K-Ci tells his version of Life With Mary J Blige

MACKG

a.k.a. NASTYNUPE
*I haven't found the source of this story yet*

Vibe: Good to see you K-ci. Good to finally sit down and talk to you after so many years. What's new?

K-Ci- I'm good. I'm blessed. I'm happy at this point in my life. My family is doing good, I'm doing good, real good.

Vibe: The fans are waiting for another Jodeci album. Is that going to happen soon?

K-Ci: We have been in the studio recording. We are not rushing, although our fans are waiting to hear from us. I want them to be patient. Jodeci is not over. It's not a wrap just yet.

Vibe: What about a solo project for you?

K-Ci: I've gotten a lot of offers from different labels. So stay tuned. *laughs* People think that we have retired. But I'm still writing and working with other artists. I've been behind the scenes here and there making things happen. I'm actually enjoying being in the background and out of the limelight.

Vibe: What is your response to the new video that Mary is doing with 50 cent?

K-Ci: That's crazy. After all this time she's making a video about me
and her? I haven't seen the video. But I've heard about it. It's supposed to be about a time in our life when we were supposed to get married. I never said I was going to marry her.

Vibe: So you two were never engaged to jump the broom? Did you ever give her a ring?

K-Ci: Yes I gave her a ring, not because I wanted to marry her. I gave her a ring after she came off tour and she kept hinting around that she wanted a ring. I never agreed to marry Mary J. We never talked about starting a family or anything like that. We were not as serious as people thought.

Vibe: So, she thought that the two of you were getting married?

K-Ci: Right. That was all in her head. I was young and living my life. I didn't want to be anybody's husband. I was young and living wild. I was celebrating everyday and partying and hooking up with different women. I wasn't ready to settle down with anybody. Mary knew that. She knew I cared about her but she also knew that I wasn't going to be tied down to her. She accepted that and continued to call me and come around me even at times I didn't want her around me. I would tell Mary over and over to go and find a man that is ready to settle down and play hubby.

Vibe: You had to have loved her at one point or another. You guys sang together, did shows together. There had to be something.

K-Ci: There was something. It wasn't what Mary wanted everybody to think. She wanted the world to think that we were living a fairytale and all of a sudden I ended it. We cared about each other, but I wasn't in love with here. The feelings were never mutual. We would do shows together and afterwards I wanted to hang out with the guys and party and talk to fans. Mary would go crazy. She would come up to my hotel and bang on the door, screaming and hollering at the top of her lungs until I came out. She would come up to me at parties and disrespect my company. I had to be careful because if she saw me with a woman she would try to start fights and put on a big show. It was crazy.

Vibe: Why do you think she was acting like this? There had to be reason. Do you think she was mislead to believe that you wanted to be with her?

K-Ci: I don't understand how, because I told her all the time that I didn't want to be in a relationship with her. That still didn't stop her from calling and paging me and showing up at the studio drunk. There were so many episodes. She was constantly embarrassing herself.

Vibe: Do you think the sex made her fall in love.

K-Ci: *laughs* I thinks so, but no woman should let sex control them and make them feel things for someone. If the feelings are not there, you have to let go and move on and work on building yourself. You can't let good sex control your mind and control your emotions. A lot of men would have loved to be with her, but she was into me instead of being into Mary J. Blige. She turned down a lot of guys because she thought they only wanted her for her money and fame. She would cry about this all the time.

Vibe: Were you ever attracted to her. She is a beautiful women. Very stunning.

K-Ci: I was attracted to her because she had so much ambition. She would be in the studio for 12 hours a day. She was determined to live her dream. That's what I was attracted to. Her determination and her drive is what motivated me.

Vibe: What about the physical? When you first saw Mary, what was your first thought?

K-Ci: She seemed very nice. Very down to earth. I wasn't attracted to her the first time we met.

Vibe: How did the two of you start dating? There had to be some kind of attraction between you and Mary. What was It? How did the two of you make a match?

K-Ci: We saw each other at Uptown records several times before we exchanged numbers. I wasn't trying to get involved at the time. When we recorded a song for her debut album What's the 411, we had a lot of chemistry. We slept together. She enjoyed it. We began hanging out at the studio. We became friends. We would talk a lot. She was very opened about everything. I respected her for that. She was honest. She would tell me the truth about myself. That's what made me want to embrace her as a friend.

Vibe: She was a good friend, so how did everything fall downhill?

K-Ci: Mary had a lot of problems. She came from Yonkers New York. She was from a broken family and she still had to carry those issues on her back. She had low self-esteem. She was very insecure. That's the part of Mary I didn't like. She was a determined woman and she was serious about her career, but she had no self love. She would always say how much she hated her big feet. She would complain about the scares on her face she got from fighting girls around her neighborhood in Yonkers. She wanted me to make her feel pretty. I couldn't. She was just a woman to me. I didn't see her the way people look at Halle Berry, Robin Givens or Vanessa Williams. She was just a regular woman. That was fine with me, but it wasn't fine with Mary. She didn't feel good about herself. Even with the clothes, the hairstyles and the jewelry, she didn't feel worthy.

