J-State zeros in on defense

Blacknbengal

J-State zeros in on defense

New coordinator has 15 sessionsto install system

By Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Jackson State will open spring practice today with six returning defensive starters.

Those spots are anything but secure, though, says new JSU defensive coordinator Greg Johnson.

"I told them when I got here every spot was wide open," Johnson said. "It's put up or shut up. Everybody will have an opportunity to show me what they can do."

Johnson, a former head coach at Prairie View, was hired in February to shore up a defense that ranked seventh in the Southwestern Athletic Conference in total defense (347.5 yards per game) and ninth in scoring defense (31.1 points per game).

That task begins in earnest this spring when Johnson hopes to install "75-80 percent" of his defensive system. No question, Johnson and the defensive side of the ball will be a main focus during the 15 practice sessions leading up to the April 26 spring game.

"It's very important to get my system in this spring and carry that over into the fall," he said. "I'm going to try to keep things as close to the same as last year as far as terminology. I want the transition to be a smooth one."

So does JSU coach Robert Hughes.

"I know what Coach Johnson's plans and ideas are and I'm behind him 100 percent," Hughes said. "We were weak on defense, stat-wise, last season so I'm hoping we can improve in that area. And I feel like we will."

Johnson has spent the last several weeks watching JSU game film from this past season in an effort to get to know the existing personnel. he'll get his first up-and-close look today at 3 p.m.

"We'll still run the 46 scheme, kinda like last year," Johnson said. "I'll change some things. We want to force people into things they don't want to do. We'll play the odds; if we need to blitz we will, if we don't we won't.

"The main thing I want to do is change the attitude, that's the biggest change. I want to up the tempo and have my players getting around the football."

The entire defensive front returns as does linebacker Elgin Andrews, who led the SWAC in tackles. Only one starter, cornerback Derrick Watson, returns in the secondary.

"We're young," Johnson said.

Johnson has made two changes before taking the field for his first practice at JSU, moving Andrews from outside to inside linebacker and Bobby Bell from linebacker to defensive end. Also, Reginald Green will switch from offensive to defensive line.

"We plan on moving a lot of people around and looking at them at different positions," Johnson said.

Bell, who played sparingly at linebacker this past season, is excited about the position change and the possibilities under Johnson.

"I just want to play," Bell said. "I'm looking forward to the change, and a lot of the other guys seem pretty fired up, too. It seems like he's (Johnson) got some pretty good schemes. It looks like he's going to be very versatile, and not necessarily show all the same looks. We've just got to adjust to his way of doing things.

I am starting to wonder if we need to spot Billy Jack Hayes, Petey, Dumb Doug, and L(ying) and C(heating) Cole about three TD's this year.

Bobby Bell at DE!! Ya'll in T_O_B_E. This is the type of change that our last DC did not see. With the SWAC's leading tackler in the middle and increased speed on the end, we are about to break some sack records. We have been asking for a change like this for the last two or three years. All we needed was a DC with a LITTLE sense.

Uuuh, just mail us the trophy. (and we have a kicker too!!) Mail us the one for 2003, too. :cool:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Greg Johnson will have the Jackson State defense solid and ready to play every week.

Originally posted by The Panther Fan
Greg Johnson will have the Jackson State defense solid and ready to play every week.

This is one game that I do not look forward to PV playing. :smh:

I KNOW Greg's gonna' stick it to us. Dayum. :smh:

All I know is dumb Doug keep whupping that azz. PV ran his dumb azz off and he's dumb to think he can help ya'll sorry azz defense.

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
Johnson has made two changes before taking the field for his first practice at JSU, moving Andrews from outside to inside linebacker and Bobby Bell from linebacker to defensive end. Also, Reginald Green will switch from offensive to defensive line.

"We plan on moving a lot of people around and looking at them at different positions," Johnson said.

Bell, who played sparingly at linebacker this past season, is excited about the position change and the possibilities under Johnson.

