I tried to told'ja that Dallas is stuck in the pre-60s...

Re: My thoughts

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE
Personally I hope the sign stays up forever. It is a constant reminder of how whites have always thought of us, how they think of us now, and how they'll always think about us. You have a White Only sign. The only thing they did was put a metal sheet over it...or throw up a smoke screen. The same tactics are being applied today. They don't want to hire us...so to keep us from tripping, Affirmative Action is created. That is just a smoke screen since the Supreme Court is trying to do away with it in the first place.

I don't care if you marble the wall down...you still can't change the fact that white people didn't want black people drinking there. What are you going to do next...tear the building down? Destroy all of the pictures and records?

I feel black people should be less worried about trying to be accepted by the man and try creating opportunities for ourselves. I may put up a Blacks Only sign in my house. So what. That's how I feel about them. That's how they feel about us. Despite all of the dreams that were made and the obstacles that we have overcome, by no means necessary was that sign eliminated from our minds.

NN

You make a good point, Nupe......

While I'd like to see it removed completely, it's certainly not bothering me that it's still there, even if it's hidden behind a metal plate. But to some folks, the fact that it's there still causes them problems (why, I dunno). But maybe we need to leave the metal plate where it is. By removing all remnants of the sign, might 'lull' somebody into thinking that it never existed, and that things were always how they are now. And that would be a mistake. And while I believe we must remember our history and the struggles we've had, we also must not completely do away with the signs that the struggle took place at all. We can tear-down every old Courthouse or every old County or City Jail, just because we were once incarcerated there, fighting for our rights. We need to keep some reminders.....

So maybe they oughtta just leave it how it is, or maybe put a plaque below the metal, explaining the significance of not only the original sign, but the changing times that led to it's being covered up in the first place......

:dude:

Originally posted by EB

But I think Panthro got it right with the title of the thread when he talked about Dallas being stuck in the ?60s. I would not call myself an expert on the politics of Dallas though the number of Black politicians has grown in the last 10 years. But I get the impression that Dallas it more conservative than Houston and Atlanta. (I went to school in the metro Atlanta area and more of my mother?s relatives are from north Georgia.) Trust me. Atlanta and Houston, especially their surrounding areas, are conservative towns.

Calling Dallas Conservative is like calling water wet. Ron Kirk was about as centrist a Democrat as you can find, and Laura Miller is asking for trouble. You know she just banned smoking in public places, right? Something like that should go before a referendum, but Queen Laura chose not to.

I live in one of the most Liberal areas of town (mercifully), and even there, you'll find some gun nuts and/or Repugnantcans.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by sophandros

..., and Laura Miller is asking for trouble. You know she just banned smoking in public places, right? ...

Bless her heart! Smoking should be banned from the face of the earth! :angel2:

<i>***thinking of how much I hate smelling someone stankin' arse cigarettes AND how I hate smelling them in a restaurant*** </i>

Can y'all send her to Houston? California banned that **** and it is so damn pleasant to go out to eat and not smell that crap!

Re: Re: My thoughts

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

While I'd like to see it removed completely, it's certainly not bothering me that it's still there, even if it's hidden behind a metal plate. But to some folks, the fact that it's there still causes them problems (why, I dunno).
I don't understand your position.

The first sentence says you want to see it removed completely, but then you question why it still causes problems to some people.

My whole point is that the thing should not be there. Period. Legal separate and "unequal" treatment aint legal no more.
And it is more than insulting to suggest that by removing the sign, black people will be lulled into complacency or we may forget our history. Can you respect the intelligence of blacks any less to even suggest that??

Also, it's crazy to say that the SCLC wants the sign removed to gain acceptance from "the man".

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag

Bless her heart! Smoking should be banned from the face of the earth! :angel2:

<i>***thinking of how much I hate smelling someone stankin' arse cigarettes AND how I hate smelling them in a restaurant*** </i>

Can y'all send her to Houston? California banned that **** and it is so damn pleasant to go out to eat and not smell that crap!

Tell that to the restaurant owner who will lose business from that.

