Grambling gets letter from NCAA

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Not being arrogant, but for something that may or may not be a violation...what can they do? Nothing but be pissed off and satisfy their own ego by writing a dayum letter.

Actually they can do more:

NCAA Enforcement/Infractions

Q. Are there means to punish coaches who are involved in NCAA infractions cases?

Yes. If a current or former athletics department staff member (such as a coach) or a representative of the institution's athletics interests (booster) is found by the NCAA Committee on Infractions to have violated NCAA legislation, the committee may require action through the member institution that could affect the athletically related duties or the athletics involvement of that individual at an NCAA member institution. Under the provisions of NCAA Bylaw 19.5.2.1-(m) (a show-cause order), the Committee on Infractions has the authority to request the institution to take certain action against such individuals. If the institution elects not to take any action or the action recommended by the committee, the committee has the authority to further penalize the institution.

If an athletics department staff member is found to have been involved in a significant violation, the committee could require that the institution take certain disciplinary actions against the individual that could affect the individual's athletically related duties at the institution. If the individual is employed at a second NCAA member institution, the committee may request the second member institution to take such actions, even though the second institution was not involved in the violations.

The NCAA is overreaching on this and they know it. Nothing will happen with this. All they are trying to do is send a message to the smaller schools and HBCU's in particular (because they know that some of the kids the big schools go after feel like "they can always go home" if things don't work out) warning them not to entice their athletes away in no way, shape, or form. If the athletes want to leave on their own or after the big schools tell them they no longer fit into their plans, then fine; but otherwise, hands off. That's all that's going on here.

Whether or not Doug's "joking" around with the media was advisable or not is debatable. The message has been sent and this will fade away.

Regards.

I am not surprise to see the ncaa come knocking on Dumb Doug (GSU) door. What you fail to realize is that they have the same power as the IRS. The nc azz, will be looking into every inch of the athletic dept. Some rumors I heard from guys at the barber shop is GSU football program isn't windex clean. The ncaa policy is if there is smoke, we will find a fire. Don't get caught. Besides it's no different than talking to other teams players at night at gas station. dang. Go Doug, It's your mistake. What you have done is kill any chance of moving to D1a. You know how we are judge. Remember, they still haven't gotten over "QUARTERBLACK" and now publicly trying to steal a top
(slave/ my bad money maker) from the big boys(ohio st). I say strike two on Doug and GSU...:(

Originally posted by GJOHN
Remember, they still haven't gotten over "QUARTERBLACK" and now publicly trying to steal a top
(slave/ my bad money maker) from the big boys(ohio st). I say strike two on Doug and GSU...:(

Strike 2? What was strike one? And the book Quarterblack had nothing to do with with NCAA, so how is it that they haven't gotten over it.

Re: Maybe this had something to do with it...

Originally posted by kellis
Press conference

From the USA TODAY on 9-9-2003

Grambling coach Doug Williams expresses interest in Clarett
GRAMBLING, La. (AP) ? Grambling coach Doug Williams carried a No. 13 jersey into his news conference on Tuesday, not hiding his interest in having Maurice Clarett transfer to the Division I-AA school.
"That's what he would wear," Williams joked. "Isn't that what most of the questions will be about?"

The news conference was dominated by questions about Clarett, but Williams said no one at the school had spoken to the suspended running back from Ohio State.

"We could use him," Williams said.

Clarett was charged Tuesday with lying about items stolen from his car, and Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said the school is ready to cut ties with the sophomore.

Tressel said he does not expect Clarett to return this season to the defending national champion Buckeyes. He would recommend that Clarett be released from his scholarship if the request was made by the player.

Clarett has been suspended indefinitely from the team, and is also being investigated by the NCAA.

If Clarett transferred to another Division I-A school, he would have to sit out one year in addition to any suspension or ineligibility handed down by the NCAA. He could transfer to a Division I-AA, II or III program and immediately be eligible to play after the possible penalties.

Hall of Famer Jim Brown, an adviser to Clarett's family, said last weekend he would encourage Clarett to transfer to Grambling should he be released by Ohio State.

Williams didn't have any more information about the possible move, but said he met with his staff to discuss the possibility of having the talented running back join the Tigers.

