JSU president resigns amid finance issues

bernard

THEE Realist
Jackson State University president Carolyn Meyers announced her resignation Tuesday afternoon after denying rumors about her departure last week.

Her resignation comes on the heels of the discovery that JSU’s cash reserves have plummeted 89 percent in the last five years, landing at $4.2 million for the 2016 fiscal year that ended in the fall.

Meyers in a short resignation letter said she was leaving "out of genuine love of and pride in the university. She said her resignation would be effective Nov. 1, and that she is prepared to vacate the president's residence at the school within 30 days.

"As the university has done for anyone leaving for any reason — voluntary or involuntary — and in accordance with the JSU handbook (which by the way precedes my tenure) I expect that I would also receive an extra thirty days of compensation as well as compensation for all accrued benefits," Meyers wrote in a letter to Higher Education Commissioner Glenn Boyce.

An email Meyers sent to the JSU community Oct. 18 prompted talk of her leaving, as she reflected on her tenure as president. It referred to her goals when she first took on the role in 2011, the development of JSU's Madison and downtown Jackson campuses, new degree programs and First Lady Michelle Obama's commencement speech last spring.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...esident-resigns-amid-finance-issues/92743788/

Yet young blacks say they aren't voting. It doesnt matter remember.......... Better wake up these white folks gunning for you!

A lot of what happened was self-inflicted, but I do believe the IHL Board stood idly by and watched what was going on in order to take control of the university.

Last edited:
Man I hate to say it, but The Great State of Mississippi is going to fugg over JSU right now. Put a freeze on the growth they had going and do major cutbacks.

Man I hate to say it, but The Great State of Mississippi is going to fugg over JSU right now. Put a freeze on the growth they had going and do major cutbacks.
Like they tried to fugg over Alcorn and JSU folks stepped in and STOPPED it. JSU will be fine. Too many of us in high places for it not to be.
If it can happen to JSU, just know that Alcorn and Valley aren't too far behind.
AND MISSISSIPPI IS NOT AND HAS NEVER BEEN A GREAT STATE.

A lot of what happened was self-inflicted, but I do believe the IHL Board stood idly by and watched what was going on in order to take control of the university.
Honestly JSU alums had more pressure for Myers to leave than IHL. This is about more of what Myers did with her strict dictatorship and Vivian fuller.

Like they tried to fugg over Alcorn and JSU folks stepped in and STOPPED it. JSU will be fine. Too many of us in high places for it not to be.
If it can happen to JSU, just know that Alcorn and Valley aren't too far behind.
THATS Wat I was telling my girlfriend who is a uapb grad. We fortunately have a nice bit of quite/hidden power within the state. JSU situation not as bad it's just so much happening so fast and in the middle of the semester and on top of the news outlets, especially CL choosing certain words to get a negative reaction. What people must realize is the reserve and the operating budget are totally different and also Jsu USB doing fine with IT endowment and receiveing a host of grants especially in stem. So the reserve is just Like a savings account you or I might have. THAT CAN always be built bck up.

Last edited:
Honestly JSU alums had more pressure for Myers to leave than IHL. This is about more of what Myers did with her strict dictatorship and Vivian fuller.

Going from a cash flow surplus of $17 million to a deficit of $8 million during her tenure, basically a $25 million spending increase, I'm sure the IHL Board saw what was going on since they were supposedly approving everything. Not to degrade her legacy at JSU, Meyers remind me of a lot of Black folks I have met in Virginia. You can't build your legacy on a wing and a prayer when it comes to finances, especially when it is other people's money. What I have experienced is that a lot of Black people in Virginia have a weird way of handling finances, which IMO is attributed to a lot of crooked Black preachers in Virginia.

Va. pastor, wife accused of swindling $1.2M from churchgoers
http://wtop.com/alexandria/2016/10/va-pastor-wife-accused-of-swindling-1-2m-from-churchgoers/

http://up.anv.bz/latest/anvload.htm...lMTJmNDIzZjQxNTA0ZjIwNzAwMDE4OGRhZjg4MjUxYiJ9

Last edited:

See, this is THEE stupidity people speak of when they are into their feelings or just don't know any better. Smack is for the smack board so when speaking on this forum it's real talk for some educated folks that understand the difference. First I said I hate it for JSU. Which I do. The school was making great strides in the expansion of programs and everything. Just hate they did it without balancing the books.

Second, WHENEVER I say The Great State of Mississippi it is in the form of sarcasm. Damn I hate explaining myself to simple people. If you have ever lived in this state you know it's far from great. But, you being in your feelings didn't take time to catch that. And I have used that quite often when talking about MS.

Third, yes the state is going to come in and fugg everything up that JSU have started building up. They will get the reserves back up. But what will be the cost? So that wasn't talking noise or making funnies that's a fact. They will be doing some heavy cutting around there for the next year and a half.

Last, Alcorn has enough people in high places to handle business themselves. We work with JSU and Valley because that's what we ALL need to do to survive in this Great State of Mississippi. So don't put yourself above the rest because you're not. Hell the state just let JSU fugg up all their money and didn't say nothing until it was too late. So what school is looking crazy? At least when the last president at Alcorn had the problems it was caught internally first. The state was presented the situation then they acted. They didn't act first.

I wonder if Vivian Fuller and Sanford O'Neil will leave with Meyers? Meyers was never media friendly, I think she had a phobia in dealing with the media. JSU students said "they never really knew Meyers." Thank God! Get gone lady!

I wonder if Vivian Fuller and Sanford O'Neil will leave with Meyers? Meyers was never media friendly, I think she had a phobia in dealing with the media. JSU students said "they never really knew Meyers." Thank God! Get gone lady!

Really? I thought students liked her.

Meyers didn't care anything for JSU, if she did, she would have given a two weeks notice when she resigned.

I don't think she resigned in the sense that folks think. I think they gave her the option to resign or be fired and they wanted it effective immediately but since she resigned they allowed it to become official at the first of the month.

As much as I disagree with the Southern University System Board a lot, I wouldn't trade the system setup for nothing. The Board acts as that executive branch of the system that somewhat keeps the System President and the campus Chancellors honest. Basically, the system has a built-in checks and balances.

Dude, please. That system has caused su so much pain and suffering over the years for it's students and staff.
JSU has ONE major issue in 20 years and you act like it's the end of the university. Quit being hypocritical.
JSU still is one of the most stable HBCU's in the nation.

Dude, please. That system has caused su so much pain and suffering over the years for it's students and staff.
JSU has ONE major issue in 20 years and you act like it's the end of the university. Quit being hypocritical.
JSU still is one of the most stable HBCU's in the nation.
Your right and JSU still is one of the most stable. Unstable is when the OP budget and endowment is low in this case ours is not. A reserve is used by many school to do what JSU did and often the general public never knows because it's the type of account that get replenished. And Dnt let jag89 get to you. He always comment negatively toward JSU. Do what I did and nicely ignore him, honestly unless he's going to help contribute to JSU then his comments are irrelevant

Back