HBCU cheeleading

demondmccombs

Yo... Why is it that the SWAC cheerleading teams follow the more...Well not to offend anyone but "White" style of cheerleading?

And the CIAA and MEAC teams or more northern school seem to do more of the Black Style of cheerleading with there teams? :kiss:

Not to knock either style because both are good at what they do...Because Southern Cheerleaders are top-noch and Winston-Salem are the best of the best.

We all kind of all follow the same rules.

Just wondering how this anomoli came about since were all HBCU's? :)

Clue me in, because I'm at a lost on this one.

What exactly is Black Style Cheerleading? :confused:

The One...Two...Three. Style of cheerleading that lacks african rythems and technigues. Most teams in the SWAC I see do little to any black trademarks when they cheer. As far as adding in african-american technical skill in there performances.

The rarely ever perform the stomp/shake style of cheeleading that is traditional for the CIAA/MEAC schools. Most of these schools incoporate african rythem patterns in there cheers and motions. Almost impossible to emulate by any of our white courterparts. :jump:

For example: Black bands have handcraffed a style that is universally performed by all black schoools. The high-stepping showbandstyle of performance is a black paramount. All of our HBCU do the "black style" of marching. I really could not see our bands performing the boring "white" corp style. :) :) :) :)

MEAC/CIAA perform more of a black method of cheerleading that has been detailed to perfection. We pretty much follow the same rules as far as bands, greeks, activites, and so on being HBCU's. This is just a weird split?

Could this mean the SWAC school want there teams to conform to a more "White" Standard? :xeye:

Hmmm, really never thought about it. I think I understand what you're saying though but, I honestly don't know why. Your thread reminds me of how up north they have double-dutch jump competitons - something REALLY big up north but, I can barely jump w/one rope by myself let alone have 2 people turn it for me. Maybe an experienced southern cheerleader can shed light on this subject.

Could is ... could ain't ... I go to the game for the game ...

*shrugs shoulders*

Who is your black college cheerleading best? :)

HBCU Stomp/Shake

1.Winston-Salem State Universtiy
2. Johnson C. Smith Universtiy
3. North Carolina Central University

HBCU traditional

1. Morgan State Universtiy
2. Southern University
3. Grambling State University

Honorable mention

Virgina State University
North Carolina A&T University
Clark Atlanta University

SLT said:
Clue me in, because I'm at a lost on this one.

What exactly is Black Style Cheerleading? :confused:

Its GHETTO ass chants and ass shakin..... thats exactly what it is..... that aint cheering..... anybody can STOMP the floor and say some ghetto rhyming chant.

I went to the Legacy Classic... (a CIAA basketball tournament that is held at the Charlotte Coliseum during MLK weekend).... and thats all they did.... opposing cheerleading teams get up in each others face with LIL to NOTHING on and have ass shakin contest while stomping the floor... that is c**n cheerleading.

Its o.k. DAHill,

It's o.k. Alabama will catch up...you guys are always behind down there. c**n...Is that one of those words you learned while being chased by the Klan? :smash:

Once again you know nothing about cheerleading...I can tell by your comments. You call that "c**n Cheerleading". At least there not White wanna bee's. :slap:

And do you consider highstepping the c**n Style of Marching? Yes or No? :redhot:

That a Black squad doing precision cheerleading is trying to white is about as narrow minded a train of thought as any.

Well, I CAN speak from experience. I cheered three years in high school at a predominantly white high school where emphasis was placed on precision motions, advanced gymnastics skills, and difficult stunts and pyramids.

When I made the cheerleading squad at Prairie View A&M University, there were a few things that I had to get used to. The dances were a little more funkier, a lot of the girls did not have as extensive background in gymnastics that I did. However, we practiced hard, took the job seriously, performed many difficult stunts and pyramids. Are cheers and chants were NEVER ghetto.

There may be differents styles of cheerleading, however, I would not assign them a race.

demondmccombs said:
Who is your black college cheerleading best? :)

HBCU Stomp/Shake

1.Winston-Salem State Universtiy
2. Johnson C. Smith Universtiy
3. North Carolina Central University

HBCU traditional

1. Morgan State Universtiy
2. Southern University
3. Grambling State University

Honorable mention

Virgina State University
North Carolina A&T University
Clark Atlanta University

Not to be Bias, but Grambling put the best Pyramids together, harder degree of difficulty, and best dancing than all of the Black Cheer squads. Southern has an Grambling Alumni as there coach and as for Clark Atlanta. GSU would and has smoke them in competition. GSU and SU are the only Black Colleges that participate in the NCA National Championship every year. SU actually came in second in 2002.

GSU can not even get near the precision and style of Winston-Salem State University. They don't stunt but if those two ever faced of I Know WSSU would send them packing.

There a power house Stomp/shake team and would rip them to shreads? :nod: I don't think any of the SWAC or SIAC schools have enuff cheer amunittion to go agaist the CIAA/MEAC schools.

Based on the measuring stick indicated, I'd have to agree that the CIAA/MEAC schools would easily dominate in this area.....thank God! :tup:

If the CIAA/MEAC schools Cheerleaders are so good. Why is it that they don't participate for the NCA National Chapionship?

