Front Page?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really have to ask...didn't I tell y'all long time ago, if SU is highlighted, you will NOT see it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
BACK DOOR ARTICLES

SU Notebook

START 'EM UP
Southern started the game with an onside kick, and though the Jaguars didn't get the recovery straight away, Grambling's Brandon Hubbard fumbled, with Victor Phillip recovering at the Southern 42-yard line.

Southern then marched 58 yards in six plays for a touchdown and a 6-0 lead with 13:09 left. Once they seized the momentum, the Jaguars never let go, beating Grambling 48-24 in Bayou Classic XXIX Saturday in the Superdome.

"Just for us to try the onside kick, that comes out with the mentality we were going to let everything hang," wide receiver Michael Hayes said. "That set the tone for the game."

Phillip, a sophomore reserve defensive back, came up with the ball at the bottom of the pile.

"I covered it up," said Phillip, who said maybe four Tigers were on top of him. "I wouldn't let go. I had the ball wrapped up with one of the Grambling players on top of me."

GAME BALL

To Pete Richardson. The Jaguars finished the season 5-1 in their last six games to overcome a 1-5 start. Richardson, in 10 seasons as the head coach at Southern and five at Winston-Salem State, has never had a losing season. What's more, he's 9-1 in the Bayou Classic.

"Good job to our coaching staff," linebacker Chris Cooper said. "They did a wonderful job."

PLAY OF THE GAME

D'Angelo Lewis' 38-yard interception return late in the third quarter. Trailing 26-18 and with the ball at the Southern 35 with five minutes left in the third quarter, Grambling quarterback Bruce Eugene fired a pass to the right sideline for Corey Brownfield. But Southern cornerback Lenny Williams hit Brownfield, with the ball flying up in the air, Lewis snaring it and then racing to the Southern 31. Ten plays later, Leon Miller caught a 6-yard touchdown pass to go ahead 34-18 with 18 seconds left in the quarter.

NUMBER CRUNCHING

Southern's 35:46 time of possession was its best all season. That dominance, keyed by an 8:29 scoring drive for a second-quarter touchdown, allowed the Jaguars defense rest and kept Grambling's high-scoring offense off the field.

"The offense did tremendous," Southern defensive co-coordinator Terrence Graves said. "I told our guys on the sideline we don't have any excuse, the offense is doing a fantastic job of holding the ball and scoring some points. That extra time allowed us to stay fresh and make adjustments. Total team effort."

Said free safety Randy Williams, who forced a fumble, broke up three passes and returned an interception 46 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter: "The offense kept our legs fresh."

DID YOU NOTICE?

Southern's touchdown on its opening possession was its second of the season. ... Southern blew all three timeouts in the first eight minutes of the second half. The first was to get the right personnel in for a PAT with 11:49 left in the third quarter. The second was to get the proper formation, with a wide receiver lined to the wrong side, with 9:40 left in the third quarter. The last came with 7:18 left in the third quarter. ... The Jaguars outscored Grambling 22-15 in the third quarter. That was both the most third-quarter points scored and allowed by Southern.

INJURY REPORT

Southern tailback Victor Ike, who did not play in the previous three games, dislocated his left kneecap on a 38-yard catch-and-run to the Grambling 1-yard line with 13:22 left in the first quarter. ... Lewis bruised his right shoulder on his interception return but returned to the game.

LAGNIAPPE

Eugene's three touchdown passes gave him 40 on the season, surpassing coach Doug Williams' 38 in 1977. ... The last time Southern finished .500 was 5-5-1 in 1986. ... Hayes has scored a touchdown in all three of his Bayou Classic appearances and finished five Superdome appearances with 535 yards and five touchdowns. In all, Hayes closed his career with 3,091 yards, with a school-record 3,059 yards and all 30 touchdowns at Southern. He had 873 yards and nine touchdowns this season. ... Southern's Lionel Joseph had five catches for 51 yards after totaling 62 yards on five catches in the first 11 games. ... Southern's Chris Davis scored on a 27-yard reverse, giving him three touchdowns on eight touches (with seven catches, including two TDs) this season. ... The crowd of 59,745 was the lowest for the Bayou Classic since 55,450 in 1988.

-- Joseph Schiefelbein

Okay Kenn...

Post the article about the Bayou Classic. And let me suggest, for journalistic intergrity, that it doesn't have the big G and be titled GRAMBLING LOSES IN THE BAYOU CLASSIC.

:rolleyes:

I kinda forgot Southern won the BC.

