Jukebox vs A & T

jukebox89

I did not go to the game in Vegas, but one of my best friends did. 1st, let me state my credentials and his as well as his. I marched from 89 to 92. Trombone player. If you watch the 92 version of the bayou classic on NBC, I am the trombone player that they showed the entire show. Die Hard,Jukebox. My best friend, 2 time section leader, did 5 rips, 88-92. Current band director.
I automatically jump to the defensive when someone says something negative about the jukebox, so when my boy said that the jukebox was alright but A & T better I was :redhot: . I watched the tape last night, from marching end to marching out. I am talking about the game and not the BOTB. He was right. A & T came a little more prepared. I am not a big fan of the 5th quarter, because that is a given for the Jukebox. Southern has power. We were dissecting that field show and they were good, but should have been alot better. "I think it's love" sounds like a Puffy remix, it is not the same that Roy Johnson wrote in 86. And whoever is the saxophone section leader, needs to be beat like a horse thief, for changing the style of marching, for that section.( Watch the drill. ) Any "True" jukebox member always hear, "The Style." You have to have "The Style." You can be the best drummer, tuba player, drum major, but, "Do they have THE STYLE." That is what Southern was lacking, "The Style." I am not bashing my little brothers of the S because when they march in and I here Street Beat, the hair on the back of my neck stands up. But, I expect a perfect 10 everytime I see them. There were two other former band members watching and all of us have our jackets. I am very critical of the jukebox because they are the best and that is what they should present when they step on that field. Please stop changing the style. Watch your old band tapes. That is why the jukebox the jukebox. " It it ain't broke, don't fix it." Get back to the basics. Every one wants to know why the Jukebox is on a pedestal. It's not just the showmanship. It' s the class that we have,( playing straight ahead, not towards other bands; play through entire songs, not waiting on certain sections of the music and playing to all 4 corners of the field.) And to anyone that is not a jukebox member and want to know the real secret to what makes Southern soo great. This is our mentality. " It is not the size of the Tide. It's the blowing and the showing." Much love to all former, current and future Human Jukeboxers :eek2: :eek2:

Originally posted by jukebox89
I did not go to the game in Vegas, but one of my best friends did. 1st, let me state my credentials and his as well as his. I marched from 89 to 92. Trombone player. If you watch the 92 version of the bayou classic on NBC, I am the trombone player that they showed the entire show. Die Hard,Jukebox. My best friend, 2 time section leader, did 5 rips, 88-92. Current band director.
I automatically jump to the defensive when someone says something negative about the jukebox, so when my boy said that the jukebox was alright but A & T better I was :redhot: . I watched the tape last night, from marching end to marching out. I am talking about the game and not the BOTB. He was right. A & T came a little more prepared. I am not a big fan of the 5th quarter, because that is a given for the Jukebox. Southern has power. We were dissecting that field show and they were good, but should have been alot better. "I think it's love" sounds like a Puffy remix, it is not the same that Roy Johnson wrote in 86. And whoever is the saxophone section leader, needs to be beat like a horse thief, for changing the style of marching, for that section.( Watch the drill. ) Any "True" jukebox member always hear, "The Style." You have to have "The Style." You can be the best drummer, tuba player, drum major, but, "Do they have THE STYLE." That is what Southern was lacking, "The Style." I am not bashing my little brothers of the S because when they march in and I here Street Beat, the hair on the back of my neck stands up. But, I expect a perfect 10 everytime I see them. There were two other former band members watching and all of us have our jackets. I am very critical of the jukebox because they are the best and that is what they should present when they step on that field. Please stop changing the style. Watch your old band tapes. That is why the jukebox the jukebox. " It it ain't broke, don't fix it." Get back to the basics. Every one wants to know why the Jukebox is on a pedestal. It's not just the showmanship. It' s the class that we have,( playing straight ahead, not towards other bands; play through entire songs, not waiting on certain sections of the music and playing to all 4 corners of the field.) And to anyone that is not a jukebox member and want to know the real secret to what makes Southern soo great. This is our mentality. " It is not the size of the Tide. It's the blowing and the showing." Much love to all former, current and future Human Jukeboxers :eek2: :eek2:

I feel what you are saying JUKE....I always try to tell them to watch old tapes, that's including tunes....