Vibe: If you could go back and change things, do you think you would have married Mary J. Blige. Now that you are older, do you have a change of heart? What are your feeling towards Mary. Do you have any love for her as a friend.

K-Ci: I don't have any bitter feelings for her. I just hope she can somehow get over our affair and move on with her life. I have not made any songs about her. She has made albums about me. She has made people think I'm the bad guy when it was her that didn't know how to let go and move on. Her peeps would call me and tell me to stop abusing Mary, stop playing with her head, but she didn't tell them what she was doing. She didn't want anybody to know that she was getting high and drunk and calling me and showing up at the studio ready to fight me. Everybody thought I was controlling her and giving her false promises. I kept telling her to go on with her life and her career. She would tell me NO! I love you K-Ci. I can't live without you, I wanna be happy with you. I just wanna be your wife and make you happy. All that stuff she was singing about. I'll do whatever it takes to make this work. I would shut down because she had the whole world singing along to her sad lullaby. And I was considered the abusive bad guy. That made me upset back then, but know I'm happy for her and I'm glad she is married. I wish she would gave married someone back then. She was driving me up the wall.

Vibe: The two of you recorded together after the affair was over. You did some vocals on the My Life album and also on the Mary album. What was it like working with her after all of those episodes?

K-Ci: It was an experience. I did some vocals on the My Life album, because P Diddy was still producing her music and he asked me to be a part of the project. I didn't want to do it, but P-Diddy told me to go in and keep a business mind. So I did. Mary tried to stay in contact with me after that. I couldn't do it. She was heavy into drugs and alcohol. She was losing weight and her hair was looking messy every time she was not performing. She kept shades on to hide bags under her eyes. People were thinking that I gave her black eyes, but I wasn't around her at that time. The drugs were tearing her apart. I wanted to reach out to her, but I didn't want to start another relationship. I prayed for her everyday.

Vibe: What was the relationship like when you recorded with Mary J on the Mary album? That seemed like the turning point for Mary. We saw her grow from a girl into a woman. She was becoming an icon.

K-Ci: We recorded for a few days and that was it.

Vibe: Did any old feelings come up?

K-Ci: No, none at all, because she had already proved that we could never get back together. I was there to record and support her as an artist. Everybody thought we were together. But that was all false. The year before, Mary showed up at a big party in Atlanta that was for TLC. We were all hanging out and I was with a my date *a model from a video shoot* Mary was in Atlanta at the time doing a show and she popped up at the party drunk. She was a mess. Her hair was everywhere, she was dirty and she didn't have shoes on. P Diddy was there and he grabbed her and took her into a room and had a talk with her. She came out cussing everybody out. She tried to hit my date with a cane she picked up from a table. Everybody was laughing, but they didn't know how serious this was. She was letting drugs ruin her life. She couldn't stand up straight and she had powder residue on her nose when she came out of the bathroom. I went to my limo and prayed and cried for her. I felt terrible. I didn't understand why she was letting herself go. Her bodyguards couldn't control her. She was hoarse from screaming and everybody thought it was a joke. Some of the party goers didn't believe it was Mary. It was her. Yes it was.

Vibe: Why did you cry for her? Did you feel guilty. Did you feel as if you could have helped her in some kind of way.

K-Ci: I didn't feel guilty. I cried because she was far gone. She was addicted to drugs and the drugs were ruining her life. She had everything. She was away from the projects in Yonkers. She had a string of hits. She had just purchased a home in New Jersey, but she was still that same girl that with no self love. I wanted to call her and talk to her, but I wanted Mary to find her own way. I couldn't give her any solutions. I could lie and tell her everything was ok. I could lie and tell her she was beautiful. She had to feel secure within herself before anybody could convince her.

Vibe: Do you think Mary has moved on completely? Do you think she is content and sane now that she is married and back with a new album.

K-Ci: I hope she is happy. I hope so. I hope she can put closure on us and live for Mary and nobody else. If you listen to her music, she is crying out for help. Now she has this video about our engagement that never existed. I hope she is moving on. God I hope this is it.

He sounds like a sick dog...lol....actually he sounds like a dude that used a fugg a babe when the babe was not that fine..now that the babe is fine and cats trying to hit...he's mad cause she won't give him any...so he'd rather hate.

My summary: Cat ARSE negro.

I feel the exact opposite of you DSN. If you listen to all of Mary's music and listen to her tell about her never ending quest to find true happiness and staying sober, it all makes perfect sense.