What pisses me off about this ban is that EVERYONE in this town drives those fugging SUVs, which not only destroy the air MUCH worse than a few people taking a drag but they also increase our reliance on Iraqi and other foreign oil. But that's another issue.

If they had put it up for a vote, I wouldn't have any problem with it. The problem was the way it was done. That WILL be an issue in the approaching election.

sophrandos: They would not lose business. California restaurants are thriving like nothing happened. I worked in CA for most of last summer, and because my job was paying for my food, I ate out every night... The restaurants were packed and didn't seem to miss a beat. Initially some people may not go to a restaurant because they can't smoke, but it won't last for long.

Tell that to the restaurant owner who will lose business from that.

They would not lose business because of that. If every restaurant had a smoking ban people would have no choice but to go there regardless.

Re: Re: Re: My thoughts

Originally posted by mighty hornet

I don't understand your position.

The first sentence says you want to see it removed completely, but then you question why it still causes problems to some people.

OK. Right now today, the metal plate is covering what's left of the sign. That doesn't bother me. I don't go in the Courthouse, so I don't deal with it...

Now, it obviously bothers some people enough, that they bring it up in the Commissioners meeting. OK?

Now, if those people are truly upset with it, then it ought to be removed. And if they want it removed, I'd go along with them on it. Since it bothers then , not me....

It doesn't cause me any problems, but I can't assume to understand the passion that a 60+year old might have regarding the sign. I didn't see any black-only or white-only signs when I was little, so I don't have the same appreciation/dislike for it ,that say, my father might have. And if he wanted it removed, then I'd go along with him on it. But if were left up to me (totally, without any other influence) I'd leave it where it is.....

Ya feel me better now?

:dude:

Re: Re: Re: Re: My thoughts

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
but I can't assume to understand the passion that a 60+year old might have regarding the sign. I didn't see any black-only or white-only signs when I was little, so I don't have the same appreciation/dislike for it ,that say, my father might have.
I understand and I agree.

sophrandos: They would not lose business. California restaurants are thriving like nothing happened. I worked in CA for most of last summer, and because my job was paying for my food, I ate out every night... The restaurants were packed and didn't seem to miss a beat. Initially some people may not go to a restaurant because they can't smoke, but it won't last for long.

You don't know Dallasites and the Dallatude. :)

Personally, this is more of a Liberty thing than anything else to me. I couldn't care less about whether there are people smoking in a room with me because I hang out in bars all the time.

If the trial against Oprah (due to her comments about eating beef) is any indication of the Dallatude, I do know it. LOL They'll get over it.

Originally posted by jag4life

They would not lose business because of that. If every restaurant had a smoking ban people would have no choice but to go there regardless.

Not every restaurant will have a smoking ban in ten days. If your alchohol sales are 75% or more of your business, you are a "bar", and people will eat at THOSE places instead of many of the smaller restaurants in town. I'm concerned about how some friends will be doing in a few months, esp. because Dallas is a TOUGH town for new restaurants.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If the trial against Oprah (due to her comments about eating beef) is any indication of the Dallatude, I do know it. LOL They'll get over it.

You're probably right. I just want the roads fixed. Bicth Miller ran on that issue, and all she's done is get smoking banned at Chili's.

I could care less if the sign wasn't covered at all. However, I do believe that with today's technology the sign could be totally removed. I do not believe that simply covering it up is enough, or all that could be done. I would call that a PATCH, or a SHORT TERM SOLUTION. But not something that could not have been addressed with a better permenant solution in the past 30 years.

Not every restaurant will have a smoking ban in ten days. If your alchohol sales are 75% or more of your business, you are a "bar", and people will eat at THOSE places instead of many of the smaller restaurants in town. I'm concerned about how some friends will be doing in a few months, esp. because Dallas is a TOUGH town for new restaurants.

But the restaurants that actually have good food rather than good drinks will not be hurt.

OK. But what happen's when this 'bar' starts serving more meals, and alcohol sales dip below 75% of total revenue, because of increased food sales.....Then they'll have to prohibit smoking.....So they'll lose anyway.....

:shame: It's a 'no win' situation for the butt-heads......

Back