Grambling gets letter from NCAA

Prop 48 program better watch out.......no more classes of 40 kids...

seriously, you don't go out publicly and even joke about that. It doesn't take much for the big folks in Indy to start looking at you.

Originally posted by Blu Panther
Prop 48 program better watch out.......no more classes of 40 kids...

seriously, you don't go out publicly and even joke about that. It doesn't take much for the big folks in Indy to start looking at you.

BP, you hit the nail on the head. Doug should have just kept quiet about the Clarett situation and probably should have told Jim Brown and James Harris to not say anything about GSU and Clarett transferring. I thought his bringing a jersey to that media deal was not a good idea. He needs some polish if he thinks he will coach on the 1A level. Doug has to learn that the big boys don't want to hear that kind of isht. Sometimes "No Comment" is the best policy. All it takes is for the NCAA to start nosing around your program and they are bound to find something if they look hard enough. It may be trivial, but when it comes to us aint nothing trivial. We (HBCUs) are not Alabama and Auburn who get slaps on the wrist.

I can hear Ohio State AD and prez when they heard the Grambling comments by Brown and then Doug with the jersey deal. You know damn well they were like who ufck does he think he is and lets call the NCAA. This will blow over though. Doug just needs to think before he speaks to the media sometimes. They don't have his best interest at heart.

WHen I first saw him with that jersey, tampering jumped in my mind. Whether it was just a coincidence at all, you don't joke about another schools player coming to your school no matter what rumors are said to be spread out. So I'm not suprised at all about a NCAA letter being sent about the incident at all. They opened those floodgates themselves. They should have just sat back and let the circus pass them by and not get involved. They were being used by name only and should have seen it coming.

Posted By Fiyah

WHen I first saw him with that jersey, tampering jumped in my mind. Whether it was just a coincidence at all, you don't joke about another schools player coming to your school no matter what rumors are said to be spread out. So I'm not suprised at all about a NCAA letter being sent about the incident at all. They opened those floodgates themselves. They should have just sat back and let the circus pass them by and not get involved. They were being used by name only and should have seen it coming.

Unfortunately I agree. It was a violation for coach to hold up the jersey with his name on it. Compliance should have been on that.

Holding up the jersey (joke or not) wasn't a good idea. But I don't recall seeing Clarett's name on the jersey. According to Doug's interview on Best Damn Sports...he commented something to the effect that (I'm paraphrasing) "I know what yall wanna talk about, but I already have a #13 on my team".

Of course the NCAA can investigate but what can they do? We don't go to a bowl game? If they try to suspend us from competing, every Civil Rights attorney in America will expose them for being a Gestapo organization. If they try to make us ineligible for the SWAC championship that would also be challenged.

Not being arrogant, but for something that may or may not be a violation...what can they do? Nothing but be pissed off and satisfy their own ego by writing a dayum letter.

Mike, you may have missed the point. I think you need to teach Doug a little more about certain things that you do and things that you dont.

MikeBigg,

I don't recall seeing Clarett's name on the jersey, either. And I don't think the NCAA will do anything to Gram. But if they decided to put Gram on probation for what they perceive as a violation, ain't no civil rights attorney or anyone else gone save Gram from it.

Originally posted by JR
I thought his bringing a jersey to that media deal was not a good idea. He needs some polish if he thinks he will coach on the 1A level.

JR,

Help me understand this, what does Doug bringing the Jersey to the press conference have to do with coaching on the 1-A level. What does one thing have to do with the other?

Originally posted by Robber
MikeBigg,

I don't recall seeing Clarett's name on the jersey, either. And I don't think the NCAA will do anything to Gram. But if they decided to put Gram on probation for what they perceive as a violation, ain't no civil rights attorney or anyone else gone save Gram from it.

Exactly, this doesn't have a damn thing to do with civil rights, more like Ncaa for dummies rights 101.

But that being said as long as he didn't contact him i don't think there's anything they can do, at least not for that. I think they're just putting him on notice.

Bean,

Take Grambling out of the equation...forget that it's Doug Williams for a minute. Ok, now what's wrong with having a #13 jersey in his possession. Unless he stated that " I have this jersey for Clarett, they have nothing to stand on. Please let the NCAA azz up and put Grambling on probation. We could use the money from a lawsuit.

The NCAA merely has to write this letter to satisfy their egos and the possible whinings of Ohio State's AD or some other nitpicking institution. We enjoy the free publicity from all of this... The NCAA can come and check for whatever they deem needs to be checked. Just make sure they don't screw up and snoop around without letting us know they are there. That, they cannot do!

As for the multiple signing thing...there is no rule against the number of athletes you can sign. There is a limit to the number of scholarships you can have. If a coach can convince 100 signees to share 25 scholarships...then ain't isht the NCAA do but scratch it's head and twiddle it's thumbs.

Okay...Next!

Originally posted by bluedog
Exactly, this doesn't have a damn thing to do with civil rights, more like Ncaa for dummies rights 101.

But that being said as long as he didn't contact him i don't think there's aything they can do at least not for that, i think they're just putting him on notice.

I hope the dummies comment wasn't intended for Doug Williams. I don't see where anything he did was dumb at all. It was really a case of a coach sharing a laugh with the local media. No matter how the NCAA tries to spin it, that's what happened. I'm sure what he said was recorded...unless he said the jersey was for Clarett, they can send letters out the azz!

Some coaches are not intimidated by the NCAA. As a matter of fact, Doug Williams is not intimidated by hardly anything. That pisses some people off. A lot of folk feel that Doug needs to be more "diplomatic" or "politically correct". Whatever! Dude has his own personality and as long as he doesn't publicly embarass Grambling...have at it!

