Grambling State Interim Head Coach Suspected of Falsifying Application

TRU2GSU said:
I see you know how to read but your understanding is way off. You show me where I said it is the media fault!
:bawling: That is all I read while reading your post. The media will publish negativity, the media will write bad things about us, the media this, the media that. Just like the cop told Cain in Menance to Society is what is being said to Spears now. "You ucked up. You know you ucked up, dont you?"

Tru, don't get me wrong, I understand your position, but because of all the negative stuff that's come from Gram as of late, this move had to be made. Can you imagine the headlines in the Shreveport newspaper, if this move hadn't been made? "GSU President kept coach on for successful football season, even though he knew the coach falsified application." Bruh, they would've run Judson out of town, faster than he arrived.

I don't think this move (on the president's part) is out of personality, or performance, but more of ethics. Judson is doing what Spears should've done, and that's be up front about the situation, because if he hadn't, the reprecussions would to great to overcome. Do you know how hard it would be for him to be a president of another universtiy if this news came out?

This kind of news would follow him everywhere he went, and for what? The sake of covering up someone else's phugg up?

You speak of bad press, and effects on recruiting, but what happens if Spears leads GSU to the title (slim, but not out of the question) and is then asked to resign, or is fired? You don't questions will be asked? Especially if he wins, resigns, and he's not leaving for another coaching position. Can you imagine that press?

However, all of this is mute if Spears produces a degree, or UNA say's they made a mistake, and Spears in fact has succesfuly completed the necessary course work, and should have his masters degree.

Doug being family, is the exact reason why his schit should've been together, too many resources at his disposal not to have his schit together. He knows the nature of the beast, and it's hard enough for a brother with proper credentials to get a job as a head coach (nobody knows better than Doug). Now whether he knew Coach Spears falsified his new application is neither here, nor there. But I find it hard to believe that Doug hired him, not knowing he didn't have one.

Don't take my comments as being negative, or malicious towards your school, I'm just looking at the big picture, and the situation your president has been placed in.

NICE

Blacknbengal said:
So now it's the media fault that they reported that he didnt get his masters degree? The media hardly ever report anything positive dealing with sports, HBCUs, and black people in general. So why start now?

Since we know all of this we (HBCU's) still expose all our dirty laundry to the media. When I was at Gram La Tech had the highest crime rate out of the two universites but that did not make the paper. But anything happens at Gram, Gram is put on blast. There is a whole lot of La tech dirty laundry that did not make the paper because the choose to keep it in house and deal with it in their own way. If spears did not get his masters as stated then that is on Spears! There is a staying "what happens in these four walls stays in these 4 walls" unless it cannot be avoided.

TRU2GSU said:
Since we know all of this we (HBCU's) still expose all our dirty laundry to the media. When I was at Gram La Tech had the highest crime rate out of the two universites but that did not make the paper. But anything happens at Gram, Gram is put on blast. There is a whole lot of La tech dirty laundry that did not make the paper because the choose to keep it in house and deal with it in their own way. If spears did not get his masters as stated then that is on Spears! There is a staying "what happens in these four walls stays in these 4 walls" unless it cannot be avoided.
Tru, I understand all that. I use to hang out at Tech when I was at Gram too. But, we all know that the media is just doing their job. Someone evidently wants Spears to follow his cousin.........out of town. Hey if it help you, I believe some of our fans would do the same to Bell if they could.

If the dude in fact lied on his application, then the cat that hired him knew about it from the jump. That cat is gone. If dude lied, then dude needs to get gone...and bring someone in who can bring some integrity back to the program.

D-NICE said:
Tru, don't get me wrong, I understand your position, but because of all the negative stuff that's come from Gram as of late, this move had to be made. Can you imagine the headlines in the Shreveport newspaper, if this move hadn't been made? "GSU President kept coach on for successful football season, even though he knew the coach falsified application." Bruh, they would've run Judson out of town, faster than he arrived.I see your point as it relates to that and the Shreveport times.

I don't think this move (on the president's part) is out of personality, or performance, but more of ethics. Judson is doing what Spears should've done, and that's be up front about the situation, because if he hadn't, the reprecussions would to great to overcome. Do you know how hard it would be for him to be a president of another universtiy if this news came out?
I know it was brought to Dr. Judson attention so he had to make a move on it and be ethical about it. There is also another agenda there as well and that is all I will say on that.

This kind of news would follow him everywhere he went, and for what? The sake of covering up someone else's phugg up?I was never suggesting cover it up. I was thinking more alone the lines of damage control.

