Former Texas Southern Band Student Claimed He Was Hazed

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
29 Aug 2003
A former freshman at Texas Southern University said he was injured while being hazed for joining the school band and charges could be filed in the case.

from News2Houston.com

HOUSTON -- A former freshman at Texas Southern University said he was injured while being hazed for joining the school band and charges could be filed in the case, News2Houston reported in an exclusive story Thursday.

Brandon Shorter said that he was beaten up by two upper classmen, and hit so hard that he nearly passed out.

"I've kind of recovered. Sometimes I feel ill when I turn my neck too fast. It kind of hurts," Shorter said.

The injuries sent him to the school's infirmary, according to Shorter.

After a police investigation, university officials decided to take action.

"This is very serious to us," said LaChanda Jenkins, TSU's spokeswoman. "We acted swiftly based on the results of the investigation. We temporarily suspended the individuals charged, pending the outcome of the legal process."

Brad Hart, the deputy chief of the Harris County district attorney's misdemeanor office, could not talk specifically about the TSU case, but said Texas has a hazing law. Hazing could include anything that mentally or physically harms you, including drinking alcohol or hitting a person.

"We don't want people who are trying to join fraternities or sororities, bands, anything affiliated with an educational institution, to feel under pressure to do things that may cause themselves harm, either physically or mentally," Hart said. "The group mentality is, 'Well, we did it so you can do it too.'"

The university did not release the students' names.

The district attorney is reviewing the case to determine if criminal charges should be filed.

A conviction on a hazing charge could include jail time, according to officials.

Shorter returned to his home state of Arkansas to attend school.

Copyright 2003 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved.

It's seems today's students can't take hazing. Back in the day when you were hazed you didn't say sh*t, you assumed hazing was something to expect as a Crab.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
29 Aug 2003
A former freshman at Texas Southern University said he was injured while being hazed for joining the school band and charges could be filed in the case.

:shame:

:lecture:

TxSU, there is more to a Class Act band than loud Music !

Originally posted by JSU
It's seems today's students can't take hazing. Back in the day when you were hazed you didn't say sh*t, you assumed hazing was something to expect as a Crab.

You have to also look at everything that they call hazing in todays society. I'm not condoning it but if you took it literally having them wear white t-shirts could be deemed hazing.

IT WASN'T AUG 29TH. THIS HAPPENED THE FIRST WEEK OF BAND CAMP AND THE NEWS JUST GOT A HOLD OF THIS STORY AND THEY ARE BLOWING IT COMPLETELY OUT OF PROPORTION.

Man...hope this doesn't screw ya'll over. But didn't Texas make some stiffer hazing laws a couple of years ago?

Originally posted by JSU

Naw, its not those who can't take the hazing, its the dumb asses who do the hazing...they don't know when enough is enough.

Actually, both sides are to blame for the way it is now.

The hazers who go to far.....and societies babies who can't take anything of any level (from "getting talked to" to "actually getting touched").

Upperclassmen has to be more responsible when it comes to this type of thing. Crabs don't know any better. I just hope it doesn't screw up the program. TSU has a nice size and I heard that the would be bigger next year. You guys be careful what that hazing stuff, crabs and upperclassmen both. Don't do anymore to anyone that was done to you and certainly, don't do anything to anyone that you did not like done to you. That is the solution to keeping hazing under control.

They don't make crabs the way they used to.....LOL

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
29 Aug 2003

from News2Houston.com

HOUSTON -- A former freshman at Texas Southern University said he was injured while being hazed for joining the school band and charges could be filed in the case, News2Houston reported in an exclusive story Thursday.

Brandon Shorter said that he was beaten up by two upper classmen, and hit so hard that he nearly passed out.

"I've kind of recovered. Sometimes I feel ill when I turn my neck too fast. It kind of hurts," Shorter said.

The injuries sent him to the school's infirmary, according to Shorter.

After a police investigation, university officials decided to take action.

"This is very serious to us," said LaChanda Jenkins, TSU's spokeswoman. "We acted swiftly based on the results of the investigation. We temporarily suspended the individuals charged, pending the outcome of the legal process."

