JSU NEEDS NEW MUSIC!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallastiger

dallastiger
Ok I'm sure I'm gonna get blasted by old or current Boom members. The Boom sounds GOOOOOOOOD!!!! VERY GOOD!!!! Best I've heard in a while. But somebody close to the Boom, please tell me...WHY.....WHY is there hardly any new music being played. Liddell has them sounding good but where are the new arrangements. I heard a couple of new songs, but all these other bands have a sihtload of music. From what I've heard, Liddell is arrogant, selfish and it's all about him. Valley with their high school sized band had way more music and had the crowd singing the theme to the Jeffersons which was tight. Liddell had these boys/girls playin "Hay in the middle of the barn" and other OLD tunes ONCE AGAIN. Liddell has even changed Get Ready from what it used to be.....small parts but I DO notice it and so do others. What gives?

Dowell Taylor, send help!

Liddell has not CHANGED Get Ready... smh.... and for the last time. Liddell has been band director for OVER twice as long as Taylor was... let it go.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
NOISE TALKA said:
Liddell has not CHANGED Get Ready... smh.... and for the last time. Liddell has been band director for OVER twice as long as Taylor was... let it go.

NT, sorry man.....I'm not gonna let it go. I played the SAME version of Get Ready in HIGH SCHOOL in Jackson that J-State played when Taylor was there....some parts HAVE changed....small but I notice it and so do friends of mine that were in the Boom in the past. And where's the "funkyness" that they used to have when they used to march in? The funky swaying...etc.
I don't care how long Liddell has been there....woop-dee-doo.......there's hardly any new music....that's my point. A few songs are new....otherwise.....every thing else is all the same. Like I said though....best sound I've from the Boom in a few years....but somebody needs to get to arranging some new stuff.

So who wrote this new version of Get Ready.... There must be another Dowell Taylor out there, because his name is still on the SAME music.

i feel what u sayin. Doc is real picky about his music. i know the student arrangers have aplenty songs but doc says no. when i was there, kevan and will had lots of songs that wasent really played, but thats doc liddell for ya...me personally i think its his time, he aint got to leave jackson st, but he need to up his title better let doc james retire and take his job.........

NOISE TALKA said:
So who wrote this new version of Get Ready.... There must be another Dowell Taylor out there, because his name is still on the SAME music.

The song is the same, but the instrumentation has changed.

Why did they change up The Show? The whole "express yourself" interlude doesn't work.

I somewhat agree with dallastiger on the music to a point. I would like to hear a broader selection in the stands. They sound good....but at the same time I start to tune them out when I begin to hear the same songs game after game. :)

SLT said:
I somewhat agree with dallastiger on the music to a point. I would like to hear a broader selection in the stands. They sound good....but at the same time I start to tune them out when I begin to hear the same songs game after game. :)

Yep, that's pretty much what I was saying. I LOVE the sound man.....volume and balanced. Doc has done a great job in that aspect. Am I allowed to call him Doc even though I wasn't in the band? :swink:

dallastiger said:
Am I allowed to call him Doc even though I wasn't in the band? :swink:

:lol:

Yeah, I must admit, I was singing "Moving on up" also....:D

The Get Ready they played on the field sounded like the version that was there when I was in the band. The piccolo part is what gave it away and Taylor didn't come until 1984. I could be wrong, but it did sound like the older version.

southsuburbs said:
but not really...
:shh:

:lol:

Personally, I ain't got a problem with him calling him Doc. Now if he had on some Sonic BOOM para, then I'd have a problem.