NCAA spokeswoman Kay Hawes would not speak about the Clarett case, but did say that if a suspended or ineligible player transferred, the athlete's new school would first have to declare him ineligible, and would then seek his reinstatement through the organization.

Grambling has won two straight Southwestern Athletic Conference titles with a wide-open offense directed by quarterback Bruce Eugene, the reigning conference player of the year.

"It would alter our offense to more of a running attack," Williams said, "and would take some pressure off of Bruce Eugene. It would give us a chance to win a fourth straight."

Thanks Kellis. Now looking at those comments, if Doug didn't cross the line he came very close. But still to me it's not a big deal. I honestly don't think the NCAA is doing much more than posturing.

G John: I don't know what warrants the Dumb Doug comment...especially since some of us were trying to have an intelligent discussion. Now some of what you said had some validity to it. Especially the part about the NCAA being forever watchful for possible violations. However, I don't think they do so merely on the basis of race. It is just a case of the NCAA loving to flex their muscle.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the Barbershop talk. Most of those guys have never been to Grambling and know about as much about football as I do about cutting a bald fade. They get bits and pieces of information from "someone who heard another cat say that he was told by somebody" that Grambling is gonna be investigated for signing so many players.

I can tell all of you that Grambling is able to sign so many players because of the name recognition of #1. Grambling (Eddie Robinson) #2 Doug William's MVP of the Superbowl (parents remember) #3 Good Facilities...our weight room and stadium is one of the best in DIAA #4 Playing time (Doug plays youngsters...if you can play, then you play)!

Q, if you are not free to go when being mistreated, mishandle, and misunderstood then, what are you.... Free isn't in the equation...Your rights and services are control by someone who feel they must punish you...

Originally posted by GJOHN
Q, if you are not free to go when being mistreated, mishandle, and misunderstood then, what are you.... Free isn't in the equation...Your rights and services are control by someone who feel they must punish you...

Exactly who isn't free to go anywhere? Football players aren't free? They can't transfer if they want to? They can't quit if they want to? They aren't being given room, board, books, and tuition? When they are hurt, they are mandated to play? They are given the opportunity to have a career as a professional athelete or some other profession of their choosing? I'm still trying to understand how that eqauls being a "top slave"!

What rights and services are under someone elses control? If we are talking about Clarett, the NCAA didn't just pick on Clarett.. HE brought this all on himself. HE violated the rules, and HE got caught. Now HE is paying the price for his actions. he is not some victim who is being controled, and his rights aren't being violated by the NCAA or OSU. What ever happened to personal responsibility!

All this for holding up a jersey with the number "13" on it? Give me a break! I wish that the d@mned NCAA could be put on probation!! They are beginning to remind me of the L. A. Police Dept.....wanting to bully any and everybody for insignificant bull****!!

There are college programs getting away with murder....LITERALLY, and they are attempting to make a case out of something as trivial as this.....

:smh:

As for the multiple signing thing...there is no rule against the number of athletes you can sign. There is a limit to the number of scholarships you can have. If a coach can convince 100 signees to share 25 scholarships...then ain't isht the NCAA do but scratch it's head and twiddle it's thumbs.

Okay...Next!

Mike,

Actually, in I-AA you can divide your 63 scholarships between a maximum of 85 players.....

Originally posted by Dr. Mac
The NCAA is overreaching on this and they know it. Nothing will happen with this. All they are trying to do is send a message to the smaller schools and HBCU's in particular (because they know that some of the kids the big schools go after feel like "they can always go home" if things don't work out) warning them not to entice their athletes away in no way, shape, or form. If the athletes want to leave on their own or after the big schools tell them they no longer fit into their plans, then fine; but otherwise, hands off. That's all that's going on here.

Whether or not Doug's "joking" around with the media was advisable or not is debatable. The message has been sent and this will fade away.

Regards.

I don't think it has anything to do with that, doug open his mouth at the wrong time and the jersey was pushing the envelope,now it's pushing back.

Bluedog

?But that being said as long as he didn't contact him i don't think there's anything they can do, at least not for that. ?

I maybe incorrect, but if I remember the article ?correctly? Jim Brown acted as an agent for Clarett, he contacted Harris, [contacted Doug], some talk took place on the possibility of the transfer. I am not an attorney, but technically Doug was in contact with Clarett, via Harris & Brown, which is a NCAA violation.

