Food prices push millions into poverty

Blacknbengal

Rising food prices pushed tens of millions of people into extreme poverty last year and are reaching "dangerous levels" in some countries, World Bank President Robert Zoellick said Tuesday as he released new data showing that the cost of grain and other staples is near a historic high.

Rest story

I was just talking to my mama about prices. I went to Wally World this past weekend and noticed some price differences (I had just gone in two weeks ago!). You definitely have to look at sale papers now, if not, you will be broke! Folks better stop selling those food stamps. The bad thing is that its harder to make those healthy choices if you have a family. If u have limited income and food prices have increased, shoppers are going to choose whats going to make family members full (and thats not always good).

I bought some Activia Yogart Sunday for 1.88. Went yesterday to get another 4 pack and it was 2.88. In four days they went up by a one dollar. Sad!!

yes, it's terrible...that's why so many folks are overweight/unhealthy too...especially poor/low income folks. It's too expensive to eat healthy...they want you eat all that mess, but the prices are outlandish.

The most common items like milk and eggs are priced extremely high.
Don't mention cucumbers. I paid $1 for one yesterday and it was small. :smh: You better believe I only got 1.
My next stop in the store was to the garden center. It's time to start my own vegetable garden.

The most common items like milk and eggs are priced extremely high.
Don't mention cucumbers. I paid $1 for one yesterday and it was small. :smh: You better believe I only got 1.
My next stop in the store was to the garden center. It's time to start my own vegetable garden.

It's shameful...:smh:

When I get back on facebook in March. I'm going to post some alternative to healthy eating for cheap!

I toally understand where you all are coming from... I tweet it all the time and put it on my facebook... You can get a heart attack, side of stroke, topped off with full blasted aneurism on the 99 cent menu, but a salad is $7... But on the other hand, since going back to my vegetarian/vegan ways, I can eat lunch for a full week for $10 or so...

I toally understand where you all are coming from... I tweet it all the time and put it on my facebook... You can get a heart attack, side of stroke, topped off with full blasted aneurism on the 99 cent menu, but a salad is $7... But on the other hand, since going back to my vegetarian/vegan ways, I can eat lunch for a full week for $10 or so...

SAD, ain't it! :smh:

Man, ya'll betta get like me and get on dem Publix weekly sales!! :nod: :lol: Seriously, I really don't spend much on healthy food....but then again, it's just me and Snake, so maybe that's why. :noidea:

Days u don't feel like cooking, but still want to keep it healthy and under $7.00?? Publix got their fresh rotisserie chicken on sale for $4.99....a whole dayum chicken to feed your family. :nod:

If you are a fan of soup like I am, Publix have buy one, get one free cans of Progresso soups. My typical lunch is a can of Progresso soup and a salad. Oh, and a container of Organic Girl 50/50 Salad for $3.99 at Whole Foods (Publix sometimes have it on sale for $2.99) will last me for bout a week. :tup:

Like making pasta?? Publix got Hunts Whole/Diced tomatos also buy one, get one free; as well as a jar of Classico Pasta sauce. :nod:

Pepperidge Whole grain bread- also buy one, get one free. :tup:

Need I go on?? I'm making my grocery list for the week right now. :emlaugh: :tup:

You have to define healthy! I been reading alot about vegan and healthy living. The first thing is stop eating process food! cook our own meal and consume as much raw veggies that you can.

Let me give a $1.00 meal i enjoy!

A can of black bean, pinto bean or kidney beans. A can of albacore tuna and a table spoon of fresh pico

I can generally get by with eating certain things myself for pretty reasonably, SOMETIMES, but I have a soon to 14-year old son that can eat his ass off. Soup, tuna and those things you all listed don't fill that negro up, nor does it hold him. He's a big Tuba player...:lol:

I can generally get by with eating certain things myself for pretty reasonably, SOMETIMES, but I have a soon to 14-year old son that can eat his ass off. Soup, tuna and those things you all listed don't fill that negro up, nor does it hold him. He's a big Tuba player...:lol:

LOL..i was like your son! But I have learn to control my eating. I used to eat so fast lol. Like someone was going to take my food. I start trying to eat slower and more control. Sometime it may take 20 min to eat a 10 min meal. And, i find myself not eating it all.

You have to define healthy! I been reading alot about vegan and healthy living. The first thing is stop eating process food! cook our own meal and consume as much raw veggies that you can.