dallastiger said:
Ok I'm sure I'm gonna get blasted by old or current Boom members. The Boom sounds GOOOOOOOOD!!!! VERY GOOD!!!! Best I've heard in a while. But somebody close to the Boom, please tell me...WHY.....WHY is there hardly any new music being played. Liddell has them sounding good but where are the new arrangements. I heard a couple of new songs, but all these other bands have a sihtload of music. HAVE YOU BEEN TO EVERY SWAC GAME SINCE THE SEASON STARTED, HELL NO.:shh:
From what I've heard, Liddell is arrogant, selfish and it's all about him. STOP LISTEN AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. Valley with their high school sized band had way more music and had the crowd singing the theme to the Jeffersons which was tight. OKAY THEY HAVE BEEN PLAYING IT FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN. I HATE IT WHEN SOMEONE ONLY COMES TO ONE GAME EXPECTING TO HEAR 45 SONGS. IF YOU COULD LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE GAME THEN YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN, THE BOOM PLAYED 4 NEW SONGS AFTER THE GAME (NEW AS IN BRAND NEW). 3 NEW SONGS DURING THE GAME. THIS BEING THE 4TH WEEK OF FOOTBALL I THINK THE BAND KNOWS JUST AS MANY SONGS AS ANYBODY IN THE SWAC. LIKE IT OR NOT.:D

Liddell had these boys/girls playin "Hay in the middle of the barn" and other OLD tunes ONCE AGAIN. AT LEAST 75% OF SWAC BANDS PLAY HEY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BARN. Liddell has even changed Get Ready from what it used to be.....small parts but I DO notice it and so do others. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS BEEN CHANGED ON GET READY IS THE VOLUME AND ITS MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU EVER HEARD.:lmao: What gives?

OH AND LAST FREE FREE AND FREE

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
1996mobb,

The Get Ready they played on the field was different than what they have played in recent games. It sounded almost like the version from the earlier Boom...pre Taylor.

Now the Boom played one song in the stands and for the life of me, neither my nephew(16 yrs) nor I could think of the name/artist. And both of us had heard the song before. Can you name the 4 new songs they played to see if I recognize it. That was on our mind that whole night trying to figure out what the name was. :D

SLT said:
1996mobb,

The Get Ready they played on the field was different than what they have played in recent games. It sounded almost like the version from the earlier Boom...pre Taylor.

Now the Boom played one song in the stands and for the life of me, neither my nephew(16 yrs) nor I could think of the name/artist. And both of us had heard the song before. Can you name the 4 new songs they played to see if I recognize it. That was on our mind that whole night trying to figure out what the name was. :D

PLease take 1996 out of his name....

Finally someone says what other from other schools been saying, so now I guess it's not considered as hate now. That old book would get you ate up by a band with a much better book....:tup:

SUtrp96 said:
PLease take 1996 out of his name....

Finally someone says what other from other schools been saying, so now I guess it's not considered as hate now.

My bad....1995mobb.....:|

It's how I said it. :read:

1995mobb said:
OH AND LAST FREE FREE AND FREE

HAVE YOU BEEN TO EVERY SWAC GAME SINCE THE SEASON STARTED, HELL NO.
From what I've heard, Liddell is arrogant, selfish and it's all about him. STOP LISTEN AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. Valley with their high school sized band had way more music and had the crowd singing the theme to the Jeffersons which was tight. OKAY THEY HAVE BEEN PLAYING IT FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN. I HATE IT WHEN SOMEONE ONLY COMES TO ONE GAME EXPECTING TO HEAR 45 SONGS. [/B]IF YOU COULD LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE GAME THEN YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN, THE BOOM PLAYED 4 NEW SONGS AFTER THE GAME (NEW AS IN BRAND NEW). 3 NEW SONGS DURING THE GAME. THIS BEING THE 4TH WEEK OF FOOTBALL I THINK THE BAND KNOWS JUST AS MANY SONGS AS ANYBODY IN THE SWAC. LIKE IT OR NOT. Liddell had these boys/girls playin "Hay in the middle of the barn" and other OLD tunes ONCE AGAIN. AT LEAST 75% OF SWAC BANDS PLAY HEY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BARN. Liddell has even changed Get Ready from what it used to be.....small parts but I DO notice it and so do others. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS BEEN CHANGED ON GET READY IS THE VOLUME AND ITS MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU EVER HEARD. What gives?