Legal Opinion Anyone

Originally posted by Dr. H
Bluedog

?But that being said as long as he didn't contact him i don't think there's anything they can do, at least not for that. ?

I maybe incorrect, but if I remember the article ?correctly? Jim Brown acted as an agent for Clarett, he contacted Harris, [contacted Doug], some talk took place on the possibility of the transfer. I am not an attorney, but technically Doug was in contact with Clarett, via Harris & Brown, which is a NCAA violation.

Legal Opinion Anyone

H,

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think that qualifies as "contact." From my understanding, Jim Brown suggested to Clarett and his family that Maurice CONSIDER transferring to Grambling. I never heard anything that sounded like there was actual conversation between Doug and Clarett, or anyone in his family. I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Dr. H
Bluedog

Legal Opinion Anyone

Actually ohio state coach/AD i can't rememeber which, say themselves that as long as he doesn't contact him there should be a problem. But that doesn't stop the Ncaa from boeing up on you.

I hope the dummies comment wasn't intended for Doug Williams. I don't see where anything he did was dumb at all. It was really a case of a coach sharing a laugh with the local media. No matter how the NCAA tries to spin it, that's what happened. I'm sure what he said was recorded...unless he said the jersey was for Clarett, they can send letters out the azz!

Some coaches are not intimidated by the NCAA. As a matter of fact, Doug Williams is not intimidated by hardly anything. That pisses some people off. A lot of folk feel that Doug needs to be more "diplomatic" or "politically correct". Whatever! Dude has his own personality and as long as he doesn't publicly embarass Grambling...have at it!

I 100% agree!

Originally posted by bluedog
I don't think it has anything to do with that, doug open his mouth at the wrong time and the jersey was pushing the envelope,now it's pushing back.

The "illegal contact" purpose is the essence of the whole thing, i.e., the perception of luring or enticing a player from another team. In this case, the NCAA is overstepping and a big reason is because of the big school/small school thing I mentioned in the previous post. Ohio State, the Big Ten and all the BCS conferences are going to do what they can to protect their turf. The NCAA is run by them. They got their grip around HBCU's, and the smaller school's necks with regard to getting recruits and they want to keep it that way. It's not just about now but retaining that recruiting advantage and status for the future. This is clearly a case of "keep them in their place."

Would it have been wise for Doug to keep his mouth close and not flash the jersey; probably yes. But given the nature of the whole incident and in light of Ohio State saying that Clarret could leave if he wanted to, the NCAA should consider this as "message sent" and let it go.

Regards.

The "illegal contact" purpose is the essence of the whole thing, i.e., the perception of luring or enticing a player from another team. In this case, the NCAA is overstepping and a big reason is because of the big school/small school thing I mentioned in the previous post. Ohio State, the Big Ten and all the BCS conferences are going to do what they can to protect their turf. The NCAA is run by them. They got their grip around HBCU's, and the smaller school's necks with regard to getting recruits and they want to keep it that way. It's not just about now but retaining that recruiting advantage and status for the future. This is clearly a case of "keep them in their place."

Would it have been wise for Doug to keep his mouth close and not flash the jersey; probably yes. But given the nature of the whole incident and in light of Ohio State saying that Clarret could leave if he wanted to, the NCAA should consider this as "message sent" and let it go.

Regards.

I agree, you may not know it but nick saban has been trippin like that also here with us.

From what I hear, Andy Geiger, the OSU A.D., is a bigger problem than the media is saying. After all school had a lot of confusing messages on his status last month. Maybe the media should look at the actions of Geiger more closely than they are doing.

As for Williams, he may have come up to the line but may not have crossed it. Here is a word to the wise. Know the rules and watch what you say. As for the NCAA, this is to be expected.

Someone posted this on another message board. Why are there so many questions about how much was stolen from the vehicle instead of how Clarett got the vehicle in the first place?

Hhhhmmmmmmmm......