This topic was discussed recently on Onnidan...

http://onnidan.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002615;p=2

My own sense is that is doesn't take any skill to stand up and shake your @zzz. Nor do I consider that "black" cheerleading. What it says to me is that these folks are dancers perping as "cheerleaders". These folks have taken this to such an extreme that it was recently decreed by the CIAA that these "cheerleaders" can't even take the floor at bball games any more because of their conduct. What other conferences have cheerleaders who have names just like the dance troupes that perform with the band? If @zz shaking is black cheerleading, y'all can have it. :rolleyes:

http://onnidan.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007917

LOL @ someone from Alabama calling anyone from the East Coast a "c**n". :lol:

I'd rather see the traditional style of cheering (JSU/Grambling/Southern) during football season and the CIAA-style during basketball season. Being basketball arenas are smaller than football stadiums the CIAA cheerleaders make the atmosphere live and crunk. I go to sleep during SWAC basketball games.

...Carry On..

DaGSUMan said:
If the CIAA/MEAC schools Cheerleaders are so good. Why is it that they don't participate for the NCA National Chapionship?

They would get laughed at with that ghetto mess.

Nonchalant said:
LOL @ someone from Alabama calling anyone from the East Coast a "c**n". :lol:

I'd rather see the traditional style of cheering (JSU/Grambling/Southern) during football season and the CIAA-style during basketball season. Being basketball arenas are smaller than football stadiums the CIAA cheerleaders make the atmosphere live and crunk. I go to sleep during SWAC basketball games.

...Carry On..

shawty you swear you from NEW YORK or PHILLY.... Yo ass is from North Carolina..... if you think stomping and girating your ass is considered cheerleading then thats your business.... but I dont think it is cheerleading. There are some cheerleaders like that in the SWAC (Bama St basketball cheerleaders)... but when they came up here and played AAMU, it wasnt **** they could when AAMU was doing pyramids and flipping all over they asses. They would just come back with some GHETTO stomp and chant.

I will soon kick down the 30th year high school reunion real soon. I am from Dayton, OH and the black schools had really "Crunk" cheers and steps. There was not a whole lot of "Booty" shaking but there was not a lot of stiff stuff. You had to do lot of gymnastics with lots of rhythm and soul. Schools like Cincy Hughes, Toledo Scott, Louisville Central, etc where great. When I arrived at AAMU and attended my first football game I was in culture shock. The cheers and moves were very similar to what I expect from a Dayton Alter and Chaminade Julieanne, Cincy Moeller, University of Dayton, etc. While times have changed the cheering style has not changed much. I think cheering has moved closer to the other style because of $$$ in camps and competitions.

Re: HBCU cheeleading (sorry so long)

Let me get this straight...so if they cheer on a NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED level, (in other words how its done in 90% of the world) then we are wanna be's? Let me clarify a few things....1) the rhyming/stomping thing is NOT cheerleading. Just because they wish it doesnt make it so. Thats just like the laker girls calling themselves cheerleader but yet to date they have yet to do a cheer. They just dance. Thats a DANCE TEAM. What the stepping/rhyming signifies....is a STEP TEAM. I have seen both, participated in both. Its a glorified dance off. I would not say you do not need any SKILL to do the latter but i will say that not many of them girls can come out and do a roundoff back handspring back tuck into a full extension. CHEERLEADING wheter you believe it or not is a DANGEROUS sport. (if you are any good).

Now for the GRAMBLING HAVING THE BEST SQUAD thing....true James is a GSU alumni, but WHERE IS HE NOW. Furthermore I do not recall GSU being nationally ranked in Black college nationals AS WELL AS NCA National competitions REPEATEDLY like SU. GSU you is good but dont GLORIFY them. I have yet to see one of them partake in that same stunt aforementioned. (by the way that is a normal stunt for su).

in conclusion...CHEERLEADING IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. The latter is just meant to be "fun" I guess. Its like comparing Street Ball to NCAA standards. It doesnt happen and is pointless. You cannot play streetball at duke, lsu or even at hbcu's. You will get fouled out, kicked out the game or worse off the team. With cheerleading you could not step/rhyme at a national competition they would laugh you off the stage!

DAHILL said:
shawty you swear you from NEW YORK or PHILLY.... Yo ass is from North Carolina..... if you think stomping and girating your ass is considered cheerleading then thats your business.... but I dont think it is cheerleading. There are some cheerleaders like that in the SWAC (Bama St basketball cheerleaders)... but when they came up here and played AAMU, it wasnt **** they could when AAMU was doing pyramids and flipping all over they asses. They would just come back with some GHETTO stomp and chant.

DAHILL, quit cryin, yo. North Carolina geographically is in the South as is Florida, VA and Maryland but culturally no. I'm not saying we're just like like Philly or NY but our culture (speech/lingo, our music, style of dress, education, fast pace way of life) is totally different from the South. The CIAA consists of schools from NC to MD which is the East Coast.

I find it funny how some of you can judge how they cheer and why they won't go to a National competition but what do you think would happen if one of your schools played a PWC in football and you brought one of your "c**n" bands. How do you think people from the West Coast and East Coast feel about the "Hooka Hooka", "Jiggalatin", "Bunnie Hop" and all those other slave jigs you do in the club in the South. lol Its whatever.

...Carry On..

DAHILL said:
They would get laughed at with that ghetto mess.

GSU and SU always participates and never gets laughed at. GSU and SU create great stunts and pyramids and the next year you see the white schools doing them.

DaGSUMan said:
GSU and SU always participates and never gets laughed at. GSU and SU create great stunts and pyramids and the next year you see the white schools doing them.

you misunderstood me... I was referring to the jirating booty stomp cheerleaders

Back