"In this college sports rivalry, the bands are instrumental"

A&T Brandmasta

Blue Death Family
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/6970301.htm

In this college sports rivalry, the bands are instrumental
By Monica Anderson
Special to the Star-Telegram

One of the great sports rivalries of all times occurs annually at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. No, I'm not talking about the Texas vs. OU game. I'm referring to the colossal meeting of two HBCU (historically black colleges and universities) titans. Every October, during the State Fair, the Panthers of Prairie View A&M meet the Grambling State Tigers. And oh, what a time!

I'm not a sportswriter, but if I were, I would tell you that every fan who walked into that stadium already knew that Grambling was going to win the game. They pretty much win it every year. The game was so lopsided that the highlight of the first quarter was "the wave." Remember the wave? For reasons unknown, a section of fans abruptly decides to stand up, throw their hands in the air and yell "WOOoooo." Not to be outdone, the folks in the next section do the same thing and so on until you have a wave of bodies circling around the stadium. I always wanted to view that sight from a blimp. I bet it looks like a giant toilet being flushed.

Going into halftime, the score was 24-7 only because of the valiant efforts of Prairie View's defense. However, when the quarterback on the other team weighs 245 pounds and can throw a marble through the center of a Krispy Kreme doughnut from 40 yards, valiant efforts don't mean squat.

Why would anyone pay to see this game? Five words. The battle of the bands. As the game approached its midpoint, the somewhat docile crowd became decidedly animated. When the two teams trotted off toward the locker rooms, a collective sigh of relief was heard. Seats that had been empty for two quarters were suddenly occupied. A big fellow next to me who had been asleep since the opening kickoff woke up and turned on his video camera. Our pulses quickened with each beat from the band, waiting in the end zone like a human Zamboni.

My son tapped me on the shoulder. "Mom, can I have some money to go buy nachos?"

"You can't leave now," I said. "It's halftime."

"I know. That's when I usually go get nachos."

"Son, look around. Do you see anyone moving?"

"No, so the lines will be short."

"Honey, the people in the band are stretching more than the football players did. You do not want to miss this halftime show."

Prairie View came out first. The five drum majors did back bends while the cymbal players did somersaults. The crowd went wild. The band played a couple of the latest hits while some young ladies in gold danced and did the splits, I think. I didn't have my glasses on, but they did the splits or they all collapsed from exhaustion at the same time. At one point, the band members put their instruments on the ground and danced. I got so excited that I jumped up and started shaking my groove thing until my boys pulled me down and reminded me that we were on Grambling's side of the stadium.

It looked like fourth and 20, on the 50-yard line, trailing by 8, with two seconds left for the Grambling band. They had only four drum majors, but they did stuff that would give a chiropractor a heart attack. The band started out with very traditional songs and formations. They made diamonds and spelled GSU. I was about to go get nachos when they started playing a song by Beyonce. The crowd went wild, and I was permitted to dance as long as I didn't yell "WOOooo." I think Grambling went through the entire Billboard Top 10 while they danced and played their instruments. It was a rout. Grambling won the game and the halftime contest.

Seventy percent of the crowd left after halftime. I was with them, so I thank Star-Telegram sportswriter Carlos Mendez for reporting the final score of Grambling's 65-7 victory over Prairie View.

I think you need to know the final score in order to be a good sportswriter.

I'll just have to go back to what I do best. Dancing.

Great article. A couple of minor facts were misreported, and I don't necessarily agree with the author's opinion of the outcome. But then again, everyone won't. Great to see that halftime is still showtime in D-Town...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by A&T Brandmasta
It looked like fourth and 20, on the 50-yard line, trailing by 8, with two seconds left for the Grambling band. They had only four drum majors, but they did stuff that would give a chiropractor a heart attack. The band started out with very traditional songs and formations. They made diamonds and spelled GSU. I was about to go get nachos when they started playing a song by Beyonce. The crowd went wild, and I was permitted to dance as long as I didn't yell "WOOooo." I think Grambling went through the entire Billboard Top 10 while they danced and played their instruments. It was a rout. Grambling won the game and the halftime contest.