NASTYNUPE said:
I feel the exact opposite of you DSN. If you listen to all of Mary's music and listen to her tell about her never ending quest to find true happiness and staying sober, it all makes perfect sense.

I don't know bruh he sounds desparate.

How long has it been since K-Ci and Mary broke up? Mary is the one still talking about him. She's the one still doing videos depicting their relationship. I haven't heard one song K-Ci has written about Mary. Mary has done albums about that relationship. I love Mary to death...but who really sounds desparate. Poor Kendu...I think that marriage is a sham and Mary would take K-Ci back in a minute if he wanted to.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
I don't know bruh he sounds desparate.

Interesting interview and I believe Mary has not gotten over K-Ci...especially, since she's making videos about the brother, years later. :smh:

Isn't she married now? Also how many break ups are actually different...not taking up for Mary but damn...lol...K-Ci doing for that new album. But it's all good we all need ratings...but I feel where you're coming PHI.

This sounds kinda factual. I mean K-Ci and Jo Jo don't need no help selling records. This all adds up. Just listen to Mary's music. He's reinforcing everything she sings about. She talks about getting her heart broke, self esteem issues, and drugs and alcohol. Now, I think she got sprung off the dyck and wanted it to be more than what it was. And I think she kept nagging K-Ci and he just got tired of telling her no and started to lead her on. But like he said he was young and didnt want to be tied down. She wanted to be loved. The case of a fatal attraction. BUT, he never said anything about hitting her. I heard some rumors about him hittin her. Who knows?

I believe K-Ci.

To be honest, I think this is the first time "we" ever bothered to even hear HIS version of the drama.

Question:

Which song is this video for?
I haven't seen it.

DSN, you know full well, just because someone is married, doesn't mean they married for the right reasons. I believe KCi, after all he has nothing to lie about, why would he? America loves a bad boy.

Being in that same situation, I can certainly relate to him. I've dated several women, and we were in 2 differenct chapters of the book of love, and no matter how many times I told them that I didn't want that type of realationship, they refused to go away, or even listened to the words I was saying, and looked at the actions I displayed.

To a large degree she still hasn't gotten over KCi, and honestly he will always have a part of her heart, but to think dude is desparate. Nowhere in that article did he seem desparate to me, just somebody that got tired of one side of their story being told, and him being painted in a negative light.

NICE

For the most part, it sounds like it could be true. BUT it also sounds like he's doing some exaggarating himself... especially the part I pulled out below. He left a party, went to the limo, prayed and cried about a woman he clearly wasn't in love with and only saw as an "average woman"? I'm sorry, I just don't believe that part. Even Vibe had to question him on that! :lol:

NASTYNUPE said:
I went to my limo and prayed and cried for her. I felt terrible. I didn't understand why she was letting herself go.

Vibe: Why did you cry for her? Did you feel guilty. Did you feel as if you could have helped her in some kind of way.

CriTAUcal said:
For the most part, it sounds like it could be true. BUT it also sounds like he's doing some exaggarating himself... especially the part I pulled out below. He left a party, went to the limo, prayed and cried about a woman he clearly wasn't in love with and only saw as an "average woman"? I'm sorry, I just don't believe that part. Even Vibe had to question him on that! :lol:

Come on now Crit, you know every good story has to have a little embellishment.:nod: :lol:

NICE

D-NICE said:
Come on now Crit, you know every good story has to have a little embellishment.:nod: :lol:

NICE

I know! K-Ci is making himself out to be a saint, and I ain't totally buying his story. I do believe there are some truths to what he's saying, because Mary has even admitted to a lot of that stuff (the drug/alcohol addiction/not having self-love, etc.) But he just making himself seem like he did no wrong, because he was supposedly honest about it all from the jump and that his sex was just the lick! Riiiiiiiiiiiiight! :rolleyes:

K-Ci is mad that Mary is doing well. I think what happend was that each time Mary was doing bad, K-Ci was there, he helped her rebuild her life, etc... Well now that she's clean and happily married, K-Ci has no place in her life and he's trying to bring up drama.

Sound like the negro is a little cootchie whipped to me.

I dont know what to say about this interview. I dont see its purpose. As an entertainer he should know what sells and what doesnt. And her making a video doesnt mean she hasnt move on. People wanna know isht so if Mary wanna tell her life story and make money off of it, why does it have to mean she hasnt moved on?

As an entertainer he could have flipped that isht and create a feud just like these wack arse rappers....and there you go money made. Fans would each that isht up. It woulda been the next Trapped in the closet part 22-30:lol:. And both they arses could be in Jamaica double dating laughing about the isht.

da_caramel_diva said:
And her making a video doesnt mean she hasnt move on. People wanna know isht so if Mary wanna tell her life story and make money off of it, why does it have to mean she hasnt moved on?

