Jukebox vs A & T

Originally posted by DR TUBAZEIN
I am truely surprised and happy to see the straight candor of you guys on this page. I am a brother from the MEAC and it's great to hear honest discussions on this page. I am a Graduate of A&T and played Tuba.

Great job by both of these oustanding hbcu institutions.!!:D
To be honest, I think that is only because the criticism came from an SU grad. Otherwise the tone would be completely different. :)

I never said SU was bad last saturday. I just remember sitting across from SU when I was marching in 94 and I remember the heat and clarity that came across the field that day. Also I remember the precision and "oneness" of that group. I didnt see that on Saturday.

SU did bring the fire on Friday though, and I thoroughly enjoyed both performances.

Originally posted by jukebox89
Batman,
You are on the money. I love HBU marching band. I call it like I see it, even when I was marching in the Jukebox. 1990 was the worst thrashing I ever took, Mumford Stadium, JSU. Man we came with a week show, but with that Jukebox mentality, and JSU got with us. It was a bitter pill to swallow. But, "To thine onself be true." We took the L and moved on. Tennesee state caught it in Nashville.:D

What year was that, cause I got some footage of the S and Tnsu going at it. And both were bringing the heat. Plus I need some help indintifing some songs on this tape. Who know, maybe I'll make a copy and send it to ya. The only thing is the footage was shot from Tsu 's side and you know how that can be.

First I want to say what's up to everybody on the board. I want to comment on the new SU Band. They are a majority underclassmen band this year, and they will improve. They just have to get that pride to want to remain on top. Like EMD OPPS! Jukebox 89 said, you got to want to be the best, and that's what SU stands for. As for skin, they need to view or listen to tapes to get the real feel for the song. As E said, that was the first song that we got and it was a killer. Just ask anybody in FAMU and JSU Band that year. Batman, I will pay just about anything to get a copy of the SU and FAMU game in Miami. Please respond.

We went to Nashville in Fall 90. TnSt was bringing it also. I cannot lie. SU and Famu met in Miami in fall of 91. Oh and 1983 was my favorite year of the Jukebox. Real Love, Raid. No more questions. Best show SU probably has ever done was the Bayou Classic 1987. You're talking about taking it to a band.

1990 was a down year for SU. That was our 1st year without Roy Johnson. Truly the Fall of 90. That was J-states year. Man those cats were bringing natural funk. To those who do not understand what it is like to really take an "L," how about Mumford stadium chanting "J-S-U Rocks the house." Then, having to march on the field after that. That is what you call truly taking an L. We had some naysayers in the band, but how can you argue with 20,000 other people. We did not put our best on the field and our fans and Jstate made us pay for it.

And Band Master, I saw what you were talking about as far as oneness in the Jukebox. But let me clear something up for you. The Human Jukebox is not your typical "everybody do the same thing" type of band. You are talking about some "wild dudes." Man you will have crabs busting skits. brothers irritating Doc , other dudes checking out the honeys in the stand. But when you hear"ready up," Nothing but nutz!! We don't have parade rest and right and left face commands. You fall in at attention and get ready to blow the bell off of the horn. So what you think you may have seen across the field is an everyday occurence in the Jukeboxl and most Jukeboxers are probably saying, "Oh that's just the band being the band. Now, we have stand routines that we do when together. But as far people jumping around and being silly, that goes back to the early 70's.

But A&T surprised me, I was expecting to see that Drumline type of band,then I remembered that they are apart of the MEAC and they have to deal with FAMU every year. They are a very good band and one that shouldn't be taken lightly.

what's up skull. You havent returned my phone call yet. I know you really want that SU and FAMU in Miami. I wonder why

Man you know me,I deal with the FAMU and JSU's all the time being in Al. One thing about me is I will call a spade a spade. JSU rocked the house on us in 1990,but we rocked on them in 89. We know we were the truth in 91 in miami. I have been searching for that tape for the longest. I tried to get some footage from tapemaster but he hasn't responded. E you know what 2 games had me hyped when we were I the band FAMU and JSU. They were the best comp. that we had. E give me the number again because I didn't get a chance to write it down.

