FAMU band suspended for 2012-2013 school year

BTW guys, the issue isn't about FSU or TCC kids who march with the 100(there is a dual enrollment program in which FSU students take classes at FAMU and Vice Versa)...the issue is the kats who weren't enrolled in anyone's band marching...and tthree of those kids participating in the Bus C sh*t.

Last edited:
Bruh, it's makes you wonder if BCU band are all current students ........... hmmmmm???

LOL...they went from this

[video=youtube;nNVjGbyNJW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNVjGbyNJW4[/video]

to this real quick

[video=youtube;QIiWz0aP34A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIiWz0aP34A[/video]

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Everyone may not be on scholarship in the Jukebox but we don't take folks not enrolled in school and we don't take folks enrolled at other schools.

FAMU has been doing this for YEARS. They got caught with Community College folks in the band a few years ago when they go in trouble at that hotel for taking T.V.'s and stuff.

I wouldnt say they got "caught"..... they have dual enrollment with Tally Community College... FAMU has never hid that they have students from TCC in their band. From what Ive heard its no more than 15 people.... This 101 incident isnt about community college students... These 101 werent enrolled in college PERIOD. This isnt out of the norm... In the AUC (which has dual enrollment) you could march at any of the schools... I never understood why somebody at Morehouse just didnt march at Morris Brown....

I wouldnt say they got "caught"..... they have dual enrollment with Tally Community College... FAMU has never hid that they have students from TCC in their band. From what Ive heard its no more than 15 people.... This 101 incident isnt about community college students... These 101 werent enrolled in college PERIOD. This isnt out of the norm... In the AUC (which has dual enrollment) you could march at any of the schools... I never understood why somebody at Morehouse just didnt march at Morris Brown....

See I was confused by the numbers of who was enrolled in college just not enrolled in the marching band class (whether enrolled at FAMU or at another school) and who wasn't enrolled in school period.

Also...you're right about the fact that it wasn't hidden b/c in one of those articles posted it mentioned how one of the past Presidents of FAMU stopped students from marching if they weren't enrolled at FAMU. She said the numbers for the band dropped and that the remaining band students threatended to boycott and she told them you don't march you lose your scholarships. :lol:

I agree
I will put money on that for sure. No BRCC dudes or gals are marching in the Jukebox. Even when I was on the yard back in the 80s, it was hard for cats who were not enrolled in school to try that crap.

I fail to understand how what school kids go to has anything to do with why the band is suspended. I can understand why they are in trouble because they marched unrolled kids but EVERYONE has known that FAMU lets other university students march in the band. A&T used to let girls from Bennett march. This is not so out of the norm and WE ALL knew about how FAMU was doing it. I don't think they are in trouble becasue they let kids from other schools march. They are in trouble becasue those kids were supposed to sign up for a music class and FAMU and they never did.

Now you know Mo Brown was the ghetto school of the AUC. No one from uppity Morehouse would have wanted to be affiliated with that. :lol: However, I would also assume that a person from Morehouse would need a good reason to be allowed to march with MoB. On top of that, believe it or not, the cats I knew who marched in Morehouse's band thought they were good.

I fail to understand how what school kids go to has anything to do with why the band is suspended. I can understand why they are in trouble because they marched unrolled kids but EVERYONE has known that FAMU lets other university students march in the band. A&T used to let girls from Bennett march. This is not so out of the norm and WE ALL knew about how FAMU was doing it. I don't think they are in trouble becasue they let kids from other schools march. They are in trouble becasue those kids were supposed to sign up for a music class and FAMU and they never did.

I can understand that A&T let Bennett girls march since they didn't have a band. Just like Morehouse allowed Spelman girls to participate in band and their dance teams. That is understandable. It is not that we are shocked about it. My question is why did FAMU need to do that? If their was an all girls college nearby or kids were cross enrolled at FAMU for at least enough hours to participate in band, I can understand that. But it was absolutely no reason they needed to do that. FAMU could have fielded a large band with just FAMU students. With the history and tradition of that band, they should have been more particular about that in my opinion. Meaning they should have just made it exclusive to full time enrolled FAMU students. That's my opinion.

