Houston Voted Top City To Live In

C-LeB28

HOUSTON, 2:20 p.m. CDT June 5, 2001 - Black Enterprise magazine conducted a survey earlier in the year and concluded that Houston is the No. 1 city for African-Americans to live in.

The magazine, which hit newsstands Tuesday, announced that of all the major U.S. cities, Houston was best overall.

New York and Los Angeles, the most populous cities in America, didn't even crack the top 10.

Houston beat out New York, L.A. and Chicago as the No. 1 place to live, work and play for African-Americans.

"It welcomes all newcomers," Mayor Lee P. Brown said at a news conference. "For Houston, it is not where you came from, it is what you bring to the table."

Brown credited Houston's diverse communities and can-do attitudes.

The magazine surveyed 4,100 people and covered 21 quality-of-life issues, including income, earnings potential, cost of living, how close they were to their employer and cost of housing.

"People are really making decisions in their life based on quality of life much more so than they did in the past," Earl Graves, president of Black Enterprise magazine, said.

A sample of opinions outside the courthouse downtown by News2Houston showed that African-Americans generally agreed with the magazine's ranking, except for one attorney.

"As an attorney and just dealing with all different types of people, it is just really hard for me to believe that," attorney Chawn Hubbard said.

The ranking is a feather in the cap of the Brown administration, and an important tool for Houston's tourism business.

The human resources director for Houston-based Compaq also said that the ranking is a "great, great recruitment tool."

The Top 5

Houston
Washington D.C.
Atlanta
Charlotte, N.C.
Memphis, Tenn.

I could have told y'all that!

Just ask the 2 Bama Transplants. And there might be a third transplant in the making! Stay Tuned! ;)

Re: I could have told y'all that!

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Just ask the 2 Bama Transplants. And there might be a third transplant in the making! Stay Tuned! ;)

Imma be nosy; who's the third one girl?:D

That is interesting. I do not know about Charlotte. But consider that Houston is not a majority Black city. Compare or contrast that to Atlanta, Memphis, and Washington.

I heard that on the news on Channel 13 with Gina Gaston reporting. It is nice to have Gina back in town.

Houston has so much to offer. A beautiful skyline, #100 ranking for air pollution, humidity that is bearable, the best transit system (that consists of "the Metro" that always gets you anywhere on time), every single freeway is under construction in planning for the future, liquor stores close at 9, two great sports teams and one team that will not suck when they start play (WNBA is good too), the more I think about it the best thing about Houston it is in Texas and there isn't a State Income Tax. I guess I will stay here the rest of my life :D ;) :) :p

Hmmmmmm, and I thought about moving away from Houston!

Might have to reconsider!

THANKS for the 411 CLEB!:emlaugh: :redhot: :mad: :p :eek: :( ;) :rolleyes: :idea: :eek: :bawling: :confused: :cool: :D :)

Yall needed Black Enterprise magazine to tell yall that Houston is the best place to live? Hell, I have known that since I was "transplanted from Bama" in 1975.:D

Note my signature.:D

then why a lot of the out of state SWAC folks ain't coming this weekend?

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA
Yall needed Black Enterprise magazine to tell yall that Houston is the best place to live? Hell, I have known that since I was "transplanted from Bama" in 1975.:D

Note my signature.:D
:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

C-leb1.jpg

Here's the July cover of BE. The cover shows Houston's Mayor Lee Brown (who I had the honor to introduce at our Alumni Scholarship Banquet last month) and Pastor Kirby John Caldwell as well as one of Texas Southern's very own (Janell Ellison) who works for NASA as a Verifictions Analyst and is our National Alumni Vice President for Membership.

Pick up this months edition if you don't already subscribe to the magazine.

Now you talkin...

Originally posted by bornthrilla
These people are crazy. :(

Everybody knows Pensacola, Florida should have been voted #1.

That's the forst smart thing ihave ever heard you say!!

The Beach, the Blue hair(and that isn't just old white women either, the laks, the gold teef)!!

Somebody get me out of this hell hole!!!

Man, Houston is the "arm pit" of Texas. There is no way in hell that it should be over Dallas.

I don't care whether Houston or Pensacola is the top city.....I just want to get back to the South.........the NORTH IS KILLING ME!

MH: Of course we are.

SOGGY: Armpit (Houston, as you say) or butt crack (Dallas)?
:D :D *snicker*

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
Man, Houston is the "arm pit" of Texas. There is no way in hell that it should be over Dallas.

Originally posted by Beer Man
Houston has so much to offer. A beautiful skyline, #100 ranking for air pollution, humidity that is bearable, the best transit system (that consists of "the Metro" that always gets you anywhere on time), every single freeway is under construction in planning for the future, [color=dark red]liquor stores close at 9[/color], two great sports teams and one team that will not suck when they start play (WNBA is good too), the more I think about it the best thing about Houston it is in Texas and there isn't a State Income Tax. I guess I will stay here the rest of my life :D ;) :) :p

Awwwwwwwwwwwh, Is that a good thing?;) :p

Just kidding. :) , LLLLLLLLLL, maybe not. :rolleyes:

Damn, Little Rock didn't make the list. That's to bad I love it in my new hometown. By the way liquor store's close at 9:00pm. That's early as hell.

R Bass Sr

Back