Yep. :nod:

I still can't get with the vegan lifestyle. :smh: My goodness, vegans can't even eat honey because it's made from bees and I gots to have honey for my green tea. :lol:

I would try to go vegetarian, but I love my weekly lemon-pepper wings from Crickets too much. :smh: :emlaugh: So I'll go semi-vegetarian. :tup:

Girl, dem be da ones brangin dat FYE!!!! :tup: :lol:

Man, ya'll betta get like me and get on dem Publix weekly sales!! :nod: :lol: Seriously, I really don't spend much on healthy food....but then again, it's just me and Snake, so maybe that's why. :noidea:

Days u don't feel like cooking, but still want to keep it healthy and under $7.00?? Publix got their fresh rotisserie chicken on sale for $4.99....a whole dayum chicken to feed your family. :nod:

If you are a fan of soup like I am, Publix have buy one, get one free cans of Progresso soups. My typical lunch is a can of Progresso soup and a salad. Oh, and a container of Organic Girl 50/50 Salad for $3.99 at Whole Foods (Publix sometimes have it on sale for $2.99) will last me for bout a week. :tup:

Like making pasta?? Publix got Hunts Whole/Diced tomatos also buy one, get one free; as well as a jar of Classico Pasta sauce. :nod:

Pepperidge Whole grain bread- also buy one, get one free. :tup:

Need I go on?? I'm making my grocery list for the week right now. :emlaugh: :tup:

The problem with this is I can't each all the sodium in the chicken and soups. Those chickens are loaded with salt and so are the soups. Even the healthy ones.

Delock again too much sodium in canned beans and tuna.

I eat fruit, appels, bannanas,oranges, grapes, emerald almonds/walnuts(100 calorie snacks) and low sodium V8 for breakfast. I can do that for about 10 dollars a week.

For lunch I try to bring my lunch and eat lean cusine low cal lunches with fruit, steamed veggie packs etc with vitamin water.

For dinner we buy bulk chicken breast and talapia and steam veggies and cook that through the weak. We add one stretch meal in there. Turkey spaghetti or chicken pasta.

It's expensive feeding 5 folks. Add in lunch,daycare, and snack for the baby...Sheesh..

Again leave the canned veggies,beans alone. Go frozen. Most are just as cheap in the store brands.

And clip coupons, and use all the store savings you can.

Yep. :nod:

I still can't get with the vegan lifestyle. :smh: My goodness, vegans can't even eat honey because it's made from bees and I gots to have honey for my green tea. :lol:

I would try to go vegetarian, but I love my weekly lemon-pepper wings from Crickets too much. :smh: :emlaugh: So I'll go semi-vegetarian. :tup:

Semi is good also...hell I'm a man damnit! I have to have protein to make more protein!

The problem with this is I can't each all the sodium in the chicken and soups. Those chickens are loaded with salt and so are the soups. Even the healthy ones.

Delock again too much sodium in canned beans and tuna.

I eat fruit, appels, bannanas,oranges, grapes, emerald almonds/walnuts(100 calorie snacks) and low sodium V8 for breakfast. I can do that for about 10 dollars a week.

For lunch I try to bring my lunch and eat lean cusine low cal lunches with fruit, steamed veggie packs etc with vitamin water.

For dinner we buy bulk chicken breast and talapia and steam veggies and cook that through the weak. We add one stretch meal in there. Turkey spaghetti or chicken pasta.

It's expensive feeding 5 folks. Add in lunch,daycare, and snack for the baby...Sheesh..

Again leave the canned veggies,beans alone. Go frozen. Most are just as cheap in the store brands.

And clip coupons, and use all the store savings you can.

You right about the sodium...I pour the beans out leaving the juice in the can and rinse the beans with water. Country yes but it's easy for me to prep.

If I go a week I only cook one time the whole week.

LOL..i was like your son! But I have learn to control my eating. I used to eat so fast lol. Like someone was going to take my food. I start trying to eat slower and more control. Sometime it may take 20 min to eat a 10 min meal. And, i find myself not eating it all.

yes, I'm working with him on that as well...he and I have been changing our eating habits and working out a minimum of 3 weeks, just to try and remain healthy...it's just hard to eat all healthy foods at a reasonable price.

yes, I'm working with him on that as well...he and I have been changing our eating habits and working out a minimum of 3 weeks, just to try and remain healthy...it's just hard to eat all healthy foods at a reasonable price.

Eat smart! Eat responsible! Example...milk. go soy or almond. I'm going to have some corn flakes and almond milk tomorrow with a couple of bananas dropped in!

Eat smart! Eat responsible! Example...milk. go soy or almond. I'm going to have some corn flakes and almond milk tomorrow with a couple of bananas dropped in!

I love almond milk...keeps some in my fridge and that's what I eat cereal with too. It's an acquired taste for some though, my son doesn't like it...but I buy 1 or 2% for him.

I eat nothing in a can. I eat home cook meals at least six times a week. I eat vegetables with every meal. I eat fruits. Fast food is junk fuel. It does nothing for your body. The only time I eat it is when I am traveling some where outside of Huntsville. Eating right is a life style. I only eat baked and grilled foods, fish and chicken and rarely eat fried foods. I even bake all the bass, cat fish and stripe bass I catch. Don't care for beef nor pork, but I love wild game which better than that store stuff like deer and rabbit.

Back