JSU NEEDS NEW MUSIC!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bengal E said:
First off, that is not the Get Ready that I played in the BOOM. I even remember somebody re-writing it but I don't remember if it was Taylor (after I left) or Liddell. But it ain't the same one, instrumentation and sounding better my foot. It ain't the same tuba part, nor piccolo. It was ironic SLT that I saw you at the game, because I had thought about you earlier that day when the crabs came over to the AAC and played. And I thought then where was the piccolo part? and thought about you.

It was great to see you!!!:heart: :love:

I think we all agree that the band sounds good, but there is more that can be done. The crabs were fi in tha AAC. I was like whoa these are just crabs?? They played snippets of Torn and Crazy, I wish I had heard the whole band, but I didn't stay for the 5th. I bet that same song that was in my head is the one ya'll was talking about, they played it in the 4th and I was singing it all the way back to ATL until I went to sleep. But of course now I can't remember it.

My question is: Is the book not up to par because of not enough music or is Liddell just not playing what ya'll got? And yes I understand ya'll played 7 or however many new songs.

I'm glad I read your post because I was wondering if Get Ready was played the same way year after year. I'm no musician, but back in the 80s and early 90s those tubas seem to me to be booming and very prominent. Was it that they had more tuba players back then? Man, I loved how you could hear those tuba outside the stadium.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
dallastiger said:
A part in particular I noticed that's different is the trombone part.......there's one note for sure that used to be longer and now it's shortnened.....it's like instead of a half note, it's now a quarter note played staccato or something.

Anyway....it still sounds good, just wondering why the change. I remember Liddell saying that you don't change tradition.......well........somebody did.

Nope chief, I was in the trombone section from 1994 - 1997 and section leader from '95-97. They playing the same exact chords and parts we played 10 years ago. Every year the section sounds different because the numbers fluctuate. Some years you may not hear the 3rd or 2nd parts on Get Ready as clearly if their numbers are small. They kinda get lost. But when they have a full section of 30 or more as they do this year, you hear everything. That's what you hear. No parts have been changed, the instrumentation is good.

As far as notes being longer, you're probably talking about the bridge which is full of whole notes in the trombone part. Nothing has changed on the music, just the sections phrasing. They are basically running out of breath and cutting the notes short trying to play loud, lol! Instead of holding the note out four counts they are cutting it about 3 and 1/2, and taking a big breath in between, lol! They just need a few more crunches.

CriTAUcal said:
But the difference between me and you is that most of the time, I'm just kidding. You? You be DEAD serious! :lol:

How do you know I am dead serious? Can you see me laughing when I am posting?...:retard:

BTW, you looked kinda serious when you addressed buddy from GSU....:tup:

I have listened to the Motown 30th rendition and the 34th NAACP Image Award rendition. They are the same pitches and parts. What is different between the two is the articulations. The latter has more notes played staccato.

For all that Dowell Taylor did FOR the Boom, the changes made to Get Ready are the ones that I totally dislike. The only thing worse is the articulation changes that Liddell made. All of the funk and groove was taken out. Both those versions sound plastic to me.

When my local HS asked me for a tune to use in pre-game to feature their dancers, Get Ready was the easy choice. I patterned it after Sivad's and the kids love it. They play it pretty well, too.

dacontinent said:
I have listened to the Motown 30th rendition and the 34th NAACP Image Award rendition. They are the same pitches and parts. What is different between the two is the articulations. The latter has more notes played staccato.

For all that Dowell Taylor did FOR the Boom, the changes made to Get Ready are the ones that I totally dislike. The only thing worse is the articulation changes that Liddell made. All of the funk and groove was taken out. Both those versions sound plastic to me.

When my local HS asked me for a tune to use in pre-game to feature their dancers, Get Ready was the easy choice. I patterned it after Sivad's and the kids love it. They play it pretty well, too.

Groovy

dacontinent said:

Now that's true about the articulations. I think that's what's really changed over time, not the song itself. Instrumentation and articulation. In my mind not necessarily better or worse, just different.

SUtrp96 said:
How do you know I am dead serious? Can you see me laughing when I am posting?...:retard:

Leave me alone, Jared! :lol:

SUtrp96 said:

Hush boi........!! :smug2:

jaydog said:
Now that's true about the articulations. I think that's what's really changed over time, not the song itself. Instrumentation and articulation. In my mind not necessarily better or worse, just different.

Supposed JSU kept playing it the way Taylor had them playing it and Valley played the articulations the way you all play it now... I believe you all will much rougher on them then you all are being on JSU for changing it up...:tup:

SUtrp96 said:
Supposed JSU kept playing it the way Taylor had them playing it and Valley played the articulations the way you all play it now... I believe you all will much rougher on them then you all are being on JSU for changing it up...:tup:

Of course we would be much rougher, look who you said would be playing it :lmao: Forreal though i see what you are implying though but thats simply not the case, even when GSU played the song version of "Get Ready" i dont recall any jstate people coming down hard on them. That was the only song they played the whole game last year that sounded good. Honestly "Get Ready" sounds the same to me with different instrumentation.

jaydog said:

Yeah that's pretty much was I was thinking. Not necessarily the arrangement. And you're right Jay, not necessarily better or worse....but I guess I just got curious as to why the change took place. oh well, they sound good though.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SUtrp96 said:

Nope, because they sound damn good right now.

SLT said:
:tup:

I'll print this off and ask my nephew. :lol:
As a matter of fact, let me go Yahoo Music and listen to it to see if that's the one!

