Fantasia's "Baby Mama" Song

Status
Not open for further replies.
northern tiger said:
It's a negative perception that's been embraced by the women in our community. Songs of this nature like it was mentioned earlier makes it more accepting of women who are in this situation not to deal with real isssues of their predicament but to devalue themselves because of the circumstances.

I am trying to understand what song you are listening to and what world you are living in. The things you are saying simply don't make sense. A baby mama is a baby mama. Half of us on here were probably raised by a single mother and saw the struggles that they went through. The problem is you think that a person that is a baby mama has something to be ashamed of. They are going to be called baby mamas regardless so why make them feel bad about it. I even heard my wife say once that a young lady threw her life away by getting pregnant...I was like........ :confused: How? Because people put that in their heads. Why not put something positive in their heads? It's not saying get pregnant, it's saying if you do (planned or not), still hold your head up and move on with your life, love your child, and be a good parent. Teenage girls have been getting pregnant long before Fantasia's song.

mighty hornet said:
ummm, we have the lyrics posted here, so what is it about her "presentation" that is sooooooo strong that will actually make somebody want to be "in the baby mamma club"

sheesh, Fantasia must be bad as L if her "presentation" is that good.

:smh:

OK....imagine India Arie turning these lyrics into a song and then imagine Missy Elliot turning those same lyrics into a song. Now if you can't see the spectrum of emotions that could be evoked between the two then I don't know what else to say.

And Eddie Murphy said his girl likes to 'Party All The Time!'

Didn't mean I did it. And being honest, I didnt/don't attend parties because I don't like being in the midst of loud crowds.

Tigerpride said:
I am trying to understand what song you are listening to and what world you are living in. The things you are saying simply don't make sense. A baby mama is a baby mama. Half of us on here were probably raised by a single mother and saw the struggles that they went through. The problem is you think that a person that is a baby mama has something to be ashamed of. They are going to be called baby mamas regardless so why make them feel bad about it. I even heard my wife say once that a young lady threw her life away by getting pregnant...I was like........ :confused: How? Because people put that in their heads. Why not put something positive in their heads? It's not saying get pregnant, it's saying if you do (planned or not), still hold your head up and move on with your life, love your child, and be a good parent. Teenage girls have been getting pregnant long before Fantasia's song.
somebody call the law, cause I'm agreeing with TP.
:D

All kidding aside, that was a good post.
:tup:

SLT said:
Parents need to step up and not sugar-coat things.

Mine hid absolutely nothing. :lol: ... and I'm grateful, too. Back then, I knew more at 7 than some teenagers and young adults.

Tigerpride, that was a very good post. :tup:

Blaque Prince, just FYI, Missy Elliott had a lot to do w/Fantasia's entire CD.

SU's Finest '93 said:
Tigerpride, that was a very good post. :tup:

Blaque Prince, just FYI, Missy Elliott had a lot to do w/Fantasia's entire CD.

I know she did....thats why I picked her lol.

mighty hornet said:
from looking at the lyrics posted, whats the problem?

btw, if yall have problems with that song, then surely you all have problems with gangsta rap, songs that degrade women, "glorify" dropping out of school, "glorify" all kind of guns and weapons, violence, etc....

I have a problem with todays so called "gangsta rap" because of a perpetuation of a mentallity that was adopted by segment of a population that if never introduced to the concept would have never exhibited that behavior (Common makes gang references in his music not because it's popular but because it was part of his enviroment before "Boyz In The Hood" or migration of a gang from another part of the country).

Artist: Common f/ Bilal
Album: Like Water For Chocolate
Song: Nag Champa (Afrodisiac for the World)

Some say "You changin, Rashid"
Times are, we still close
I rhyme far, away away away
From what you accustomed to hearin everyday, uh-ah
You know the dope-choppin, gun-poppin, homies dyin
I'm amongst it, save the war stories for Private Ryan, INI

Negro, I saw "Menace II Society" six times at the movies, got NWA, Ice-T, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Spice One, Menace II Society soundtrack, and Easy-E on album, cassette, and cds so that's beside the point. Gang influence was a part of my everyday activity before these artist were released so that was nothing new. And you can't compare gang life to a woman who considers herself to a babys moma. A gang don't follow you around for the rest of your life(unless you have an adult record) like a child does. You all have to do better.