Originally posted by A&T Brandmasta
To be honest, I think that is only because the criticism came from an SU grad. Otherwise the tone would be completely different. :)

Watch out A&T, Golden Horn will think you are 'soiling' the post. :rolleyes:

Anyway, SUtrp96...83 edition of the Jukebox was a monster! :tup:

There have been a lot of good additions of the the jukebox since 91.92,95,98,99,and 2001. Each had power on and of the field. The 95 band was the crab's of my and juke's last rip, so we know that they were right. 98 had a monster blowing band that made a tear come to your eye, and 99 keep it going. They feel off in 2000 because FAMU came to Munford correct. But as in true jukebox nature we returned the favor in 2001. One thing about me is I will tell the truth. In 2000 I call juke and told him that FAMU got the best of us. That summer Mr.j did a clinic at my school(LeFlore) all I talked about was putting it back on FAMU. THey did the job and I was back the phone with juke telling him what happen. The thing that I see with this year's jukebox is that they are young. Anytime Doc has a young band he is going to be very conservative in what he is going to do. THis was the case 2000. It is up to the upperclassmen to show leadership to be not just a good Southern band but be a great Southern band as I listed earlier. The mearsuring stick of Southern bands are 85(best ever),87,84,81,89(bias). Find tapes and use that as Your motivation to be one of the best bands. That's what we did when we were in the band. You can't be as good as you got to be better than. Batman I am still looking for that SU FAMU game in Miami in 91. Name your price and I will have it.

It's good hearing from all you JUKES.....
As we all know SU has a LOAD of great bands...I think you all need to check out some of the 96 and 97 footage....99 was a dawg, but 96 was on another level.."SOUND QUALITY WISE"

No, doubt!! 96 was on point. I saw you guys against Northwestern. SU had some very good years on the late 90's. They are having good years in the 2k.

No, doubt!! 96 was on point. I saw you guys against Northwestern. SU had some very good years on the late 90's. They are having good years in the 2k.

Heat wise...this is the best so far in the 2k's since I been out the band I was waiting to feel this type of heat from them.... I am not sure how it compares to the sound we were bringing when I was in the band.....But they are giving me more each year...

But it is easy to critique the next band on how they was in the past.....especially when that band was extra-ordinary... People tends to focus on what another band used to do, and think that automatically gives their band the upper hand.....

It just seems like every week, we hear all of the nit-pics on SU... And as long as the other band showed up and represented they are straight..... I always compare BAND A to BAND B.....Not BAND A to BAND A 10years ago then to BAND B...... Alot of folks do that.. And it's not fair.....

All in all SU is still bringing smoke, smoke that 97% of the rest of the bands can't handle.. I just refuse to do what everybody else is dying to do from week to week to the JUKEBOX...(nit-pick) on them....while the other band stands in the clear. Just from the clips I heard several on negatives that could have been brought up about A&T.......But for some strange reason..."ALL EYES ON SU".....

I AGREE WITH YOU 100% ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. IT IS SAID THAT WE DO THE SAME STUFF WEEK AFTER WEEK, BUT IF YOU LOOK JSU FLOWS JSU AND TIGERRUN,FAMU DOES THE SHAKE THE D### BEAT AND FANFARE WITH THE SLOW SONG WITH GIMMICK ANIMATION (BOAT,CAR,MAN,ETC). EVERYBODY DOES THEIR OWN TRADITION THING, BUT WE GET CRITICIZED FOR WHAT WE DO. THE ONLY THING I SAY IS WORK HARD TO KEEP THE TRADITION ALIVE. THAT IS ALL THAT OLD SCHOOL WANTS. 96 WAS ALRIGHT. THEY WERE NOT AS TIGHT AND POLISHED AS 95 WAS. THAT YEAR ALABAMA STATE GOT THE BEST OF THEM SO YOU KNOW WHAT IS UP. 97 WAS AN IMPROVEMENT ON 96, BUT THEY DID THE PARTY DON'T STOP THE ENTIRE SEASON. I NOT SAYING THAT THEY WERE NOT GOOD BUT IT TAKES A LITTLE SOMETHING SPECIAL TO BE CONSIDERED GREAT. EACH OF THE BANDS I TALKED ABOUT HAD EXTRA EDGE TO THEM. WHETHER IT WAS MARCHING,BLOWIN,DANCE ROUTINES,OR STANDS IT IS SOMETHING.

