Female Drum Majors in an HBCU!?!?

yvette23 said:
I believe it. Dat $hyt would make CNN. :lol:

I actually believe that it would. Doc's phone would be ringing off the hook, old heads would be kicking down the doors and no one would listen to her. If a girl can play her instrument that's great, we welcome her but to get that stick......... :shame: :shame:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Doc wouldn't let a girl do it, simply because he'd have to spend the extra money on secret services for her.

*picturing some ol'head just walkin up to her at a game, and body slam'n her for no reason*....:lol:

Prof K said:
Thats the problem now!!!!
Co-sign!!!! That's why things are the way they are now because no one wants to hear the real truth. Can't tell nobody nothin'. Everybody got all the answers. Then wonder why you get p@ssed on!!!!

Work with me Prof. K.!!!!

PsychoJag said:
I actually believe that it would. Doc's phone would be ringing off the hook, old heads would be kicking down the doors and no one would listen to her. If a girl can play her instrument that's great, we welcome her but to get that stick......... :shame: :shame:
Well with me being an old head,it was hard as hell to see females in the jukebox,you have no idea how hard,but it was time...And a female DM,if she can do it.DO YOUR THING GIRL....but not at southern,,,lol

kremesaver said:
I will answer your question but, no offense intended,
:| get a crab year under your belt before you post with the big dogs!!!

As far as danceline goes, and I think thats what you meant, there have been plenty of males tring to be on a colligate dance line. All the girls including the band members/Directors said ain't no way in hell!!! :shame: And some of the guys danced better than a lot of the girls........so what!!! That job is still for ladies. :rolleyes: Its mighty funny that not one person has said anything in their defense!!! My point exactly!!! Having a male dance girl is like having a female DRUM MAJOR.

Co-Sign :tup: with PSI SNAKE. Like I said, take a band like FAMU, BAMA ST., SU....all founded and previously rostered all by men. It took them a while to LET WOMEN IN THE BAND but can anyone honestly see a girl run any of these schools......HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL NAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tdown: And for the 10th time, yes the girl at JSU was good, but regardless of how good she was, I will bet money that her results would have been different had she been at one of those three schools!!!

ps....don't get me wrong, there have been some terrible male DM's, especially here at Bama ST., but its almost like when a girl tries out for college DM, it seems to me like she's doing it to prove a girl is just as good or because its unusual at that particular school. WRONG REASON one way or the other.

:lecture: oh yeah, no offense to JSU DM's cause they live as hell but all I see them do is dance a whole lot when they march, "which is up a girls alley". If they did a more milatant style such as always direct with the mace held high ( ex..Famu, BAMA ST.) which requires upper body strength or even march with not only high knee lift but snapping with arm and body (mace) included then I can say "yeah, she got on that level" but I'm yet to see that in anyones band........if anyone knows of one, holla.......and I'm don't mean a band where DM's just do "P" Popping either.......

:lmao: at SNAKES "mental moaned".....

I am not taking any offense to this, but it makes females feel like what they did as drum majors in high school (me being a dmajor) is totally out of line because you a discriminated to do it in high school.

Kreme, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you on that one. Whether or not she is a girl isn't the issue. The style of the program and the ability of the individual to fit that style does.

PsiSnake said:
....stopped reading right there. Holla! :shame:

"Snake"

:lmao: at SNAKE.......no offense to Clark but come on now....moving right along. I guess the young lady missed my post where I even said
There are a lot of sorry male DM in many bands. Like I said, many of these bands were founded as male organizations. Ladies marching in the band is one thing and if she makes it at a particular Univ., hey much congrads to her. :lecture: But at our school and many others, I don't see it as discrimination, I see it as protocol. How many of you have seen a girl DM at a College where the DM has a reputation of being milatant or very precise............thats what I thought!!! Prove it and I stand corrected. and I'm not talking about a school where the DM's either are know for not doing much or that is known for dancing......

