Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2020-2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I haven't noticed the uniforms not matching and seen them a thousand times. Surprised that got passed me.
He talking about a few years right after we got the new uniforms the band was bigger the next year and a few had the old uniform on. That hasn’t happened since about a year after we got the new ones we have now. I’m not sure what he’s talking about as if that happens every year. Maybe he’s talking about percussion.

Good to see that the Southern game has been added to the JSU schedule. Apr 3, 2021 is the date. I knew that a schedule without Southern didn't make much sense. Let's just hope enough has been done to bring the virus under control by the start of 2021 that it will be safe for bands to be able to practice and perform. But who knows... I've seen articles about bands using cloth bell covers for the instruments. The incompetence of 45 messed up so many things.

Cortez “Tez” Bryant, Co-CEO of The Blueprint Group, will teach the ins and outs of the entertainment business Oct. 5 – Nov. 20 at his alma mater, Jackson State University, during a Careers in Music course.

The seven-week program, a hybrid-mix of online and in-person sessions, is described as the study of alternative careers to teaching in the field of music, including current needs, future trends and economic consideration.

A New Orleans native, Bryant was a member of JSU’s Sonic Boom of the South Marching Band. He has always given props to the Boom and former band director, Dr. Lewis Liddell, for offering him a scholarship and instilling principles that he utilizes today. He says those sentiments still ring true.

“One of the reasons my spirit moved me back to Jackson State is that there may be a younger version of me looking for an outlet. There may be the next inner-city kid not having much that can come to Jackson State and find themselves,” he says.

Giving students access to the various layers of his “wheelhouse” could provide missing links to long-lasting and productive careers for future generations, expressly for kids typically lacking resources and opportunities.

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the home going of Shirley Middleton Blakely from complications with Alzheimers. Not only was she notable for being the first Director of the J-Settes but also had the foresight to abandon the batons and switch solely to dance. The JSU band program (J-Settes and Sonic Boom) vow to always uplift her legacy. You will forever remain immortal through your many contributions to our history.
Image may contain: 1 person, standing1600704400236.png
download.jpg
1973 Prancing Jaycettes

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
TIGERS, THIS JUST IN....BREAKING NEWS....BREAKING NEWS
  • The Rickey Smiley Morning show is kicking off its Stomp Wars HBCU-Know "VIRTUAL" Homecoming Experience today, September 26 - 5:00 pm EST / 4:00 PM CST.
  • Check out the promo at the following link:
  • View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyIKEVP3eAQ&t=44s
  • GET Ready to support Jackson State University next Saturday, October 3, 2020, 5:00 pm EST / 4:00 PM CST, when Jackson State University will be one of the featured HBCUs. This would have been our traditional homecoming as well! We need all Tigers to show up for the event like you would show up on the yard!
We know HBCUs Matter and this will be and excellent way to show support for JSU and the HBCU Culture.

Thank you to the Rickey Smiley Morning Show production team for reaching out to JSUNAA and JSU for inclusion in such a wonderful event.

Tigers, check it out today and make sure you show up on October 3, 2020 to represent THEE as only we can!

Come on Tigers, let's Stomp THEE yard, October 3, 2020!

The Sonic Boom will not be what it is without our student leadership. Hear some of our leaders talk about their leadership experience(s) in conjunction with student leadership from Penn State. See the flyer for details.
120315294_4152192148131564_2588648260615411240_n.jpg

Greetings, Tigers!

Today is the Day! JSU Virtual Homecoming via Stompwars.com!

Don't forget to go to Stompwars.com this afternoon, October 3, 2020, 4:00 pm Central/5:00 pm Eastern!

Check out the promo video featuring Jackson State University and the Sonic Boom!

See you this afternoon!​
mail

Jackson State University’s Sonic Boom of the South is partnering with YouTube for “HBCU Homecoming 2020: Meet Me on the Yard.”

The two-hour event will livestream on Saturday, Oct. 24, at 8 p.m., and celebrate the excellence of HBCU culture and traditions, including celebrity guests and a performance by the Sonic Boom.

A collaboration with Jesse Collins Entertainment and Live Nation Urban, the YouTube Original show will raise funds for the United Negro College Fund, which will split proceeds with the Thurgood Marshall College Fund. The homecoming event will also feature Greek step shows, students, alumni and YouTube creators.

“I feel as though we are in a time of monumental movement for HBCUs. Although the way we’ve gotten to this movement (racial injustice) isn’t ideal, it is definitely warranted and past due,” says Dr. Roderick Little, director of bands at JSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back