Yes, :nod:

Great article indeed!

I guess this will start yet another debate. Hopefully, we can all agree that these two bands are both outstanding in their own way.

That article shows that us fans see things a lot differently than most of you bandsmen do. A helluva lot differently.

Originally posted by Robber
That article shows that us fans see things a lot differently than most of you bandsmen do. A helluva lot differently.
so are you saying by you being a bandsmen like myself, that the fans' account of the half time show was flawed??????/ are you saying that pv (in your eyes) won the halftime?????? i just want to know because i said the same thing.....

Originally posted by SKIP
so are you saying by you being a bandsmen like myself, that the fans' account of the half time show was flawed??????/ are you saying that pv (in your eyes) won the halftime?????? i just want to know because i said the same thing.....
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm not a bandsmen. Don't know how to play a single instrument. I'm just a fan. Football, first. Band second. And when I watch the halftime shows, and then come back and read posts from the bandsmen on this board, I wonder if I was at the same game. Being bandsmen, I figure y'all look for things that I wouldn't begin to know to look for. I just want to be entertained.

Regarding the GSU/PV matchup, I know what most people think of Gram's band. PV is regarded as being good. But the writer of that article liked Gram's band better. I'm sure that shocked a lot of posters. I wasn't there.

Originally posted by s phi s
Great article. A couple of minor facts were misreported, and I don't necessarily agree with the author's opinion of the outcome. But then again, everyone won't. Great to see that halftime is still showtime in D-Town...

What facts were those? A great article indeed.

Originally posted by Robber
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm not a bandsmen. Don't know how to play a single instrument. I'm just a fan. Football, first. Band second. And when I watch the halftime shows, and then come back and read posts from the bandsmen on this board, I wonder if I was at the same game. Being bandsmen, I figure y'all look for things that I wouldn't begin to know to look for. I just want to be entertained.

Regarding the GSU/PV matchup, I know what most people think of Gram's band. PV is regarded as being good. But the writer of that article liked Gram's band better. I'm sure that shocked a lot of posters. I wasn't there.

The ordinary fan for sure sees band battles a lot differently than bandsmen. Most know two things, who "showed out" as far as dancing and who got "blowed out" or was the loudest. I think most bandsmen do take that into account but look at far more things like quality of sound, which most normal fans don't care about as long as it is "their song". Some are not trained enough to know when something really sounds like ****.:D Most fans don't look that far. It's kinda like me trying to critique some paintings or sculptures. I don't know nothing about art. I'll just be trying to pic the prettiest picture.:)

Originally posted by s phi s
Read the article, watch your tape, and you tell me.

By Monica Anderson

One of the great sports rivalries of all times occurs annually at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. No, I'm not talking about the Texas vs. OU game. I'm referring to the colossal meeting of two HBCU (historically black colleges and universities) titans. Every October, during the State Fair, the Panthers of Prairie View A&M meet the Grambling State Tigers. And oh, what a time!

False: GSU/pv is not a great sports rivarly

I'm not a sportswriter, but if I were, I would tell you that every fan who walked into that stadium already knew that Grambling was going to win the game. They pretty much win it every year. The game was so lopsided that the highlight of the first quarter was "the wave." Remember the wave? For reasons unknown, a section of fans abruptly decides to stand up, throw their hands in the air and yell "WOOoooo." Not to be outdone, the folks in the next section do the same thing and so on until you have a wave of bodies circling around the stadium. I always wanted to view that sight from a blimp. I bet it looks like a giant toilet being flushed.
Nothing false in this section

Going into halftime, the score was 24-7 only because of the valiant efforts of Prairie View's defense. However, when the quarterback on the other team weighs 245 pounds and can throw a marble through the center of a Krispy Kreme doughnut from 40 yards, valiant efforts don't mean squat.

Nothing Flase in this section

Why would anyone pay to see this game? Five words. The battle of the bands. As the game approached its midpoint, the somewhat docile crowd became decidedly animated. When the two teams trotted off toward the locker rooms, a collective sigh of relief was heard. Seats that had been empty for two quarters were suddenly occupied. A big fellow next to me who had been asleep since the opening kickoff woke up and turned on his video camera. Our pulses quickened with each beat from the band, waiting in the end zone like a human Zamboni.