"I just want to play," Bell said. "I'm looking forward to the change, and a lot of the other guys seem pretty fired up, too. It seems like he's (Johnson) got some pretty good schemes. It looks like he's going to be very versatile, and not necessarily show all the same looks. We've just got to adjust to his way of doing things.
Y'all don't realize how many times me, Get Ready and many others have suggested to Hughes and co. last season to move Bobby Bell to DE. Greg Johnson is already showing me that he has basic football knowledge.

GRAM MAN,

Just as Gram's defense was sorry as hell and got better, so too will JSU's.

I cant count on my fingers and toes how many times I have asked Huges to move this kid to DE. But now we have a DC that has a half a damn brain and nbow its on.

I need to go to the smack board....cause now its on. With B Bell at DE, we are going to kill some QBs. Oh yeah, look for this kid along with Kent in the league in a couple of years.

Greg Johnson....I love you

Unknown

Im with you. Tell ya what though. Since the 2002 SWAC football season is over before spring practice starts, how about forming a SWAC Flag Football League? I havent played flag football in a while, but hell, football season is over since JSU got a Defensive Coordinator. And not only did they get a new Defensive Coordinator, but they got one that had enough common sense to move this LB Bell to DE. Damn. I was really hoping for a GSU three-peat.

To every SWAC fan (with the exception of JSU fans), flag football sign-up starts immediately. State your name, desired position and team you wish to play for.

GramFan
Center/Split End
GSU Flag Football Club

We have played Gram with Kelly for a DC and kept you in check. I remember in 2000 before you all cheated to win that Gram did not get a first down until the 2nd quarter. Now we have a DC. Do you really expect to cross the 50?? Johnson has never had talent. Now I feel so sorry for you all. There is no way we can't win the SWAC this year. I will only give two opponents any credit this year and those are USM and possibly TNState. The rest can hang it up. (OK, maybe one upset along the way.) JSU 10-3.

Everyone......let's forfeit the season....JSU has PV's defensive coordinator.

Obviously this kid does not know what Johnson did at PV.

99 percent of the board probably thinks Johnson was fired at PV because of job performance.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by bornthrilla
Can he coach Kent not to throw 5 interceptions every dayum game?

Thrilla, this is a good question. I am hoping that the Kent from 2000 shows up rather than the one in 2001. The main difference is that in 2000, at the first part of the season we were primarily a running team and that helped Kent a lot. Last year, we only ran the ball against Valley, A&T and Alcorn. Our offensive line is deep but young but this time we have two or three lines to work with in the spring and pre-season. That was not the case last year. I think we are going to run the ball more making Kent more lethal. If he gets an extra second to throw the ball, ya'll in trouble.

Our offensive line is deep but young but this time we have two or three lines to work with in the spring and pre-season.

Every school has two or three lines to work with in the spring. You act like that means something. We will have about 12 O-lineman ourselves when the season starts, even after losing the top offensive lineman in black college football to the NFL draft.

The question is how many are those linemen are actually decent and how many are just taking up space.

Bruh,

JSU does not have garbage on our team. And NO, every team does not have 2-3 lines to work with in the spring. This time last year, JSU had FIVE linemen. The strength of our team has always been our balanced attack. We did not become a passing team until the middle of the 2000 season and we were doing fine until we lost most of our starting linemen. Our lines have always been tight. Teams have just been able to benefit these last two years from our shortage and injuries in that area. If you don't have linemen, you don't have a team. We had a sorry o-line last year but we still ran all over A&T on the ground and through the air. Wait until these boys get some experience under their belts. Yep, you in trouble.

BTW, all you have is 12?? I am sure five of those are under 250lbs and weak as water. Ya'll in trouble.

Originally posted by The Panther Fan

Obviously this kid does not know what Johnson did at PV.

99 percent of the board probably thinks Johnson was fired at PV because of job performance.

What the hell did he do? I can't think of a team in the SWAC that more yards, points, and stats were accumulated against than PV. Please enlighten me oh great one. :rolleyes:

lmao he helped PV win its first game in 64 years against some private Baptist school now he is the best coach in America. SMH

Back