Ice Hockey at Tennessee State?

There are a lot of schools with hockey in the south, but they don’t compete for the NCAA ice hockey championship. They’re more of a club level. UGA, GA Tech, UF have some. There are some small schools with a club team but I don’t know them off the top of my head.
Oh. Ok. Well, all the best to them.

But you got people on here hellbent on trying to get these people to come to the SWAC when the admin (not most of the alums) think they are above the SWAC

If Hockey didn’t survive at UAH (and Huntsville was called the Hockey Capital of the South)…. No way in ell it will survive at Tennessee State. UAH was winning national championships in hockey. There aren’t any conferences in the South… So they joined a conference that had them playing teams in Michigan. If it stays at the club level they may be ok.
I think the difference for Tennessee State is that the school is backed by the NHL, College Hockey Inc., and the Nashville Predators. There is at least some investment there in making this effort work in the long run.

There are a lot of schools with hockey in the south, but they don’t compete for the NCAA ice hockey championship. They’re more of a club level. UGA, GA Tech, UF have some. There are some small schools with a club team but I don’t know them off the top of my head.
Yea on the club level there are a lot…NCAA level they will struggle… it’s not too many teams and zero conferences down south… UAH found that out the hard way and they had support and National Championships.

I think the difference for Tennessee State is that the school is backed by the NHL, College Hockey Inc., and the Nashville Predators. There is at least some investment there in making this effort work in the long run.

Where you get all this "backing" from?

So who are they gonna play? Are there any schools in the immediate area who have hockey teams?

I still say Tennessee State should use that money to upgrade their track and field facility so that Coach Chandra Cheeseborough-Guice can get Tennessee State competitive again. But, its their money, so........
They will more than likely play all of the other teams across the region that have non-scholarship club hockey teams. Some of those teams include
Auburn , Florida, Floria Tech, Alabama, Middle Tennessee, Alabama-Huntsville. A full list of the teams in the league that they'll probably join initially is listed below:

The Regional championship have been held here in Huntsville the past few years

They will more than likely play all of the other teams across the region that have non-scholarship club hockey teams. Some of those teams include
Auburn , Florida, Floria Tech, Alabama, Middle Tennessee, Alabama-Huntsville. A full list of the teams in the league that they'll probably join initially is listed below:

The Regional championship have been held here in Huntsville the pa
st few years
Oh wow! So UAH went to the club level? I thought they dismantled the team all together. Good to know that they're still playing.

Oh wow! So UAH went to the club level? I thought they dismantled the team all together. Good to know that they're still playing.

Yes, UAH went down to the club level. They raised enough money to keep the program going but none of the major D1 Hockey conferences wanted to keep them in their league. So without a conference home, they decided to drop down to Club Level

Looks to be a club team so is the school paying it?

They might be the most ghetto hockey team ever. Out there with used roller skates and pool table sticks. :(

(...and dont none of you use that line. I will probably re-cycle it for facebook or twitter tomorrow)
😅🤣😂😂

Is this a effort to further integrate the university........... misguided and sad!

I'm not going to call it misguided or sad, but the school made its intentions pretty clear in the first paragraph of the press release.

"Tennessee State University is set to make history by becoming the first historically black college or university (HBCU) to offer men's ice hockey at the collegiate level. TSU will make this groundbreaking announcement at Bridgestone Arena prior to the 2023 NHL Draft on Wednesday, June 28, 2023. The addition of ice hockey highlights the University's dedication to fostering diversity, inclusion, and expanding athletic opportunities for students."

That’s what I’m thinking. Most likely hire a white coach who will recruit white and foreign players
According to reports coming out of the NHL that is not what the league wants. From my understanding the league wants more blacks in the league and thus they hope by having the sport at an HBCU would help get more black people into the sport as fans and players. The article I read about 2 to 3 years ago the guy talked about the athletic ability of black people across of other sports and how bring that talenet pool will help the NHL and their minor leagues.

I love it as well! I'll be the first to buy their jersey, but then again, I've loved hockey since 1992. I wish SWAC schools would be willing to try something different like this. I have nothing against gymnastics or any other sport, but there is NOTHING like LIVE hockey. I hear Baton Rouge is getting a minor league hockey team back after 15 years. It is an expensive sport, but we all spend money on whatever we like. It's not like baseball or soccer is funding any of our coffers. However, every school must make that decision for themselves.
I would like to see the SWAC get into gymnastics before hockey.

Probably Afro-Canadians and Afro-Americans from the North that heard about HBCUs and want experience one for themselves.
PK Subban, an Afro-Canadian who played for the Nashville Predators, was apparently a big part of the push to support hockey at Tennessee State.

Don't get me wrong I like this for them but why was it so important to have hockey and not bring back baseball?
Eddie George was recently tied to an effort to bring a pro baseball stadium to be built at Tennessee State’s campus. But, nothing about the school vying for a college baseball team.

just look at their athletic staff directory and you tell me if hbcu experience is what they want - it's a school which allows folks to live in Nashville looking to work D-1

Their the cousin to that's related to you but ain't going to go out their way to say your family unless you make them to

Dr. Glover please stop the lies. At the press conference talking about other HBCU presidents calling you about starting a hockey team. Chile please! Ninety percent of all FCS schools just trying to stay afloat in all sports let alone adding some hockey that will not get more folks than the average soccer game at the fcs level

Dr. Glover please stop the lies. At the press conference talking about other HBCU presidents calling you about starting a hockey team. Chile please! Ninety percent of all FCS schools just trying to stay afloat in all sports let alone adding some hockey that will not get more folks than the average soccer game at the fcs level
Lol - she's a socialite who uses sports to rub elbows with the elite of Nashville - Eddie George was a spur of the moment hire once Deion was announced

This announcement looks like since the nhl is out there let's think of a spur of the moment decision 😂 only thing black folks care about is the jersey 😂

CEE, that is the EXACT same thing I thought. Isn't ice hockey an expensive sport?

Back