Ice Hockey at Tennessee State?

PK Subban, an Afro-Canadian who played for the Nashville Predators, was apparently a big part of the push to support hockey at Tennessee State.
Dude was a beast. I remember thinking when I first saw him "I didn't know David Banner played hockey." 😄

This isnt going to work…if hockey at UAH didnt work (and they have national championships and a big following)… aint no way its going to work at Tenn State.

The question is, will people show up. If they can manage to get people to show up they'll be aight.
Even then I dont see it working… UAH averaged more folks at hockey games than SWAC schools average at basketball games. It’s TOUCH scheduling when you are hockey team in the South.

Even then I dont see it working… UAH averaged more folks at hockey games than SWAC schools average at basketball games. It’s TOUCH scheduling when you are hockey team in the South.
I think two factors could help TSU:

First, they would have a program in a city with professional hockey (Nashville Predators) that already has built-in support for the sport (Nashville has the sixth-highest attendance in the NHL).

Also, the NHL, Predators, and College Hockey Inc. have supported efforts to make hockey happen at Tennessee State.

I think two factors could help TSU:

First, they would have a program in a city with professional hockey (Nashville Predators) that already has built-in support for the sport (Nashville has the sixth-highest attendance in the NHL).

Also, the NHL, Predators, and College Hockey Inc. have supported efforts to make hockey happen at Tennessee State.

Everything that @DAHILL is saying is correct especially when it comes to UAH. Tennessee State will begin playing non=scholarship "club hockey" first against some regional foes. The transition between Club hockey to full fledged Varsity hockey on the college level will be key. Primarily because that's when you really start spending money on the following:
- scholarships
- Travel & lodging
- Coaching salaries

By them starting out as a club sport that will give them time to see if the interest is there and/or to build interest\support, as there is no type of agreement that says they have to make it a varsity sport.

I go to hockey games all the time. Here in Huntsville and in Nashville. I never see more than a handful of black people at them. Good luck trying to get these young black kids today to support it. They will not come to games on campus for football or basketball. So hockey is going to have to be very creative.

TSU is trying a bit too hard. I'd even understand more HBCU'S adding mens Soccer considering it's a very inexpensive sport with lucrative leagues around the world for potential recruits.

I love hockey. If I were graduating in this era I’d go there & play. It will be rough in the first years but hopefully more of our kids will become interested in the sport.

Back