Nowadays when I hear songs I mostly listen to the melody/beat instead of hearing the words..:lol:

I'm definitely old skool, huh? :shame: :lol: :D

I think you are talking about "Rain On Me" by SWV. Atleast that's what I thought it was. It sure did sound DAMN good.

And that "In My Mind" is gonna turn some heads. Everybody in my section was looking in awe at how beautiful the Boom sounded playing it.

dallastiger said:
Well #1, JSU IS still good....VERY good and has a GREAT sound.
But #2...seriously, I wish SOME of the S.U. people on here would really get off their high horse on here. SU is a good band with a sound that nobody else has and we all know why.....but nobody...well....definitely not JSU is biting SU or wants to be like Southern.

ok first off didnt i hear you say that you werent even in the boom.....ok so you be quiet......to people who actually MARCHED OR MARCH IN THE BOOM THEN.....when has jstate been known for powerful french horn or baritone sections? hmmm.......southern always has been known to be heavy in those sections except for 00 when we only had 8 f horns. so now jsu has almost 30 baritones.....and almost or more than 20 french horns.....funny that those numbers are almost identical to that of the Human Jukebox......bottom line when i was coming up, jsu was known for a lot of things,those two sections werent it.they were known in the M for having a good drum section, trumpet section,trombone section, and a fairly good woodwind section. period. most people from memphis didnt go to jsu if they played btone or fhorn. if they were good on either they went to tnsu (btone) or southern.maybe even pine bluff(fhorn) but i cant remember saying when i was in high school.....mane jstate f horns so cold....! or jsu botnes raw! because those sections were irrelavent in your band in the 90's. now theyre becoming the focal point. bottom line your instrumentation is becoming more and more like Southern. there werent as many woddwinds either when i saw you last weekend either. but i guess im tripping huh?

ZNSpr03 said:
ok first off didnt i hear you say that you werent even in the boom.....ok so you be quiet......to people who actually MARCHED OR MARCH IN THE BOOM THEN.....when has jstate been known for powerful french horn or baritone sections? hmmm.......southern always has been known to be heavy in those sections except for 00 when we only had 8 f horns. so now jsu has almost 30 baritones.....and almost or more than 20 french horns.....funny that those numbers are almost identical to that of the Human Jukebox......bottom line when i was coming up, jsu was known for a lot of things,those two sections werent it.they were known in the M for having a good drum section, trumpet section,trombone section, and a fairly good woodwind section. period. most people from memphis didnt go to jsu if they played btone or fhorn. if they were good on either they went to tnsu (btone) or southern.maybe even pine bluff(fhorn) but i cant remember saying when i was in high school.....mane jstate f horns so cold....! or jsu botnes raw! because those sections were irrelavent in your band in the 90's. now theyre becoming the focal point. bottom line your instrumentation is becoming more and more like Southern. there werent as many woddwinds either when i saw you last weekend either. but i guess im tripping huh?
Dude understand that they may be a focal point because of the type of songs they play now versus the 90s rather than just because they trying to be like Southern. I attended both schools (JSU) in the early 90s and (SU) in the late 90s and I can attest that they are not trying or nor is their sound like Southern.

Bengal E said:
First off, that is not the Get Ready that I played in the BOOM. I even remember somebody re-writing it but I don't remember if it was Taylor (after I left) or Liddell. But it ain't the same one, instrumentation and sounding better my foot. It ain't the same tuba part, nor piccolo.

Tell 'em, Bengal.... The tuba part they play now is different from when I was in the Boom as well.

And while the numbers are different now, the sound shouldn't be... But it is.... The biggest difference I hear is at the end. The last whole note isn't played as a whole note, but two half notes. Why do the baritones rest on the first two counts and crank on the last two?? That's not how it was written... But that's how it's played....

But if the rumor is correct (that DTaylor will conduct the Alumni band for homecoming), I bet you won't hear that ending... You'll hear it how he wrote it... And it won't take long for him to change it. After some of the newer old schoolers (the Liddells) play it like that first time, DT'll look over those glasses, and whisper ever so quietly, "Never again, play an ending like that. Play what I wrote. NOT, what you thought I wrote." And they'll play it again, and it'll be gone...... :D:D

:dude:

Taylor-Made'90 said:
Tell 'em, Bengal.... The tuba part they play now is different from when I was in the Boom as well.

And while the numbers are different now, the sound shouldn't be... But it is.... The biggest difference I hear is at the end. The last whole note isn't played as a whole note, but two half notes. Why do the baritones rest on the first two counts and crank on the last two?? That's not how it was written... But that's how it's played....

But if the rumor is correct (that DTaylor will conduct the Alumni band for homecoming), I bet you won't hear that ending... You'll hear it how he wrote it... And it won't take long for him to change it. After some of the newer old schoolers (the Liddells) play it like that first time, DT'll look over those glasses, and whisper ever so quietly, "Never again, play an ending like that. Play what I wrote. NOT, what you thought I wrote." And they'll play it again, and it'll be gone...... :D:D

:dude:
Taylor's gonna bring some of that old funk...I got take the ride up I-55

SUtrp96 said:
From them clips from yesterday at the BOTB I beg to differ. Just my opinion though.

I respect that its just your opinion...U real quick to jump to the defense when someone say something about SU based off clips so Im shocked u actually tried to judge the boom off clips. The boom sounds d*mn good in person, so until u actually hear and c them....u get the point:nod2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back