I tried to told'ja that Dallas is stuck in the pre-60s...

I have no idea why this is a story now, but if you don't see a problem with the fact that a government bldg has a whites only sign in 2003 then you're right there are some serious "issues" here.

Just because this is in the paper doesn't mean that this is all that this guy or organization is about.
I'm sure if I looked, I can find and paste article where the president is talking about his dogs, what he watches on television, what he likes to eat, all sorts of things. Does that mean that he's not concerned that the country is about to go to war? not concerned about problems and other "important issues"?
:snicker:

The point being, it's shortsighted to simply knock this guy in Dallas because this article appeared now and just say he needs to be concerned about other issues.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE

I guess I'll deliver a message to Bin Lauden to put that building on the list :rolleyes: just for the sign.

Smart move...... We got an email from our Corporate Security team warning about possible Federal Internet and Email monitoring, focusing on certain 'key words or phrases'. So your mispelling of his name may be a way to thwart the 'man'....:dude:

:D

I'm not instigating now Nupe. This city has real problems. I swore the year was 1932 when I moved here in 1991. I didn't know Dallas was this ass backwards. :shame:

I'm also part of the problem because I never adopted this place as "home."

We worrying about a dayum sign and people are starving in Dallas.
We're also playing around on the internet and people are starving in Dallas.

We're doing a whole lotta things and people are starving in Dallas.

So, let's not ride the moral authority high horse just when it suits our purpose.

Originally posted by Panthro
I'm not instigating now Nupe. This city has real problems. I swore the year was 1932 when I moved here in 1991. I didn't know Dallas was this ass backwards. :shame:

What people don't realize is, there are a million more signs like that. The walls have just been covered. My thing is what's the big deal, the signs were is most of the buildings in the south, they've just been covered.

Originally posted by mighty hornet

We're also playing around on the internet and people are starving in Dallas.

We're doing a whole lotta things and people are starving in Dallas.

So, let's not ride the moral authority high horse just when it suits our purpose.

So Mighty Hornet, how would you solve the problems. Spend more tax payers money to redo the wall. Or give money to homeless shelters?

A'ight, that's good point, Mitey Bee....

I'll get off my horse just as soon as they make Ft. Worth Avenue is nice and smooth as Inwood (north of 635), or Coit Rd. or any other major North Dallas street.

That, and when they put the 'whores' back out on Harry Hines.....:D It's plain boring to ride down that 'stroll' nowadays.....No scenery.....
:D

:dude:

So Mighty Hornet, how would you solve the problems. Spend more tax payers money to redo the wall. Or give money to homeless shelters?
What a loaded question!!!!

And again, let me go back and read the part where it was suggested that anybody make that decision.

Man can you people stay on topic. This is why sometimes I hate talking political theory.

I am not on that moral high horse as Mighty said. I am talking about the one issue. The sign that reads whites only. I never said that the Dallas SCLC doesn't do other things. But on this one issue, why all the fuss. The sign was there, okay, remove the sign. All other practices that are cost effective have been tried, right? Okay, well we will cover the sign.......problem should be solved right? No, SCLC dude says "It may be covered, but we know what is behind the sign!" WTF is that man. Hell a white dude just gave me a shocked look when I came out of my office, he didn't expect to see my black arse. But what was I supposed to do since I knew what he was thinking behind that look he gave me.

Now can we stick to the issue. I am not one who is always trying to save the world and save all the starving people etc. Truth be told, some people need to die. There are too many people on earth as it is, and we need to stop trying to save everyone. Animals in nature starve. It is the way the ecosystem corrects its problems. So let nature do its job.

Now stick to the sign, MH and Panthro..........

Originally posted by Suge

"It may be covered, but we know what is behind the sign!" WTF is that man. Hell a white dude just gave me a shocked look when I came out of my office, he didn't expect to see my black arse. But what was I supposed to do since I knew what he was thinking behind that look he gave me.

I agree..."L" is that's the case we need to shut down every white school in the south if they are going to utilized the comparrison of "We knoe what used to be there."

Now that's some dumb $hit.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Exactly! My point is, the signs were covered, and THAT wasn't enough. They'll sand the marble down (or however they fix that problem), and then someone will come crying "it may be sanded down, but it was on THAT wall, and we want THAT wall removed!"

Some futhamuckas won't be satisfied till the damned buildings come down.

There are areas of Dallas County (and Tarrant, which is where this whole mess began) that need our dollars WAY WORSE than trying to placate some assholes who don't have anything better to do than ***** about something that could have been corrected WAY before 2003.

Common logic, send help!

Originally posted by Vinita
Exactly! My point is, the signs were covered, and THAT wasn't enough. They'll sand the marble down (or however they fix that problem), and then someone will come crying "it may be sanded down, but it was on THAT wall, and we want THAT wall removed!"

Some futhamuckas won't be satisfied till the damned buildings come down.