Originally posted by GREYSKULL89
I AGREE WITH YOU 100% ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. IT IS SAID THAT WE DO THE SAME STUFF WEEK AFTER WEEK, BUT IF YOU LOOK JSU FLOWS JSU AND TIGERRUN,FAMU DOES THE SHAKE THE D### BEAT AND FANFARE WITH THE SLOW SONG WITH GIMMICK ANIMATION (BOAT,CAR,MAN,ETC). EVERYBODY DOES THEIR OWN TRADITION THING, BUT WE GET CRITICIZED FOR WHAT WE DO. THE ONLY THING I SAY IS WORK HARD TO KEEP THE TRADITION ALIVE. THAT IS ALL THAT OLD SCHOOL WANTS. 96 WAS ALRIGHT. THEY WERE NOT AS TIGHT AND POLISHED AS 95 WAS. THAT YEAR ALABAMA STATE GOT THE BEST OF THEM SO YOU KNOW WHAT IS UP. 97 WAS AN IMPROVEMENT ON 96, BUT THEY DID THE PARTY DON'T STOP THE ENTIRE SEASON. I NOT SAYING THAT THEY WERE NOT GOOD BUT IT TAKES A LITTLE SOMETHING SPECIAL TO BE CONSIDERED GREAT. EACH OF THE BANDS I TALKED ABOUT HAD EXTRA EDGE TO THEM. WHETHER IT WAS MARCHING,BLOWIN,DANCE ROUTINES,OR STANDS IT IS SOMETHING.

Field Show wise you are right, well really "Dance Routines"....Bama St. did get the best of us on the field since most of the wieght relies in your dance routine.....96 wasn't a good year for Dance skits...I'll admit that....

97 did improve as far as that aspect of it... Sound quality wise, 97 could hang it up....96 had that all the way.... as far as 95 goes...They were more polished than any band since 86.... But to me that ain't the traditional SU sound....They were articulate..but to me I think they over did it........96 brought back that flavor, we put some of that funk back into the sound....Not to mention 96 brought back the MELLOS.....and trumpets were in full effect....

I've been growing up on the juke since I was kid. Went to just about every home game and all the bayou classics. It's good to see some old school juke posting. Glad to hear from ya'll. Any of ya'll planning on making the trip for homecoming? More than likely, we'll be bar-b-queing under the tree by the back door.

The brothers of KK Psi had the bomb tailgate last homecoming. I has happy to see ZN back on the yard.

The brothers of KK Psi had the bomb tailgate last homecoming. I has happy to see ZN back on the yard.

Yeah, we're definately going to try and duplicate last year's, if not make it better.

I am feeling all of the good Jukebox fellowship here.

To current Juke....don't feel bad about any of the critcism. While there are some old school Juke that will always have that "the band was great when I marched and it never will be again" mentality, most of the alumni Juke mean well and want to see the band retain its prominence in the world of marching bands. I used to have that above mentioned mentality, but it took a couple of years to wear off.

2000 should've been my last season, but I didn't march. I was kinda upset that my crab brother got taken off the DM stick, but there were some other issues. It ended up hurting the mellos that year because they didn't really have the leadership that they needed. The only other upperclassman ended up getting zipped...the reason '00 was an off year was because it was a young band. I believe only 7 seniors were there.

I think the Human Jukebox is on the rise. If old school Juke says A&T was better, than I'd tend to trust his judgement. Every couple of years the band has games like that(Ala. State '96, AAMU '98, FAMU '00), but we tend to make up for it.

Originally posted by jukeboxmello97
I am feeling all of the good Jukebox fellowship here.

To current Juke....don't feel bad about any of the critcism. While there are some old school Juke that will always have that "the band was great when I marched and it never will be again" mentality, most of the alumni Juke mean well and want to see the band retain its prominence in the world of marching bands. I used to have that above mentioned mentality, but it took a couple of years to wear off.

2000 should've been my last season, but I didn't march. I was kinda upset that my crab brother got taken off the DM stick, but there were some other issues. It ended up hurting the mellos that year because they didn't really have the leadership that they needed. The only other upperclassman ended up getting zipped...the reason '00 was an off year was because it was a young band. I believe only 7 seniors were there.

