How much do the locals really matter?

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
I received an email from a reader who is upset that Oklahoma State and Oklahoma (both currently top-10 teams) don't have enough in-state players on their rosters. He's pissed. Too many players from Texas, he says.

As a fan, does it matter to you the percentage of in-state players on the roster of your school?

that goes both ways

I've seen locals get recruited and having family access makes for a bad situation. The fans do show as a result but if your not winning..

I've seen out of state players come in and kick butt but if they don't win might as well suck with a local who'll at least come in and buy a hotdog.

It depends more on sports as I think the women's sports thrives on locals as opposed to men's sports which depends more on wins.

I personally don't care, but reality in Texas, you need Texas kids on your teams to win

No you don't. I used to subscribe to that thought but in reality your getting 3rd tier or lower kids once all FBS teams and even PWC FCS teams pick who they want.

You do better going get an out of state kid who has not been overtrained since birth and a little raw. Those kids have much better upside in the long term and data suggests that in Texas.

You need Texas kids more for depth purposes.

There is a reason the P5 Texas teams don't compete nationally at the highest level. The physicality has decreased in the state.

I received an email from a reader who is upset that Oklahoma State and Oklahoma (both currently top-10 teams) don't have enough in-state players on their rosters. He's pissed. Too many players from Texas, he says.

As a fan, does it matter to you the percentage of in-state players on the roster of your school?

That guy sounds like an idiot. OU and OSU wouldn't be top 10 without the Texas kids. Its pretty much always been that way....well it has for OU atleast. At the end of the day, winning is all that matters. Nebraska became a national power with out of state players.

No you don't. I used to subscribe to that thought but in reality your getting 3rd tier or lower kids once all FBS teams and even PWC FCS teams pick who they want.

You do better going get an out of state kid who has not been overtrained since birth and a little raw. Those kids have much better upside in the long term and data suggests that in Texas.

You need Texas kids more for depth purposes.

There is a reason the P5 Texas teams don't compete nationally at the highest level. The physicality has decreased in the state.

I can't argue that point

It absolutely matters....in certain states. For us in Florida, it's a slap in the face when we see Florida boys leave the state.

Watching Tenneessee State beat us with Florida talent we let get away, really irks Rattler fans

It matters to me. Locals assist in filling up seats. More importantly we, HBCUs, keep trying to answer these questions based on FBS programs with budgets damn near 10 times ours.

With HBCUs, especially those in rural areas you fill up seats by recruiting the top kid from some of those small communities. If a school could get season ticket holders from towns within a 60 mile driving range that would assist in the sellout. Let's face it everyone wants to win but you have to recruit smart.

It matters to me. Locals assist in filling up seats. More importantly we, HBCUs, keep trying to answer these questions based on FBS programs with budgets damn near 10 times ours.

With HBCUs, especially those in rural areas you fill up seats by recruiting the top kid from some of those small communities. If a school could get season ticket holders from towns within a 60 mile driving range that would assist in the sellout. Let's face it everyone wants to win but you have to recruit smart.
It matters, even though we say it doesn’t. IT MATTERS!!!!!

Does anyone recall how Les Miles was “ragged” cause Bama was getting the (supposedly) best players from LA? Any 1 remember the kid that chose Bama over LSU when his mom wanted him to go to LSU? (Don't remember him, but I do remember is momma!!!!!!) 1 of A&M’s recruiting pitch is the kids from TX can play SEC football and not leave the state.

When it comes to studs (like Marcus Dupree), ppl don’t care where he came from. But for the most, fans and students want to see their neighbor, classmate, homie on the squad.

Didn’t LSU coach try to “lock the borders” from other coaches? Why?

It matters even at our level. J-State had a coach that stated he would recruit the state first. Like Founder said, we want to see our kids from our back home on our teams. Also, it builds teams up for the future. I recall a story of how Coach Nicks would take the “less talented” players and help them get jobs at high schools so they could promote PV. I’ve heard (and even competed in) arguments on why SU majority recruits just south LA. And how gram has Monroe and Shreveport on lock.

Even in baseball, with the rise of PV back in 2004, PV folks use to say “SU can’t just come across the border choose whoever they want.”

In basketball, just imagine if JSU, SU and Tx SU could recruit and receive the top players in their respective cities. Do you think the crowd and community support would be better or the same.

Home grown (use to) brings more fans and support.

In all, winning matters…..in nearly everything. But, local and in-state talent matters.

Does anyone recall how Les Miles was “ragged” cause Bama was getting the (supposedly) best players from LA? Any 1 remember the kid that chose Bama over LSU when his mom wanted him to go to LSU? (Don't remember him, but I do remember is momma!!!!!!) 1 of A&M’s recruiting pitch is the kids from TX can play SEC football and not leave the state.

Landon Collins. Pro Bowl safety for the Giants.

I agree with the reader's comment. OU and OSU does have too many Texas players on it's rosters. I always felt that way. We need to keep more of those Texas players home here in the great country of Texas. :D

When it comes to studs (like Marcus Dupree), ppl don’t care where he came from. But for the most, fans and students want to see their neighbor, classmate, homie on the squad.

Didn’t LSU coach try to “lock the borders” from other coaches? Why?

It matters even at our level. J-State had a coach that stated he would recruit the state first. Like Founder said, we want to see our kids from our back home on our teams. Also, it builds teams up for the future. I recall a story of how Coach Nicks would take the “less talented” players and help them get jobs at high schools so they could promote PV. I’ve heard (and even competed in) arguments on why SU majority recruits just south LA. And how gram has Monroe and Shreveport on lock.

Even in baseball, with the rise of PV back in 2004, PV folks use to say “SU can’t just come across the border choose whoever they want.”

In basketball, just imagine if JSU, SU and Tx SU could recruit and receive the top players in their respective cities. Do you think the crowd and community support would be better or the same.

Home grown (use to) brings more fans and support.

In all, winning matters…..in nearly everything. But, local and in-state talent matters.

#PREACH

11236655-large.jpg

The state of Oklahoma doesn't have enough D1 talent for their schools to consist of mostly Oklahoma players and be competive.

I understand the schools are a source of state pride. He might have an argument if it was a Texas, California, Florida, or Louisiana school. You could reasonably expect to get most of your talent from in-state then.

Everybody else, including Alabama, has to rely on getting the best players from your state and filling the roster with the best players you can get from elsewhere.

Very few schools have the ability to get most of their talent from their own state and be competitive on a national level. The Oklahoma schools are not among that bunch. If they get most of their players from Oklahoma, he shouldn't expect top ten teams.

Let Okie Lite (aka Oklahoma State) go with a majority dominated Oklahoma resident players and constantly hover around 5-6 or 6-5 and he'll change his tune.

I witnessed this first hand when my little cousin signed with Oklahoma State out of North Shore High School here in Houston. Those recruiters practically/physically live in Texas.

AM, Texas, Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State & a lot of other P5 schools are utilizing the resources of Texas. That is the problem with Texas school not being competitive, not the talent pool.

I go to a lot of High School football games here in the Houston area and have been to some camps. Also, know a few scouts from the various recruiting services. There is definitely not a lack of talent here. Also, there are a lot of hidden Gems. I see one every week. So the Talent pool is bountiful.

Back