Ice Hockey at Tennessee State?

TexasTerror

This could happen. Ice hockey at Tennessee State

Tennessee State University leaders are looking into starting an NCAA Division I ice hockey program, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

The school will reportedly announce soon announce plans to conduct a feasibility study with the goal of determining the viability of starting a hockey program at TSU as well as how much fundraising would need to be done. If officials push on from there, TSU's would be the first Division I hockey team in the history of the country's Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

nooooo... bring baseball back. Ive seen a national championship hockey team here STRUGGLE (UAH) because of lack of teams in the South and conference affiliation. There are no teams in the south with hockey... so they travel to Minnesota a lot.

I think it helps that TSU is in a city where its NHL franchise gets a lot of support from the public.

Wait they don't have a baseball team but want Hockey?

Come On Man GIF by memecandy

Very cool - this could be an opportunity to bring more minorities into the sport and hopefully the Nashville Predators will provide guidance to get the program off the ground.
Well @Olde Hornet , looks like we are the minority in our opinions. It's cool though. I really hope TSU succeeds. BTW, here is a little history for anyone that cares--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_players_in_ice_hockey <--- the original link I posted is no longer available so I updated with similar info on 7/5/23

Last edited:
like hockey in the South - it'll start off with a buzz - then fade off into the sunset and then deem too costly

the predators association will be shortlived

Yes it would be cool. But, where would Tennessee State, get the minority recruits from? If I am not mistaken hockey is a sport that needs to be started at a very early age.
Probably Afro-Canadians and Afro-Americans from the North that heard about HBCUs and want experience one for themselves.

Waste of money and time.

Isn’t hockey more expensive than baseball anyway?

Way more expensive.

I said it makes sense with a NHL team in the same city but then reminded that they dont have a baseball or soccer team so I am in the majority that says that this is a waste of money.

This also screams of "we wants no part of the SWAC" part time HBCU stuff

Back