I think the Human Jukebox is on the rise. If old school Juke says A&T was better, than I'd tend to trust his judgement. Every couple of years the band has games like that(Ala. State '96, AAMU '98, FAMU '00), but we tend to make up for it.

Al State 96 was nothing but them getting house on a dance routine.....Put it like this anyone old JUKEBOXMAN that didn't give it up to us after the sound we put out that night, and we we formally INTRODUCED "TWISTED" the SAME copy that's currculating in BAMA and every where else..... They have to be on some isht...

96 SU/Ala ST. was NOT and repeat was NOT like SU/FAMU 2000..

They had no rep. we basically ran them out the stands, and told them "Keep Walking Chicken With your ARSE picked Clean" as we went on to play "Call him up" .... Get the tape.

I don't understand why you put AAMU 98...elaborate on that one.:confused:

Now if we are talking about getting out housed...

SU/FAMU 2000 wouldn't have nothing on the house GSU took from us in 1997. Lets keep it real folk.

AAMU '98 was our first game after the PV/SU altercation. Remember how Mr. J was acting. He just sat there the whole game while AAMU was blowing on us. It wasn't really an off game for us, but there's no way we could claim a W for that.

Admittedly I wasn't there for the ASU game in '96, so if you say that it wasn't like some peeps are making it out to be...ok.

I wouldn't ever deny the Bayou Classic BOTB outhousing. Hey it's not like it was my fault that Mr. J didn't write "Tyrone". Like I had a say in it.:bawling:

But as usual, they kicked over the bucket of milk that they made with that wack field show the next day.

It'll be a cold day in he!! before I say GPoo got us in 97. Getting house on one song just doesn't do it for me. They got major house on that, no doubt.....but, that was their first song coming out the gate and it sounded horrible.

2 pernts for GSPoo's crowd for completly covering that mess....nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by jukeboxmello97
AAMU '98 was our first game after the PV/SU altercation. Remember how Mr. J was acting. He just sat there the whole game while AAMU was blowing on us. It wasn't really an off game for us, but there's no way we could claim a W for that.

Admittedly I wasn't there for the ASU game in '96, so if you say that it wasn't like some peeps are making it out to be...ok.

I wouldn't ever deny the Bayou Classic BOTB outhousing. Hey it's not like it was my fault that Mr. J didn't write "Tyrone". Like I had a say in it.:bawling:

But as usual, they kicked over the bucket of milk that they made with that wack field show the next day.

I feel what you are saying now about AAMU 98, Mr.J didn't let us do our thing, and 90% of the tunes that year that was written was by Mr.J....

They blew, but the quality of their sound wasn't up to par in my standards......We blew a lil, and I do believe we got our point across...For all them HS cats to be crowding us the way they were....lol.

That game I wouldn't say we put it on them, cause we didn't...But ooo boy we could have....:eek2:

Put it like this the same way we ran threw the swac BAND wise in 97....It was even worst in 96, because the comp. was better in 97. Except JSU, but JSU got their issue as well to.....Matter of fact 96 was the last year we told alot of theose bands to keep walking chicken....lol But our dance routines we horrible, due to the SENIOR class of 93.....well not all of them just the ones that JUST knew how to get house...lol

96 we took no prisoners in the stands, on the field as well...but the dance routines....MAn we rode the dayum train all the way to the classic...lol

Originally posted by O'Bladerunner
It'll be a cold day in he!! before I say GPoo got us in 97. Getting house on one song just doesn't do it for me. They got major house on that, no doubt.....but, that was their first song coming out the gate and it sounded horrible.

2 pernts for GSPoo's crowd for completly covering that mess....nothing more, nothing less.

And you are right, I wouldn't say GSU got us in 97 to....

But that is the same as Alabama ST. playing "Elevator" on the field, which was just a TUBA SOLO....:( , they got major house for it because of the dance skit they put along with it....

So my point is, why should 96 admit BAMA got us because of a HOT TUBA solo.....

Don't even ask about the stands, because if you think we served them in 97 when they was bringing something, what make you think we didn't put it to them in 96... Some time you can just use common sense to figure a lot of that stuff out if you weren't in attendance.

Back