JSU president resigns amid finance issues

Your right and JSU still is one of the most stable. Unstable is when the OP budget and endowment is low in this case ours is not. A reserve is used by many school to do what JSU did and often the general public never knows because it's the type of account that get replenished. And Dnt let jag89 get to you. He always comment negatively toward JSU. Do what I did and nicely ignore him, honestly unless he's going to help contribute to JSU then his comments are irrelevant

Delusional thoughts are not the way to fix JSU’s financial problems. You are hurting yourself and JSU when you do that. This is akin to a doctor telling a patient to change their diet because their bad eating habits will kill them, but the patient continues to defy the doctor’s orders. I’m sure there are many doctors who are always saying, “I tried to tell'em”. LOL!!!

Last edited:
Dude, please. That system has caused su so much pain and suffering over the years for it's students and staff.
JSU has ONE major issue in 20 years and you act like it's the end of the university. Quit being hypocritical.
JSU still is one of the most stable HBCU's in the nation.

Thanks!!! I can add this to my list on the Smack Board. LMAO!!!

University presidents don’t stay around as long as they used to

Once university presidents seemed to hold office forever. As a new Kirk Fordice appointee to the IHL Board in 1992, I was awed by the tenure of Walter Washington, 25 years as president at Alcorn State University; Kent Wyatt, 24 years at Delta State University; and Aubrey Lucas, 21 years at the University of Southern Mississippi after four years at Delta State.

Their tenures as presidents were not uncommon. Jacob Reddix served 27 years at Jackson State University; Charles Hogarth, 25 years at Mississippi University for Women; John Davis Williams, 22 years at the University of Mississippi; and James Herbert White, 21 years at Mississippi Valley State University.

When these stalwarts began to retire, presidential tenures started to decline. Robert Khayat served 14 years at Ole Miss; Don Zacharias, 12 years at Mississippi State University; Clyda Rent, 12 years at MUW; Clinton Bristow, 11 years at ASU; William Sutton, 10 years at MVSU; Ron Mason, 10 years at JSU; and John Hilpert, 10 years at DSU.

Meyers made it almost six years at JSU as did Dan Jones at Ole Miss. Other recent terms were shorter — Chris Brown and George Ross, two years at ASU; Robert Foglesong, two years at MSU; David Potter, three years at DSU; Charles Lee, four years at MSU; and Horace Fleming, four years at USM; and Martha Saunders and Shelby Thames, five years at USM.

What happened? No one thing, but a confluence of things. The presidents’ jobs got more complex and demanding, particularly as fund-raising, political maneuvering, schmoozing and board involvement became 24/7 demands.

In the old days, presidents were like kings with minimum board oversight. The whispered maxim of the extraordinary Walter Washington was “my way or the highway.” As society became more egalitarian, authoritarian leadership became less acceptable to faculty, students and alumni. The IHL Board began to seek other qualities in candidates.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/opinion/other-voices/article111102132.html#storylink=cpy

This is true on the short tenure of university presidents, but Meyers should have been asking a litany of questions before rushing to start any new programs, such as,
1) How much will the startup of these new programs initially cost?
2) Will these new programs increase the university's revenue via increase enrollment, endowment, research grants, etc.?
3) When can the university expect a return value on these new programs?
4) Will these new programs benefit the region we serve?
5) How will these new programs benefit other programs at JSU?

Last edited:
This is true on the short tenure of university presidents, but Meyers should have been asking a litany of questions before rushing to start any new programs, such as,
1) How much will the startup of these new programs initially cost?
2) Will these new programs increase the university's revenue via increase enrollment, endowment, research grants, etc.?
3) When can the university expect a return value on these new programs?
4) Will these new programs benefit the region we serve?
5) How will these new programs benefit other programs at JSU?

I think the IHL is ultimately responsible for the stuff you listed.

http://www.mississippi.edu/board/downloads/policiesandbylaws.pdf#page=3&zoom=auto,-70,460
SECTION 500 ‐

ACADEMIC AFFAIRS 501 ACADEMIC PROGRAMS AND UNITS

All new curricula, departments, programs of study, organized research or services being proposed by any or all of the institutions must be submitted to the Board and must be approved by the Board before being initiated.

502 NEW ACADEMIC PROGRAMS AND UNITS
Requests to establish new degree programs, colleges, schools, departments, institutes, and centers will be considered by the Board on a schedule and in accordance with guidelines and procedures to be determined by the Commissioner after consultation with the Institutional Executive Officers. In developing such guidelines and procedures, the Commissioner shall consider state, system, and institutional priorities, institutional missions, institutional performance, comparative funding, market demand, and other appropriate criteria.

http://www.mississippi.edu/board/downloads/policiesandbylaws.pdf#page=3&zoom=auto,-70,460
SECTION 500 ‐

All new curricula, departments, programs of study, organized research or services being proposed by any or all of the institutions must be submitted to the Board and must be approved by the Board before being initiated.

Requests to establish new degree programs, colleges, schools, departments, institutes, and centers will be considered by the Board on a schedule and in accordance with guidelines and procedures to be determined by the Commissioner after consultation with the Institutional Executive Officers. In developing such guidelines and procedures, the Commissioner shall consider state, system, and institutional priorities, institutional missions, institutional performance, comparative funding, market demand, and other appropriate criteria.

You might be right, but Dr. Meyers should have taken the extra steps to see to it that the IHL Board was on top of its game concerning JSU.

SECTION 500 ‐

Don't waste ur time with jag89

Nope, don't waste your time with me, because I'm the reason why Dr. Meyers had to resign. Thank Jimmy!!!! LOL!!!

Two new candidates jsu alumni are pushing for outside of Dr. James T Minor are Dr. Barrett Hatches and Dr. Jerald Woolfork but Dr. James T. Minor has the most alumni support as of now.

Back