Tigerpride said:
The problem is you think that a person that is a baby mama has something to be ashamed of. They are going to be called baby mamas regardless so why make them feel bad about it. I even heard my wife say once that a young lady threw her life away by getting pregnant...I was like........ :confused: How? Because people put that in their heads. Why not put something positive in their heads? It's not saying get pregnant, it's saying if you do (planned or not), still hold your head up and move on with your life, love your child, and be a good parent. Teenage girls have been getting pregnant long before Fantasia's song.

I hear what you're saying.
However, the reality is that not all will walk away with that same message.
I see it, you see, SU Finest sees it, MH sees it... but possibly a young mind, an elderly person or another parent may not though.

And like I said earlier, the term/name, "Baby's moma" by itself does NOT carry a positive image. A reality? Very much Yes!!! But drama, negativity, etc. are what follows that name in this society.

I don't know why yaw trippin'. We all know that their is a didn't frame of reference of a "single mother" and "A baby's momma". Yaw trippin'.

CriTAUcal said:
I see it, you see, SU Finest sees it, MH sees it... but possibly a young mind, an elderly person or another parent may not though.

And like I said earlier, the term/name, "Baby's moma" by itself does NOT carry a positive image. A reality? Very much Yes!!! But drama, negativity, etc. are what follows that name in this society.

I don't like that term just like I don't like 'baby-daddy'.

The term is not impressive at all.

CriTAUcal said:

There must be sumthin' to dis cause' me n' you is agreein'. :lol:

Well, the term should be what the argument is about and NOT the lyrics.

The lyrics are reality.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
And if you think these young girls won't do something as foolish on purpose I can show you some around the age of 23 that will.....and sometimes with the encouragement of their own parental figures.

You KNOW that is not because of a song...right?

SLT said:
Well, the term should be what the argument is about and NOT the lyrics.

The lyrics are reality.

I hate the term. My son's mother won't be referred to as my "baby mama" by me. I just don't like the fact that he likes it...lol. That tells me that she plays it a lil too much...knowing she ain't struggling. LOL

northern tiger said:
A gang don't follow you around for the rest of your life(unless you have an adult record) like a child does.
You're posting that like the gangs referenced in gangsta rap were some do-good boy scouts or a 4-H group and not the dope dealing, drive by shooting, drop out, neighboorhood terrorists they were.

jag4life said:
I hate the term. My son's mother won't be referred to as my "baby mama" by me. I just don't like the fact that he likes it...lol. That tells me that she plays it a lil too much...knowing she ain't struggling. LOL

Fantasia also was abused by the father of her child. This is a song from her perspective and for those who DID get caught up not to give up. Everyone needs encouragement no matter what wrongs you have done.

Again, I don't like that term...baby-mama, but the age in time in which she was coming up as a teen, that's what is being said. She's only what...19, 20?

Tigerpride said:

Yup this was a very good post. Now I do agree that the term "baby mama" isn't the best term, but the song itself isn't bad. If someone can see paying bills, going to school, going to work, and being fed up as something glamorous then I don't know what to tell ya. It would appear that their problems started long before the song was written.

Shamocha said:
If someone can see paying bills, going to school, going to work, and being fed up as something glamorous then I don't know what to tell ya.

Married mothers sometimes catch hell with this. :lol:

SLT said:
Fantasia also was abused by the father of her child. This is a song from her perspective and for those who DID get caught up not to give up. Everyone needs encouragement no matter what wrongs you have done.

It says nothing about abuse.

I understand where she is coming from in the song, though.

jag4life said:
It says nothing about abuse...but

I'm aware of that! That was the purpose of the word...'also', which means in addition to.

I just threw in that information because for her, it was also a part of her struggles as a single mother. It also doesn't mean all single mothers experience everything she said in her song.

But for most, it is not a tea party.

mighty hornet said:
You're posting that like the gangs referenced in gangsta rap were some do-good boy scouts or a 4-H group and not the dope dealing, drive by shooting, drop out, neighboorhood terrorists they were.

NO, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Being in a gang is phase that you go through when you don't have a support system to deter you away from that lifestyle, not a lifetime commitment of a child.

jag4life said:
You KNOW that is not because of a song...right?

I didn't say it was. My point was that people are foolish enough to do this. So why put the issue to a catchy tune as if to promote membership in the guild of baby mamas? Why make it an anthem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back