Wow, I knew somebody would get upset. :) First of all Mobb, I've been 2 of the 3 games this year and will be at many more. From my post you should be able to figure out that I'm not just talking about this year. Funny how I'm surrounded by a LOT of people in the stands who feel the exact same way....as I said before...a lot of them are former Boom members themselves. So don't lecture me on what games I've been to..it's not just me. I've been a Boom fan since I was 6....that's 29 years if you're scoring at home. I AM listening for myself.....when I mentioned Doc being selfish...etc....this is coming from people who know him personally.....and the former Boom members who were under him. You hate it when someone comes to the game and expects to hear 45 songs? No....I hate it when I come to the game for 4 or 5 years in a row and hear the same music year after year from a band director who obviously doesnt' wanna play other peoples ideas of music and arrangments.(refer to the selfish statement) where have YOU been? Yeah you're right probably.....75% of other bands play "Hay in the middle of the barn"......but guess what.....does that mean we can't add a bigger repetoir of music over the last 4 or 5 years? I like to hear "Hay", but people wanna hear new things as well. I want you to get a old tape of Get Ready and the one played when they marched in saturday....the arrangement may still be the same, but as stated before by another poster....the instrumentation has been changed some what. Overall, yes it's the same.

This is my opinion Mobb....I didn't start this thread to get into a heated debate.....so let's not take it there. I'm just conveying my and other's opinions that have been put out there for quite some time now.

Get Ready was different on the field when they made the JSU. I don't even the pic part to the newer version of Get Ready, but the one they played on the field was similar to the part we had in the early 80's. I heard it with my own ears and it made me take notice. I even mentioned it to my husband. :D

SLT said:
1996mobb,

Well actually dallastiger the boom played almost all new songs this game outside of the usual music all bands play like hay, neck, headbusser etc. which are all crowd favorites in my opinion, They even brought back some past stand tunes like ugly and and hootie hoo. I like that chingy and tyrese stand tune and a bunch of more i cant name, I was really empressed with them this game. This thread has to be for the boom's of previous years because this is the most news songs Ive ever heard the boom play and thats real talk. They played like 5 new stand tunes and they even played four new tunes in the 5th, out of the 6 tunes in the 4th. So how can u say they need more music this year when the book is deep as heyal.

Back to your question the 4 new tunes they played in the fifth were Crazy by cnarles barkley (something like that), Torn (former destiny's child member i forgot old girl name), In MY Mind (Heather Headley), and that old Anita Baker tune i forgot the name of. I hope that helps you to remember what tune was stuck in your head lol, because all of those slow tunes sounded good. This is what makes me question this thread, now I could c if the Boom played all tunes from previous years, but they played all new music this game and in the fifth, so tell me again y they need new music because they have that. Also, in previous years i doubt that they did not have new music, a lot of music just never leaves the bandhall.

There arent many bands that play at least 20 songs in the fifth on their first game (SHC). Most swac schools do the five and out thing not including SU and maybe 2 or 3 more out of the swac. And some swac bands dont even play marches so in my opinion i think new music is always a plus, but saying that the boom played all old music is out of the context because they clearly played at least 5 new stand tunes, about 7 old stand tunes, 4 new ballads in the fifth, along with 3 old school joints. So the boom is on it this year honestly

NastyD said:
Back to your question the 4 new tunes they played in the fifth were Crazy by cnarles barkley (something like that), Torn (former destiny's child member i forgot old girl name), In MY Mind (Heather Headley), and that old Anita Baker tune i forgot the name of. I hope that helps you to remember what tune was stuck in your head lol, because all of those slow tunes sounded good.

I'll ask my nephew if he recognize any of the ones you mentioned...:D

I didn't stay for the 5th, but the song I'm talking about was played after the second half during the game.

They sound real GOOD! :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back