As for this incident. I agree that is separate issue. The 101 kids they found out about were not enrolled anywhere it looks like or they didn't follow the proper process to participate in FAMU's band which like you said, is the reason they are even in more trouble. That organization has used some bad practices that has caught up to them. They should have never allowed folks even if enrolled to march more than 5 years in my opinion. Doc was pretty strict about the 4 years and done rule when I marched at SU. There were a few exceptions of folks who got ASKED to do an extra year. Mainly for leadership purposes in a particular section that may need it. Or maybe someone sat out a year and came back. But never like this. I know some bands even in the SWAC who have allowed folks to hang around forever. Too me, it is just not a good thing. Do you time and move on. You can't be a career bandsmen. The only folks I might allow to stay longer than 4 years if I was a band director would be someone who is majoring in Music and intends to be a band director. But you better believe they would be of high character and I can count on them to be a LEADER and not succumb to stuff they may have when they were underclassmen.

Yes sir, they have some sort of partnership with HCC for potential music majors who want to start off at the community college and transfer to TxSU.

Wow, I didn't know that. Well to me, I would still not allow it. Especially not their Freshman year at HCC. It is a reason they are there in the first place. Don't know what TxSU admission standards are. But I would imagine if a kid has to go to HCC, they can't get into TxSU. So in my mind, you are not ready to be participating in extracurricular activities. They would have to wait until they were officially at TxSU and in the music program. I assume they need enough band hours to complete the music degree? Is that why they allow them to participate in the marching band?

TP, this is not about kids from other schools marching. The ISSUE is there were random kids/adults
Marching in their band. Folks who were not enrolled at NNUC (NAN-Nobody's University/College).

That's like Lil Joe marching & playing trumpet for the boom all season, participating in hazing rituals & even being responsibe for a drum major's death!

Therefore you have someone who's not in college PERIOD marching/killing/hazing folk in your band... That's why it's NOT LOOKING GOOD FOR THEM.
Don't nobody really care about them jr college kids marching or whatever. That's The not the problem bc that's legal.

Wow, I didn't know that. Well to me, I would still not allow it. Especially not their Freshman year at HCC. It is a reason they are there in the first place. Don't know what TxSU admission standards are. But I would imagine if a kid has to go to HCC, they can't get into TxSU. So in my mind, you are not ready to be participating in extracurricular activities. They would have to wait until they were officially at TxSU and in the music program. I assume they need enough band hours to complete the music degree? Is that why they allow them to participate in the marching band?

Maybe GUD has been living under a rock but I didnt know stuff like this is happening.. I think if your gonna march in any mrching band YOU NEED TO BE ENROLLED. SMH SMH :crazy::crazy::tdown::tdown:

Dr.Oliver didnt play that ish at Bama State..the band would start off huge but as the season went on the band would get smaller because he kicked out folks that didnt have validated schedules. "If you not validated, you not dedicated"

He'd have folks go to the registrars office and have them print up your class schedule..if it didnt say validated at the bottom you were gone

They should have never allowed folks even if enrolled to march more than 5 years in my opinion. Doc was pretty strict about the 4 years and done rule when I marched at SU. There were a few exceptions of folks who got ASKED to do an extra year. Mainly for leadership purposes in a particular section that may need it. Or maybe someone sat out a year and came back. But never like this. I know some bands even in the SWAC who have allowed folks to hang around forever. Too me, it is just not a good thing. Do you time and move on. You can't be a career bandsmen. The only folks I might allow to stay longer than 4 years if I was a band director would be someone who is majoring in Music and intends to be a band director. But you better believe they would be of high character and I can count on them to be a LEADER and not succumb to stuff they may have when they were underclassmen.

He'd have folks go to the registrars office and have them print up your class schedule..if it didnt say validated at the bottom you were gone

These were the standards that Griff used as well. Wow this has really opened my eyes to the talent & size of bands. I'm of the opinion that if you have people in your band that aren't in your school then your sound, look, and performances are fraudulent. Its not real to me. I had no idea TxSU was doing things of this nature as well smh.