:lecture: ps...JUST FOR THE RECORD, NOT ONE LADY ON HERE HAS DEFENDED A "PUNK" TRING OUT FOR THE DANCE TEAM!!! DON'T ACT LIKE IT HASN'T BEEN BROUGHT UP IN JUST ABOUT EVERYONE'S BAND!!! I DON'T SEE NONE OF YOU ALL CALLING THAT DISCRIMINATION...........CAUSE YOU KNOW THAT **** IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!......JUST LIKE,..... WELL I WON'T EVEN SAY IT. NOW I DARE ONE OF YOU TO SAY IT AINT THE SAME....... :tdown:

kremesaver said:
:lecture: ps...JUST FOR THE RECORD, NOT ONE LADY ON HERE HAS DEFENDED A "PUNK" TRING OUT FOR THE DANCE TEAM!!! DON'T ACT LIKE IT HASN'T BEEN BROUGHT UP IN JUST ABOUT EVERYONE'S BAND!!! I DON'T SEE NONE OF YOU ALL CALLING THAT DISCRIMINATION...........CAUSE YOU KNOW THAT **** IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!......JUST LIKE,..... WELL I WON'T EVEN SAY IT. NOW I DARE ONE OF YOU TO SAY IT AINT THE SAME....... :tdown:

I'ain neva known no dude to tryout for Stingette. :lol: Even if he did, I wouldn't care one way or another cause I don't care for auxillary anyway. :lol:

~wondering would I really care to see a guy out there on the field wearing a cape and err thing~

I take that back........I wouldn't defend it at all. :smh: But there's no comparison to a female trying out for DM.

kremesaver said:
:lmao: at SNAKE.......no offense to Clark but come on now....moving right along. I guess the young lady missed my post where I even said
There are a lot of sorry male DM in many bands. Like I said, many of these bands were founded as male organizations. Ladies marching in the band is one thing and if she makes it at a particular Univ., hey much congrads to her. :lecture: But at our school and many others, I don't see it as discrimination, I see it as protocol. How many of you have seen a girl DM at a College where the DM has a reputation of being milatant or very precise............thats what I thought!!! Prove it and I stand corrected. and I'm not talking about a school where the DM's either are know for not doing much or that is known for dancing......

:
There is more to being a DM besides puttin on that uniform and dacing all over the field. A DM has a great deal of work behind the scenes . They have administrative, authoritative, managerial responsibilities,...just to name a few. I'm sorry but,...I don't agree with you on this at all. I have worked with women that were more on point than men but, not in a DM slot. I don't think I will be around to see a female DM over here. At this point,... like psychoJag said all hell would break loose.

kremesaver said:
:read: Believe me, I'm not by far sexest in anyway. However, unless its a band where all the DM has to do is blow a whistle, I don't think it should fly. I'm not saying that a woman is incapable but a female DM to me is just like have a man on Dance Line................ :rolleyes: my point exactly!!!
This sounds like Kenny off the Cosby Show!!!! This is just sad!!!! :shame: :shame: :shame: It wasn't too long ago that people used to do the same thing to us. People said that we couldn't be quarter backs or pitchers because we couldn't handle the pressure or the resposiblity of a leadership position. Don't be that narrow minded, BUD!!!!!!!!

Prof K said:
This sounds like Kenny off the Cosby Show!!!! This is just sad!!!! :shame: :shame: :shame: It wasn't too long ago that people used to do the same thing to us. People said that we couldn't be quarter backs or pitchers because we couldn't handle the pressure or the resposiblity of a leadership position. Don't be that narrow minded, BUD!!!!!!!!

Kreme is cool folks, but he and I have argued about this before........he'en trying to hear it!! :shame: :lol:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
yvette23 said:
Kreme is cool folks, but he and I have argued about this before........he'en trying to hear it!! :shame: :lol:

Kreme is definitely cool, because I enjoy reading his posts!

But not this time......awwww sukie-sukie NOW!! :uzi: :smash: :lol:

Prof K said:

:read: Please understand, no where in any of my post have I degraded women or said that they are mediocore to men. Hell, ask anybody, I for one love to have women in the band!!!. I think thats where most of the brains come in.

