Fantasia's "Baby Mama" Song

Status
Not open for further replies.

THAMES

It seems some folks are having a problem with the new "Single Moms National Athem". I actually like the song. Anybody on the board have any problem with the song or seen heard lyrics?

------
11-001.jpg

Fantasia (f/s)

Fantasia says ?Baby Mama? meant to inspire

?Idol? winner criticized for promoting out of wedlock birthsThe Associated Press
Updated: 2:59 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2005HIGH POINT, N.C. - Reigning American Idol Fantasia Barrino said one song on her new CD, ?Free Yourself,? is dedicated to young mothers who struggle to support themselves and their children ? just as she does.
Her ?Baby Mama? track has elicited some criticism as endorsing children out of wedlock, but Barrino, 20, said she isn?t promoting teenage motherhood.

Link ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6923967/

northern tiger said:
Its just a bogus song in general and it also perpetuates the jacked-up mentality of women in that situation.
How is it a jacked up mentality to encourage someone who is in a messed up situation? All she's saying is even though you struggling to raise your kids you can still have dreams and make something of yourself.

[chorus]
B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A
This goes out to all my baby mamas
B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A
I got love for all my baby mamas

It's about time we had our own song
Don't know what took so long
Cuz now-a-days it like a badge of honer
To be a baby mama
I see ya payin' ya bills
I see ya workin' ya job
I see ya goin' to school
And girl I know it's hard
And even though ya fed up
With makin' beds up
Girl, keep ya head up
All my

[chorus]
B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A
B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A

I see you get that support check in the mail
Ya open it and your like "What the Hell"
You say "This ain't even half of daycare"
Sayin to yourself "This here ain't fair"
And all my girls who don't get no help
Who gotta do everything by yourself
Remeber: What don't kill you can you stronger
My baby mama...

[chorus]
B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A
B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A

Cuz we the backbone (of the hood)
I always knew that (that we could)
We can go anywhere, we can do anything
I know we can make it if we dream
And I think it should be a holiday
For single mothers tryin' to make a way
But until then
Here is your song
Show love to my....

[chorus]
B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A
B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A

I understand where some of you would see this as encouragement to "baby mommas" but I don't think you realize it is also an advertisement for young ladies who are not baby mammas to become one.

Sometimes we celebrate and honor the wrong things in this country. If you have made a mistake and you are handling your biz thats good but lets not glorify the mistake so that others will follow the same path seeking that glorification.

And if you think these young girls won't do something as foolish on purpose I can show you some around the age of 23 that will.....and sometimes with the encouragement of their own parental figures.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
I understand where some of you would see this as encouragement to "baby mommas" but I don't think you realize it is also an advertisement for young ladies who are not baby mammas to become one.

Sometimes we celebrate and honor the wrong things in this country. If you have made a mistake and you are handling your biz thats good but lets not glorify the mistake so that others will follow the same path seeking that glorification.

And if you think these young girls won't do something as foolish on purpose I can show you some around the age of 23 that will.....and sometimes with the encouragement of their own parental figures.

Very, very good point.
And plus, the name "baby mommas" does not carry a positive connotation.
Maybe if this song was titled and worded different, it would be different. Shrugs shoulders.
Nonetheless, I applaud single mothers. Some of them got kids who are more well-behaved and more successful than those that come from 2-parent households.

Those same words can also be a discouragement to young women and men who don't want to get caught up.

I don't see glorification...I see reality. Sugar-coating these issue aid in the continuation of things like this. In this song, she is telling the reality of being a single young mother. I see no glorification in those words at all. I see hard struggles. And if the people who are turned away by this song would push that issue, you might see a change.

from looking at the lyrics posted, whats the problem?

btw, if yall have problems with that song, then surely you all have problems with gangsta rap, songs that degrade women, "glorify" dropping out of school, "glorify" all kind of guns and weapons, violence, etc....

mighty hornet said:

btw, if yall have problems with that song, then surely you all have problems with gangsta rap, songs that degrade women, "glorify" dropping out of school, "glorify" all kind of guns and weapons, violence, etc....

Thank you MH! They have a problem, but they still listen to them.

mighty hornet said:

Uh, I sure do!!!!!! And I don't listen to that mess either.

And I don't have a problem with Fantasia's song. I read the lyrics, but I do see how people in general could take it the wrong way.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
I understand where some of you would see this as encouragement to "baby mommas" but I don't think you realize it is also an advertisement for young ladies who are not baby mammas to become one. Sometimes we celebrate and honor the wrong things in this country.

Exactly... :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

mighty hornet said:

:bowdown:

Please don't get me started on that rap mess. :tdown: Fantasia's doing her thing, matter of fact, she just went platinum...so, the hell w/what folks think/or say. Obviously, there's a million others that do NOT have a problem w/her lyrics.

Personally, I think the song is great....I think she's telling the truth and giving a very POSITIVE message in the song. There's nothing wrong with single Mothers.

