Female Drum Majors in an HBCU!?!?

kremesaver said:
:bowdown: Honestly, I do feel you SLT, but I was being just a tad bit sarcastic with tearing it up but you all know what I mean. On another note, I know those solutions may sound harsh but if YOU DON'T STAND FOR NOTHING, YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING.

Question.....would you support a "fag" going out for Jaysette(sp), Dancin Doll, Foxy Lady?????? I still haven't heard not one WOMAN speak on that.....cause you all know you have no defense on that. If you defend it, YOU'RE LYING........if you are against it, you contradict every point you made of why a female should be DM..............NOW I DARE SOMEBODY TO COME BACK WITH SOMETHING CAUSE I'M READY..........LOL. :cool:

You ready, huh? Go on with your bad self! :lol:

But really, the answer is No, I don't see the point of a guy being on a dance squad(J-cettes, DD, etc), BUT if it was nothing I could do about it, then like you, it still wouldn't change my stance, BUT I would have to succumb to the fact that I don't have the power to change it.

But I see your view....and to each his own. You feel strongly about your stance and that is alright. We don't have to be in agreement on all things. We just have to agree to disagree. :D

It's all good! :cool:

kremesaver said:
Question.....would you support a "fag" going out for Jaysette(sp), Dancin Doll, Foxy Lady?????? I still haven't heard not one WOMAN speak on that.....cause you all know you have no defense on that. If you defend it, YOU'RE LYING........if you are against it, you contradict every point you made of why a female should be DM..............NOW I DARE SOMEBODY TO COME BACK WITH SOMETHING CAUSE I'M READY..........LOL. :cool:

You must didn't read my previous response. :rolleyes:

There is no defense because there is no comparison. :read:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
kremesaver said:
Question.....would you support a "fag"

...good thang BoiDiva & BooKitty dont post over here, cause you'll be innnnn trouuublllllllleeeee :lol:

"Snake"

BluBlood said:
I thought that statement was made when the jukebox was all males? :rolleyes:

Man, that was the reason the band was going through turmoil in 89. Doc was having it out with a female Administrator (I forgot her position title) because she was pushing for females in the band. Maybe Jukebox89 or Greyskull could expound, but having girls period in the Jukebox was no cakewalk. Even with the ones I marched with including my crab sister, they were all very good musicians, but truthfully I would've loved to continued the tradition of an all-male band. Unfortunately, it won't happen. Of course, women can do the job and do it well, but the Jukebox.. well, you would have to have been in it to understand.

dacontinent said:
Female DM's at HBCU's is not a problem...not even at SU. It only requires one thing: SUPPORT OF THE DIRECTOR.

Bring all of the old-head's out of the closet and let them say what they want, but we know that if Doc Greggs were to do a 180 (yeah, right) and announce that the next SU DM was a female, no one would openly challenge him. Why? Because they already know the smackdown they would get if they did it. The same is true for every other program.

I don't care who you are...if the director is not supporting you, all the skills in the world won't get you respect. By the same token, if you have the skills and the support, you can command the points of the job.

I gotta heavily disagree with this. Doc, is on a thread right now. If he pulled that, A LOT of people would say, "Doc, You are sleepy. You need some rest." It's true, Doc has significant power, but this is the thing that Alumni have to realize...Doc did marvelous things and IS an icon...but HE alone isn't the Southern University Band. It's a sensitive issue... but wait to young blood grasps the reins...

Mom-E said:
Man, that was the reason the band was going through turmoil in 89. Doc was having it out with a female Administrator (I forgot her position title) because she was pushing for females in the band. Maybe Jukebox89 or Greyskull could expound, but having girls period in the Jukebox was no cakewalk. Even with the ones I marched with including my crab sister, they were all very good musicians, but truthfully I would've loved to continued the tradition of an all-male band. Unfortunately, it won't happen. Of course, women can do the job and do it well, but the Jukebox.. well, you would have to have been in it to understand.

The lady you're refering to is Deloris Spikes Former President of Southern University. Her and Doc always had it out.

Mom-E said:
I gotta heavily disagree with this. Doc, is on a thread right now. If he pulled that, A LOT of people would say, "Doc, You are sleepy. You need some rest." It's true, Doc has significant power, but this is the thing that Alumni have to realize...Doc did marvelous things and IS an icon...but HE alone isn't the Southern University Band. It's a sensitive issue... but wait to young blood grasps the reins...

Oh yes....Mr. J and Mr. Knighten's ideas are chilling......Sammy u know Mr. Knighten has control of the LA Leadership High school band now and they went from 180-220.