You speak of bad press, and effects on recruiting, but what happens if Spears leads GSU to the title (slim, but not out of the question) and is then asked to resign, or is fired? You don't questions will be asked? Especially if he wins, resigns, and he's not leaving for another coaching position. Can you imagine that press?That is when you release statement that Spears was released for "undisclosed reasons" and let the media speculate. That would be MY way of thanking Spears for his time serves at GSU. We (A.A.) tear each other down enough as it it.

Don't take my comments as being negative, or malicious towards your school, I'm just looking at the big picture, and the situation your president has been placed in.

NICE

I feel your post dude!

Blacknbengal said:
Tru, I understand all that. I use to hang out at Tech when I was at Gram too. But, we all know that the media is just doing their job. Someone evidently wants Spears to follow his cousin.........out of town. Hey if it help you, I believe some of our fans would do the same to Bell if they could.

You spoke a mouth full right there. I prayed it is not for another home boy hookup.

Blacknbengal said:
Hey if it help you, I believe some of our fans would do the same to Bell if they could.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
:goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof:

NAW!! :lmao: :lmao:

NASTYNUPE said:
If the dude in fact lied on his application, then the cat that hired him knew about it from the jump. That cat is gone. If dude lied, then dude needs to get gone...and bring someone in who can bring some integrity back to the program.
I didn't know that we lost any integrity.

Carry on.

If the Prez gave Spears a week to produce the documents, what's the point of going to the media before that week is out, especially saying the stuff he is quoted as saying about how "disturbing" it is for him to "learn that Spears had not earned a masters degree." Suppose, (by some chance) Spears actually produce the degree. Then the school and the man will have been dragged for nothing.
Seems to me, school officials jumped the gun.

I hope that he can find his documentation and put this episode to bed, but I wouldn't need a WEEK to find my Master's Degree.

JAGWAR said:
I hope that he can find his documentation and put this episode to bed, but I wouldn't need a WEEK to find my Master's Degree.

Really. Shouldn't it be hanging on the wall or on the family bookshelf at the house?

If Spears does not have the degree he should be replaced. But, if it is proven that he did EARN his masters what will this do to remove the interim label from his job title. We all know that there are alumni out there who will do everything necessary and unecessaty to get a coach fired even if means putting the university through a publicity nightmare. I know Alabama State isn't the only school with this problem.

mighty hornet said:
If the Prez gave Spears a week to produce the documents, what's the point of going to the media before that week is out, especially saying the stuff he is quoted as saying about how "disturbing" it is for him to "learn that Spears had not earned a masters degree." Suppose, (by some chance) Spears actually produce the degree. Then the school and the man will have been dragged for nothing.
Seems to me, school officials jumped the gun.
Exactly.

JagCynic said:
Really. Shouldn't it be hanging on the wall or on the family bookshelf at the house?

I agree, if he had a degree all he need to is take it off the wall and show it to them. That is where mine is located. If not that, he can call and get the transcripts sent to the school. I don't believe he has a masters degree not saying he did not take graduate courses towards the completion. Most managers when they suspect someone has lied after they have already made the call to the school, would give him a last chance to prove himself (Save Face) before they process the paperwork to let him go.

Mighty Hornet, how did the school jump the gun? All he did was respond to allegations by the board, after they'd told him what they'd found. "I find it disturbing after learning from the board...." it's a natural reaction. It's not like he went on a witch hunt for something (maybe he did, we don't know). It was bought to him, and he responded accordingly.

At least he spoke with the coach, and gave him time to clear it up, I mean after asking him about it, and the answer he got was, "I've been looking into it for 6 months." I think a week is enough time, seeing that most standard applications of employment state at the end of them; any falsified information can lead to immediate termination, or reason to not employ you, or something to that affect.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in addressing the media, and confronting the problem head on, instead of letting the board leak it to the media, if they didn't already do it, and who knows what kind of circus would've been under the big tent if that would've happened.

NICE

JAGWAR said:
but I wouldn't need a WEEK to find my Master's Degree.
Hey Jagwar....you wouldnt need a week to find your degree or the check that paid for it either huh?

Too bad for Spears....if he did this, he is a bonifide idiot. Why say you have a Masters degree if the job you are applying for does not require it? Now I could ALMOST understand if that was a prerequisite.

To my understanding, Spears is not the only coach on that team with this problem. I heard a few months back that others on that roster had bloated qualifications. Maybe that was the norm before the new pres got in town.

My man aint no joke is he? Alqeda look out, yall aint the only one cutting off heads.

Get Ready said:
Hey Jagwar....you wouldnt need a week to find your degree or the check that paid for it either huh?