Maybe its just me but....

No one is going around neccesarily heralding rap as positive. I just can't put it in the same category knowing how some people will take this song. Once again I see the positive intent in the song but when you actualy HEAR the song you can quickly see how young girls can mistakenly get the wrong message. The song is a catchy anthem rather than a song showing struggles.

Now yes you can be stupid and throw your life away by following what you hear in a rap song. But to bring a baby into the world based on a song is another level.

Once again I do agree that those words can encourage people to not follow that path....but if you have not HEARD the song I would want you to do so before making a final decision. The melody puts it in a whole other light.

Shamocha said:
How is it a jacked up mentality to encourage someone who is in a messed up situation?

It's a negative perception that's been embraced by the women in our community. Songs of this nature like it was mentioned earlier makes it more accepting of women who are in this situation not to deal with real isssues of their predicament but to devalue themselves because of the circumstances.

Being a mother is not a sin.

A baby is not a sin.

What is the sin?

But since those opposed are not having premarital sex....... :shades:

Again....those opposed should push the struggles and reality instead of putting the song down, you might see a change in the way young people think..

Agreeing with Crit.....maybe the word 'Baby Momma' should be changed, but 98% of her words are reality.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
Maybe its just me but....

No one is going around neccesarily heralding rap as positive. I just can't put it in the same category knowing how some people will take this song. Once again I see the positive intent in the song but when you actualy HEAR the song you can quickly see how young girls can mistakenly get the wrong message. The song is a catchy anthem rather than a song showing struggles.

Now yes you can be stupid and throw your life away by following what you hear in a rap song. But to bring a baby into the world based on a song is another level.

Once again I do agree that those words can encourage people to not follow that path....but if you have not HEARD the song I would want you to do so before making a final decision. The melody puts it in a whole other light.

Fantasia never once stated, in her lyrics, that young girls should go out and get pregnant. It's not a song that advocates pregnancy. She's sending a message to Single Mothers, that just b/c you're in that situation, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Keep your head and handle your business. I don't know what lyrics you all are listening to.

I do understand your point though, I'm just defending Fantasia's lyrics.

Oh and for those of you who have a problem with rap....how many of you stray away from watching action movies that blatantly glorify gun violence, wrecklesness, murder, etc.

SU's Finest '93 said:
Fantasia never once stated, in her lyrics, that young girls should go out and get pregnant. It's not a song that advocates pregnancy. She's sending a message to Single Mothers, that just b/c you're in that situation, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Keep your head and handle your business. I don't know what lyrics you all are listening to.

I do understand your point though, I'm just defending Fantasia's lyrics.

Have you HEARD the song? I know you see one thing reading the lyrics and it looks like it can really paint a picture that needs to be painted. But presentation plays a part and its not presented in a manner that would cause a young lady to stray away from the situation. You honestly just have to hear it.

Put it this way...the song makes it sound like you missing out on being in the baby mamma club rather than avoiding it.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
Have you HEARD the song? I know you see one thing reading the lyrics and it looks like it can really paint a picture that needs to be painted. But presentation plays a part and its not presented in a manner that would cause a young lady to stray away from the situation. You honestly just have to hear it.

It's quite obvious I've HEARD the song, if I just stated, "not once did she state young girls should go out and get pregnant". I have her CD, so yes, I've heard the song.

We'll just agree to disagree b/c I don't agree w/your statements.

Truth is: Music has a great deal (if not, too much) of influence.

I see the positives and the negatives of this song in how different people could interpret this differently.
The song is reality...

SLT said:
Being a mother is not a sin.

A baby is not a sin.

What is the sin?

But since those opposed are not having premarital sex....... :shades:

Again....those opposed should push the struggles and reality instead of putting the song down, you might see a change in the way young people think..

Agreeing with Crit.....maybe the word 'Baby Momma' should be changed, but 98% of her words are reality.

"FORNICATION" you just can't beat it. :lmao:

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
Put it this way...the song makes it sound like you missing out on being in the baby mamma club rather than avoiding it.

I want to hear this song!

BLAQUE PRINCE said:

ummm, we have the lyrics posted here, so what is it about her "presentation" that is sooooooo strong that will actually make somebody want to be "in the baby mamma club"

sheesh, Fantasia must be bad as L if her "presentation" is that good.

:smh:

CriTAUcal said:
Truth is: Music has a great deal (if not, too much) of influence.

I see the positives and the negatives of this song in how different people could interpret this differently.
The song is reality...

I agree. I just feel the song could have been done in another style than a party anthem. I like the lil catchy tune so I can only imagine how others must look at it.

PLOW DOG said:
"FORNICATION" you just can't beat it. :lmao:

I had to say it Plow Dog.

Now if that is taught .......you won't have to worry about the end result.....pregnancy. ;)

Parents need to step up and not sugar-coat things.

I don't have kids, but you ought to hear how I talk to my neices/nephews/cousins. I don't sugar-coat nay-thing! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back