PsychoJag said:
The lady you're refering to is Deloris Spikes Former President of Southern University. Her and Doc always had it out.

That's the name and I thought she was President. I remember an oldhead talking about Doc mentioning her in an conversation like "that Batch is trying to ruin me." :bump:

Mom-E said:
That's the name and I thought she was President. I remember an oldhead talking about Doc mentioning her in an conversation like "that Batch is trying to ruin me." :bump:

Hell yeah lol!!!! You should see the look on his face when her name is even mentioned LMAO!!!

PsychoJag said:
Her and Doc live next door too each other,the last 50 plus years...There kids grow up together... lmao

yvette23 said:

Exactly!!!! kremesaver,...we just don't see eye to eye on some issues but, I got to respect you because you're giving me a headache. :dizzy: I'll get with this in the morning. :smh:

TMHSladydmajor said:
Well I don't understand how being a girl dmajor ties into a man being on a drumline...but that does sound sexiest seriously it does.

Stay in a child's place, S.B. You will save yourself a lot of heartache.

kremesaver said:
:| Wanna BET!!!!! I don't care who the Dir. is including Doc., if a girl makes it at FAM, SU, or BAMA ST. one of two things gonna happen. OLD heads will tear that B**ch up or the whole band will WALK, plain and simple. Do you think the DIR is willing to take that risk.......heLLLLLLLL naw...
If the individual is doesn't have confidence in himself, the oldheads will do that anyway. If the BD knows the woman is qualified but won't step up to support her, then maybe the BD doesn't run the program like he thinks he does.

kremesaver said:
:lecture: I disagree with you on another thing, I don't know about your school but whether you like the DM or not, if a ni**a is skilled, you can't take that away!!!...:rolleyes: Futhermore, you said the problem can be solved as long as there is support from the Director. I don't know about that. Apparently, if you can't hold your own and control the band in the absense of/or support of the Director, you don't need to be a damn DM anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you missed my point. I certainly agree that no one can take away your skills. My point was that if you do not have the support of the BD, then you will not get the support of the band members.

I have seen bands where a DM was in place but left hanging in authority by the BD. It is an ugly thing. If you don't have that support in the presence of the BD, you sure won't have it in his absence - no matter what kind of skills you have.

huh, remember...THE PRICE OF GLORY IS HIGH...!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

yvette23 said:

:rolleyes: And Why Not!!!!! Its the same thing. YOU're argument: "why can't a girl be a DM if she's good enough?"

Their Argument("the other men"): "why can't we be on dance line if we dance and look better than dem heffa's?"

You're defense: "cause its called dance girl, not dance boy and its meant for woman, founded by women and ran by women!!!"

Our defense(normal guys): You're absoulutely right!!! Thats why its called a DRUM Major, not DRUM Majorette!!! Founded by men, ran by men!!! For those who don't know me and may just be joining, you may think I'm sexest.........well I'm not. I'm actually one of the few guys that was in the band that not only inforced, but had the greatest respect and support for the ladies. But on this issue,you have a better chance at a rattlesnake with a gold tooth!!!

Legend35 said:
Exactly!!!! kremesaver,...we just don't see eye to eye on some issues but, I got to respect you because you're giving me a headache. :dizzy: I'll get with this in the morning. :smh:

:cool: Its all good LEGEND. I know I will hear back from you. :)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
dacontinent said:
If the individual is doesn't have confidence in himself, the oldheads will do that anyway. If the BD knows the woman is qualified but won't step up to support her, then maybe the BD doesn't run the program like he thinks he does.

I think you missed my point. I certainly agree that no one can take away your skills. My point was that if you do not have the support of the BD, then you will not get the support of the band members.

I have seen bands where a DM was in place but left hanging in authority by the BD. It is an ugly thing. If you don't have that support in the presence of the BD, you sure won't have it in his absence - no matter what kind of skills you have.

:tup: I didn't miss your point, I just have a different view point, but its cool. I do agree with a lot of what you are saying.

But still, I keep bringing this up because its the truth. That same BD could say that dude dance just like a woman. Does that mean Alumni should get on his case to put him on the dance line...................ok then. But why not.........whats the reason on why he shouldn't make it....... :lecture: Cause like I said before, whatever reason anyone comes up with, will contradict the same reasons on why a girl should be a DM in CERTAIN bands!!!

huh, remember...THE PRICE OF GLORY IS HIGH...!!!!!!!!
[/QUOTE]

dacontinent said:

:tup: I didn't miss your point, I just have a different view point, but its cool. I do agree with a lot of what you are saying.

