HBCU Basketball: January 2 - 9

See my post from earlier this week.

Yall were just about at it. Bad perimeter and post defense in the paint (especially late in the game). If Valley wins 5-6 games this year, Payne will be in the same boat as Comegy going into the last year of a contract. As I said before, the rest of the SWAC is down (see TSU losing to PV right now) so that gives me some small hope but we gotta tighten it up. We haven't beat Alabama State in a couple of years so that's gonna be a tough game as well
We might struggle this season. We don't have a good pg to replace Waters

See my post from earlier this week.

Yall were just about at it. Bad perimeter and post defense in the paint (especially late in the game). If Valley wins 5-6 games this year, Payne will be in the same boat as Comegy going into the last year of a contract. As I said before, the rest of the SWAC is down (see TSU losing to PV right now) so that gives me some small hope but we gotta tighten it up. We haven't beat Alabama State in a couple of years so that's gonna be a tough game as well

We might be in the same boat as yall. 5 to 6 wins max. We only won 11 last year with a roster full of seniors and one of the best players in the SWAC (Tabb).

Im ready for an experienced D1 coach to come in here and fix the program.

We might be in the same boat as yall. 5 to 6 wins max. We only won 11 last year with a roster full of seniors and one of the best players in the SWAC (Tabb).

Im ready for an experienced D1 coach to come in here and fix the program.

Romain is our only consistent scorer returning and got hurt (seemingly on a minutes restriction since he came back last week). The other seniors are inconsistent scorers or left the team (transferred or left basketball altogether). I gave Payne the benefit of the doubt because he was successful at the NAIA level but thus far he doesn't have anyone that he recruited as a freshman and only 2 sophomores. The # of transfers (those that left Valley) is my biggest red flag (although a good chunk of those are JUCOs).

January 9
AAMU @ UAPB
Southern @ JSU
Alcorn @ Grambling
Alabama State @ Valley

January 11
Alcorn @ JSU

January 14
UAPB @ Southern
Jackson State @ Prairie View
Alabama State @ AAMU
Valley @ Alcorn
Grambling @ TSU

The link to the ASU/Valley stream, as usual, won't be available until before game time

Last edited:
Didn't know about this until the production company overseeing it tweeted it out but Alabama State/Valley will be broadcast on the SDN

Shame smh

The better team won.
Jackson State wanted it more.
The less fatigued team won.
We'll see how they do this week since they have that make up game wednesday and then have to do that Texas 2 Step on Sat & Mon.

Valley 73
Alabama State 70

Marcus Romain goes for 28 points and 10 rebounds.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back