I tried to told'ja that Dallas is stuck in the pre-60s...

Panther88

Banned
Got this from today's Houston Chronicle. This has been going on for a little while here. I'm afraid to go to the lunch counter in this city. :shame: Lawd... :shame:

<<cut>>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Whites Only' sign at county building riles residents
Associated Press

DALLAS -- A barely visible "Whites Only" above a water fountain inside a Dallas County government building is causing a stir among county officials and residents, who disagree on what do with the sign.

The sign etched into a marble wall at the Dallas County Records Building is a left over from the days of segregation. Over the years, officials had tried to buff it away, but vestiges remained and it was recently covered with a metal plate after residents protested.

For some, that was not good enough. At the county commissioners' meeting on Tuesday, one after another deplored the injustices of segregation and demanded the county erase any signs of the sign.

"We are telling you that covering it is not sufficient," Ofori Benson, a member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, told commissioners. "We are still bothered as long as we know what lies behind the metal plate."

County Judge Margaret Keliher, who was accused of being numb to the feelings of black constituents, later told reporters that she has asked some black leaders for suggestions on how to remove the words without taking down the marble.

"Nobody wants to talk about a solution," Keliher said in Wednesday's edition of The Dallas Morning News. "It's a `tear down the building' attitude."

Commissioner John Wiley Price, the only black member of the court and a civil rights activist in his own right, has said there are more pressing issues in county government to worry about.

Commissioners will have to vote on the issue next week.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Commissioner John Wiley Price, the only black member of the court and a civil rights activist in his own right, has said there are more pressing issues in county government to worry about.

Thank God for someone with common sense. This sign has been up for over 20 years. No one has said ish about it. So why all of a sudden are people tripping now. People need to get some "business" and stop worrying about BS. We're about to go to war and they're worried about a damn Whites Only sign.

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE

Thank God for someone with common sense. This sign has been up for over 20 years. No one has said ish about it. So why all of a sudden are people tripping now. People need to get some "business" and stop worrying about BS. We're about to go to war and they're worried about a damn Whites Only sign.

Hell some places in Arkansas have never seen black people except on T.V. Does it bother me....nope. I agree Nasty....there's no telling how this war will come out. Even the British are doubtful about Bush's attitude. We may be fighting this one alone. And we got people worrying about a freaking sign that somebodt forgot to take down.

My conclusion....Wow....

Man please tell me you kneegrows are not acting a dayum fool over this mess. Affirmative Action is being attacked, and we may be going to war, and yall are fussing over a sign?

Didn't it get covered up? What do yall want? The entire building to be rebuilt to take away that one sign? I mean from the article it appears that every other solution has been tried. Somebody go tell that SCLC dude to sit his stupid arse down somewhere. he just wants to be in the news and get some attention.

And you wonder why when real isses come up, nobody wants to listen. Its the boy who cried wolf all over again.........

Originally posted by Suge
Man please tell me you kneegrows are not acting a dayum fool over this mess. Affirmative Action is being attacked, and we may be going to war, and yall are fussing over a sign?

Didn't it get covered up? What do yall want? The entire building to be rebuilt to take away that one sign? I mean from the article it appears that every other solution has been tried. Somebody go tell that SCLC dude to sit his stupid arse down somewhere. he just wants to be in the news and get some attention.

And you wonder why when real isses come up, nobody wants to listen. Its the boy who cried wolf all over again.........

I cosign...

It's so sad the way some of you fall right into the trap--- that ole "we're too busy, we have other important stuff going on". Those were the same "excuses" that "they" used in the 50's and 60's.

I hope I NEVER get too busy to not be able to see whats right and whats wrong.

And just because someone may be calling for this sign to come down doesn't mean they have closed their eyes to everything else going on in the world.

:smh:

I guess a boycott will be next...along with a boycott against R Kelly's new CD and American Idol.

Sad.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
It's so sad the way some of you fall right into the trap--- that ole "we're too busy, we have other important stuff going on". Those were the same "excuses" that "they" used in the 50's and 60's.

I hope I NEVER get too busy to see whats right and whats wrong.

And just because someone may be calling for this sign to come down doesn't mean they have closed their eyes to everything else going on in the world.

:smh:

A sign is more important than no other country supporting us when we are about to go to war with a country that has ties to the guy who initiated 9/11. If we keep fugging around Houston might see some American Airlines planes falling right on that building then we won't have to worry about a sign or a building or the people.