Last edited:
Also...you're right about the fact that it wasn't hidden b/c in one of those articles posted it mentioned how one of the past Presidents of FAMU stopped students from marching if they weren't enrolled at FAMU. She said the numbers for the band dropped and that the remaining band students threatended to boycott and she told them you don't march you lose your scholarships. :lol:

Yep...it was back in 2006...they didn't sound bad at all

[video=youtube;Zs5Ecsoj9GY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs5Ecsoj9GY[/video]

I remember the 06 Famu band looking small at the ATL Classic and asking a Famu alum what happened to the numbers?..and thats when I first learned about TCC being cut out!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I can understand that A&T let Bennett girls march since they didn't have a band. Just like Morehouse allowed Spelman girls to participate in band and their dance teams. That is understandable. It is not that we are shocked about it. My question is why did FAMU need to do that? If their was an all girls college nearby or kids were cross enrolled at FAMU for at least enough hours to participate in band, I can understand that. But it was absolutely no reason they needed to do that. FAMU could have fielded a large band with just FAMU students. With the history and tradition of that band, they should have been more particular about that in my opinion. Meaning they should have just made it exclusive to full time enrolled FAMU students. That's my opinion.

As for this incident. I agree that is separate issue. The 101 kids they found out about were not enrolled anywhere it looks like or they didn't follow the proper process to participate in FAMU's band which like you said, is the reason they are even in more trouble. That organization has used some bad practices that has caught up to them. They should have never allowed folks even if enrolled to march more than 5 years in my opinion. Doc was pretty strict about the 4 years and done rule when I marched at SU. There were a few exceptions of folks who got ASKED to do an extra year. Mainly for leadership purposes in a particular section that may need it. Or maybe someone sat out a year and came back. But never like this. I know some bands even in the SWAC who have allowed folks to hang around forever. Too me, it is just not a good thing. Do you time and move on. You can't be a career bandsmen. The only folks I might allow to stay longer than 4 years if I was a band director would be someone who is majoring in Music and intends to be a band director. But you better believe they would be of high character and I can count on them to be a LEADER and not succumb to stuff they may have when they were underclassmen.

I read another article this isnt just a FAMU thing... all Universities in Florida allow community college students to march in their band. They interviewed Florida State, UCF, Florida, and South Florida band directors also. With Tallahassee Community College they can march at FAMU or Florida State.

They could just not be able to afford TxSU at that point.

Well it wasn't like that back in the day. I know some folks for sure from Atl who marched..........
Dr.Oliver didnt play that ish at Bama State..the band would start off huge but as the season went on the band would get smaller because he kicked out folks that didnt have validated schedules. "If you not validated, you not dedicated"

This thread goes to prove that it's very difficult to manage and control that many people with different personalities. Somewhere along the lines, the band director and university must have some kind of control over individuals that are representing the school wherever they go.

They could just not be able to afford TxSU at that point.

Local kids can't afford TxSU? I don't buy that. I am sure some kids can't. But not to the point that TxSU needs to have those HCC kids be in their band. Prof Lee should not allow those community college kids in his program. I assume he is being forced to by administration if they have some partnership with the CC. You have to protect your brand. If they want to be in the Ocean, they should be able to enroll. It is not a right to be in these organizations, it is a privilege. In my best Doc Greggs voice, I would like to have you, but I don't need you.

Last edited:
This thread goes to prove that it's very difficult to manage and control that many people with different personalities. Somewhere along the lines, the band director and university must have some kind of control over individuals that are representing the school wherever they go.

Which becomes skewed when you allow all these kids from all these other places to be in your program. How can you truly love that band and school when you don't even go there or just a part timer. FAMU should have stopped that practice no matter what the state of Florida allows. I could see Doc telling a kid, hey you can go to LSU with all that. But you aint about to be in the Jukebox if you are not coming to SU full time. LOL. To me it starts with the kids you recruit or allow in anyway. It's already difficult as it is to control different personalities and upbringing when get kids from everywhere in your program. But then you add the dynamic of kids who don't even attend you school or maybe just take one class. I couldn't be the band director where I am forced to allow kids from other than the school I am teaching in my program. Morehouse and some others are the exception since I can see Spelman ladies being allowed in their band. Sister school to Morehouse. That makes sense. But all this CC stuff does not to me. But again it is just my opinion. LOL.

Re: FAMU Band to stay suspended

Sounds like a good decision to me. It's way too soon to go back on the field without cleaning up and getting the house in order.

Y'all gone learn today!!! For real, this may just send the message.
Key word, may. You know time and lapse of learning can cause problems for people AFTER the incident. We can all hope.

Last edited:
Re: FAMU Band to stay suspended

Remember a while back when some of us suggested that the band director and president resign.

Back