IHL names preferred candidate for president opening at Jackson State

That's the caveat in all of this. Sure we know IHL doesn't have any of our best interests in heart but they didn't just choose him. He applied for the job (which is my sore spot about this. You just hired the women's basketball coach (among other positions) with another homeboy hookup and then days later you announce your're gone.

He stabilized Valley (something that JSU folks NEED (stabilization) so I don't now why they're all on social media crying about this selection) and got enrollment up but JSU folks will have to keep him in line as far as athletics is concerned because he made it an afterthought at Valley (the new Gym was because of a previous administration not Bynum)

We agree for ONCE (write it down).

Yes, we need stabilization. Three years ago, we were unquestionably the top HBCU in the nation with the QUEEN making advancements all over the place. But we didn't have the money to keep up with the advancement. Hopefully, we can find an extra $5-10M a year that we need to properly operate. If IHL had found a way to get her the money we need, she would still be there and there never would have been any controversy.

We gonna rake his ass over athletics. You know that...

I don't understand Mr. Charlie (IHL). I know everyone wants to advance, why would you select a President form another university in the state? MVSU is financially sound and stable, give Bynum a raise that's closer to JSU's President's salary and let him remain at MVSU. Why do another President's search and destabilize MVSU?

JSU is on a different level than Valley. We are a minority research institution. Very different to run and comes with more prestige...

I remember seeing an article where he stated that he had removed his name for consideration.

When you have inside info, you not going to get the job, that is what you typically do. He wasn't going to get it at first, per my understanding.

If Bynum had any decency, he would withdraw his name from consideration. Bynum is going to divide JSU like Trump has divided the USA.
sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Last edited:
If Bynum had any decency, he would withdraw his name from consideration. Bynum is going to divide JSU like Trump has divided the USA.
sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Been there with former presidents at GSU....it's not a good feeling. It's GSU Alumni who were life long friends and fell out over a president. Now the president(s) are gone and these friends still mad at one another arguing about who the best president was or should have been. some not even speaking. At the end it hurt GSU.

They chose Bynum anyhow, regardless of the backlash him and IHL received from students, alumni, etc. He is now our President.

Bynum appears to be a little thuggish, temperamental, combative and a religious fanatic. The IHL selected a jackazz without a stable to be JSU's next President. Y'all pray for the mane.
sch_christianpray3.gif
I thought I was the only one who said he's a bit thuggish.

IHL justified Bynum's hiring at JSU because of enrollment and grant increases at MVSU. What has Bynum done academically at MVSU, MVSU hasn't been ranked as one of the best HBCU's since Bynum been there?

IHL justified Bynum's hiring at JSU because of enrollment and grant increases at MVSU. What has Bynum done academically at MVSU, MVSU hasn't been ranked as one of the best HBCU's since Bynum been there?

Did anyone from a "ranked" HBCU apply? Wasn't Bynum at "ranked" Morehouse and CAU before going to MVSU?

I hope JSU folks realize that the first rounds of cuts are not of Dr. Bynum's doing. The first rounds of cuts to reverse the university's finances and to replenish its cash reserves are being executed Dr. Paige. In order to be fair, Bynum should be evaluated on the next steps taken to get the university back to financial stability. Sometimes things get convoluted during the process of changing leadership and people get blame for stuff that they did not do. Although she might have had a vision to grow the university, IMO I still believe Da Queen should be held accountable for not being able to balance the university's finances. Instead of rapidly growing the university, she should have held back a little in order for certain programs to financially catch up.

Last edited:
Bynum is going to be okay. He wasn't a bad choice. He just wasn't an exciting choice. I don't think he will allow a sexual predator to roam our campus like the last admin.

Bynum is going to be okay. He wasn't a bad choice. He just wasn't an exciting choice. I don't think he will allow a sexual predator to roam our campus like the last admin.

I hope so for JSU's sake. I know he's a BRUH, but he does sound like a preacher.

Bynum hasn't learned to separate church from state. Who wants to hear him constantly talk about God? In five years, Valley was lethargic under Bynum. Compared to Mason and Meyers, Bynum has no class and is dark complexioned; I guess that's the reasons JSU alumni are exasperated with Bynum's selection?

Last edited:
Bynum hasn't leaned to separate church from state. Who wants to hear him constantly talk about God? In five years, Valley was lethargic under Bynum. Compared to Mason and Meyers, Bynum has no class and is dark complexioned; I guess that's the reasons JSU alumni are exasperated with Bynum's selection?
Wow.

Some Mississippi Valley State alumni oppose William Bynum to be university's next president
By The Associated Press
on October 07, 2013 at 8:52 PM, updated October 07, 2013 at 8:54 PM

JACKSON, Mississippi -- Some Mississippi Valley State University alumni are complaining about the nomination of William Bynum to be the university's next president.

Roosevelt Yarbrough, president of Valley's alumni association, said at a news conference he wants the school to be led by an alumnus, and says he's worried that Bynum doesn't have any experience working for public universities.

"Nobody's going to convince me we don't have qualified Valley grads out there who can lead the university in the way it needs to go," Yarbrough said Friday.

College Board officials announced Bynum was their sole finalist last week. On Tuesday, he's supposed to meet in Itta Bena with university groups, with trustees then voting on naming him.

Bynum was vice president of enrollment and student services at Morehouse College, but took a leave of absence from the historically black all-male college after a new president took over. Bynum says the friendly split came because the new president had different plans for the institution.

"It wasn't a good fit," Bynum said. "It happens all the time in higher education. You get a new president with a new vision."

Bynum said that Morehouse's new president, John Wilson, is supporting his bid to become president of Valley.

Morehouse did not respond to a request for comment Monday.

Yarborough said he's concerned that Bynum is coming from a private college. But Bynum said he worked for nine years at Lincoln University, a state-aided college in southeast Pennsylvania. He said that Valley supporters shouldn't be scared off by the fact that he attended Davidson College and Duke University, both selective schools in North Carolina.

"They have no idea that my background is quite different from the majority of people who attended those institutions," he said.

Alumni complained that Bynum had said Thursday when he was announced that he had consulted with other people about joining him at Valley. Bynum, though, said his first mission would be to listen to the university's students, faculty and supporters.

"I want to listen," he said. "I'm not coming in with any preconceived notions."

Yarborough complained that because the College Board won't say who the other candidates are, it makes it hard to judge whether Bynum was the best choice. Board members named Donna Oliver president in 2008, rejecting a group of that was pushing longtime veteran Valley administrator Roy Hudson. Oliver's contract was not renewed last year.

Valley is struggling with falling enrollment, and some of its buildings are in bad shape. One dormitory had to be closed recently after the bricks fell off it. Some alumni fear that the College Board is trying to neglect Valley to death, saying it's a stealth version of the proposal that Haley Barbour floated to merge Mississippi's three historically black colleges. That plan went nowhere in the Legislature.

"Are we in a mode where we're trying to close the university or are we in a mode where we're trying to enhance the university?" Yarborough asked.

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2013/10/some_mississippi_valley_state.html

You saw that too huh. Even if it was a fake document, the Willie Lynch document is alive and well, which is one of the main reasons why a lot of our universities are financially struggling.

Last edited:
You saw that too huh. Even if it was a fake document, the Willie Lynch document is alive and well, which is one of the main reasons why a lot of our universities are financially struggling.
Bruh, I was pro Dr. Minor in this search from beginning. He was my colleague and I think he would do a great job. However, I find it crazy that black people would try to belittle another black man and question his credentials and intelligence because he was not their choice. Bynum was not my choice but I aint about drag the man through the mud.

Back