Sweet,

So, because "we are about to go to war", do you think we should just close our eyes to any and every thing else.

I mean, why are we playing around on the internet and "we're about to go to war"

Maybe all sporting events should be cancelled since "we're about to go to war"

Let's close down all restaurants since "we're about to go to war"

Let's not give a damn about right and wrong since "we're about to go to war"

The nerve of somebody to say something negative in 2003 about a "whites only" sign in a government bldg is an outrage since "we're about to go to war"

Give me a break.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE

I cosign...

I co-sign the co-sgin....

We (as blacks) have to be smarter (than we sometiomes are) when we 'pick' fights...... The sign is not worth an argument, moreless a newspaper article. We have much more pressing issues facing us.

:shame:

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

I co-sign the co-sgin....

We (as blacks) have to be smarter (than we sometiomes are) when we 'pick' fights...... The sign is not worth an argument, moreless a newspaper article. We have much more pressing issues facing us.

I co-sign the co-sign the co-sign. This type of $hit ain't even worth the effort. There are more bigger fish to fry. Next thing you know the NAACP will be boycotting Dallas and the State of Texas.

Maybe I need to go back and read the article again, because I obviously missed the part about this being priority number one for anybody.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Sweet,

So, because "we are about to go to war", do you think we should just close our eyes to any and every thing else.

I mean, why are we playing around on the internet and "we're about to go to war"

The nerve of somebody to say something negative in 2003 about a "whites only" sign in a government bldg is an outrage since "we're about to go to war"

Give me a break.

My point is there are bigger fish to fry. We're fussing about a sign when there are issues that will not only effect the racist people, but ALL people.

I agree with Nastynupe. We need to look at other issues not a sign.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I blame Al and Jesse for this. They got people everywhere protesting about bull$#!@. These so called black leaders in Dallas are always bringing up some mess. From John Wiley to Ron Price. It's not the fact that we are stuck in the 60's, the problem is they need a foot stuck up in thier @$$.

This sign has been up since the 60s. It is now 2003. Why all of a sudden? Someone is just trying to get on TV. Why didn't it get painted over in the 70s? The 80s maybe? Surely the 90s? This is about as important as some online petition about whatever. Complain about the number of black homeless people in Dallas. Not some sign that over half of the black population will never see.

Sweet,

Give me a break.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE

I co-sign the co-sign the co-sign. This type of $hit ain't even worth the effort. There are more bigger fish to fry. Next thing you know the NAACP will be boycotting Dallas and the State of Texas.

I co-sign the co-signer's co-sign of the original co-sign...:D

The sign really shouldn't be an issue at all. Yeah, you may still be able to see the old sign underneath the covering, but there's a gazillion other things that could've been brought-up at the County Commissioners meeting.....

They're talking about an old 'whites only' sign, while you almost have to have an off-road vehicle in order to drive down Ft. Worth Avenue (from the El Conejo split, past the Bronco Bowl down to Sylvan).......

Ufck a sign!!!! Get us some asphalt and fix those damn pot-holes!!!!!:redhot:

My thing is this MH....what can be done about the sign that hasn't been done? The article said the sign was covered up! I am sorry, but I just can't support this endeavor when steps have been taken to correct the problem.

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

I co-sign the co-signer's co-sign of the original co-sign...:D

They're talking about an old 'whites only' sign, while you almost have to have an off-road vehicle in order to drive down Ft. Worth Avenue (from the El Conejo split, past the Bronco Bowl down to Sylvan).......

Ufck a sign!!!! Get us some asphalt and fix those damn pot-holes!!!!!:redhot:

I speak from experience...the last time I came to Dallas I hit a pot hole in my car and tore off part of ground effects. The city refused to pay for it. My insurance took care of it but also went up.

I guess I'll deliver a message to Bin Lauden to put that building on the list :rolleyes: just for the sign.

SAY that shat, NN!

CO-tha uckf SIGNING!!!

*getting popcorn*

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddddddd this is good discussion! Hopefully more DIScussing than CUSSing. LOL

Oh!!!

PS: I co-sign MightyHornet on this one. I hear what everybody's saying. Something SHOULD'VE been done a long time ago, it's just that the 60s are just now hitting Malice, I mean, Dallas. :rolleyes: This place has a LONG way to go. :shame:

Originally posted by Panthro
*getting popcorn*

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddddddd this is good discussion! Hopefully more DIScussing than CUSSing. LOL

Are you the "Instaugator"

Back