JSU Students Ticketed, Cars Towed, For Illegal Parking

ROYAL BLUE

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=5747935&nav=2CSf

Jackson 11/29/06

By Andrew Hasbun
andrew@wlbt.net

Student parking at Jackson State University just got a little tougher and more expensive. Wednesday, Jackson police cracked down on illegal parking which will cost dozen of students towing fees and fines.

Students admit they've been parking illegally for years. They want to know why J.P.D. is taking action now.

A large stretch of Prentiss St. was covered with cars before the police arrived. Dozens of tickets were issued and cars were towed in just a couple hours, but frustrated students say they've been parking in these illegal spots for months, even years, without any enforcement.

"I've been here three years, going on four years, and I have been parking on this street and nobody did anything," said Rondra Durr, a senior.

"They need to have more parking spaces on campus period," said Tara McLaster.

Police targeted more than 100 cars parked near the intersection of Lynch St. and Prentiss St. Some even parked right in front of the signs.

Students are able to purchase a permit from the university to park on campus, but they say there isn't enough legal parking.

"There are no places to park on campus. No places to park. Then they build these little places on campus to park on, and they are full within 30 minutes," said Durr.

"We got to spend $40 for a decal and there is nowhere to park. I want my 40 dollars back," said Willie Bradley.

Precinct Two Commander Lee Vance says J.P.D. has been lenient in the past, but construction and J.S.U.'s growing enrollment are bringing in more cars and more complaints.

"If the complaints continue to come in, we have to go and do enforcement," said Vance.

Even though they've gotten away with it for years, police warn students that the tickets and the towing will continue.

"In order to save themselves the trouble or hardship, they should find alternative parking. I wouldn't take the chance," said Vance.

In a statement, J.S.U. Officials said, "The University's Department of Public Safety has no jurisdiction over city property which borders our campus. We encourage all students, faculty, staff and visitors to our university community to adhere to all traffic and parking regulations."

Whatever! :lol:
Parking has been an issue for a loooooooooooooong time.

It would be nice to see JSU officials work with JPD/City of Jackson to be a little more flexible about parking around the campus, considering the school doesn't offer sufficient parking to begin with and with so much construction going on.

LOL... sounds like SU police. I was towed at least twice my last year at SU.

I always got towed, my poor lil jeep would always be on top/back of a tow truck. The cost was like $75 for students to get the car back. LOL

But I think if they have been parking their for months with no tickets the police could have just ticketed and gave warning that starting the next day the cars would have been towed.
Parking on/around that campus is crazy. smh

Parking at every university is hell. I know at MSU the off campus student parking is a mile away from where the classrooms are. So, JSU just needs to find alternate space and get a shuttle system together. Alcorn is doing the same thing.

These students have selective memory. JPD has been ticketing on the main streets for years. I remember a time when you couldn't pay anybody to park in front of Dixon for an extended period of time. It is now the norm to park there and other places as well.

JSU has a shuttle system (it doesn't really work). I used to ride the shuttle (well try to).. I would park in the back lot by terry road and wait 5-6 minutes for a shuttle. I would ride the shuttle to the main part of campus. Sometimes I got edgy and decided to walk instead. It ain't that big of a deal.

These new fangled students whine too much. You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs. JSU will not always be under construction. JSU will be under construction throughout the matriculation of most of the current undergraduates.

But I think if they have been parking their for months with no tickets the police could have just ticketed and gave warning that starting the next day the cars would have been towed.

way back in da day when I was at ASU, that's what they use to do.
A couple of days before they would actually start towing students cars, they would put fliers on the illegally parked cars in all the lots. On the flier was a picture of a tow truck, with the words:

WARNING: THE BIG IRON IS COMING!!!!!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

some students use to chance it though and park anyway, only to get scooped up by "the big iron" later on.
:lol::lol::lol:

Early one morning I was on my way to Mico. for a test, walked out the dorm and my car was gone. I didn't know if it was towed or stolen, I said to myself, "I'll take care of that when I finish this test". It was towed, but we didn't have to pay anything because someone had asked us to park on the street due to some HC activities.

But hell we were getting ticketed, booted, and or towed, and not necessarily in that order.

ABE is right, these mofos whine too much. They don't wanna walk to class over a block. They have shuttle buses rolling from a vast parking bastion at the E-Center, but students don't want to wait on a shuttle...they want to come and go as they please. We have become creatures of convience....with all the construction going on...Hell Yeah, parking is going to be inconvient. I guess these kids think Rome was built in a day.

Let them get a Job in New York or Atlanta....then they will see Inconvient Parking like a mofo.

On the flier was a picture of a tow truck, with the words:

some students use to chance it though and park anyway, only to get scooped up by "the big iron" later on.

We would say, "Stokes gonna get cha!" :lol:

Now this is the truth!
I work in downtown Atlanta, and I park about 3 miles from where I work and ride the shuttle to work.