But I'm glad I watched it on television because I didn't see any articles on the front page of this website to tell me so.

20021130231923.jpg
Southern quarterback Quincy Richard, center, plagued the GSU defense with three passing touchdowns and a rushing one of his own.

Double the pain
GSU''s magic season loses some sparkle, 48-24
Scott Beder / Tech and GSU Reporter
Posted on December 1, 2002

NEW ORLEANS - Grambling State has made a living off second-half comebacks this season.

On Saturday, the calvary never came as the Tigers got ambushed in a 48-24 loss to Southern in the 29th Bayou Classic.

Grambling (10-2), which has had to rally from behind in five of its wins this season, never found that magic against a determined Southern team before a crowd of 59,745 at the Louisiana Superdome.

"I always said that against a team like Southern you can't do like you did against Langston and Prairie View and that's what happened today," GSU coach Doug Williams said. "They got off to a good start and rode the crest and made big plays when they had to."

Southern (6-6) delivered the first blow, starting the game with an onside kick, which it recovered at its own 42-yard line. Six plays later, Kenneth Peoples scored on a 1-yard run to give the Jaguars a 6-0 lead.

"We knew we had to be aggressive," Southern coach Pete Richardson said. "That set the tone for us. Their offense spreads you all over the field and you know they're going to get some touchdowns, so I knew we had to score."

Like a boxer on the attack, Southern took the fight to Grambling. The Jaguars, who finished the season by winning five of their last six games, converted 4-of-5 fourth downs and forced six turnovers, including four in the second half.

"I'm disappointed with our play, but you've got to give it up to Southern," said Grambling quarterback Bruce Eugene, who passed for 325 yards and three touchdowns, but was victimized by three interceptions. "They played their best against us."

Southern led 12-0 at halftime and opened a 19-3 lead in the third quarter when the fog started to lift for Grambling.

It began with a five-play, 71-yard scoring drive. Eugene hit Tramon Douglas with a 14-yard touchdown pass with 13:14 left in the period to cut the lead to 19-10. Douglas finished the game with 13 receptions for 188 yards and one touchdown to earn Grambling's Most Valuable Player honors.

Finally, it seemed, the Southwestern Athletic Conference's top offense was finding its groove.

"We were a little bit out of sync, but once we got rolling we got comfortable and started moving the ball," GSU center Lance Wright said. "But the turnover bug hit and it was doomsday for us."

Indeed. Southern took a 26-10 lead when Chris Davis scored on a 26-yard reverse with 11:49 left in the third quarter, but in the final 9 minutes, 20 seconds of the third quarter, Grambling's fate would be decided.

It began at the 9:20 mark when the Tigers' Antonio Hughes picked off a tipped pass from Southern's Quincy Richard at the Southern 7-yard line. But three plays later, Douglas caught a pass over the middle and had the ball stripped by Southern's Randy Williams. The Jaguars' Lenny Williams recovered at the 3-yard line, killing a sure scoring opportunity.

The Grambling defense held Southern to three plays and out and after the ensuing punt, the Tigers took over at the Southern 31. At this moment, the momentum began to finally shift in Grambling's favor and the Tigers responded with a four-play, 31-yard drive that Eugene finished off with an 18-yard scoring strike to D.J. Clay. Eugene hit Douglas for the 2-point conversion and Grambling was suddenly within a touchdown and 2-point conversion.

Again, the Grambling defense did the job, pinning Southern deep in its territory and forcing a punt, which gave the Tigers possession at the Southern 35. Grambling was poised for one of its patented comebacks.

"We believed we would come back," Douglas said. "We never truly believed we were out of the game."

But on second-and-10, Eugene threw a sideline pass intended for Corey Brownfield. Southern's Lenny Williams battled Brownfield for the ball and tipped it in the air, right into the waiting arms of D'Angelo Lewis, who returned it to the Grambling 31.

"That was the biggest play of the game," Douglas said. "You can look at any play, but that one turned it around."

It was one of several big plays for Lenny Williams, who also intercepted a pass and recovered a fumble.

"I was just trying to do my part," Lenny Williams said. "Coach expects me to make big plays. This game meant everything to us today."

Ten plays later, Southern quarterback Quincy Richard hit Leon Miller with a 6-yard scoring pass and Thomas Ricks ran in the 2-point conversion to give Southern a 34-10 lead, dropping an anvil on Grambling's comeback hopes.

"It seemed the ball fell their way all day," Wright said. "They played with a lot of emotion and heart. I give them credit."