I still think some old juke be ready to seel them out because they aren't exactly the way they were when they were in the band...

I marched 96-99...I also have my jacket........I watched tapes of 83 who was no JOKE.....and I seen the style change in different section threw out the years.....I hear 70's folks talk bad about the 80's all the time.......

Some of us are quick to give it to the next band when the next band do better than expected, and the "S" don't live totally up to their expectations.....

I saw the tape......the S is still ahead, whether some of us want to admit it or not...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SU TRup96,
Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing old and new, I love the S every year. But you remember when you there, it is the little things that makes Southern GREAT and that is what we should not stray away from. I say WE because once a band member.., You know the rest. But again, that was just my opinion. Southern had plenty of Strong points because he recorded from A &T side all of the second half and boy :eek2: . A & T and the fans were giving MADD props on the sound. But, I am hard on my little brothers, it should be better. PIMP and Crazy in love, man they were letting those cats have. 2 drunk fans of A & T recorded on tape, telling A and T to sit and don't play anymore after those two songs. But, a & t brought a lunch. Both were good, but I don't expect good from the Jukebox, We deserve Greatness!! Much love SUtrpt96, you are a soldier!! I love your fire for the S. You should have been one of my crab brothers.:)

SU TRup96,
Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing old and new, I love the S every year. But you remember when you there, it is the little things that makes Southern GREAT and that is what we should not stray away from. I say WE because once a band member.., You know the rest. But again, that was just my opinion. Southern had plenty of Strong points because he recorded from A &T side all of the second half and boy :eek2: . A & T and the fans were giving MADD props on the sound. But, I am hard on my little brothers, it should be better. PIMP and Crazy in love, man they were letting those cats have. 2 drunk fans of A & T recorded on tape, telling A and T to sit and don't play anymore after those two songs. But, a & t brought a lunch. Both were good, but I don't expect good from the Jukebox, We deserve Greatness!! Much love SUtrpt96, you are a soldier!! I love your fire for the S. You should have been one of my crab brothers.:)

Sheed I would have loved to march in 89 edition to get a piece of them e's at the end of "Skin"....

Sheed I was the one that begged Mr.J to bring back "Skin"... It kinda drives me to hear them not sound exactly like 89...but for the most part they are doing it some justice.....

Some folk say Mr.J ain't teaching it right....Mr.J did what he have to do....He didn't write it, he gave them the basic foundation....It is up to the band members to pull out a tape and listen to the small things they are not doing to sound close as possible to when it was previously played.....

Sheed when I was there, every old school cut we played we went to the back and listened FIRST!!!! when we got in that bandroom it was all she wrote...

skin is missing two important parts of that song.that is why it sounds empty. it is missing the 1st trumpet and 1st trombone part. And he taught it from a tape. That is like driving a car without AC. :lmao: That is why it doesn't sound like 89. That was the 1st song we got that year. After fight song, school song, spirit and i'm so glad. We learned that before purple carnival. so we had alot of practice

skin is missing two important parts of that song.that is why it sounds empty. it is missing the 1st trumpet and 1st trombone part. And he taught it from a tape. That is like driving a car without AC. :lmao: That is why it doesn't sound like 89. That was the 1st song we got that year. After fight song, school song, spirit and i'm so glad. We learned that before purple carnival. so we had alot of practice

Naw he didn't teach it from the tape, he!! I don't even think Mr.J heard the tape recently if at all... They have the 1st bone part...Cause I got that from Kennedy High...They were the only one here in New Orleans that had all of the parts to "Skin"...

The chords where the trumpets have whole notes I believe is missing one of the original parts......I can listen to the tape from 89 and make the top chord out that they are missing....I don't think they have the 1st part..but the only difference from the 1st part and the 2nd and 3rd is those whole note chords....

I was talking to Ken, played Z's ...He telling us how when ya'll first got it ya'll was like WTF is this BS....lol. He said Roy had the Bass line going with the T-bones and that's when the band started feeling it..."going crazy"....

One other thing that I believe is missing...is a couple of notches on the tempo.

If you've noticed....It sounds like Mr J is trying to be too comfortable with it. With the '89....the tempo was already chill and groove'n. So, now...it kinna sounds like we're going TxSU on "Skin" a lil.