Exactly!! We are breeding a whole generation of "Titty Babies". I had to hear stories from my dad about fighting off grizzly bears and wolves with his loose leaf binder, geometry compass and number 2 pencil through 6 miles of snow just to walk to school everyday. lol

These kids mad cuz they gotta walk over 50 ft to class and they get bent out of shape when the professor asks them to cut their cell phones off during a lecture.

A nation of Titty Babies is what we are raising!

I'm dealing with these same issues at Texas Southern...sad part I'm getting alot of flack from Faculty.

~agrees with Makaho on these whiney students~

...since JSU is in the construction mode.

Dont know how much room yall got on your campus, but yall might as well, gone and build a parking deck to help with the crisis if there's one; thats what CAU did if any of you have been on their campus and seen theirs.

At A&M(correct me if I'm wrong bulldogs); if you dont live on campus; SWAT will not let you drive on campus where most of the classes are held. They make you park your car somewhere over by the football stadium, and you have to catch a ride(or walk)on the bulldog shuttle service.

Something like that.

"Snake"

way back in da day when I was at ASU, that's what they use to do.
A couple of days before they would actually start towing students cars, they would put fliers on the illegally parked cars in all the lots. On the flier was a picture of a tow truck, with the words:

:lmao: I think they still did that when I was there.......my silly azz always ended up with a boot cause I would be runnin late for class and didn't think I would get caught......I got away with it a few times. :lol:

But anyway, if you are not satisfied with the parking fees, then do like we did in 1992: PROTEST. :tup: :lol:

"No Justice......no class!!" And I still have the t-shirt. :lol:

~agrees with Makaho on these whiney students~

...since JSU is in the construction mode.

Dont know how much room yall got on your campus, but yall might as well, gone and build a parking deck to help with the crisis if there's one; thats what CAU did if any of you have been on their campus and seen theirs.

At A&M(correct me if I'm wrong bulldogs); if you dont live on campus; SWAT will not let you drive on campus where most of the classes are held. They make you park your car somewhere over by the football stadium, and you have to catch a ride(or walk)on the bulldog shuttle service.

Something like that.

"Snake"

That parking deck at CAU is a MESS... because you have to pay $5 a day to park there (if there more than 2 hours)

AAMU's parking situation is beautiful compared to other HBCU's I have been to. If you dont stay on campus you cant even get on main campus. You have to park either in the front of Patton Hall (facing Meridian Street).... or the football stadium/Elmore Gymnasium (West Campus).... and ride the

pics_long.jpg
to class

That parking deck at CAU is a MESS... because you have to pay $5 a day to park there (if there more than 2 hours)

AAMU's parking situation is beautiful compared to other HBCU's I have been to. If you dont stay on campus you cant even get on main campus. You have to park either in the front of Patton Hall (facing Meridian Street).... or the football stadium/Elmore Gymnasium (West Campus).... and ride the

pics_long.jpg
to class

Deyummm! Ain know Clark made them pay...WOW!

When I was at A&M; I parked my car at the Morrison Bldg(band room side), and walked to all my classes. Guess I would be messed up if I was in school now and living off campus like I was. But Patton Hall wouldn have been to bad. LOL

"Snake"

Deyummm! Ain know Clark made them pay...WOW!

When I was at A&M; I parked my car at the Morrison Bldg(band room side), and walked to all my classes. Guess I would be messed up if I was in school now and living off campus like I was. But Patton Hall wouldn have been to bad. LOL

"Snake"

Its not ALL of Patton Hall Parking lot... like the first 5 rows are for faculty and staff... students get the last 4 rows closer to Meridian Street.

and yeah I HATED that at CAU... I went on and put 25 in my budget for parking when I went there because I knew I was going to have to pay $5 a day for a week.

The folice on the yard get on my dmn nerves!!! You never know where and when to park. They give us zones, yet they tow us out of them. But since about 50 people jumped on one of the tow truck drivers and a folice, things have been rather quiet.

this is bull sh!!! matter of fact they got the street blocked off leadin to alexander parkin lot. i mean how would they feel if their job made them pay for a decal, and said get in where you fit in!? but like black folks we goin park where we want to anyway. i thought they was supposed to be building a parking garage...

Why not let students/folk park on the sides of the parkway, weher it curves around behind the AAC?? The parkway cuts through what used to be the back AAC lot. Now it's nothing but grass from the road back to the back of those houses on Eastdale St.

Why not let 'em park there???

You people who call the students whiners are probably those same people who said they had to walk five miles in the snow to and from school. The parking is horrible due to the construction of buildings and the pedestrian parkway. There really is no where on campus to park, and the shuttle bus is a joke. You'll be late for class riding the shuttle than walking across campus.
Mason said there was going to be a parking garage on campus soon, but that won't happen any time this decade. Now there is talk about have a stadium near campus. That will really cause a headache with parking. I don't think students are whining, they just want to get what they are paying for and you can't blame them for that "Old Timers."

Back