Richard finished the game 21-of-36 for 242 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions to earn Southern's MVP.

"That was major," Doug Williams said. "The one turnover at the goal that Tramon fumbled and the one on the sideline that was tipped made the difference in the football game."

The floodgates then opened as Eugene threw interceptions on each of Grambling's next two possessions. Southern cashed in with touchdowns and closed the game with a 21-0 run.

"The little tipped ball swung momentum," Eugene said. "Our defense had made a big stop and we were going for the tie. Unfortunately I threw the interception and Southern capitalized."

While disheartened with the loss, the Tigers kept it in proper perspective. In two weeks they travel to Birmingham, Ala., where they will play Alabama A&M with a chance to win their third straight SWAC championship.

"This loss is tough, but our main goal is to get a championship," Douglas said. "The main thing is to recover from this and get back on our game and get ready for Alabama A&M. If we lose that game, it's a wasted season."

Southern Jaguars ambush Grambling in Bayou Classic, 48-24
Posted on December 1, 2002
By Scott Beder

NEW ORLEANS - Grambling State has made a living off second-half comebacks this season.

On Saturday, the calvary never came as the Tigers got ambushed in a 48-24 loss to Southern in the 29th Bayou Classic.

Grambling (10-2), which has had to rally in five of its wins this season, never found that magic against a deter-mined Southern team before a crowd of 59,745 at the Louisiana Superdome.

"I always said that against a team like Southern you can't do like you did against Langston and Prairie View and that's what happened today," GSU coach Doug Williams said. "They got off to a good start and rode the crest and made big plays when they had to."

Southern (6-6) delivered the first blow, starting the game with an onside kick, which it recovered at its own 42-yard line. Six plays later, Kenneth Peoples scored on a 1-yard run to give the Jaguars a 6-0 lead.

"We knew we had to be aggressive," Southern coach Pete Richardson said. "That set the tone for us. Their offense spreads you all over the field and you know they're going to get some touchdowns, so I knew we had to score."

Like a boxer on the attack, Southern took the fight to Grambling. The Jaguars, who finished the season by winning five of their last six games, converted four of five fourth downs and forced six turnovers, including four in the second half.

"I'm disappointed with our play, but you've got to give it up to Southern," said Grambling quarterback Bruce Eugene, who passed for 325 yards and three touchdowns, but was victimized by three interceptions. "They played their best against us."

Southern led 12-0 at halftime and opened a 19-3 lead in the third quarter when the fog started to lift for Grambling.

It began with a five-play, 71-yard scoring drive. Eugene hit Tramon Douglas with a 14-yard touchdown pass with 13:14 left in the period to cut the lead to 19-10. Douglas finished the game with 13 receptions for 188 yards and one touchdown to earn Grambling's Most Valuable Player honors.

Finally, it seemed, the Southwestern Athletic Conference's top offense was finding its groove.

Southern took a 26-10 lead when Chris Davis scored on a 26-yard reverse with 11:49 left in the third quarter, but in the final 9 minutes, 20 seconds of the third quarter, Grambling's fate would be decided.

It began at the 9:20 mark when the Tigers' Antonio Hughes picked off a tipped pass from Southern's Quincy Richard at the Southern 7-yard line. But three plays later, Douglas caught a pass over the middle and had the ball stripped by Southern's Randy Williams. The Jaguars' Lenny Williams recovered at the 3-yard line, killing a sure scoring opportunity.

The Grambling defense held Southern to three plays and out and after the ensuing punt, the Tigers took over at the Southern 31. The Tigers responded with a four-play, 31-yard drive that Eugene finished off with an 18-yard scoring strike to D.J. Clay. Eugene hit Douglas for the two-point conversion and Grambling was suddenly within a touchdown and another two-point conversion.

Again, the Grambling defense did the job, pinning Southern deep in its territory and forcing a punt, which gave the Tigers possession at the Southern 35.

Grambling was poised for one of its patented comebacks.

"We believed we would come back," Douglas said. "We never truly believed we were out of the game."

But on second-and-10, Eugene threw a sideline pass intended for Corey Brownfield. Southern's Lenny Williams battled Brownfield for the ball and tipped it in the air, right into the waiting arms of D'Angelo Lewis, who returned it to the Grambling 31.

"That was the biggest play of the game," Douglas said. "You can look at any play, but that one turned it around."

Ten plays later, Southern quarterback Quincy Richard hit Leon Miller with a 6-yard scoring pass and Thomas Ricks ran in the two-point conversion to give Southern a 34-10 lead, dropping an anvil on Grambling's comeback hopes.