So many people on here keep

hollering about opportunities at the Div 1A level. Doug if anybody knows its not worth Leaving GSU to go to the 1A level considering whats happened to the others that did. Actually I think Doug is in the best situation now, money is not always a motivator to go somewhere else for a year or two. Doug is a carbon copy of Eddie G Robinson, who was offered many opportunities but, realized that opportunity does not mean security. Doug Know that Willingham and others are only one losing season away from looking for a job. Doug will build a 1A program at Grambling. The payoff for Doug Williams comes later and the GSU family will make sure hes compensated for job well done. I never heard Doug say he was looking for a 1A position, I did hear him say he would listen to what was offered and see if the opportunity was worth making a move. Coaching a 1A team and losing and ultimately ending up, back in Louisiana, how fullfilling does that sound. I bet he will do a lot of soul searching, if that opportunity ever happens in the first place.

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
JR,

Help me understand this, what does Doug bringing the Jersey to the press conference have to do with coaching on the 1-A level. What does one thing have to do with the other?

SOG,
Doug is not polished. You need more than coaching ability to work on the 1A level. Especially if you are an African American. That stunt he pulled reminded me of the stuff Archie Cooley used to do. We got to stop all this monkey shine stuff.

If Ty Willingham was at GSU he wouldn't have done that. If Fitz Hill was at Gram, he wouldn't have done that. Even as outspoken as Dennis Green is. He wouldn't have done that. It was not a smart move. Those 1A schools who may be interested in Doug will not like that kind of behavior and that will cause some of them to not hire you. Maybe I am just speaking as a former African American Officer in the Navy and understand how you can't be as good as them, but better than them and have to be polished with your public speaking skills and have some sense of what is appropriate to say or do. Doug does not show that in front of the camera. Remember I posted before that Doug does not have the tact, style and polish that Coach Rob did. It goes along way for (us) to have when you aspire to have those coveted big time jobs.

Now do you understand? This was no smack. I actually like Doug and wish him well. But sometimes he just does not think before he gets in front of a camera or the media. You can't be that way.

I think a lot of you are missing one key point. No where has it been stated that Doug Williams has contacted a Division IA program about an opening. Instead it has been those institution that contacted him about an interview. He owes it to himself and other coaches (Black and White) on the Division IAA level to go for these interviews.

He may never go, but it gives him insight into the interview process. I'm sure that he would willingly share his experiences with his contemporaries. Someday it's going to happen. Maybe not for Doug Williams but for someone. At least it let's other coaches know that they are looking to make the move. Just as importantly, it tells current athletes and former players that the opportunity is at least being discussed. It may be a small thing but that at least is a start.

Personally, I think Doug's objective is build upon the reputation of Grambling and other HBCU's. These interviews not only open the door for coaching opportunities, but also allow them to open dialogue about possible games against some of these programs. For that, I think he is doing a service to his profession and his coaching brethren.

Some AP pieces are posted, but these are the original, complete reports on NCAA &amp

NCAA investigates GSU's comments about Clarett
September 25, 2003

GRAMBLING - Troubled football star Maurice Clarett apparently won't be coming to Grambling State University, but the NCAA could be.

Rest is at this link: http://www.thenewsstar.com/sports/html/F5F41EA6-59B7-44F3-962A-E1A5CE36B03D.shtml
... includes comments, transcript of news conference referenced in NCAA letter, the original story also mentioned by NCAA, the complete wording of the inquiry and every other story written by the Monroe paper about Clarett and Grambling.
And here also is the latest story ... with information on what possible punishment could be involved, and more comments from GSU on Jerseygate ( :) ):
GRAMBLING - While the NCAA apparently views the event as "isolated or inadvertent" - and, thus, not as serious - Grambling State coach Doug Williams still can't believe he got in trouble over a jersey.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association has begun an inquiry into possible "indirect contact" with Maurice Clarett at GSU.

The NCAA specifically mentioned a news conference - part of which later aired nationally on ESPN - where Williams entered carrying a Grambling State jersey with the suspended Ohio State runner's number on it.

"What," Williams said, "is 'indirectly contacting' someone? If I had talked to (Clarett family adviser) Jim Brown and said: 'We want him.' That's contacting him. But holding up a jersey? Something is wrong with this picture."

Link: http://www.thenewsstar.com/sports/html/48749172-91D8-40FC-8914-2DC810289915.shtml

Please support the people who write about HBCUs by linking back to their original work! If the writers' bosses don't see hits on their Web sites, they don't know that these stories are important to fans like you.

