HBCU World Series

How can this be considered an HBCU "World" Series when neither team has won it's conference? And whose going to pay 20 dollars for that?

How can this be considered an HBCU "World" Series when neither team has won it's conference? And whose going to pay 20 dollars for that?
Because those two teams were ranked the highest at the end of the regular season, and were 1 and 2 in RPI and the Black College Poll. And both teams won their division.

I like the match-up but not too particular about the title. When I think of a "world series," IMHO there should be multiple teams. Since our champions go to the NCAA, we could never have a true HBCU World Series because the best two teams would always be left out.

So why have this event when there's also the MLB thing at the start of the season? Could the conferences talk to MLB about expanding the Urban Invitational/Andre Dawson Classic to include some MEAC teams as well? It's funny that they'd name the event after a FAMU alum but not have his school participating.

Last edited:
So why have this event when there's also the MLB thing at the start of the season? Could the conferences talk to MLB about expanding the Urban Invitational/Andre Dawson Classic to include some MEAC teams as well? It's funny that they'd name the event after a FAMU alum but not have his school participating.
Famu did participate. SU beat them the first game of the season.

After reading the article on the Baton Rouge Advocate, I can see why Roman Banks and the athletic department decided against playing in this.
The promoters made a lot of promises and didn’t have their stuff together for travel. Plus they didn't have a backup plan for inclement weather. I made some screen shots from the article.

Attachments

• jags 1.jpg
    jags 1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 8
  • jags 2.jpg
    jags 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 8
  • jags 3.jpg
    jags 3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 7
Back