There are areas of Dallas County (and Tarrant, which is where this whole mess began) that need our dollars WAY WORSE than trying to placate some assholes who don't have anything better to do than ***** about something that could have been corrected WAY before 2003.

Common logic, send help!

I co-sign

I think this is over reacting to a very unpleasant part of the past. It would be different if the sign was left in place for all to see, but it appears that all reasonable measures have been taken to cover it. Until this issue was brought to the light, I would imagine that most people went to the fountain for water only and was never curious as to what was behind the brass plate any more than what's behind a picture on a wall.

We have major issues that need to be addressed and corrected, but when anyone gets a reputation for constant complaining about any and everything, folks tend to stop listening, causing valid concerns often gets dismissed as whining.

Originally posted by LMBH

but when anyone gets a reputation for constant complaining about any and everything, folks tend to stop listening, causing valid concerns often gets dismissed as whining.

Kwesi Mfume please listen.

My thoughts

Personally I hope the sign stays up forever. It is a constant reminder of how whites have always thought of us, how they think of us now, and how they'll always think about us. You have a White Only sign. The only thing they did was put a metal sheet over it...or throw up a smoke screen. The same tactics are being applied today. They don't want to hire us...so to keep us from tripping, Affirmative Action is created. That is just a smoke screen since the Supreme Court is trying to do away with it in the first place.

I don't care if you marble the wall down...you still can't change the fact that white people didn't want black people drinking there. What are you going to do next...tear the building down? Destroy all of the pictures and records?

I feel black people should be less worried about trying to be accepted by the man and try creating opportunities for ourselves. I may put up a Blacks Only sign in my house. So what. That's how I feel about them. That's how they feel about us. Despite all of the dreams that were made and the obstacles that we have overcome, by no means necessary was that sign eliminated from our minds.

NN

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

I co-sign the co-sgin....

We (as blacks) have to be smarter (than we sometiomes are) when we 'pick' fights...... The sign is not worth an argument, moreless a newspaper article. We have much more pressing issues facing us.

:shame:

Adding my signature, along with my thought that this is a part of history. If we forget about it, well...

At the same time, there are battles worth fighting and others not. WE CAN USE ANY FUGGING WATERFOUNTAIN IN TOWN. That means that THIS BATTLE HAS ALREADY BEEN WON.

Some people are just hanging out with the ravens and other carrion eaters because they are either too weak or too craven to deal with a real-live problem.

Ok.

The sign needs to come down. Sand it down again. If that is not economicly reasonable, then cover the sign... is the entire wall one solid block of marble? If not, remove that slab and put a statue or something .

At the same time, I don't think too much time should be spent on this. It is important, but not enough to wage war over it.

Back from the meeting and even though "we're still bout to go to war, you folks are still discussing the fact that this guy had an opinion about that sign.

Shouldn't yall ONLY be talking about the fact that "we're about to go to war"

:smh:

In Hempstead, TX, which is five miles west of Prairie View, there was a colored sign above a side entrance of a restaurant. The entrance had been filled in with bricks but the sign was still somewhat visible. Someone tried to remove the sign, but it was still visible. Anyway, I took a picture of it about six years ago after seeing it on a friend?s web site. Last month I drove by the place, and someone painted over it. I took the picture as a reminder of how things were.

According to the article that was posted, people buffed over it and eventually covered it. Marble is a tough material. Living in Georgia I have seen enough unpolished marble to last a lifetime.

Now, would I lead a protest just over that sign? I very seriously doubt it. But I sure would not mind seeing that sign replaced. Frankly, I would like to see it go.

As for the issues we have to face, Black people have to attack a number of issues. Frankly, we have to attack more issues than most other people. Yes, we are about to go to war. But a lot of people, regardless of ethnicity, are losing their jobs. (It is hitting us the hardest.) Many corporate leaders are being accused of stealing. Affirmative action programs are being attacked. Election reform is still an issue over two years after the presidential election. (Remember Florida?) Police harassment is still a problem. Folks, like it or not; believe it not. We have a lot of issues to be concerned about today, including the impending war. Black people cannot afford to be only concerned about one issue. Our ancestors had to be concerned about a lot of issues. The same can be said for us. Everything is not fair and equal in the U.S.

But I think Panthro got it right with the title of the thread when he talked about Dallas being stuck in the ?60s. I would not call myself an expert on the politics of Dallas though the number of Black politicians has grown in the last 10 years. But I get the impression that Dallas it more conservative than Houston and Atlanta. (I went to school in the metro Atlanta area and more of my mother?s relatives are from north Georgia.) Trust me. Atlanta and Houston, especially their surrounding areas, are conservative towns.

As mh sort of alluded to earlier, this is a newspaper article.

Originally posted by Panthro

I can understand.

Back from the meeting and even though "we're still bout to go to war, you folks are still discussing the fact that this guy had an opinion about that sign.

Shouldn't yall ONLY be talking about the fact that "we're about to go to war"

:smh:

No, because I would rather fight to give someone else a dissenting opinion than to fill Shell's coffers. :)

Back