board members mentioned that they would like to see how much people are paying in church to determine how good of a member they are. I immediately told them that the amount they pay is between them and God. I then informed them that they would see zero from me because I don't write checks or place money in envelopes because I have no need to right them off on my taxes or for that matter be notified of how much I gave.

@The Founder ... I too, tithe; probably not as regularly as most; but I am striving to do better. I think you were right in stating that what folks do is between them and God. That board member should also be reminded that tithing comes in forms other than money....keep up the great work sir!

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter

It's been a minute since I was in seminary but I once did a paper on giving. Got an A-. In a nutshell, I examined every scripture I found relevant on giving in both the OT & NT. I concluded that tithing as a principal (not a law) works. It works because we give simply to be a blessing to others and when we do so, that energy to what we give with comes back to us in many forms and many ways (health, opportunity, gifted children, etc).

So to answer your question, I give what I can at will. Sometimes it is more than a tenth of my income, sometimes it is less. Though I have my own personal challenges, I do feel like overall I am blessed beyond measure and I don't lack for nothing material wise.

<--this is one man's interpretation

Storm96

I concluded that tithing as a principal (not a law) works. It works because we give simply to be a blessing to others and when we do so, that energy to what we give with comes back to us in many forms and many ways (health, opportunity, gifted children, etc).
With your conclusion, does this only apply to giving to a church? Or can you be a blessing to others directly and recieve that same energy ?

The Founder

@The Founder ... I too, tithe; probably not as regularly as most; but I am striving to do better. I think you were right in stating that what folks do is between them and God. That board member should also be reminded that tithing comes in forms other than money....keep up the great work sir!
Thanks....I will say this is one of the challenging positions I have had EVER!

With your conclusion, does this only apply to giving to a church? Or can you be a blessing to others directly and recieve that same energy ?
My wife and I had this discussion last night. We both agreed that it is encompasses everything you do. Yet, we both agreed that we still give 10% from each other and sponsor items for the church as a married couple.

jag4life

My wife and I had this discussion last night. We both agreed that it is encompasses everything you do. Yet, we both agreed that we still give 10% from each other and sponsor items for the church as a married couple.
We primarily give to the church because of the many programs our church sponsors in the community but I do agree it could include what you do outside of giving directly to the church.

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
Again this is just my own understanding but I do believe being a blessing to others directly will allow you to receive that same energy whether in church or out of church.

Last edited:

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
New International Version
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Luke 6:38)

That reminds me, I'm way behind in donating to hbcusports.com @Kenn Rashad My apologies. I got you when I get paid again!