Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2016-2017)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
But they could at least be at the stadium 1hr and 45 before and sit on the bus
I do agree, dowell Taylor started that arriving right at game time shit. Sometimes the boom is late to visting teams because the boom has to practice at a high schools stadium right before game. Smh

I do agree, dowell Taylor started that arriving right at game time shit. Sometimes the boom is late to visting teams because the boom has to practice at a high schools stadium right before game. Smh

Taylor has always been a flashy guy so THAT is why he brings the band late. Watching the band march in was always one of the highlights of JSU football back in the day and you can't do that marching in two hours early. At the MOST, the band should march in 45 minutes early.

Taylor has always been a flashy guy so THAT is why he brings the band late. Watching the band march in was always one of the highlights of JSU football back in the day and you can't do that marching in two hours early. At the MOST, the band should march in 45 minutes early.
So true.

Liddell is no longer the Band Director, why let those kids sit in the sun for over 2 hours before games just to blow on opposing bands when they enter the stadium, that's beyond crazy!

Opposing bands should march in after the Boom NOT before!

This!

Taylor used to always tell us he never wanted to take away the freshmans experience of marching in in front of a large crowd and thats why he loved to march in right at game time when the bigger crowd is in the stands. He loved a grand entrance. Name one school who's entrance is as hyped as the booms! I'll wait!! But that's the reason! Taylor didn't give a damn about blowing on no band when they came through the gate,he just wanted his band to be seen!

Last edited:
Taylor used to always tell us he never wanted to take away the freshmans experience of marching in in front of a large crowd and thats why he loved to march in right at game time when the bigger crowd is in the stands. He loved a grand entrance. Name one school who's entrance is as hyped as the booms! I'll wait!! But that's the reason! Taylor didn't give a damn about blowing on no band when they came through the gate,he just wanted his band to be seen!
And I've never understood the idiotic practice of "blowing on a band" during their entrance. You have thousands of folks who came to see and hear BOTH bands. When bands play at the same time, it sounds like pure garbage no matter who's the loudest.
It's dumb and makes no sense and it takes away from the fans more than anything.

But being heard is also important! I agree with what Bernard said a few days ago that in essence we should be in charge of the order of the bands that enter Memorial because there is a band from a certain school who shall go unnamed that takes great pleasure in trying to blow on the Boom as we enter our stadium whenever they get the opportunity. In my opinion this decreases the hype of the home crowd a notch or so.

But being heard is also important! I agree with what Bernard said a few days ago that in essence we should be in charge of the order of the bands that enter Memorial because there is a band from a certain school who shall go unnamed that takes great pleasure in trying to blow on the Boom as we enter our stadium whenever they get the opportunity. In my opinion this decreases the hype of the home crowd a notch or so.

I assure you that won't happen again! They were let in first with a verbal agreement from both directors that i won't name that they wouldn't blow on the boom and the rest is history. Won't happen again,trust me!

I will be sending a note to the QUEEN about this. :snicker:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
And I've never understood the idiotic practice of "blowing on a band" during their entrance. You have thousands of folks who came to see and hear BOTH bands. When bands play at the same time, it sounds like pure garbage no matter who's the loudest.
It's dumb and makes no sense and it takes away from the fans more than anything.
Now thats one of my biggest dislikes with any band, when they play at the same time. I marched under Murray and he loves to do that. He did that when JSU played alcorn last year. I was like damn why is he playing at the same time as the boom.

Tell me something I didn't know, if you're always begging, you broke.
smileyslaughing_lol_dielaughing_100-101.gif

Sonic Boom Percussion Camp 2016

We are glad to invite you to attend the Jackson State University “Sonic Boom of the South” percussion section “Mini-Camp” on Friday, July 15th – July 17th at the F.D. Hall Music Center. Attendance at the Mini-Camp is mandatory for all percussion students interested in performing with the marching band, and is scheduled to coincide with orientation for incoming freshmen. The purpose of the Mini Camp is to introduce you to the structure, discipline, techniques and repertoire for the upcoming fall season. During this day you will be placed on instruments within the percussion section to learn warm-up exercises and parts to basic cadences. Only the students who perform at the highest level will be selected for the 2016 band camp, which will begin on Saturday, August 6th, 2016.

http://websites.one.jsums.edu/sonicboom/?p=684

Every summer, the Sonic Boom of The South Percussion Section holds a clinic with The Master's Touch All-Star Drumline. Mr. Calvin Berry, a Jackson State Alum, is the director of this program. He teaches private lessons to students of all ages in LaPlace, Louisiana. The purpose of this clinic is to help develop young percussive minds through discipline, & music.

Clinicians: Ousman Camara, William Bradford, Justin Sherrod, Juan Cloy, Christian Cone, Terrell Rayford, & Jaquarius Lewis.

Back