Front Page?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Da_Sperm

I was being sarcastic (msp), but actually shortly after Dante Wesley was drafted, there was a story on the front page about some SWAC player signing a free agent contract in football or overseas basketball.

I had corrected myself, it was football. Like I said in my earlier post, our SID doesn't give you the info, so we gets no play. I ain't mad. But that article does say the story was written by 'TSPN News Service'.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Dtown Jag
SU's SID has not returned home from the Basketball game in San Francisco, CA but he will get something to Kenn to post on this board ASAP concerning the BC.

So Southernites, stay tuned to the front page.

Thanks for starting this thread BgJag. :tup:

Dtown, doesn't Grambling have a SID/athletics department?

Re: Re: Okay Kenn...

Originally posted by Kenn Rashad
I did not get a conference report from the SWAC office, nor did I get one from the GSU or SU SIDs. So there was nothing to publish.

Originally posted by kellis

Dtown, doesn't Grambling have a SID/athletics department?

ugh, I think it'd be safe to say yes but I guess their SID didn't get them any info, or if he/she did, it was not published for whatever reason(s).

Originally posted by Da_Sperm

Ewww, what ya trying to say?

Sperm, I am wondering why Southern's SID has to send the info. We didn't play in the Bayou Classic alone, but from the score......let me stop. :eek: :eek:

From reading Kenn's response, I guess Grambling's SID was too pissed to write a press release. **shrugs shoulders**

Originally posted by kellis

Sperm, I am wondering why Southern's SID has to send the info. We didn't play in the Bayou Classic alone, but from the score......let me stop. :eek: :eek:

U shole is right:nod:

Just stay tuned.

MORE BACK PAGE ARTICLES...

Opelousas pair sparks Southern
Louisiana Gannett News
Posted on December 2, 2002
NEW ORLEANS - Southern University maintains its reputation as Opelousas High School East. Since the 1990s, a long string of former OHS and Opelousas-area players have helped the Jaguars football team become one of Division I-AA's toughest teams.

The St. Landry Parish natives kept the tradition alive Saturday as Southern whipped Grambling 48-24 in Bayou Classic XXIX in the Louisiana Superdome.

Jaguars starting quarterback Quincy Richard, a junior and OHS alum, was the game's Most Valuable Player with three touchdown passes and one rushing score.

Richard was 21-of-36 passing for 242 yards with two interceptions. Senior receiver Michael Hayes, a 1997 graduate of OHS, was his favorite target with six catches for 72 yards and a score.

Al'Trevion Joubert, a senior from Northwest High School, contributed 62 yards and a touchdown on four receptions.

Richard summed up the effort of the locals and the entire team with one word.

"Execution," Richard said. "We just executed and came out ready to play. We did what we did in practice all week. We had fun and played football.

"The plan was to just get a win. However you can get it, get it. Do what you do best and have fun.

"I was kind of frustrated early in the season and I wanted to end it in a good way. I wanted the seniors to have a good showing and send them out on a good note."

The good note started early when Richard threw a 25-yard pass to Hayes that put Southern ahead 12-0 in the second quarter. Richard hit Joubert from 53 yards out on the first play of the third quarter to stretch the Jaguar advantage to 19-3.

Richard kept piling on the points with a 6-yard toss to Leon Miller with 18 seconds left in the third. Richard's 2-yard run with 9:50 to go in the game had the Jaguars in front 41-18.

"We've been on the other side of the Classic," Richard said. " We've been down by a lot, had a transition and came back. We couldn't let that happen this year. So we kept scoring points."

Southern head coach Pete Richardson hopes Richard's MVP performance carries over to his senior season in 2003.

"Because of injuries, Quincy hadn't been starting a long time," Richardson said. "This year, he opened up the season, got hurt and was inconsistent.

"But he's made plays and he's going to learn. He's a very intelligent individual. When we get our offensive line intact, he can do a very good job for us."

Joubert felt he did a good job in his last game at Southern. The senior receiver entered the game as the team's second-leading receiver with 45 catches for 453 yards and three touchdowns in 11 games.

"This was my first time scoring in the Bayou Classic," Joubert said. "I'm happy about the way I scored. It was just a short route and I ran it in. I'm just happy and all smiles."

Hayes shared the smiles with six receptions for 72 yards and a score.

"This is one of the best all-around football games I've ever been a part of," Hayes said. "Offensively, defensively, special teams, we made plays all over the place.

"They're already going to the SWAC championship and we had nothing to lose. We played loose and we attacked."