Brad Hart, the deputy chief of the Harris County district attorney's misdemeanor office, could not talk specifically about the TSU case, but said Texas has a hazing law. Hazing could include anything that mentally or physically harms you, including drinking alcohol or hitting a person.

"We don't want people who are trying to join fraternities or sororities, bands, anything affiliated with an educational institution, to feel under pressure to do things that may cause themselves harm, either physically or mentally," Hart said. "The group mentality is, 'Well, we did it so you can do it too.'"

The university did not release the students' names.

The district attorney is reviewing the case to determine if criminal charges should be filed.

A conviction on a hazing charge could include jail time, according to officials.

Shorter returned to his home state of Arkansas to attend school.

Some of these crabs are just plain punks. They'll complain about hazing now, but last year as a senior, you'd probably see those same people trying to beat down a high school freshman. :rolleyes:

Upperclassmen, since you can't 'motivate' like we used to be able to, you have to up the game and get into their heads. :confused:

Obi-Wan, send Jedi mind tricks...:D :cool:

I agree, some crabs are bring the hype down on the bands. I know some of the band directors are giving the crabs too much say so.

I hear at some schools, you can't even call a crab a crab anymore. Crabs have it way to easy these days. I guess crabs actually get to sleep in beds on away games and get to party after band practice now.

Donkey Kong send help!!!

The media is making this thing bigger than what it really is. Not saying that whoever touched him was wrong but this guy didnt almost blackout. I just want to encourage everybody at TSU 2 remove all negativity and just try 2 stay focused.

Originally posted by JSU

This is fact. What I don't understand is these same freshman, crabs, or scrubs (whatever your band call them) be the main ones after the newcomers whenever they become an upperclassmen.

Now, I'm not for hazing, but I am for motivation and if you can't take the heat, then you don't belong in the kitchen even tho you're an old head.

Originally posted by ClevePVAMU
Some of these crabs are just plain punks. They'll complain about hazing now, but last year as a senior, you'd probably see those same people trying to beat down a high school freshman. :rolleyes:

Upperclassmen, since you can't 'motivate' like we used to be able to, you have to up the game and get into their heads. :confused:

Obi-Wan, send Jedi mind tricks...:D :cool:

I agree with this too. The main ones that go back and tell was the ring leaders of it in their high schools. I'm willing to bet that they are still going back to their high school, thinking they are almighty just because they are in a college band. I'm also betting that they are still beating people up in their high schools and are not telling their partners about how much of a punk they are.

This just doesn't make any since.

I feel that it is blown out of proportion because it is at an HBCU. I remember 2 yrs ago, Texas A&M was caught hazing by hog tying the freshmen while they were naked, blind folding them, and then they beat them up...... All while taking pics of it. It was on the news for a minute, but the administrators at A&M said that it was a yearly ritual so nothing happened. Now, That just ain't right!!

I went and gave a "motivational speech" to my old section last week. I tried the old "mind trick " thing , explaining how thing were different now and how they need to appreciate the new rules rather than take advantage of them, and how they need to rely on personal pride to take them to he next level rather than a foot up the arse. When i went into some old war stories one girl actually said "why ya'll have to be so violent"....I almost died laughing. These kids are p--sy's!!!

Oh yeah i made a point of clowning the neo's so that none of them try any fly ish. Damn skaters!!!!!!

Originally posted by solophone96
Oh yeah i made a point of clowning the neo's so that none of them try any fly ish. Damn skaters!!!!!!

Folk do get "hard" all of a sudden once they cross...:rolleyes:

the truth

the main ones that are complaining about hazing and telling on hazers are the main ones doing it, or going to do it in the future. I know some about was the main squeel in our band, she seems to be so hard now. i guess they made a big change since there freshmen year.

It was reported that two students were suspended... Somebody must have thought it to be serious enough.

Some of you upperclassmen need to stop and think.
These days, if a student knows that a teacher can't discipline them in the classroom, how the hell you figure a crab will let you go beyond what he thinks is enough.

Times have changed

Rules have changed

Crabs have changed.

But then again, that shouldn't surprise you.

I could have sworn I heard the guy say that he had transferred for UAPB to TxSU, just to be in the band.
:rolleyes:

Back