Harold Jackson sues

Also, if the statute of limitation doesn't run out on him, Rick Comegy might do the same once he retires from Valley.if he was not given the opportunity to negotiate his termination pay. I'm sure Harold's attorney has sent him his contact information. Also, I'm sure some attorney in Mississippi sees this as an opportunity of getting back at Carolyn Meyers for allowing her daughter's father-in-law company to receive the school's catering contract. And who knows, the attorney might work for the same catering company that didn't get the contract. Carolyn might have to payout a lot of money for the way she did business at JSU.

You just made up a whole sequel to a story.

Comegy was about to get FIRED. So he had to either accept that low buyout or get to stepping.
Carolyn really NEVER wanted OMJ but she gave him a chance... not once chance but 2 or 3. And the Queen was a smart. She calculated how many weeks of salary that 65K equalled and that's when she fired him... LOL So the net buyout was really $0.00.

You just made up a whole sequel to a story.

Comegy was about to get FIRED. So he had to either accept that low buyout or get to stepping.
Carolyn really NEVER wanted OMJ but she gave him a chance... not once chance but 2 or 3. And the Queen was a smart. She calculated how many weeks of salary that 65K equalled and that's when she fired him... LOL So the net buyout was really $0.00.

Get your money Harold!!! LMAO!!!

It sounds like an either or situation, where Harold Jackson could have accepted the $65k buyout or alternatively, negotiate his termination pay. From the lawsuit, Harold Jackson never accepted the $65k buyout and he wasn't given the opportunity to negotiate his termination pay. Instead, JSU just issued him a check for $65k without allowing him the ability to exercise his contractual rights to negotiate his termination pay. I'm sure Carolyn Meyers was the person who authorized the disbursement of a check for $65k. In order words, if that is the case, he does have a lawsuit. The discrimination part is that the IHL Board only places the buyout clause in African American coaches contracts, whereas White coaches are paid what is remaining on their contract upon early termination, even Jay Hopkins contract at Alcorn State University. Harold Jackson might not get the $329,808.22 that was left on his contract, but I do believe he might get something significantly more than $65k. And who knows, the discrimination part might grant him the entire $329,808.22.

Just my 2-cents from reading the lawsuit. LOL!!!

Well, you need to get a penny back cause you only half right.

If he had a negotiation clause in his contract, which I doubt, he has a claim.

However, the IHL makes those buyouts to protect the university. Im sure the Presidents of the HBCUs will support the IHL in this. We can't afford full contract buyouts like the white folks. The discrimination is institutional across the country for HBCUs. It's not an IHL thing.

Well, you need to get a penny back cause you only half right.

If he had a negotiation clause in his contract, which I doubt, he has a claim.

However, the IHL makes those buyouts to protect the university. Im sure the Presidents of the HBCUs will support the IHL in this. We can't afford full contract buyouts like the white folks. The discrimination is institutional across the country for HBCUs. It's not an IHL thing.

I'm just going by what's in the lawsuit. If his contract was something different, I'm sure it will eventually come out later. But as of now, it seems like Harold is about to get paid.

I'm sure discrimination is allowed in most contracts, but as of now, Harold is suing the Mississippi IHL Board for discrimination.

JitteryUnluckyAmethystsunbird.gif

I'm just going by what's in the lawsuit. If his contract was something different, I'm sure it will eventually come out later. But as of now, it seems like Harold is about to get paid.

I'm sure discrimination is allowed in most contracts, but as of now, Harold is suing the Mississippi IHL Board for discrimination.

Discrimination in a contract and discrimination on how contracts are writing up base on race is an entirely different animal.

Which I'm sure you more than understand because you were taught how to properly use you cognitive skills

So he had one of the highest paid contracts in HBCU football, yet he's being discriminated against? Dude won three games and was paid 70,000 dollars for every win. He left JSU football in shambles and lost control of his players.
That joker needs to be paying money BACK to JSU for what he did.

Dude, most of what you post ends up being wrong. Jackson couldn't give a care about other Black coaches. He's in this strictly for himself, but under the guise of fighting for Black coaches.
As someone said earlier, HBCU's can't afford huge buyout contracts like the FBS schools who have boosters who don't mind giving up a few hundred thousand to pay a coach to leave.

So he had one of the highest paid contracts in HBCU football, yet he's being discriminated against? Dude won three games and was paid 70,000 dollars for every win. He left JSU football in shambles and lost control of his players.

I completely agree with this sentiment.

Discrimination in a contract and discrimination on how contracts are writing up base on race is an entirely different animal.

