How much do the locals really matter?

I go to a lot of High School football games here in the Houston area and have been to some camps. Also, know a few scouts from the various recruiting services. There is definitely not a lack of talent here. Also, there are a lot of hidden Gems. I see one every week. So the Talent pool is bountiful.
The 2.5-3.5 star talent pool is huge. The top tier P5 talent is large but not enough to share among 5 P5 schools in the state plus UH who gets a few plus the out of state P5 programs.

It pisses local high coaches off. That's the quickest way to kill local recruiting by fielding a team full of out of state players and looking over local kids.

HS Coaches don't forget that type of stuff.

these HS coaches now just want kids to sign so they look good...very few in this day and age and criticize the local colleges anymore cause a lot of them want to work in college. If they REALLY wanted to push kids to the local HBCU they can do that easily. The HBCU wants the kid everyone else wants also. Don't get mad when they don't want to undersized lineman when you can get a better out of state who can play instantly.

out of state wins games, no one cares. When was the last time Grambling had a Louisiana quarterback that was legit? Greg Dillon?

when I was younger I used to beg for local kids as coaches at the time would go out the way to not recruit them. And that was when the local talent in my area was legit as recruiting was not a year round science and there were less FBS teams and more FCS teams. A team like Southern could come in Houston and get a Ryan Lewis, Chris Williams, easily as TSU and PV stuck to areas they were familiar with.

As you get older, you look back in some cases some of the better SWAC players at that time were out-of-state kids. New Orleans did TSU well, PV had success with Florida kids, Alcorn could pull talent from Texas, Grambling did well with Texas, etc.

A good team has a solid mix of talent in state and out of state.

Recruiting local only benefits local families who dont have to travel to see their kid play. Huntsville black folks would rather send their kids to rot away as a walk-on at the white schools anyway so fugg em

Recruiting local only benefits local families who dont have to travel to see their kid play. Huntsville black folks would rather send their kids to rot away as a walk-on at the white schools anyway so fugg em

Contrary to what some think do not buy tickets in most case as they just use comp tickets

Local may come out in an area if there is a big-time basketball star they followed in high school but that is it to that extent

Back