....just an observation. Nothing concrete.

Originally posted by O'Bladerunner
One other thing that I believe is missing...is a couple of notches on the tempo.

If you've noticed....It sounds like Mr J is trying to be too comfortable with it. With the '89....the tempo was already chill and groove'n. So, now...it kinna sounds like we're going TxSU on "Skin" a lil.

....just an observation. Nothing concrete.

Yeah, it do sound like 89 played it a bit faster, not to much faster though

I am truely surprised and happy to see the straight candor of you guys on this page. I am a brother from the MEAC and it's great to hear honest discussions on this page. I am a Graduate of A&T and played Tuba.

Great job by both of these oustanding hbcu institutions.!!:D

Originally posted by DR TUBAZEIN
I am truely surprised and happy to see the straight candor of you guys on this page. I am a brother from the MEAC and it's great to hear honest discussions on this page.

:tup:

^Don't try to soil the post

But I'd like to say good job to both institutions also. I am glad to see some honest opinions. I need to get my hands on a tape dammit!

Originally posted by Golden Horn
^Don't try to soil the post

But I'd like to say good job to both institutions also. I am glad to see some honest opinions. I need to get my hands on a tape dammit!

Whatever are you talking about?....:confused:

SUtrp96, he's picking on me! :bawling:

Originally posted by ShyLadyTiger
Whatever are you talking about?....:confused:

SUtrp96, he's picking on me! :bawling:

Aww sweetums, I don't think he was picking on you......

Or was he..:confused:

Well if he was.....Stop picking on her Golden Horn....

You feel better....
:)

Originally posted by SUtrp96
Aww sweetums, I don't think he was picking on you......

Or was he..:confused:

Well if he was.....Stop picking on her Golden Horn....

You feel better....
:)

:nod2: I feel better now...Thanks SUtrp96

:p @ Golden Horn

:goodbad:

The best years of Southern that I remember were between the years of '86 and '91.

Being on top, you have a lot of people who will see you on a regular basis, and try to beat you at your own game, but you have to stick with what got you where you are, and work on the little things.

I'm not talking about just Southern (and FAMU), it's a mentality that I've had for YEARS, since I joined the "100."

Even in your best performances, we always find things that need work, AND work on them. It doesn't help you improve if you recognize you need to tighten up on some things, and don't.

I have 3 other bands besides FAMU that I have the utmost respect from, as we've gone toe to toe many years when I marched. They are Southern, J-State, and TnSU. They all had their own style, and they worked their concepts to perfection.

Much props to the old Jukebox members. Mentally, you (we) are still in the game. :cool:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Batman
The best years of Southern that I remember were between the years of '86 and '91.

Being on top, you have a lot of people who will see you on a regular basis, and try to beat you at your own game, but you have to stick with what got you where you are, and work on the little things.

I'm not talking about just Southern (and FAMU), it's a mentality that I've had for YEARS, since I joined the "100."

Even in your best performances, we always find things that need work, AND work on them. It doesn't help you improve if you recognize you need to tighten up on some things, and don't.

I have 3 other bands besides FAMU that I have the utmost respect from, as we've gone toe to toe many years when I marched. They are Southern, J-State, and TnSU. They all had their own style, and they worked their concepts to perfection.

Much props to the old Jukebox members. Mentally, you (we) are still in the game. :cool:

Did you see much of SU between 92-99?

SUtrp96,

I saw the Jukebox on a number of occasions in the 90s, mainly in the latter part, though, when they played FAMU. Very impressive groups. The band that I saw last week was good, but there seems to be so much in the middle and low brasses, that the trumpets don't sit on top of the band like they used to.

When you are going head to head with a band, you remember and appreciate more about them than when you see them as a spectator.

For example, I remember the INTENSE sound of Southern in the 80s when we played them. I could feel it from where I was standing. Same with the "100."

Nowadays, I don't get that from either, but they are both still blowing. Maybe my skin has gotten tougher, or my hearing is worse, I don't know, but I see both bands differently now than I did back then.

Is that strange?

Either way, I have grown to appreciate the differences that bands bring to the table, and instead of critiquing them every step of the way, I try to enjoy it first, critique later.