As a standout senior, Hayes hopes to continue attacking and playing loose as a professional in the NFL.

Hayes entered the Bayou Classic as an All-American candidate with 3,019 career receiving yards and 29 touchdowns on 205 catches. Hayes played as a freshman at LSU before transferring to Southern two weeks after the 1999 season opener.

Hayes established his presence with 56 catches for 828 yards and six TDs. He averaged 14.8 yards per catch as Southern won the inaugural SWAC Championship Game.

Hayes hopes the statistics keep coming.

"I'm going to enjoy this victory, then take a couple of days off and heal a few bruises. Then, I'm right back to work.

"I'm going to do my part and work hard. I'll let things happen and let the chips fall where they may."

Whatever happens, Hayes will miss playing with Richard, Joubert and his other teammates from Opelousas High East.

"We play ball together. We live together. We go home together," Hayes said.

"Anytime you're around the same people that much, for so many years, you know you're going to miss them. But I'll always be in touch and I'm sure we'll keep our friendship going."

Ya know what?

Aw hell, forget it...it's like talking to a brick friggin' wall! I could care less if the front page was BLANK. And Queenie :rolleyes: , tell Floyd not to send SHEIT!

And let's all set our clocks to just how FAST the SCG results are posted on Sunday morning if Grambling wins. IRREGARDLESS IF GSU'S S.I.D., O.C.A.A., I.A.H.C., or M.O.U.S.E. files a report with TSPN!

:sitting back fanning with my Parliament album cover, with my flashlight clicking off and on (you remember that BgJag?), STILL glad! :D

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
BG,

While you are at it. See what you can find over on swac.org.

I don't go on that site. You mean to tell me they have people actually working there?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Re: Okay Kenn...

Originally posted by Kenn Rashad

I did not get a conference report from the SWAC office, nor did I get one from the GSU or SU SIDs. So there was nothing to publish.

Our basketball team and SID flew to California on Sunday, your team was playing at home this week.

Re: Re: Re: Okay Kenn...

Originally posted by BgJag

Our basketball team and SID flew to California on Sunday, your team was playing at home this week.

So whats the point?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay Kenn...

Originally posted by BgJag

48-24

Aw gawd dang man! LOL ROTF :emlaugh: :bawling: :emlaugh: Somebody get me off da' flo'!!!!! :lmao:

What's gotten in to you Jags?! :confused: ~snicker~ kekekekekekekekekekeke Equal opportunity you say? :lecture:

Sorry 'bout That

Folks,

Let me take the heat on this one ... Quite Honestly, I did not get to doing the story on the Bayou Classic ... If I had it would have headlined "Southern Shocks Grambling" with the lead going something like this ... A funny thing happened on the way to Grambling's coronation ... Those were my thoughts as I drove back to B'ham on Sunday after the Thanksgiving Holiday.

I meant to do the release on Monday, but I got SUPER busy on trying to get things ready for the SCG game program and getting basketball boxes from SWAC schools (seems like some of our people haven't been sending their boxes to our office)... It was my plan to start posting SWAC BB Stats this week. THEN the new commissioner came in, and there was a reception for him Monday night ........ I didn't get to writing the release. Heck, after glancing at this board, I knew everyone knew the story, so when Tuesday came around, I figured I would just incorporate the information in the pre-game release I will be doing on the SWAC Championship (old news, recycled). Then on Tuesday, the news of Bruce making the final cut for the Payton Award ... I just got that release out at 5:30 A.M. today (Wednesday, 12/04). I just got a chance to peruse the swacpage this morning and saw this thread.

Kenn is REAL good about putting our office releases up, but I simply dropped the ball .... (I know I'll see those words in quotes, but that's the truth and I'll take the heat). In a sense, it is good to see so many who are looking here and on the SWAC.org site for info. But the body and brain were tired and I didn't get it done this time.

Peace ... Out!!!

SWAC PR Man

Thanks SWAC PR MAN!

Bg! This is a change, in the past no one knew anything nor would they respond. At least he/she is honest and are willing to tell it like it is.:cool:

Naw, BG and the rest (of the SU folks) knew the deal. This isn't the first time this issue has been addressed. But when winning football games become the exception instead of the norm as it is in this case for SU. People start to do crazy things and ask crazy questions like "where is OUR story on the front page?" knowing gott dayum well that there hasn't been a story about them all season long on the front page.

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
But when winning football games become the exception instead of the norm as it is in this case for SU.

Pick a men sport, any sport and post the win-lose record the last ten years and I bet you this board you'll eat them words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back