Gold Teeth in Memphis TN

UAPB-LIONS-AM&N said:
Hayes Street in Fayetteville smells just like ....
East St. Louis is the only place in America I am scared to go.
Memphis is predominantly black and it shows....and the mayor!!!!!!

now you are going to leave big willie out of this. as my mayor said on tuesday.......you don't like it in memphis.......LEAVE, BYE :mrt: memphis is no different from any other urban city. truth be told....most cities with a majority black population is going to the pits and the black people who can, just move out to the counties. there are still many decent black neighborhoods in the city of memphis.

I do look forward to the day that the "teeth" phase passes, and most will toss them in the trash. I guess the extreme body art is a different story.

LMBH, I don't think the phase is going to ever leave.

As a teen growing in New Orleans some 20 years ago, I almost got some "slugs" (New Orleans term for gold teeth), my 9th grade Alegabra I teacher Mrs. E.B. Lewis (God bless her) stopped me from doing it. She pointed out all of the negatives associated with slugs (at least to the kids she thought were going somewhere) and how they will hurt my future, I had second thoughts, and ultimately didn't get them.

My cousins, and friends had already had theirs, and I was well on my way, got fitted for them and everything, and on the day of getting them, she overheard me bragging, and came at me in a way nobody had ever done.

To this day I'm thankful for Mrs. Lewis, because I'd be walking around with false teeth right now. However, since that time, slugs have exploded. At that time it was 1, or 2, but now, you need your whole mouth done. Some have gone so far as to get platinum teeth, with diamonds in their mouthes.

I remember kids in New Orleans, and it still happens now, that would work just to get them. They literally spend their entire checks on slugs, and after they get the work done, then it's get a car, and buy clothes, but the teeth came first.

I don't know how it is Memphis, Miami, or any other city where slugs are a big part of urban life, but in New Orleans as long as there seen as the status quo, they're not going anywhere.

The funny thing is, you have people coming from Tennessee, and Arkansas to get their teeth done. Before slugs took off, the dentist office on First & (S.) Claiborne was a legitimate dental office, a place where poor blacks could go to get the proper oral maintenace done, but now it's all slugs, and the office stays full. You may wait an entire month before you can get an appointement to get in. Sad, but true. They would rather get gold, or platinum teeth, before getting their teeth cleaned, and holes filled.

NICE

Thank you D-Nice,
I work at a high school and have seen a growing number of mostly young men with the gold and platinum teeth, but they are removable. Are you saying for the most part that many of the young people have gotten permanent dental work? The gold fad has come and gone for probably near a century and so have tatoos. However, it does seem that both have gone to more of an excess.

Yes LMBH, that's exactly what I'm saying. I can't speak for other cities, but as far as New Orleanians go, they're permanent. Very few people in New Orleans get the "caps" (the removable teeth), and if you get caps, you'll definitely be "stun'en".

NICE

Man D-Nice you have taken me way back to high school. I can remember kids in school wanting to get a gold tooth for birthday gifts or graduation gifts. I was never wanted one and I'm glad. I now know people that have had to go back to the dentist to have the gold teeth removed and replaced with false teeth.

jag4life said:
Never been to New Orleans, I see...lol

I'm from New Orleans and I agree with you totally! There is no way you would have left New Orleans off of that list if you've been there.

Back