Batman,

I think what you have done is like most of us players of old. We have learned to appreciate the total package of a band other than just it's flashyness. It's times like these when you analys, that make the marching band experience that much more memorable.

You also have to take into account that programs all over the country are taking into account the seriousness of music programs and how they can be powerful advertiseing for the Univ.. So now they have put the money into these programs to have them become the famu's and the su's and the pv's and the a&t's. There also is a great volume of graduates buidling programs else where. Quality band directors are being produced. So big ups to all hbcu's. We never stop!!!!!

So proud to have gone to an hbcu!!!!

Originally posted by Batman
SUtrp96,

I saw the Jukebox on a number of occasions in the 90s, mainly in the latter part, though, when they played FAMU. Very impressive groups. The band that I saw last week was good, but there seems to be so much in the middle and low brasses, that the trumpets don't sit on top of the band like they used to.

When you are going head to head with a band, you remember and appreciate more about them than when you see them as a spectator.

For example, I remember the INTENSE sound of Southern in the 80s when we played them. I could feel it from where I was standing. Same with the "100."

Nowadays, I don't get that from either, but they are both still blowing. Maybe my skin has gotten tougher, or my hearing is worse, I don't know, but I see both bands differently now than I did back then.

Is that strange?

Either way, I have grown to appreciate the differences that bands bring to the table, and instead of critiquing them every step of the way, I try to enjoy it first, critique later.

Personally my favorite SU band is 83......

Threw out the 90's SU kept that intence sound.......I mean that sound where it feels like it is smacking oyu in the face....

When I heard FAMU in 2000...Their sound was smacking the isht out of me when I was taping them..Much different from when I faced them in 99..(my last rip) ..

Honestly (95, 96, and 97) and I would say 99 as well can easily be put in the category as some of SU's most intenced bands.....

I personally liked the sound of FAMU up tp the mid 80's better than their sound now...But that is only because of taste.....Their style is TIGHT as heck.....no one will be able to do it better than they do it......And they still bring HEAT, so you know I'll go for it....

My favorite of the 90's would be 96 edition (not because that was my crab year).......Has to be one of the BEST sounding SU bands to come threw......I'll put any money on that, along with SU 93 edition...

Golden Horn,

Check with Jon Byrd or Torey for a copy. You know they probably have a slew of requests, me includeing. Or Just as Christy!!!!!

hola lil bro!:cool: :D

Originally posted by ShyLadyTiger
I'll never forget 'Soul Train'.....I was like :eek: DAYUM!!!!

But did you mean 93?

Naw I meant 83....."hearts to Hearts" was a beast!!!!:eek2:

Batman,
You are on the money. I love HBU marching band. I call it like I see it, even when I was marching in the Jukebox. 1990 was the worst thrashing I ever took, Mumford Stadium, JSU. Man we came with a week show, but with that Jukebox mentality, and JSU got with us. It was a bitter pill to swallow. But, "To thine onself be true." We took the L and moved on. Tennesee state caught it in Nashville.
HBU marching bands to me is about 2 bands putting the best product out on the field every week and if the other bands best is better than yours that week, alright. That's incentive to do better the next week. That's why we practice and have sectionals. When I watch bands, Southern especially, I look for the little things 1st.(Is the sound clean, are we blowing through the entire show, who is skating on the field, does everyone have the style.) Alright, did the show get any house.
Man I was in the band in 91, Joe Robbie Stadium. FAMU and SU, boy that was a straight up WAR. Hella show by both bands and yes, Batman, we got the W on that one. But man, I can remember the crowd booing us when we marched in and after that halftime show, we had their respect. You have to come with your A game when you play FAMU. Doc will leave you in Florida, messing around during that game. ( just think, that is the only time Southern flips the capes over) For all you Jukeboxers that don't know what mean, It means that we are going to war.

:D

Originally posted by SUtrp96
Personally my favorite SU band is 83......

I like what I'm reading !!!
My favorite is 1987. That band went down to Florida and clowned FAMU with "Bad". "I Wanna To Dance With Somebody" "The Way You Make Me Feel".....FAMU got on the field and you could tell they were upset!!! I will never forget that band because we had to deal with them in the Dome.

And For The Third time,....I want to gewt my hands on some of that old footage as well as NC A&T!!!!!

:wavey:

Back