Which I'm sure you more than understand because you were taught how to properly use you cognitive skills

In this case, it is based on race. I'm sure if one read every contract thoroughly, they might see a pattern of some form of discrimination. The way I see it, Harold's discrimination lawsuit is lagniappe to his real argument, which is, since he didn't breach his contract, he wasn't given the opportunity to negotiate his termination pay as stated. And as I previously stated, Comegy might be able to do the same if the statute of limitation doesn't run out on him. I'm sure he's not going to sue the IHL Board while working as a coach at a public university in Mississippi.

According to his contract, which was to run through January 2017 before the University terminated it, Jackson had agreed to a $65,000 buyout “or a figure negotiated and agreed upon by both parties if terminated earlier by the university.”

The lawsuit claims Jackson only signed the contract because he understood — and still understands — that clause to mean the State College Board would pay the $65,000 only in the event Jackson was found to be in breach of his contract.

There is no language in Jackson’s contract that would indicate the buyout depended on the nature of his dismissal.

It says Jackson was fired without cause on or about Oct. 6, 2015 after the Tigers went 6-11 in his first 17 games, including a 1-4 start to the 2015 season.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/.../former-jsu-football-coach-lawsuit/100703182/

Last edited:

Right or wrong, a judge will make the finally determination.

I don't think he has a case tbh... Hughes has the highest buyout clause in MS because he can NEGOTIATE. Nobody played HJ, we just protected our university and he signed a bad contract. Oh well.
Someone bought this to my attention earlier. Let's say Hopson's contract fully guaranteed him all of his money if he was terminated without cause and Fred McNair's contract has a $50,000 or $75,000 buyout clause. Does Harold Jackson have a case for discrimination against black coaches at this point?

Someone bought this to my attention earlier. Let's say Hopson's contract fully guaranteed him all of his money if he was terminated without cause and Fred McNair's contract has a $50,000 or $75,000 buyout clause. Does Harold Jackson have a case for discrimination against black coaches at this point?

That pattern has already been establish and is the basis for the discrimination suit.

If they hadn't hired Hopson they might have been able to argue successfully that it is standard practice for FCS level coaches or something of that angle.

That pattern has already been establish and is the basis for the discrimination suit.

If they hadn't hired Hopson they might have been able to argue successfully that it is standard practice for FCS level coaches or something of that angle.
I think he has leverage against IHL with the Hopson/McNair contract comparison. Schools like Ole Miss, Miss State and USM have those boosters donating millions which allows for bigger buyouts. For example, Charlie Strong got millions when he got fired

You are correct. It didn't. Also, folks can stop all this kumbaya mess that HBCUs can't afford huge buyouts. Maybe HBCUs need to stop paying these above average salaries for a FCS coach.
So you're saying, discriminate on the front end instead of the back end? Oh, ok.

How has it been established? Neither Valley nor Alcorn has a similar buyout clause to my knowledge.
That's something common only to JSU.

If there had been a previous White HC at JSU who did not have a buy out clause in his contract then maybe HJ would have a case of discrimination. I don't think the single case at Alcorn with Hopson/McNair sets a pattern of discrimination.

If there had been a previous White HC at JSU who did not have a buy out clause in his contract then maybe HJ would have a case of discrimination. I don't think the single case at Alcorn with Hopson/McNair sets a pattern of discrimination.

Speechless

Jackson's claiming that this buyout stuff only happens at HBCU's.
He failed to mention that FBS schools have boosters who pay for buyout clauses with their own money.
The buyout clause is a safety valve to help JSU rid itself of a terrible coach without having to dish out hundreds of thousands of dollars on the backend. These types of contracts happens in all types of professions, not just football.

What people have to realize, JSU fired Harold Jackson without cause. Therefore, since Jackson wasn't fired based on him breaching his contract, JSU should have negotiated with him on his termination payment, which they did not. The discrimination part is an added piece in the lawsuit to sweeten the deal, which all good attorneys do when they present a case. Basically, Jackson's attorney is providing two legitimate arguments instead of one. IMO, depending on the actual true language of his contract, Jackson should be able to win the negotiation part easily, with the discrimination part as a way of saying, Mississippi IHL Board practices race discrimination. If Jackson is successful with the race discrimination part, this just might open up other lawsuits against the IHL Board. As I previously stated, Comegy might be able to do the same. I assume Carolyn Meyer was added to the lawsuit since she authorized the $65k buyout. In order to clear her name, she would have to testify that she was directed by the IHL Board to do such. Harold Jackson might not be a great coach, but he has been in the professional sports business long enough to understand contracts. I'm sure he has hired big sport and entertainment law firms like Loeb & Loeb to negotiate professional contracts. My ex-wife used to work for them in Los Angeles as a paralegal and they handled contracts for big sports clients. I still remember hearing her tell me what famous person, such as Eric Dickerson who played for the Rams like Harold Jackson would stop by their office to speak with an attorney.

Last edited:
Back