"It seemed the ball fell their way all day," Wright said. "They played with a lot of emotion and heart. I give them credit."

Re: Okay Kenn...

Originally posted by Seeing Spots
Post the article about the Bayou Classic. And let me suggest, for journalistic intergrity, that it doesn't have the big G and be titled GRAMBLING LOSES IN THE BAYOU CLASSIC.

:rolleyes:

I did not get a conference report from the SWAC office, nor did I get one from the GSU or SU SIDs. So there was nothing to publish.

Man, you Southern folks are a piece of work. You wait until now to question me about what is published on the front page? Where were all of your questions and concerns earlier in the season?

Just stop!

Several of the posters weighed in on the subject of the front page ALWAYS being Grambling "top heavy". Sperm, C-LeB and Dirty were very vocal about it and I (among others), a Southernite , stated very clearly and objectively that journalistic intergrity BEGGED for more fairness.

Stop pouting and casting aspersions and WRITE a story. We all know you are very capable. And we all know that had Grambling won the game, that you would not have had to wait on a submission from SWAC.

We all participate on this Board, let's not go there. Southernites are HERE and posting all over, all the time. And let's not TIME the posting of the results of the SCG.

The truths hurt.

Originally posted by Kenn Rashad

I did not get a conference report from the SWAC office, nor did I get one from the GSU or SU SIDs. So there was nothing to publish.

Man, you Southern folks are a piece of work. You wait until now to question me about what is published on the front page? Where were all of your questions and concerns earlier in the season?

THEY WERE TOO BUSY ON SMALL TALK. DIDN'T WE ALREADY GO THROUGH THIS WITH PEANUT BUTTA.

Re: Just stop!

Originally posted by Seeing Spots

Stop pouting and casting aspersions and WRITE a story.

Go through all the stories listed on the front page and find out how many of them were writen by me (maybe 3 concerning the search of the commissioner). I don't write stories. This is nothing new, and I have made this clear before. Depending on the format of the stories I get via email, I publish them when I get them.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

THEY WERE TOO BUSY ON SMALL TALK. DIDN'T WE ALREADY GO THROUGH THIS WITH PEANUT BUTTA.

I don't post on small talk, btw who asked you anything? Shouldn't you be in the band room with the kids? :rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

Oh, you talking about the time we had an issue of why there wasn't an article about the only SWAC player to be drafted last year, who happen to be from UAPB. But as soon as a GSU player signed a free agent contract with the CBA, it was top story.

I not going to complain about how info gets on the front page anymore, especially since it is the SID's responsibility to get info to Kenn. And our SID obviously doesn't do that.

Originally posted by BgJag

I don't post on small talk, btw who asked you anything? Shouldn't you be in the band room with the kids? :rolleyes:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nah BgJag,
Mach can't even handle those youngsters on the band board, well maybe now since most them left. I tell ya those current wearer's of the "S" are ruthless . They make me so proud.:D

Originally posted by Da_Sperm

I not going to complain about how info gets on the front page anymore, especially since it is the SID's responsibility to get info to Kenn. And our SID obviously doesn't do that.

What? Buckey dont want to air you all's dirty laundry?

Now this is sad.....

Kenn, I am pretty sure, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to complete a few sentences and give a synopsis of the Bayou Classic. Furthermore, I don't see anything about the Turkey Day Classic. Let me call Southern's SID office to see why no press release concerning the Bayou Classic has not been released.

In the meantime, can you write a small article about the Bayou Classic? Better yet, can't you copy one of the articles that was written and just give the source?

Originally posted by Kenn Rashad

Who did that? I don't recall such a story.

I was being sarcastic (msp), but actually shortly after Dante Wesley was drafted, there was a story on the front page about some SWAC player signing a free agent contract in football or overseas basketball.

You did however put on the front page that the UAPB AD was found dead, when in fact the old man died of a diease he had been fighting for year.

SU's SID has not returned home from the Basketball game in San Francisco, CA but he will get something to Kenn to post on this board ASAP concerning the BC.

So Southernites, stay tuned to the front page.

Thanks for starting this thread BgJag. :tup:

Ok, OK

Southern 48 Grambling 24. The Jaguars scored early and often enroute to a lopsided upset of their in-state rival Grambling Tigers. [end of story]

source: ESPN, CNN, CNNSI, USA TODAY on and on and on!!!

KENN: put this on the front page PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back