HBCU Baseball and Softball: April 5-10

Which is crazy... one bad ump, one error, one controversial call...season's toast. SWAC, gotta love it. :confused:
I think we went undefeated in the tournament a few years ago and lost the championship game against JSU, who had lost a tournament game already.

But their best players are upperclassmen in Camacho and McIntosh and Tollado. Add to that one of their best pitchers in Valdez and also Camacho, it's almost make or break for them this year.
Melendez thought he could dominate the SWAC like he did the MEAC, but so far it ain't happening.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
No that hard for Melendez and staff to find and groom good pitchers as evidenced by them producing the last 3 SWAC pitchers of the year and have 3 from the 2015 team sign pro contracts.

No that hard for Melendez and staff to find and groom good pitchers as evidenced by them producing the last 3 SWAC pitchers of the year and have 3 from the 2015 team sign pro contracts.
but according to jayrob, if ASU doesn't win the SWAC this year, we won't win it "anytime soon".
smh

I think we went undefeated in the tournament a few years ago and lost the championship game against JSU, who had lost a tournament game already.
Not true. The 2 years J-State won the SWAC (2013 and 2014), they went undefeated in tourney play. The year J-State and Bama State played for the ship is a few weeks after jsu had the bus fire debacle. JSU may have been the #4 seed in the east but got hotter than that burnt bus and not only won the conference but went on to knock off #1 in the nation ULL.

for all of bama state's success in conference this year, to me they have really struggled in those mid-week games. samford to them to the woodshed for the 2nd time yesterday.

for all of bama state's success in conference this year, to me they have really struggled in those mid-week games. samford to them to the woodshed for the 2nd time yesterday.
That's a constant struggle with all SWAC teams. While teams in the past has had good weekend rotations, the midweek hurlers as well as the bullpen don't matchup with the pens of midweek opponents. Nevertheless, if Bama State keeps it up, they should win the conference this year and be a good opponent come playoff time.

Enjoy surprising FL State!!!
http://www.d1baseball.com/projections/road-omaha-field-64-april-13/

That's a constant struggle with all SWAC teams. While teams in the past has had good weekend rotations, the midweek hurlers as well as the bullpen don't matchup with the pens of midweek opponents. Nevertheless, if Bama State keeps it up, they should win the conference this year and be a good opponent come playoff time.

Enjoy surprising FL State!!!
http://www.d1baseball.com/projections/road-omaha-field-64-april-13/

the prior projection had them going to lubbock I believe. would love for them to end up here in clemson.

You are right, particularly after beating a ranked USA team last week.

but according to jayrob, if ASU doesn't win the SWAC this year, we won't win it "anytime soon".
smh
Bama State hasn't won it in what....30 years? You've had Merv going on four years and still haven't won it, so my theory still stands.
Being a good "regular" season team doesn't equate to being a good tournament team.

I Would love for JSU to win it. However, I think this is their year that Alabama State will win the tournament. This is the year that the best team will win it. Good program over there.

Bama State hasn't won it in what....30 years? You've had Merv going on four years and still haven't won it, so my theory still stands.
Being a good "regular" season team doesn't equate to being a good tournament team.
None of that has anything to do with your ridiculous notion that if ASU doesn't win the tourney this year, we won't win it anytime soon. Does that hold for every team or just ASU? LOL
By the same token, does that also mean if ASU wins the tourney this year, we are a lock to win it for the next few years. LOL!
but I digress, because I've been on here long enough to know that you're just looking to spew a lil hate (I'm sure that sweep didnt help) on ASU having a good season so far, so you harp on prior seasons. And even future ones too. :confused: Anything not to stay in the present year. But I understand though.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
None of that has anything to do with your ridiculous notion that if ASU doesn't win the tourney this year, we won't win it anytime soon. Does that hold for every team or just ASU? LOL
By the same token, does that also mean if ASU wins the tourney this year, we are a lock to win it for the next few years. LOL!
but I digress, because I've been on here long enough to know that you're just looking to spew a lil hate (I'm sure that sweep didnt help) on ASU having a good season so far, so you harp on prior seasons. And even future ones too. :confused: Anything not to stay in the present year. But I understand though.
Winning the tournament this year is in the present. The current players I mentioned are currently playing for Bama State in case you didn't know.
This is perhaps the best team Melendez has had since coming to Bama State, so I feel justified in saying that if he doesn't win it this season, he may not win it any time soon. I can't see him having a better team than this one after those seniors leave.
Simply put, the pressure's on him and he knows it.