My son tapped me on the shoulder. "Mom, can I have some money to go buy nachos?"

"Honey, the people in the band are stretching more than the football players did. You do not want to miss this halftime show."

Nothing false

Prairie View came out first. The five drum majors did back bends while the cymbal players did somersaults. The crowd went wild. The band played a couple of the latest hits while some young ladies in gold danced and did the splits, I think. I didn't have my glasses on, but they did the splits or they all collapsed from exhaustion at the same time. At one point, the band members put their instruments on the ground and danced. I got so excited that I jumped up and started shaking my groove thing until my boys pulled me down and reminded me that we were on Grambling's side of the stadium.

Nothing false

Nothing false.

Seventy percent of the crowd left after halftime. I was with them, so I thank Star-Telegram sportswriter Carlos Mendez for reporting the final score of Grambling's 65-7 victory over Prairie View.

One false statement in the entire story. Yeah I see you point. This article was about what he saw/felt/experienced. :rolleyes:

Dayum boy, do you follow me around the band board??? Dayum...There were some minor false statements in the story. Nothing to discredit the article at all. The person liked Grambling better. Do you want a friggin cookie??????

And you STILL missed the inaccurate statement in the article.
Just stick to filming bands and leave me the phugg alone.

:lmao: who are you...sensative arse. :lmao: You can always take your arse ova dere!!!! Everytime someone doesn't agree with ya'll youngin's you get all defensive and want to call names. I guess that is how you were raised.

I simply asked what were the statements that you found to in wrong. How did that simple question warrant this response:

Dayum boy, do you follow me around the band board??? Dayum...There were some minor false statements in the story. Nothing to discredit the article at all. The person liked Grambling better. Do you want a friggin cookie??????

And you STILL missed the inaccurate statement in the article.
Just stick to filming bands and leave me the phugg alone.
crab.gif

Ain't nobody sensitive about nothing you af all people post. You got that response because every time I mention Grambling even in passing through a post, you have something to say about it. And 9 times out of 10, you act like a sheep and go back and erase what it is you say.

The author of the article liked Grambling. That's his/her opinion. I stated that I didn't quite agree, like I have the right to. But nevertheless, that was that person's opinion, and I respect that. There were a couple of MINOR (let's use our keywords here) discrepencies with the facts reported by the author, but they did not have any bearing on anything, so I didn't even mention them.

Like I stated the 1st time.....Great article, and it's good to see that halftime is still showtime in D-Town.

I don't give a isht whether you or anyone else agrees with what I say. I don't need an amen corner to back up my opinion.

Originally posted by jaydog
The ordinary fan for sure sees band battles a lot differently than bandsmen. Most know two things, who "showed out" as far as dancing and who got "blowed out" or was the loudest. I think most bandsmen do take that into account but look at far more things like quality of sound, which most normal fans don't care about as long as it is "their song". Some are not trained enough to know when something really sounds like ****.:D Most fans don't look that far. It's kinda like me trying to critique some paintings or sculptures. I don't know nothing about art. I'll just be trying to pic the prettiest picture.:)
true true, fans only want to be entertained bottom line. but true bandsmen, eventhough we don't admit it, are waiting for the opposing band to splat or fluff a note or miss a beat, that is our nature, but when a band hits a song and they don't miss, we tend to appreciate that too, that is the nature of the game....yep i said we all have a little hate in us eventhough we may have friends, or frat, or family in the other band it's business first and love second........;)

I think it goes without saying that bandsmen and the average fan look at bands totally different. If a computer salesman is buying himself a computer, he knows what he wants and likes in it. The average Joe just wants to get on the internet. Bands are no different. Like Skip said, bandsmen are waiting for the other band to splat or sound bad. They look for things in bands that the average Joe wouldn't even think about. No harm in that. The average Joe Fan just wants to be entertained (which can take on SEVERAL different meanings, dependant on the individual in question). One band will not entertain everybody.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
By Monica Anderson

False: GSU/pv is not a great sports rivarly

Nothing false in this section

Nothing Flase in this section

Nothing false

Nothing false

Nothing false.