But still, I keep bringing this up because its the truth. That same BD could say that dude dance just like a woman. Does that mean Alumni should get on his case to put him on the dance line...................ok then. But why not.........whats the reason on why he shouldn't make it....... :lecture: Cause like I said before, whatever reason anyone comes up with, will contradict the same reasons on why a girl should be a DM in CERTAIN bands!!!

dacontinent said:

kremesaver said:
:rolleyes: And Why Not!!!!! Its the same thing. YOU're argument: "why can't a girl be a DM if she's good enough?"

Their Argument("the other men"): "why can't we be on dance line if we dance and look better than dem heffa's?"

You're defense: "cause its called dance girl, not dance boy and its meant for woman, founded by women and ran by women!!!"

Our defense(normal guys): You're absoulutely right!!! Thats why its called a DRUM Major, not DRUM Majorette!!! Founded by men, ran by men!!! For those who don't know me and may just be joining, you may think I'm sexest.........well I'm not. I'm actually one of the few guys that was in the band that not only inforced, but had the greatest respect and support for the ladies. But on this issue,you have a better chance at a rattlesnake with a gold tooth!!!

Blah. :rolleyes: :lol:

It's almost like saying that Golf was create by white men and meant for white men, so therefore, no black man should be playing golf even if he is better than most white men. :|

But I guess........I'mma let you have this one cause you really feel strong about it and u know what they say about opinions. :read: :kiss:

yvette23 said:
Blah. :rolleyes: :lol:

It's almost like saying that Golf was create by white men and meant for white men, so therefore, no black man should be playing golf even if he is better than most white men. :|
:

SO, if thats the case, why can't men be dance girls!!!!
:cool: Yall still avoiding the question!!! :lecture: If you can give me good reason why not,because I know every women out there totally agree that men shouldn't be on a dance squad without contradicting yourselves, I promise I will SHUT TFU!!!
:kiss: With that being said, I invite someone to please "HUMBLE ME"

... :eek: ....."work 'n' wit a monster, work 'n' wit a monster".....

kremesaver said:
SO, if thats the case, why can't men be dance girls!!!!
:cool: Yall still avoiding the question!!! :lecture: If you can give me good reason why not,because I know every women out there totally agree that men shouldn't be on a dance squad without contradicting yourselves, I promise I will SHUT TFU!!!
:kiss: With that being said, I invite someone to please "HUMBLE ME"

... :eek: ....."work 'n' wit a monster, work 'n' wit a monster".....

kreme!!.....:smash:

Mane, I didn't say they(men) couldn't be on a dance line, just that it's not something I want to see. But if one tried out and made it, then it would be nothing I could do about it.

Just is the case with a female DM from your standpoint. You don't agree with it, but if you don't have the power to stop it...all you could do is go sit in a corner with your mouth poked out! :lol: :p

kremesaver said:
:read: Please understand, no where in any of my post have I degraded women or said that they are mediocore to men. Hell, ask anybody, I for one love to have women in the band!!!. I think thats where most of the brains come in.

:lecture: But here me out, some things you just gotta let the men have. Women want the things meant for women and the things meant for Men. If we invent something, they got to come out with a woman's version too. They don't make men versions of women things. If you feel so discriminated against,one of you ladies become a band director. Create an all "female" band and have as many DMs as you want. I bet a million dollars that the majority of women in marching band would still rather be in a coed band and still try to be a Dm in that same band!!! :cool: Women, I love you guys, please believe it :kiss: but its just some things in life you have to let "us" have. Just like you all have your escapes, so do we and we would like it if we can enjoy ours without interference!!!
Whatever man!!!

SLT said:
Mane, I didn't say they(men) couldn't be on a dance line, just that it's not something I want to see. But if one tried out and made it, then it would be nothing I could do about it.

And there it is.

I mean, I'll admit that if we (ASU) had a male Stingette, we would definitely be the laughing stock of HBCU bands. :lol: But if he looked better and shook his azz harder than the females, then I guess ain't too much I could say. :read: :lol: But like I say before, I really wouldn't care one way or the other.

yvette23 said:
And there it is.

I mean, I'll admit that if we (ASU) had a male Stingette, we would definitely be the laughing stock of HBCU bands. :lol: But if he looked better and shook his azz harder than the females, then I guess ain't too much I could say. :read: :lol: But like I say before, I really wouldn't care one way or the other.

:look: Ok.....fine, I'm gonna let this one go. Even though that paragraph above this one is what comes out the horse's azz.

YVETTE, PROF K, and SLT,......I still love you......all day long :cool:

ps......just for the record, I never said a female couldn't make it either, its just something that we don't want to see!!! :licky:

Back