Here's why the Ncaa is on GSU's Jock

13.1.1.3 Four-Year College Prospects
An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution?s athletics interests shall not make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA or NAIA four-year collegiate institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written permission of the first institution?s athletics director (or an athletics administrator designated by the athletics director) to do so, regardless of who makes the initial contact. If permission is not granted, the second institution shall not encourage the transfer and the institution shall not provide financial assistance to the student-athlete until the student-athlete has attended the second institution for one academic year. If permission is granted to contact the student-athlete, all applicable NCAA recruiting rules apply. (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/16/93, 1/11/94, 4/26/01)

Associated Enforcement Cases

list of schools who already committed this infraction in the pass

Matching Major Infraction Cases

Sel Date Institution Facts Summary

1. Jun 20, 2001 New Mexico State University Improper arrangements for future employment of a junior college coach as an assistant men's basketball coach; academic fraud; unethical conduct; extra benefits and violations of recruiting and transfer eligibility legislation. [ASSISTANT MEN'S BASKETBALL COACH'S SHOW-CAUSE VACATED BY APPEAL]

2. Jun 01, 2000 California State University, Northridge Recruiting, Extra Benefits, Ethical Conduct, Financial Aid and Lack of Institutional Control.

3. Jan 05, 2000 Tennessee State University Financial Aid, Recruiting, Extra Benefits, Lack of Institutional Control and Ethical Conduct.

4. Jul 31, 1997 Grambling State University Impermissible recruiting contacts; impermissible observation of tryouts and out-of-season practices; improper particpation by two ineligible student-athletes; lack of institutional control.

5. Jul 12, 1994 University of Washington Athletics representatives provided excessive wages; improper recruiting inducements and contact; lack of institutional control.

6. Nov 09, 1993 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University Unethical conduct; improper recruiting; improper expenses for ineligible student-athlete; extra benefits.

7. Mar 27, 1991 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Extra benefits; improper and excessive financial aid; impermissible recruiting; ineligible graduate assistant coaches; lack of institutional control.

8. Nov 10, 1988 Arizona State University Improper financial aid; extra benefits consisting of money, transportation and lodging; false qualifying time provided for championship.
Found 8 Major Infraction Cases

Results on that infraction

Major Infractions Cases

Institution: Grambling State University
Date: 31-JUL-97

Facts Summary: Impermissible recruiting contacts; impermissible observation of tryouts and out-of-season practices; improper particpation by two ineligible student-athletes; lack of institutional control.

Violation Summary: IMPERMISSIBLE RECRUITING AND PLAYING SEASONS: impermissible recruiting contact with transfer student-athletes; impermissible observation of tryouts and out-of-season practices by football coaching staff members; improper skill instruction and recruiting materials provided to prospective student-athletes by a football coach; improper recruiting contact during an evaluation period. ACADEMIC ELIGIBILITY: improper participation by two ineligible basketball student-athletes. LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL.

Penalty Summary: FOOTBALL: limit of two coaches who may recruit off campus until 12/31/97; reduction from 56 to 50 official visits for 1997-98; assistant football coach must attend NCAA regional compliance seminar in spring of 1998. MEN'S BASKETBALL: forfeiture of three games won by the institution in which an ineligible student-athlete participated during 1993. WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: forfeiture of all games in which an ineligible student-athlete participated during 1993-94 and 1995-96. Head and assistant coaches must attend intensive rules education sessions with the institution's compliance director; annual reports; recertification.

Regards.

I agree with Dr. Mac. I think the whole thing is been blown out of proportion and nothing will come of it. The letter is just a warning to I-AA schools (not necessarily just HBCU's) that they better be careful not to initiate contacts with I-A athletes looking to transfer. I think Texas St. (SWT) also had such an incident this summer.

Maybe this has been asked already, but someone tell me.......

1. What connection does Jim Brown have with Grambling? Isn't he the one who first mention Clarret would do well to go to Grambling?

2. Why would Doug Williams have a press conference holding a '13' jersey, if there had been NO contact with Clarrett, or anybody else(for that matter)????

3. Where's Grambling's AD in all of this? Shouldn't Doug have gotten the AD's permission to hold a press conference??? Or is the AD waving an 'I want Clarrett' sign too.......

:smh::confused:

Back