One false statement in the entire story. Yeah I see you point. This article was about what he saw/felt/experienced. :rolleyes:
dam son you are long winded, the false staement was that gram won the game and halftime, that's bullisht, although it was a great battle at halftime, maybe the best that i have seen since the late 80's, but gram didnot win halftime and that is a fact!!!!!!!!! :redhot: :redhot:

dam son you are long winded, the false staement was that gram won the game and halftime, that's bullisht, although it was a great battle at halftime, maybe the best that i have seen since the late 80's, but gram didnot win halftime and that is a fact!!!!!!!!! :redhot: :redhot:
Didn't s phi s just say that one band can't satisfy everyone?
Haven't I been saying that we as a people are not alike?
When it comes to a sandwich,....some people prefer mayo while some prefer mustard or sandwich spread.
This same principle applies here!!!!
This article was the viewpoint of a fan from a consumer standpoint and she liked Grambling better. We have a responsibility to entertain the fans (give the people what they want) without compromising musical integrity.
I'm not taking anything away from P.V. because I like them and I'm personally a fan. I found Grambling's band stimulating and entertaining for me. Some say that P.V. won. Some say Grambling won so why can't we agree on the fact that both bands present a good show based on their own unique style???????

Obviously they did according to the author of the article. That is the point people were trying to make. In "his/her opinion" Grambling was better. Now you want to argue with a person because of his opinion. You sound like that sis phi sis character.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by COACH
Obviously they did according to the author of the article. That is the point people were trying to make. In "his/her opinion" Grambling was better. Now you want to argue with a person because of his opinion. You sound like that sis phi sis character.:rolleyes:
by the way that you are rolling your eyes, i think you are the sissy. the author of that article was a sports writer not a bandsmen, although a fan, he is still a laymen. but you on the other hand need to atlease attend a game before you make assumptions. it's one thing i hate is a fly by night commentator that takes his cues from other cats that are bias and have tunnel vision. do me a favor and go to a game and form your own opinion and quit looking at just the tapes. tapes are good for your archives only not for assumptions. remember, when you assume you make and azz out of you and ume..................:redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: and lets not call people out of their names ok trick.

excuses excuses excuses !!!!

Are we starting to use tape as a non valid conclusion of one's performance now???? :shame:

Re: excuses excuses excuses !!!!

Originally posted by Legend35
Are we starting to use tape as a non valid conclusion of one's performance now???? :shame:
tapes are for entertainment purposes only. most tapes don't actually give true sound and if you are the bandsmen that you say you are, you know this as fact. that's like saying the astrodome or reliant stadium is accustically good for bands to be in:confused: :( :( so leave the comfort of your recliner sometimes and indulge yourself.

you don't like bands anyway so i am pushing the mute button on you.....:eek2: :eek2:

Re: Re: excuses excuses excuses !!!!

tapes are for entertainment purposes only. most tapes don't actually give true sound and if you are the bandsmen that you say you are, you know this as fact. that's like saying the astrodome or reliant stadium is accustically good for bands to be in:confused: :( :( so leave the comfort of your recliner sometimes and indulge yourself.
Well,.....I got to agree with you to a point.

Re: Re: Re: excuses excuses excuses !!!!

Originally posted by Legend35
Well,.....I got to agree with you to a point.
my my my, i must say that i am impressed maybe we can be cordial to each other

:rolleyes:

I don't argue over opinions. I have stated THOUSANDS of times that EVERYONE LOOKS FOR DIFFERENT THINGS IN BAND. You are the ones trying to jump down my back for MY OPINION!!!! Hypocrites and Sheep!!!!!

Like I stated in my FIRST post on this thread, I don't necessarily fully agree with the author's opinion, but it's their opinion. For every person that says they liked Grambling, I could find one that said they liked PV. Big freaking deal. All I said was that a couple of FACTS from the article were slightly incorrect, and that they had nothing to do with the author's opinion in the article.

Can you all read???? Coach, you must be buddies with Mach.....:rolleyes:

Back