Originally posted by MikeBigg
I hope the dummies comment wasn't intended for Doug Williams.

Yes it was, sometimes it's best to say nothing, hell he already had(suppose to away) harris and brown working for him so just keep your mouth shut, like someone else said we aren't AU.

I don't see where anything he did was dumb at all. It was really a case of a coach sharing a laugh with the local media. No matter how the NCAA tries to spin it, that's what happened. I'm sure what he said was recorded...unless he said the jersey was for Clarett, they can send letters out the azz!

Some coaches are not intimidated by the NCAA. As a matter of fact, Doug Williams is not intimidated by hardly anything. That pisses some people off. A lot of folk feel that Doug needs to be more "diplomatic" or "politically correct". Whatever! Dude has his own personality and as long as he doesn't publicly embarass Grambling...have at it!

The rest i agree with

MikeB, I understand what you are saying, but just like JR said. You dont want the NCAA snooping around your trash cans. Because they will find something to hang you on. Doug should have just let sleeping dogs lie, cause now they will be searching through Grams stuff with a fine tooth comb. Why will you bring a #13 jersey to a media conference anyway? I mean, look at all the other schools that may have been considered. You didnt see any of them carrying a #13 jersey to their press conference. Say GR, can I use the "C" word here? :confused:

Let's be realistic. Doug didn't feel that Clarett was going to come to Grambling. If he did/does fine...if not, we've won Championships without him. By the same token, the NCAA can't "stop" him from coming to Grambling. Ohio State can deny him his release but I don't think that's likely. If they did that, Clarett would probably start talking about things that they really don't want talked about.

I still feel that it is grandstanding on the part of the NCAA. Not a whole lot they can do besides that. This is not something that could get Grambling the so-called "Death Penalty" and we don't participate in the football playoffs. So again, tell me WTF can they do?

This is not something that could get Grambling the so-called "Death Penalty" and we don't participate in the football playoffs. So again, tell me WTF can they do?

This is what Im talking about. They may not get you for this, but they may come back with something else. This little stunt/joke may have the dogs ears standing straight up now and they could be on alert of any suspicious activity. And that is the last thing you want. Someone rambling through your trash looking for something.

Maybe this had something to do with it...

Press conference

From the USA TODAY on 9-9-2003

Grambling coach Doug Williams expresses interest in Clarett
GRAMBLING, La. (AP) ? Grambling coach Doug Williams carried a No. 13 jersey into his news conference on Tuesday, not hiding his interest in having Maurice Clarett transfer to the Division I-AA school.
"That's what he would wear," Williams joked. "Isn't that what most of the questions will be about?"

The news conference was dominated by questions about Clarett, but Williams said no one at the school had spoken to the suspended running back from Ohio State.

"We could use him," Williams said.

Clarett was charged Tuesday with lying about items stolen from his car, and Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said the school is ready to cut ties with the sophomore.

Tressel said he does not expect Clarett to return this season to the defending national champion Buckeyes. He would recommend that Clarett be released from his scholarship if the request was made by the player.

Clarett has been suspended indefinitely from the team, and is also being investigated by the NCAA.

If Clarett transferred to another Division I-A school, he would have to sit out one year in addition to any suspension or ineligibility handed down by the NCAA. He could transfer to a Division I-AA, II or III program and immediately be eligible to play after the possible penalties.

Hall of Famer Jim Brown, an adviser to Clarett's family, said last weekend he would encourage Clarett to transfer to Grambling should he be released by Ohio State.

Williams didn't have any more information about the possible move, but said he met with his staff to discuss the possibility of having the talented running back join the Tigers.

NCAA spokeswoman Kay Hawes would not speak about the Clarett case, but did say that if a suspended or ineligible player transferred, the athlete's new school would first have to declare him ineligible, and would then seek his reinstatement through the organization.

Grambling has won two straight Southwestern Athletic Conference titles with a wide-open offense directed by quarterback Bruce Eugene, the reigning conference player of the year.

"It would alter our offense to more of a running attack," Williams said, "and would take some pressure off of Bruce Eugene. It would give us a chance to win a fourth straight."

Re: Maybe this had something to do with it...

Unless he stated that " I have this jersey for Clarett, they have nothing to stand on.

Originally posted by kellis
Grambling coach Doug Williams carried a No. 13 jersey into his news conference on Tuesday, not hiding his interest in having Maurice Clarett transfer to the Division I-AA school.
"That's what he would wear," Williams joked.

Hmmm.........interesting.

I'm a little lost...

....but what does the number of players that Grambling signs each year have to do with this letter from the NCAA. I just read the story twice thinking that I somehow overlooked something. But I still didn't see anything in refernce to the number of players that GSU signs each fall. Why are you people trying to create controversy and find fault with the Grambling program.

Furthermore, so what if the NCAA is snooping around. By many of your comments, there is already this assumption that we are somehow doing something wrong. Why is that the assumption? Because we are winning? Because we are on top, and no one can win without cheating?man I see once again that you people don't have a clue. Man we aren't BCF big boys with several thousand alumni with deep pockets. We are 1-AA pragrams with maybe several hundred alumni with deep pockets. But most of that is not making its way to the players. Sometimes yall take yourselves just a bit too seriously when it comes to where we stand in the collge football world.

And lastly. Did Doug make a mistake in bringing the jersey out. Possibly. Can you consider that indirect contact, yes. But that is the part of the rule that is open for interpretation. Now if the jersey had his name on the back as so many people have rumored(which isn't true) then there would be no question. But Doug did mention that we "already have a #13", but that portion of the interview didn't and wouldn't make the papers or the television.

Back