:lecture: But here me out, some things you just gotta let the men have. Women want the things meant for women and the things meant for Men. If we invent something, they got to come out with a woman's version too. They don't make men versions of women things. If you feel so discriminated against,one of you ladies become a band director. Create an all "female" band and have as many DMs as you want. I bet a million dollars that the majority of women in marching band would still rather be in a coed band and still try to be a Dm in that same band!!! :cool: Women, I love you guys, please believe it :kiss: but its just some things in life you have to let "us" have. Just like you all have your escapes, so do we and we would like it if we can enjoy ours without interference!!!

Some'of yall sensitive as h*ll.....aint even tryin to hear my'boi Kreme.....like they the fugggin spokesperson for women rights advocacy group or WTH'eva.

Yea there are women out there capable of holding down a DM position, but some things you just leave alone; especially at places where you should leave well enough alone. If it aint broke dont fix'it....Stay strong SU, Bama State, FAM......maintain the tradition of male only DM's.

"Snake"

PV had two in the early 90's, and they were the truth, from the oldheads I've talked to. I've seen one in action (A. Rowe), and you'd think she was a dude if you weren't looking at her face.

Female DM's at HBCU's is not a problem...not even at SU. It only requires one thing: SUPPORT OF THE DIRECTOR.

Bring all of the old-head's out of the closet and let them say what they want, but we know that if Doc Greggs were to do a 180 (yeah, right) and announce that the next SU DM was a female, no one would openly challenge him. Why? Because they already know the smackdown they would get if they did it. The same is true for every other program.

I don't care who you are...if the director is not supporting you, all the skills in the world won't get you respect. By the same token, if you have the skills and the support, you can command the points of the job.

dacontinent said:
Female DM's at HBCU's is not a problem...not even at SU. It only requires one thing: SUPPORT OF THE DIRECTOR.

Bring all of the old-head's out of the closet and let them say what they want, but we know that if Doc Greggs were to do a 180 (yeah, right) and announce that the next SU DM was a female, no one would openly challenge him. Why? Because they already know the smackdown they would get if they did it. The same is true for every other program.

I don't care who you are...if the director is not supporting you, all the skills in the world won't get you respect. By the same token, if you have the skills and the support, you can command the points of the job.

Not narry a soul would buck up!

dacontinent said:

:| Wanna BET!!!!! I don't care who the Dir. is including Doc., if a girl makes it at FAM, SU, or BAMA ST. one of two things gonna happen. OLD heads will tear that B**ch up or the whole band will WALK, plain and simple. Do you think the DIR is willing to take that risk.......heLLLLLLLL naw. Now he may threathen the crabs by taking their scholarship money if they walk, but let a crab step on the bandfield against "ALL" the Upperclassmen......you already know.

:lecture: I disagree with you on another thing, I don't know about your school but whether you like the DM or not, if a ni**a is skilled, you can't take that away!!! I'm living proof......fortunantly me and the Dir got a long but that had nothing to do with my respect in the band. In our band, if you ain't on yo s***, they gonna let you know. A lot a cats in the band didn't like me for whatever reason "my motto, mutha had'em, mutha f***'em" but they couldn't say nothing cause I was on my ****. I earned my respect plus the Dir wouldn't let you be DM if you couldn't earn your own respect.

:rolleyes: Futhermore, you said the problem can be solved as long as there is support from the Director. I don't know about that. Apparently, if you can't hold your own and control the band in the absense of/or support of the Director, you don't need to be a damn DM anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

huh, remember...THE PRICE OF GLORY IS HIGH...!!!!!!!!

SLT said:
kreme, being honest...by tearing up the place or walking....who is that gonna hurt?

:bowdown: Honestly, I do feel you SLT, but I was being just a tad bit sarcastic with tearing it up but you all know what I mean. On another note, I know those solutions may sound harsh but if YOU DON'T STAND FOR NOTHING, YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING.

Question.....would you support a "fag" going out for Jaysette(sp), Dancin Doll, Foxy Lady?????? I still haven't heard not one WOMAN speak on that.....cause you all know you have no defense on that. If you defend it, YOU'RE LYING........if you are against it, you contradict every point you made of why a female should be DM..............NOW I DARE SOMEBODY TO COME BACK WITH SOMETHING CAUSE I'M READY..........LOL. :cool:

Back