Right! If Usher can tell his Confessions, why not Mary?

I think its the fact that her life story seems to revolve around K-Ci. Like he said she's made pretty much a whole album or 2 about him. How many songs do we hear about her husband? I'm glad that Mary has gotten married and is doing well but I doubt they would've been interviewing him about her if she hadn't brought it up yet again with a new video. Of course everyone is going to want to be painted in the best light ( i don't think he was crying over her in a limo). If she had really moved on I think she would be done with talking about it. We have heard about it for almost a decade...why bring it up again?

Shamocha said:
I think its the fact that her life story seems to revolve around K-Ci. Like he said she's made pretty much a whole album or 2 about him. How many songs do we hear about her husband? I'm glad that Mary has gotten married and is doing well but I doubt they would've been interviewing him about her if she hadn't brought it up yet again with a new video. Of course everyone is going to want to be painted in the best light ( i don't think he was crying over her in a limo). If she had really moved on I think she would be done with talking about it. We have heard about it for almost a decade...why bring it up again?

Because for a decade we still buy it. Consumers stop buying it she will stop selling it. Hell I dont think I listen to that no mo drama CD twice. but that 411, My Life and Mary gets bumped :headphone

CriTAUcal said:
But he just making himself seem like he did no wrong, because he was supposedly honest about it all from the jump and that his sex was just the lick! Riiiiiiiiiiiiight! :rolleyes:

The only thing I would say KCi was guilty of, was still sticking her, when he knew her feelings were stronger than his, and he didn't want to be in the relationship.

As a young man that went through that, sometimes it's hard to let go of some good trim, and desert, even though you know it's bad for your health. I understand his story, because I've been involved with chics that I wasn't interested in like that, but I cared about them enough to want to see them do good. They were good people, but I wasn't ready for what they wanted, and foolishly I didn't leave them alone, but I kept sticking em, making the situation even worse. I

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
K-Ci is mad that Mary is doing well. I think what happend was that each time Mary was doing bad, K-Ci was there, he helped her rebuild her life, etc... Well now that she's clean and happily married, K-Ci has no place in her life and he's trying to bring up drama.

Sound like the negro is a little cootchie whipped to me.

Happily married, when she's still talking about their bad relationship to anybody that wants to hear it? It's to the point now, that she doesn't have to say his name anymore, because everybody knows who she's talking about.

If you've moved on, then let that sleeping dog lie? Why keep rehashing the same ol schit, every interview, every concert, and seemingly every CD?

I would say KCi is cootchie whipped, or mad, if every CD he put out, and everytime a camera was in his face, or a writer had a recorder in his face, he was talking about his relationship with Mary, but that hasn't been the case. Actually this is the first time that he's really said anything public about her.

Cootchie whipped, and mad, is what that Corey kid from American Idol did last year, with his song, and cd about Paula Abdul.

NICE

da_caramel_diva said:
Because for a decade we still buy it. Consumers stop buying it she will stop selling it. Hell I dont think I listen to that no mo drama CD twice. but that 411, My Life and Mary gets bumped :headphone

So we would rather listen to the negative rather than the positive? I didn't buy No More Drama but I Mary and Share My World still listen to on the regular. I would rather hear someone singing about how they found love than hear them whining about 1 dude for 10 yrs. You know if it was one of your girls you would tell her to get over it. If she wants to talk about getting hurt I'm sure there is more than 1 man in her life that hurt her. How many more ways can she say the same thing? She's looking good, found love, overcame all those past obstacles...maybe its just me that would like to hear more about that rather than k-ci.

da_caramel_diva said:
Hell I dont think I listen to that no mo drama CD twice. but that 411, My Life and Mary gets bumped :headphone

You ain't lying!!! I still listen to My Life/Share My World CD.

Shamocha said:

Cosign! :tup:

NICE speaks the truth as well! :nod:

I don't believe K-Ci was a saint, by no means, at all...but I do believe Mary has not gotten completely over him. Let's face it, sometimes it's hard to get certain folks completely out of your system...even if they weren't good for you. She needs to stop writing all those songs about his ass, though and start writing more songs about her CURRENT life. I'm about sick of K-Ci and Mary.

Shamocha said:
How many songs do we hear about her husband?

I think there is at least one song about her husband on the new album. And I think she sings about self love on the new album, too. I got the CD, but I haven't heard it all the way through.
I think the new CD is more of reflection of her life now and what she has learned over the years.

I won't say what she should be focusing on, because it's HER LIFE. And if it's therapeutic for her to sing about what she's known, what's she learned, or whatever--- so be it. It's her career. If you don't like it, don't buy her music. Lord knows, there's is much WORSE B.S. music/lyrics/videos that are out there.

Back