But their best players are upperclassmen in Camacho and McIntosh and Tollado. Add to that one of their best pitchers in Valdez and also Camacho, it's almost make or break for them this year.
jayrob,
Tuesday, ASU pitcher Brian Caples threw 7 scoreless innings against OVC leader Jacksonville State
Wednesday, ASU pitcher Angel Alicia threw 7 scoreless innings against sec Tennessee.

Both of these guys are underclassmen, along with many others. If you expect ASU to just fall off next year, then......

jayrob,
Tuesday, ASU pitcher Brian Caples threw 7 scoreless innings against OVC leader Jacksonville State
Wednesday, ASU pitcher Angel Alicia threw 7 scoreless innings against sec Tennessee.

Both of these guys are underclassmen, along with many others. If you expect ASU to just fall off next year, then......
We also have our 2nd best pitcher Tyler Howe (7-2 record with 1.05 ERA) returning. Along with that, we currently have 7 players batting over.300. Of those 7, only one is a senior.

Every year has it's own flavor. Just because a player's doing well this year doesn't mean he'll keep it up next year.
My point is that THIS year is what's important for Melendez. This is year four and he's yet to win the SWAC. Winning all those regular season games means little if his team doesn't make the NCAA tournament for the fourth straight year.

jayrob,

Since when did MH become interested in baseball?:snicker:

Every year has it's own flavor. Just because a player's doing well this year doesn't mean he'll keep it up next year.
My point is that THIS year is what's important for Melendez. This is year four and he's yet to win the SWAC. Winning all those regular season games means little if his team doesn't make the NCAA tournament for the fourth straight year.
Face it, the mess you posted that if ASU doesn't win the tournament this year, we won't win it for the next few years is just that....mess. And it's grounded in absolutely NOTHING. You named a couple of our senior players to try to suggest that we have a senior dominated team and will be depleted next year, but that isn't the case. You have nothing to know if ASU (or any other team for that matter) won't win in the next few years. smh

Reactions: J C
Face it, the mess you posted that if ASU doesn't win the tournament this year, we won't win it for the next few years is just that....mess. And it's grounded in absolutely NOTHING. You named a couple of our senior players to try to suggest that we have a senior dominated team and will be depleted next year, but that isn't the case. You have nothing to know if ASU (or any other team for that matter) won't win in the next few years. smh
This is the best team Melendez has had in four years. It's highly unlikely that he'll have a better pitching and hitting team next year.
And I didn't suggest a senior dominated team. Your best players are seniors for the most part and they'll be gone is what I suggested.
It's how you play during the tournament is what counts, not before.
Again though, when did MH become interested in baseball?

This is the best team Melendez has had in four years. It's highly unlikely that he'll have a better pitching and hitting team next year.
Do you know that he will need to "have a better pitching and hitting team next year" in order to win the SWAC next year?
How do you know what kind of "pitching and hitting team" he will have next year or any time in the future?
How do you know what kind of team any other SWAC team will have in the future?

Unless you know the answers to these questions (and you DON'T) , there is no way you can say he won't be winning in the future.

Again though, when did MH become interested in baseball?
Yeah, I haven't posted anything about baseball before now. smh You may think that diversion might work, but it won't.
You got called on some flimsy statements that you can't back up with ANYTHING remotely concrete. It is what it is.

MH....im glad your baseball team got off life support. However, I agree with JayRob. JSU is not gonna let u sorry saps run the EAST. We have a new AD now. He has new standards. Viv was a compliance director. Enjoy this time...

Back