Too bad for Spears....if he did this, he is a bonifide idiot. Why say you have a Masters degree if the job you are applying for does not require it? Now I could ALMOST understand if that was a prerequisite.

To my understanding, Spears is not the only coach on that team with this problem. I heard a few months back that others on that roster had bloated qualifications. Maybe that was the norm before the new pres got in town.

My man aint no joke is he? Alqeda look out, yall aint the only one cutting off heads.

Here u go with your smalltime lameness........smh Crabs in a barrel I tell ya!!! GSU will rebound from this.

PsychoJag said:
Here u go with your smalltime lameness........smh Crabs in a barrel I tell ya!!! GSU will rebound from this.
Lameness??
What did GR say that hasnt already been said? Hopefully they will rebound, who said anyone missed a shot in the first place. GRs point is, and GR thinks he is right, that if you falsified information for credentials you didnt have, for a job you didnt need the credentials for, for a job you were going to get in the first damn place, after the George OLeary debacle, then you ARE a bonifide idiot. Im sure he was the only man that got a serious look at the job.

And Nice

MH has no clue what he is talking about. Why he would even comment on a president handling this situation is beyond me? Hell ASUs Pres would have sent someone to UNA with a Groucho Marx mask on to ask questions about Spears. Then he would have leaked information out to the press for the next 6 months while at the same time spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a lawyer to investigate this simple matter. GR loves him some MH, but you really have to excuse his short memory and comments on this topic.

Why do you need a week to show you have a degree. I have a BS and a MS, and it will take me about 30 minutes to go to the house and get them to show you.

Somethings smells funny here. If it smells like bullsh**, then it must be bullsh**. I think GSU should get rid of Spears. He has not honesty about him. In light of all the other coaches and ad's that have lost jobs for the same reason, he should have known better. If anything he should be fired for stupidity.

Bottom line, no matter how you would have covered it up or swept it under the rug, it woud have gotten out. And in the end Gram would have looked at lot worse in the public's eye. This is no one's fault but Spears, if it's true that he doesn't have a degree.

There really are no perfect solutions. In public relations you have to meet controversial situation head on...go to the media before they come to you. You have to develop your side and come up with the answers before they ask they questions.

Tru said something about keeping it behind closed doors. That's not a realistic answer, not in this day and time. And it's not about HBCUs getting most of the negative publicity. Having worked with the media for years, I know that they don't care where the story comes from, as long as they think it will sell papers and create more readers, then that's what they will follow. Negativity sells, positivity attracts no one. Sad, but true.

I just hope Gram can rebound from this and move forward swiftly.

(Reminding myself to call Gram SID to offer PR advice...) Cuz this will get worse before it gets better... :eek:

D-NICE said:
Mighty Hornet, how did the school jump the gun? All he did was respond to allegations by the board, after they'd told him what they'd found. "I find it disturbing after learning from the board...." it's a natural reaction. It's not like he went on a witch hunt for something (maybe he did, we don't know). It was bought to him, and he responded accordingly.

At least he spoke with the coach, and gave him time to clear it up, I mean after asking him about it, and the answer he got was, "I've been looking into it for 6 months." I think a week is enough time, seeing that most standard applications of employment state at the end of them; any falsified information can lead to immediate termination, or reason to not employ you, or something to that affect.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in addressing the media, and confronting the problem head on, instead of letting the board leak it to the media, if they didn't already do it, and who knows what kind of circus would've been under the big tent if that would've happened.
I disagree with the way it was handled.
If the Prez didn't want to give Spears the benefit of the doubt and give him a week to produce the doucment, that's well and good.
But he did give him a week. So, the Prez should have withheld his comments about the matter, until that week is out.
That's akin to your boss giving you a week to produce a report. But the next day, he goes off on a tangent about how disappointed he is that you haven't produced the report.

Get Ready said:
And Nice

MH has no clue what he is talking about. Why he would even comment on a president handling this situation is beyond me? Hell ASUs Pres would have sent someone to UNA with a Groucho Marx mask on to ask questions about Spears. Then he would have leaked information out to the press for the next 6 months while at the same time spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a lawyer to investigate this simple matter. GR loves him some MH, but you really have to excuse his short memory and comments on this topic.
Believe or not, my comments are made with the ASU investigation in my mind. If you gonna have an investigation, have one, and not some flim flam job. If you gonna give Spears a week, then give it to him, without sending out press releases before the week it out.

btw, Not ONE time, did I ever say I agreed with how that investigation at ASU was handled, so your lil spill about what ASU Pres would have done means ABSOLUTELY nothing !!!!!!!!

Get Ready said:
Lameness??
Get Ready said:

ROTF....... U iz durty durty

Back